The bennings thing is the freakiest, right? something about it being half way transformed, in a vulnerable state

the bennings thing is the freakiest, right? something about it being half way transformed, in a vulnerable state.

Other urls found in this thread:

clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
youtu.be/q5vLzE21fRY?t=79
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's the sounds

>sits there with its mouth open
>hands up no defensive posture
>lets itself get burned with a light toss of a flare
>but muh every cell wants to preserve its own life

P...please....

i always assumed it couldn't really switch gears fast while it's in the middle of absorbing something

What do you call having the sensation of cold chills running down your back out of fear in english? Whatever it's called I got it during that scene.

It's called The Tingler

chills/tingles/goosebumps

Yea it was also stumbling as it ran away before falling to its knees.

chills imply you're shivering though, right?
tingles implies a sort of stinging sensation which youcan sometimes get if your leg gets numb as it's regaining sense.
Goosebumps to me is a positive feeling but it's the closest of the three. The etymology for it in our language is of a cold breeze on the ocean which kind of describes it for me, when I feel it at the back of my neck. So I guess goosebumps but in a negative sense is the closest word?

You should read that short story told from the Thing's perspective. Maybe then you'll learn to be a bit more respectful.

Short story? I'm interested now.

He dindu nuffin!

Lmao

hey, I know I'm being autistic about this but I'm trying to work out the differneces here. English is super rich but you guys keep mixing these expressions for different things so it's hard to know what you mean exactly.

You would just say that gave me the creeps

just sounds like slang, like saying "it gave me the heebeegeebees"

So Yuri from In Bruges is browsing Sup Forums these days, eh?

It's pretty hilarious, although I disagree with the interpretation that childs is a thing since there's a comic book sequel that disproves this.

Anyways:
clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

if you don't know English why the fuck are you arguing with him? He told you the answer. It's "the chills." Ex: "That scene gave me the chills." The meaning is exactly as you described. Very rarely do terms and concepts from different languages line up this nicely, so accept it and move on.

If you want an adjective you can also use "spine-tingling" which describes the same sensation. I've never heard anyone use it as a noun though.

X "That movie gave me the spine-tingles."
O "That movie was spine-tingling."

Feels kind of outdated and cheesy though, I think it's mostly relegated to reviews or advertisments.

Goosebumps are when your hairs raise up. It's also a response to being scared or creeped out but it's a completely different physiological reaction.

so "the chills" have nothing to do with shivering then, but is closer to getting goosebumps but in a way related to fear?

Yes. The chills is when you get spooked. The term for shivering is "shivering".

right, but "chills" on its own is shivering right? Like when getting a fever?

Listen here you little shit. You're way off baseline.

Will you give me 48 hours to obsessively read through etmylology wikis before retiring me at least?

Overrated movie

reminder childs is the thing because when we see him go outside into the storm he's stumbling the same way bennings-thing was stumbling in this scene.

why was the thing alien such a fucking spaz?

isnt it supposed to be intelligent enough to use a spacecraft?

also what does it actually want?

It may have initially wanted to consume everyone but it changed plans to build a ship and leave during the tests. Eventually it sperged out and destroyed everything so that everyone dies and it can go back to sleep until someone else wakes it back up in the future.

Someone walked over your grave

How the fuck does the thing work? Does it kill the person and then turn into them? Where does it hide the body?
Or does it inhabit the person? If so, then why the "transformation"?

contrarian faggot

I love this movie so much. It always leaves you wanting more. I wish there was just a few more moments of paranoia. Maybe a few more crew members to get picked off. The prequel doesnt do it justice in any way

It doesn't inhabit the person, it absorbs them and melds with them. It mimics them perfectly after consuming the body.

Just the idea of talking to a group of people knowing some of them looking back at you are monster aliens gets to me

Answer me this nigger. Why is the movie good?

It consumes them on a cellular level and then is able to replicate them. The Thing had just eaten him, and is now in the process of replicating him.

>*record scratch*
>"Yup, that's me...right before I get burned to death."
>"You're probably wondering how I got these hands, so bare with me while I tell you my story"

Because it doesn't have any women

>comic book sequel that disproves this.

The same comic book sequel that had the thing chase Mac to a jungle and attack him while dual wielding flame throwers?

So the Thing is basically Alex Mercer in Prototype.

I never understood the Thing.
Did the victims know they were the Thing? Like was the Thing going around thinking "aw shit nigga they haven't worked it out haha" or did the Thing only pop out once the other people realised there was something wrong with the host?
I always thought it was the former but the video game fucked it all up. I assume it's not canon anyway.

So the point of the alien is that it mimics living things. As the movie goes on, it gets better and better at mimicry, which is supposed to make it scarier. But at the same time, it introduces this idea that, once it copies humans well enough, then it just is a human. It has empathy and can understand other people as clearly and truly as any real person. The whole point of the ending is that they're both Things, looking at each other and talking to each other and understanding that. You can take it like a bad ending, since they'll be able to leave the base there and spread around the world, but that's too negative a reading, I think. They will spread around the world, but they won't be any more hostile or vicious than any human being. It could just as well lead to some kind of true global harmony and peace as anything terrible. The scary and monstrous beginning is just an awkward and strange alien version of how gross and violent and strange birth is for familiar animals.

It's left ambiguous.
FWIW the Thing replicated Norris so perfectly that he suffered a heart attack.

I always liked the idea that they were both Things at the end, but they weren't mimicking empathy. They just didn't know whether or not the other person was a Thing. So the Things are in the same situation of paranoia the humans were not long ago.

i though they stated that the black guy was the thing cause Kurt Russell character made him drink petrol or something

youtu.be/q5vLzE21fRY?t=79

that may simply be a popular theory, though I know the one about visible breath is almost certainly wrong

What I don't get is if the thing was so powerful and could just copy people why did it need the bubble head minion and the dog minion?

Cuck

that's because it imitated Benning's gunshot wound and couldn't run
>a perfect imitation