Why does everyone talk about every Mad Max movie except the first one, the best one...

Why does everyone talk about every Mad Max movie except the first one, the best one? Deepest and most realistic and complex characters, subtle but much better background lore, powerful themes, beautiful cinematography, great sense of humor, one of the kinoest of kinos, all time.

Thunderdome became sort of a meme but its still recognized as the worst one. Road warrior had the more iconic imagery so it's considered the best although it could arguably be the first one as far as how tight the direction is.

Probably because a lot of people in the US never saw Mad Max and think Mad Max 2 was the first one.

I remember I was graduating high school when fury road came out, and I heard a bunch of fat neckbeards talking about how muh fury road is good but not a TRUE mad max movie like the first one.

thats who you are right now. faggot. just because its older doesnt mean its better.

Except for that's bullshit and we single handily led to the making of the second

Can't understand a word anyone says in the original one.

it was simple cheap exeriment made by guy who was working at car crash sites. it was good for what it was, but nowhere near road warrior , which set standards for every later post-apoc

It's too personal and not apocolyptic enough. Road Warrior has a very memorable intro, Mad Max is still great but it's the aesthetic of the 2nd movie that everyone get in a knot about.

That's not to say the first one has a bad aesthetic, most people just haven't watched it and when they hear what it's about they just don't bother.

.t Someone who's dad sat him down to watch all of them multiple times growing up in outback Queensland

>Subtitles a minute out of sync

>I remember I was graduating high school when fury road came out

what of it grandpa?

It's too depressing and too close to an actual post-apocalyptic society for people to be able to enjoy it without getting angry or scared at the violence in the world. It subverts the idea of a totally new and fresh, if brutal, future coming out of a collapse, before its sequel really codified that world-building idea. If anything, Road Warrior feels like it takes place two or three generations after Mad Max.

Mad Max 1 is so much more grounded in what a society would be like after things we take for granted stopped working:
>life goes on, there's still enough there for systems to operate, even if not functioning
>your family is likely to get murdered for no reason other than the pleasure of disgusting subhumans (which is worse than if a tribe of cannibals ate them for food - cannibals at least perpetuate some kind of society and do things functionally)
>there isn't any way of winning against the nihilists, even murdering them is a temporary and hollow victory, they're just that empty it's not even a victory with substance like if you defeated a group or society that had a purpose

first one sucked and deserved a do-over so we got the much superior Road Warrior tbqh

Mad Max 1 was out from curculation for a long time in lot of countries. It was not sold anywhere nor shown in TV during late 80's-late 00. Personally I saw it the first time only 4 years ago when a Blu-ray relese hit the stores around here.

I wasn't really that impressed about it. It just is a structually weak movie.

are you American?

I once had an American ask me for directions, I answered and he turned to his wife and said "oh he doesn't speak English". I don't even have a very ochre accent

Because it's a badly made b-movie?

Unlike the others that are well made b-movies

That's why, on the French bluray at least, they give you the choice between the kangooroo english version and the english english version.

Because Mad Max was a tryhard badass movie. The Road Warrior was actually a badass movie. Thunderdome and Mad Max just had weak villains. The steel hockey mask dude in Road Warrior and Vernon Wells were based as fuck.

Mad Max 2 was called The Road Warrior in the US precisely because no one knew it was a sequel.

When Mad Max was released in 1980 in the United States, it did not receive a proper release from its distributor, American International Pictures. AIP was in the final stages of a change of ownership after being bought by Filmways, Inc. a year earlier. AIP's problems affected the release of the film and its box office in the US, although Mad Max proved much more successful when released internationally.[22] Warner Bros. decided to release Mad Max 2 in the United States, but they recognised that the first film was not popular in North America. Although the original Mad Max was becoming popular through cable channel showings, Warner Bros. decided to change the name of its sequel to The Road Warrior. The advertising for the film, including print ads, trailers, and TV commercials, did not refer to the Max character at all, and all shied away from the fact that the film was a sequel. For the majority of viewers, their first inkling of Road Warrior being a sequel to Mad Max was when they saw the black and white, archival footage from the previous film, during the prologue.

it was a boring movie.

it's not the best, but it is still good in it's own way

I personally find the first half of the movie to be kind of boring; it only really picked up when Max's wife and child are killed and he finally got "mad"

still beats thunderdome though, which is ironically the exact opposite problem
first half is great, then it shits the bed massively as soon as the kids and aeroplane are introduced

i remember seeing Mad Max for the first time at like 11pm on cable in 1980 when i was a kid, it was awesome but i had no idea what it was
one thing that i think people who hate Thunderdome don't get is that Max saving the kids fulfills his character arc started in the first film with the death of his wife and child

I'm amazed you can remember something that happened all of two years ago.

For me the biggest problem in the first was Max and wife getting separated like four times exactly in the same way. Still great athmophere and way underused setting of world collapsing.

Agree !! My fav in the series user.

It’s much better your thoughts process, though.

How the fuck do people that stupid get money to travel

Original Mad Max never got a wide release outside of Australia, Road Warrior was the first one for Europe and US audiences. Also people who saw Road Warrior first got a bad taste in their mouth from Mad Max being a more slow paced, 'serious' film (relative to Road Warrior).

tl;dr: Retarded burgers watching them out of order and shitting their pants because ITS NOT LIKE DA FIRST ONE!! (which is in fact the second one)

lmao
but seriously, it's not just americans who can't understand you.
but your actors are very understandable and watching recent interviews of aussie actors i don't detect any aussie accent at all.

wat
i think your post is missing a word or two

Check out These Final Hours, also Australian. Bit different but it's basically about the lead up to the total (quick and complete) apocalypse of earth.

have you seen it? Or do you know what a b-movie is? I dont know how anyone could think that

wouldnt that have already happened in road warrior with that boomerang kid?

I think it holds up much better than Road Warrior or Fury Road after repeat viewing. Some of the car chases in the latter two do go on a bit long, the editing/pacing in the first is perfect.

Every mad max movie except the first one has the same basic plot.

> Max is a loner in the wasteland
> inconvienianced and forced into some kind of ramshackle society that has decent people under threat of bad guys
> Max doesn't give a shit, just wants to leave and go back on his own
> eventually becomes sympathetic and helps them out
> movie ends with bad guys dead, good guys getting what they wanted and max alone in the wasteland

there is literally nothing wrong with this concept

and every sherlock holmes shit has him solving a mystery (before the cumberbatch version at least) It's an episodic formula, yes. But as long as each one is kind of fun and stuff

and?

Best Aussie apocalypse kino incoming

Theres nothing wrong with this. Infact, I would like to see another movie with a different setting like sci fi or fantasy have the same premise and just see what happens, its a very simple and easy to follow plot that can be adapted to almost anything and is engaging. It sets up an enemy, establishes a setting and has a satisfying conclusion.

The first one has always been my favorite to be honest.

Fury Road was the shit on opening day.

>I was graduating high school when fury road came out,
you can stay on this site but get the fuck off this board. Jesus Christ.

All the dialogue was dubbed in the american version.

You disgust me.

but it's the most relentlessly boring of them all

Grow up, child.

Yeah this site is for 30+ burnouts only

It's not enough of a meme. It's just a good story well told, there's no smegma crazies, there's no wacky racecars, most people have fairly normal hair. Forget that it's the catalyst for Max's story and his character arc throughout the rest of the trilogy doesn't make sense without it, most people will tell you they love Mad Max but have never seen the first one.

i m p l i c a t i o n s

woops

Jackass

Truly a film that could only be made by non-americans.

>actual post-apocalyptic society
Why do Americans keep thinking it was "post apocalyptic". It was in the fucking outback!

i prefer it over MM2. toecutter and bubba zanetti were amazing villains and the movie contains some of my first childhood spooks. the atmosphere and imagery are god tier.

>talk to my parents about mad max
>they're adamant that 2 was the first one

at least they were not relentlessly adaman, user

whenever I watch Road Warrior all I can think of is the moody blues with the BREATH DEEP monologue

Fuck just remembered Mad Max had literally the best buddy of all time: Goose. Rip in pieces my man.

wish we made more movies

my uncle works in the film industry in WA and reckons it's going to completely die outside of NSW in the next five years

that actor was Mel Gibson's roommate if I remember correctly, that's why they had such a great chemistry

I'd say it gets better with repeat views

Aussie here. Most people here are supposed to have an accent here but you don't even notice it except for the bogans

You can take your youth and shove right up your fat fuckin ass!

>Most people here are supposed to have an accent here
what the fuck are you even on about

My aussie accent too thick for you burger?

I'm an Australian you daft cunt

>ochre accent
You coming the raw prawn cobber?

I speak Chinese and random Chinese keep not understanding me and saying that they don't speak English and other Chinese who overheard me but didn't see my face keep translating my Chinese into Chinese so that Chinese who can see my face will stop and actually listen to what's being said.

Maybe because it's low budget shit with terrible editing and action scenes that make me want to kill myself. "deep plots" and "realistic characters" are not important in a visual medium

>Most people here are supposed to have an accent here but you don't even notice it except for the bogans
My accent is generally considered unnoticable, even British think I'm British but the instant I talk to a yank, they instantly pick Aussie. Not even a second's doubt.

Whatever else you can say about them, yanks know accents really, really well.

I don't even know where to begin with this post
>I graduated in 2015! I'm not underage!
>people said an opinion... it was wrong! trust me just because I said so!
>you have this same opinion... look how obviously wrong it is!
>it's old and bad! I'm not underage really
wew fucking lad

are you South Australian?

>tfw u own the mad max 2 jacket and a blue shitposter
I just need to communicate with grunts and fuck off to the desert for the mad max experience

>wish we made more movies
I think the whole reason Miller even wanted to make mad max was because there was no australian film industry.
Mad max was privately financed by miller, a dentist. Like half the movie was paid for in beer.
If you're into film making at all the behind the scenes stuff on the first movie is a fucking goldmine, and proof that the only thing stopping anyone from making a movie is their own lack of gumption.

we used to do a bit more after Mad Max, but it's died off again.
Australia actually could have been one of the film capitals of the world were it not for the Great Depression.

but yeah, I've read through all that stuff it's fucking great. all the actors but four or five were paid in slabs of beer. if that's not aussie I don't know what is

Mad Max 1 had the best vehicles by far.

Yeah I think thats pretty cool about the first one though

Theres still remnants of our civilization, things are just way shittier

its not like complete fantasy tier of most post apocalyptic movies

another cool one

Roadgames is the only kangaroo kino movie I've seen besides Max.

>just because its older doesnt mean its better.
And just be cause it's newer doesn't make it better. Think of a real argument underage faggot.

I haven't seen many Australian movies, but I quite liked Picnic on Hanging Rock
mildly spooky movie

The Quiet Earth is a literal cuck movie.

Society was collapsing due to fuel and water shortages you dip.

In the first 5 minutes of mad max 1 and 2 they explain the oil war you idiot

Learn fookin english pommie dropkick cunt

You know, I only found out Western and South Australians had different accents a few years ago
I had literally never met any before and it was fucking bizarre when I did. I thought the South Australians were poms that moved over here and never quite lost their accent and didn't know what to think of the sandgropers

>we
You fucking moron

The thing about mad max is that there was no "apocalypse."
It's just a world where gas got super scarce and civilization was just slowly collapsing.

>i graduated highschool two years ago

Back to Sup Forums you faggot

rude

walkabout

I do think it's the best of the three originals but people prefer Road Warrior, probably because of the imagery

The characters in 1 were a lot better than Papagallo and his gang of nobodies. Gyro captain and Humungus were great but that's about it

I couldn't get into it. It was like STALKER all over again.

>I couldn't get into [GOOD FILM]. It was like [GOOD FILM] all over again.

>STALKER
>Good

ABO BTFO'd

ah. i did not know australia was like usa where different areas had different accents. now that i think of it uk is like that also. i wonder if canada also has different accents depending on region/province. aside from quebec, that is. i'm guessing people born and raised in quebec have a french-sounding accent. i think celine dion has one but it's been so long that i've seen her talk on tv i don't remember anymore.

i notice an australian accent on actors that are hugh jackman's age like nicole kidman but they are very understable. but with two kid actors from australia i didn't notice any accent. i thought that either it was a generation thing (newer generation are more exposed to us tv and films and pick up us accent) or they've been spending so much time in us filming that they lost their accent. but from these post i guess it might be that the kids are from a different part of australia than hugh and nicole.