Was he a Thing or not? I say yes

Was he a Thing or not? I say yes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lO9x6V3mHeg
youtube.com/watch?v=hqVbOSEsJNo
huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/kurt-russell-the-thing-theory_us_56883db0e4b014efe0daaaff
clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

literally doesn't matter

Sure it does. It determines if the heroes or the villain won in the end. McCreedy was in no condition to stop him if he was a Thing.

childs got lost because he was following the thing off the camp
if childs is still human then the thing is still out there

Well he said he was chasing Blair, but I just realized that everyone is accounted for at the end of the movie besides the other black guy. I can't remember his name at the moment. He wanders off, and we never see him again.

There's no way the Thing could have been outside the camp since it was hiding in the generator room.

what's always interested me is to watch extent Thing people know that they're Things. if it creates a perfect replica of their brain it could just put them on autopilot without any memory of dying

Nice trip trips.

A Thing not THE Thing. It could exist as multiple people, remember? It was the doctor and the stoner at the same time.

The heroes lost the moment the dog got into the base, there's no way every part of the Thing was destroyed in the explosion and if even a single cell survived it will freeze and can in time infect the entire planet, by the time they came up with a plan to destroy it it was already too late

I...don't know how to reply to that. That's a very interesting idea. I guess they could be on auto-pilot until revealed, which triggers a fight or flight response in the alien.

By that logic, everyone would have been infected during the timeskip just by being in proximity to each other and breathing the same air.

My headcanon is that microscopic quantities of the Thing can be beaten by the immune system

That's pretty bleak, but it's not too bad of an interpretation. They also didn't seem to do a body count of the Norwegians. There could've been multiple Things out buried in the snow that got away from them. The only thing that I could call a win for the heroes is the Thing being so far out in the snow that nobody would ever think to go dig there.

Let me ask this: Does anyone here count the video game as a sequel and the recent movie as a prequel?

Childs specifically said he saw Blair outside, even though right after he runs off into the storm, the generator is destroyed by Blair inside the camp. Also, wouldn't it have made more sense for someone like Childs to immediately run to the group and tell them what he saw? Rather than go blindly charging into a storm?

Russell said in an interview that people theorizing about Russell testing Childs with gasoline was how people missed the point that people who are turned into Things don't actually know they are.

I don't count either. The game's plot was so stupid with the secret military shit and Mac surviving somehow. And the way the Thing acts in the prequel is completely different from the original.

It's proven that it's him though cause he drank gasoline that McReady gave him without any reaction.

Yes, that's why his excuse is so suspect.
So are they both Things?
Mac surviving is why I bring up the game. That suggests that HE is a Thing.

But Mac himself was about to take a drink from that bottle before Childs showed up.

Nice, i haven't heard about that.

This is one of the stupidest theories I've heard.
>a thing who knows everything you know and is a perfect replica of you in every way can't tell that your whisky isn't whisky

Hm. Didn't remember that.
One other option though, is that they're both Things but they don't know they are.

>things slowly infects whole planet
>but can't tell whether the others are things
>every thing suspiciously continues about regular human life waiting for the moment to strike
id watch it

Has there been a novel that is the sequel to the Thing? And would you read that?

I think you can find the scene on YouTube. Check it out, cause he's totally about to take a drink himself. I guess you could argue suicide, but I dunno about suicide by gasoline.

>fuck its freezing
>i better tip out this whiskey and fill it with gasoline just in case childs shows up so i can trick him into drinking it to find out if hes the thing

The end is everyone on Earth engaged in one big Gangs of New York style battle, and suddenly news breaks "Turns out we're ALL Things" and everyone goes "Ayyyyyy"

> The president and two aids are having an urgent briefing
> "Mr President these... Things have infiltrated the inner workings of the government... In fact... they've infiltrated this very room!"
> One of the aids morphs and bites the president's head clean off, his shirt and jacket fall away
> The president remains standing, puts his hands on his hips as his nipples morph into eyes and he forms a brow just to furrow it.

This needs to be a webtoon

Yeah...i guess the gasoline theory is bullshit. Anyway it looks like Russell doesn't really give a fuck about anything at this point.

writes itself

No.
The Thing would have changed into a less obviously different jacket if it got ruined during an attack, while a human would be more likely to just grab the first one he could in response to the cold

Some actors like to talk out of their asses on movies just to fuck with the fans. The guy who played the second Dumbledore is good at that. Tarantino is too for that matter.

I'm not following. Can you elaborate a little bit more? What's wrong with his jacket?

Lol.

Someone will post this on reddit, I guarantee it.

But if Childs was infected, then his jacket would have been torn up.

>So are they both Things?

Possibly, or neither. Either way they were both going to die

There was an interesting theory posted here once that touched on a few details i'd never noticed, i can't remember it though

The video game reveals who was the survivor of that scene at the end.

youtube.com/watch?v=lO9x6V3mHeg

Not him but there's an Internet theory that proves that Child's changed jackets before and after the fight, which would premise that he's a thing that had to grab a jacked after he got taken over. Tada.

Or it could just be that they weren't autistic on set and just mistook which jacket to give the actor.

Childs is wearing a different jacket when he comes back at the end. It's theorised he got jumped by Blair and his jacket was ruined in the assimilation.
My personal interpretation is that he did get jumped but escaped, or had to ditch his jacket for some reason, for the reason that the Thing would be more likely to try hiding that anything was so obviously different, while a human would just think
" fuck it's cold, I need a new jacket asap"

It's possible it's just a continuity error though.

t hej henssen

WE WAZ THANGZ N SHIEET

Cool

But that doesn't make any sense with this scene:

youtube.com/watch?v=hqVbOSEsJNo

Look at Palmer at 0:55, he has a "oh well, goes I gotta eat everyone now" face, which doesn't make any if he doesn't know he's gonna get found out.

Nah. That's his "It's my turn i guess, if i'm a Thing so be it". He doesn't know.
Which is why that scene is both funny and scary at the same time.

"Things" don't seem to breathe humid air in the cold, as the thing improves their biology to resist the cold.

Literally EVERYONE was a thing

They say it like at the beginning of the movie

Except they do throughout the whole movie.

Nah. Kurt didn't say that, he said that during filming, the cast would get together and discuss theories about the thing. This was just one he remembered. Also pic related.

Close, but not exactly as implied.

"The Thing" needed to make a conscious effort to assimilate something.

It's why the dog breeder guy wasn't immediately infected. "The Thing" has to choose to do it. Just coming in contact with it isn't enough.

You could argue that this changes at ultra small scales, and maybe you'd be right.

Carpenter said that you can't see Childs' breath because of the lighting, not because he is a thing.

Things have breath. You clearly see thing-benings breathing.

why was the spaceship so big?

he drinks kerosene so yeah

>as the thing improves their biology to resist the cold.

Remember Norris having a heart attack? The Thing doesn't improve shit, it copies the original down to any illness or disability.

Who knows and who cares.

Childs was the last infected, MacReady was barely alive warmed by the heat of the explosions, while Childs was perfectly fine walking in the snow, he showed no fatigue and he wasn't even wear some head covering (try to stay without an head cover at -40° celsius)

The second post you quoted is mine, and I didn't say anything about Things not breathing.

>why was the spaceship so big?

Why not? how is that a problem?

THEY REUSED THE FUCKING KNIFE IN THE BLOOD TEST SCENE

THEY ALL INFECTED THEMSELVES OUT OF RETARDATION

GOD DAMMIT I ALREADY PROVED THIS SHIT ALREADY

You brought up the childs scene which relates the two, and it's easier to clarify them together before a lazy user claims brings up the fuck-up in editing.

>(try to stay without an head cover at -40° celsius)

SPOILERS: the idea that your head is a radiator and that you lose all your heat if you go without a hat in the cold, is a myth

>thing circlejerker retards will ignore this

>They say it like at the beginning of the movie
When?

Nah.
The Thing would've ganged up on Mac in the last part if they were all infected, which didn't happen. And Blair killed them all. Why do that if you have your prey surrounded and clueless? It showed too much clear malevolent intention and craftiness throughout the movie to have ignored that ploy.

This isn't The Thing cinematic universe.
Bad video games aren't canon. There is no canon outside of movies.

Neither. Twist is the thing was destroyed in the havoc off screen and paranoia made both men kill themselves

>drinks the molotov
>no frost on his breath

yup WE WUZ DA THANG

The comics, the prequel, the book (movie novella) and the game all aren't canon really. It's great that the movie is ambiguous enough to have so many loose ends.

I always saw the true villain of the movie as paranoia, so when the movie ends with Mac and Childs sharing a drink I think that trust the heroes won.

Childs is the thing though. 100%. His jacket changes colour from blue to white after he runs off into the storm. It's also a major plot point that the thing destroys clothes and Childs was standing next to the coat rack when we last see him as human. He's also sweating a lot in this scene for some reason so he may have even just been assimilated through contact with infected blood.

When Bennings runs outside in the cold with his hands still assimilating there's a ton of breath.

If everybody but MacReady was a Thing after the test scene, then the climax of the movie wouldn't make any sense.

When Blair goes crazy, he takes a revolver and fires 9 shots without reloading. This is the pivotal moment where anyone paying attention would've known that he was a Thing. At least three of those shots weren't real and were a sound that the Thing imitated in order to try and scare away the rest of the group so it could finish destroying everything. I still chuckle at thinking just how subtle it is and how those with attention problems never even noticed it. It might have been a good twist otherwise to have Blair be a Thing if they didn't telegraph it so easily.

You're so full of shit, user. Where did you paste this from?

It's covered in snow numbnuts. It's not white.

And you've got something to back this theory up with?

>I always saw the true villain of the movie as paranoia

I always liked the idea that the Thing itself was operating out of fear and paranoia too, that it was as afraid of the humans as they were of it, and that's why it never tries to communicate.

huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/kurt-russell-the-thing-theory_us_56883db0e4b014efe0daaaff

>He continued, "I love that, over the years, that movie has gotten its due because people were able to get past the horrificness of the monster -- because it was a horror movie -- but to see what the movie was about, which was paranoia."

You always could see his breath, it's just the fatigue factor isn't there. He's taking calm breaths.

If you guys haven’t already, you need to read the short story told from the Thing’s POV. It’s masterfully written and has an audiobook reading on YouTube which is also great.

clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

I know this is a shitpost but there are revolvers with more than 6 rounds

From the pov of jcs thing or the original story thing?

Doesn't matter, they're both dead anyway. If he's the Thing, MacReady is dead. If he's not, they both freeze to death.

it doesnt take you right away. their transformations are slow

From your mom, you piece of trash.
Are you pretending paranoia wasn't a theme of the movie? Didn't notice the destroyed clothes or McCready talk8ng about them?

I think the thing uses fear and paranoia but isn't really affected by it. When it's Blair it tries to get Macready to doubt Clark. When it's in Palmer it shreds Macready's clothes. It destroys the ability to warn the outside world as Blair.

As far as I'm concerned the thing might not be evil, it just has not care for other lifeforms. It is also insanely intelligent considering it was building a fucking spaceship from a bunch of helicopter parts.

Watch the movie. He fires more than 6 rounds and his gun is only a six shooter.

Is the video game any good?

Literally not written.I like to think that they're both human though.

>it doesnt take you right away. their transformations are slow
Then explain the windows scene

It's alright, worth a play imho.

It was OK, not great but if you are a dan is worth a try.

Personally, the game lost some luster after I realized that there would be scripted "Thing-outs", which more or less rendered the testing mechanic pointless. I mean, you could test a guy and confirm him as a human, and then seconds later the game would need a Thing and that same guy would sprout out tentacles and try to murder you.

palmer was already a thing for a long time, when the thing reveals itself its transformations are fast but the actual transformation of a person becoming a thing is implied to be much slower. this would be especially true if it was just a little bit of blood that got on you, as in the testing scene.

'The Thing' has a name you garbage human being

He fires 8 rounds, 1 off screen as macs outside, and 2 as mac initially arrives. Then he's monologuing in which time he's not smashing anything because we don't hear any smashing. You can assume he's reloading because for most of those 20 or so seconds the axe is evidently not in his hand because the gun was, and the scene resumes on him in mid swing. So in the frame of 2-3 seconds he picked up the axe and swung, leaving 17 seconds estimated, for him to reload another 5 bullets.

You saw windows wipe the nauls' blood off the blade, and when he cuts into nauls the blade isn't initially bloody.

John Carpenter said the video game is canon

He said you weren't though.

MacReady was the thing. He couldn't attack Childs because he had the flamethrower, so he put his cells in the alcohol. That's why he laughs as the ominous music plays.