swbooks.net/updates/release-2017.htm

>Out This Week:
Poe Dameron #10 (January 11th)
Rebels 3.12: "Warhead" (January 14th)

>Episode Preview: Warhead
youtube.com/watch?v=xlUc7iuuiIA

>Rebels Recon: Ghosts of Geonosis
youtube.com/watch?v=NM7pTSxJKyY

>Download links: (Check here for new Rebels Episodes + Books, Comics, Films, etc)
pastebin.com/nWsKtSya

>Canon Guide:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1KovH_1GYLDTAe3yrleeWiuzwulm670o_anQqr5Rcg/pubhtml

>Legends Recommendation List:
docs.google.com/document/d/147N5EgCnZmcPaDYvnGQwl9cn7BhBroFb7mD2C4cmWb0/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rig_Nema
geektyrant.com/news/photos-of-the-practical-effects-used-in-star-wars-prequel-trilogy
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Food_at_Dex's_Diner
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What is she, /swco/?

Is there no new episode tomorrow?

The Pod Race was terrible.

I only just now noticed the lightsaber on her belt.

>Pacifist Lemur Edition
Should have called it
>Worst episodes that nearly made me drop the entire series and definitely made me watch out for that writer in future episodes - Edition

The one in Phantom Menace? The only good part of that movie?

>Out This Week:
Rebels 3.12: "Warhead" (January 14th)

Too stuffy, but you have a good point

Ye're readin' this post in my voice, arentcha?

Only if your voice sounds like Dr. Strangelove

Until her species is named by the writing staff, it'll forever be a mystery

> The character's appearance was actually based on an early concept design for Mace Windu.[7] It was drawn by Iain McCaig during pre-production for Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, before Samuel L. Jackson was cast.[8]

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rig_Nema

But you already know that yourself, since you know her name.

How can he afford such an extensive menu? Is De involved with the underworld?

nope
I'm actually reading it in the voice of some British guy that I just watched a video he was narrating. Bad luck chap.

Hera's mother.

Sheev goes down to his Diner every day since the his first day as Senator.

Dex's Diner is the only Sheev-approved restaurant in the entire galaxy - With the Empirical Stamp of Yummy Yummy!

There is literally nothing wrong with Dex's 1950s space-diner except for everything about it

The idea is fine. Star Wars has always lifted aesthetics from movies of that era
But man, they did it all wrong. Everything seemed plasticky and fake

Obi-Wan going to grungy diner in the smokey bottom levels of Coruscant to get a scoop on an unknown black market weapon was a great idea
It's just that it was done incredibly poorly

>Everything seemed plasticky and fake

Wasn't the whole thing CGI?

She's a Jedi? I always thought she was just some kind of doctor.

Hydroponics bay? I know a lot of amphibians like Gorgs are easy to breed in a nutrient rich slop (Or outright sewage)

>But man, they did it all wrong. Everything seemed plasticky and fake
No, only Dex and the droid were CGI. The Diner was a real set and the external shots were real miniatures for the entire block around it.

He's a madman.
But actually there might be three possible explanations to his huge menu.

1. A lot of the food is dehydrated and takes up little space, like Rey's bread in TFA.

2. Dex has a massive stock inventory (maybe even rents storerooms), but due to the alien nature of the food it has much longer shelf life and he can afford to buy in bulk as a result.

3. A lot of the dishes share ingredients, and while you might be ordering bantha steak you might actually be getting ophie or nerf.

Additionally Dex has four arms, which means he might be able to do the work of 2-4 cooks all on his own, providing a much faster turnout of food and income of cash, which in turn pays for the ingredients to constantly be restocked.

Hello, sexy!

Pretty much everyone with an actual job in the Temple is a Jedi.

She's a Jedi doctor

>the external shots were real miniatures
Is that so?

>least shittiest part

>good

Fucking HELL look at the size of those hands!

What TCW episode was that from?

Yep.

>they didn't even align the shadows
Jesus Christ

What's going on here, is the diner moving? Is it in the middle of traffic?
It looks like it's hovering.

The best part of the Aftermath books is that it confirms that Dex's Diner gets fucked up at some point beyond use.

So I guess they discarded the miniatures for the CGI model, huh?
Because that's not what ended up in the film

/swco/ Dex Diner edition

It might not be 100% CGI, but it still looks like ass.

Was he married to a droid?

Nope. What you are seeing is a miniature with people and other effects overlaid. It's how most of the movies were made.

For a race able to grow beards, besalisks routinely seem to choose only the worst possible styles.

Oh christ, that will haunt my fever dreams.

This is the thing about PT fans.

They say that a shot isn't CGI and assume that gives it a free pass.

It's still people superimposed onto something that was shot at a different scale, at a different time.

It still looks fake because you can tell all of the surrounding details were put in digitally.

How the fuck was that brought up?
Does Obi-Wan's ghost mention it?

>Luuuuuke, go to Dex's Diner in the Coruscant system. He serves the best Manaan sliders...

Some fun stuff in here

geektyrant.com/news/photos-of-the-practical-effects-used-in-star-wars-prequel-trilogy

After Order 66, a necrophiliac's dream girl.

Reminder that this is canon
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Food_at_Dex's_Diner

And why they look like shit.

Real stuff digitally inserted over other real stuff still looks fake as shit.

The human eye can tell something is off. Usually has to do with lighting.

Interlude chapter about children playing soldier against the Empire on Coruscant. They traveled around the area where the diner was.

Luke isn't even in the first two Aftermath books, user.

I see literally nothing real in that shot except for the people
It has fucking PS2 textures.

Maybe they just used the model as a foundation and then fucked it up with a layer of CGI

It's like what they forgot to do to the doorway here

Dexter was a semi-retired information merchant by the time Obi-Wan was 28. Would he still be running the diner or even alive at the time of ANH?

That's not really in the films.

Do you think comics as a medium fits Star Wars well? As in that do you think that the writers are making good enough use of the actual medium of comics, or do you think that it would be better in say, television or something else?

Personally, I'm undecided.

Oh but it is

>Star Wars has always lifted aesthetics from movies of that era

No, the Prequels were deliberately patterned on 1950s contemporary and sci-fi aesthetic as a means of portraying the era as literal nostalgia for people of the OT. It wasn't done "wrong" at all, it was a sci-fi interpretation of 50s diner aesthetic.

>Obi-Wan going to grungy diner in the smokey bottom levels of Coruscant to get a scoop on an unknown black market weapon was a great idea
It's just that it was done incredibly poorly

No, it's honestly fine as is; that's just your own preference speaking. There was nothing to imply Obi-Wan was going to check with a grungy, seedy underworld connection - even then you'd have much more to complain about.

no one these days really makes good use of the medium of comics.

I'm so glad Disney bought the SW license before Lucas could release this.
Nothing has ever been shitcanned so hard before.

I wonder how he reacted to the news of order 66.

poor guy must've been devastated for his ol' buddeee

Comics overall are pretty low-tier important. It's unfortunate they are being placed on equal canon with everything else. So few people read the comics that introducing important things later to be used in movies (Shattered Empire as a whole) seems pointless.

his diner probalbyt got fucked in the siege.

>I see literally nothing real in that shot except for the people
What you are seeing is compositing. Miniatures, people, yes some CGI for things like the smoke and lighting.

You may not like it, but welcome to what effects looked like over twenty years ago.

>"I can't believe Obi-wan and his people were trying to take over the Senate. The war must have taken a lot out of them to do something like that."

>There was nothing to imply Obi-Wan was going to check with a grungy, seedy underworld connection
Well except for the fact that Obi-Wan was investigating a mysterious weapon used in an assassination attempt

>It's like what they forgot to do to the doorway here

Oh it's you again

>looked like over twenty years ago.
Thank Sheev it hasn't quite been that long. Nearly but not yet.

Are you saying this scene isn't in the movie?

Because it is.

The ceiling is CGI, the doorway/foyer is CGI, and the Window is CGI.

I believe this was shot in pick ups though so Anakin and Palpatine may have been put in after with blue screen effects.

Regardless of what makes it looks fake, it's still fake as shit.

That part of the set wasn't there at the time, so they had to use a picture from a previously filmed scene.

Which doesn't always mean the first place you go looking is the grungy seedy underworld. Sometimes all it takes is a good friend with a lifetime of honest work and a bit of wanderlust. It's a throwback to how bartenders and the like know everything about a part of town or a select few people.

And this is what effects were like 30 years ago

The problem is that Lucas had no restraint.
Even the man himself admits it

He relied too hard on a technology that just wasn't there yet and the appearances suffered for it.

There's nothing wrong with using CGI. It's just when you use it so ubiquitously that it becomes a problem.

iirc, the scene was shot later, but it was still on set, not on a screen.

One of the biggest problems with the PT and why so many things look fake is because of the lighting. Lucas wanted everything to be rather bright, this ends up making the floor rather luminous, not to mention other sets with literal floor lighting.

I actually read it in Dengars voice

This is the unfortunate truth

If ANYONE would figure out that it was bullshit, it'd be Dex.
Knowing Obi-Wan that long would also mean he'd not assume the Jedi would do that, I bet.

>It's a throwback to how bartenders and the like know everything
Yeah, exactly.
That's exactly what I'm talking about

It's a throwback to a noire mystery.
But wires got crossed somewhere so instead of a seedy bar, it got turned into a clean family friendly diner.

It's telling that some of the best use of "comics" are online comics that basically let them play it as a movie.

The aspect of a full page composition is something that is largely lost on people these days.

You know who worked on that film? A little company called Industrial Lights and Magic.

You know what that image is? An example of a far different effect than what they used for Dex's Diner. You're so convinced that the CGI was everywhere you can't recognize what is and isn't CGI.

wait, I've got it.

It's like if Deckard when to Arnold's for advice on where he could find Roy Batty.

This tbqh.

OI BOSSK

MY BACKPACK'S GOT JETS

I JUST HAD SEX

Dex was a prospector among a dozen different occupations all across the galaxy. He'd been everywhere, done everything, until one day he saw and learned too much.

That's when he had to turn to the Jedi for help. They set him up in Jedi Witness Protection. Dex isn't even his real name. They just stuck him in a Dex's Diner and said, "You're Dex now." It's actually the equivalent of the Feds sticking someone in a McDonald's and telling them their name is Ronald now and forever.

>Boba Fett
>killing Jedi

It's canon in Legoland!

But why couldn't Dex have opened a family diner? Perhaps that's just what he wanted to do after whatever shady stuff he did before he got old. Pilot buying a farm kind of deal.

Or just some shit like

Some women will fuck anyone.

A shame his son grew up to be such a disappointment.......

I think they're good to enhance the existing Universe, but not necessarily to completely introduce new lore.

The Kanan comic f.e. is great, as it fleshes his character out in a way Rebels couldn't do and actually makes you more invested in the cartoon as a side-effect, without making it necessary to read it to be able to follow the show.

Yeah, exactly!

That's exactly how I feel about Obi-Wan going to Dex's

It just doesn't feel right

I could honestly believe that. I want to believe that.

That said I do want to know how Obi-Wan came to know Dex

>But why couldn't Dex have opened a family diner?
I mean, yeah, if you're thinking that Dex is a real person, sure
But he's not. He's a character in a movie

Thematically, it fits better if Dex's is a smokey divebar.

I mean, AotC already took visual inspiration from Blade Runner.
Why not a little more?

Weren't there enough seedy bars in Star Wars as it is? A diner was a nice change of pace.

Larry likes to party and Dex can set you up with some shit that will fuck you up

It's nothing to do with story or characters, it's all to do with genre themes and expectations. When you start your story with a noire plot line, it's generally expected to continue on that theme.

The success of deviating from it is all to do with the quality of the work.

Yeah. I mean, he and Anakin had been in the Outlander Club just the other day.

Dexter Jettster standalone movie when?
>Of all the diners on Coruscant, she just had to walk into mine. A pretty dame, by human standards, but she had the smell of trouble about her like a bad egg on good easter sunday. She looked hot enough to catch fire, but too lazy to do anything but just lie there and smoke.

As long as they're not blind he's fine.

Yeah, apparently the one of the bartenders at a very family and professional friendly bar in my town used to be Mafia before he got out of the business when he fell in love.

Real heartwarming story but I have no idea if it's true.

Lucas' original script for Episode VII had Luke there instead of Ireland. One of the sexy teen heroes George imagined had a vision where Luke put on Dex's apron and declared, "I'm Dex now." Obi-Wan's ghost stands in the background nodding wisely.

>Ardees, also known as Jawa Juice, was a beverage that originated on Tatooine and was made of bantha hides mashed with fermented grains.

Ugh, god, I always thought Jawa Juice was like a fruity, non-alcoholic beverage. I didn't expect it being an alcoholic meat drink.