I honestly don't understand, Sup Forums. What's the appeal? Why his name only will sells so fucking much...

I honestly don't understand, Sup Forums. What's the appeal? Why his name only will sells so fucking much? Why is he so popular? Even more that Superman, the ideal image of the Superhero archetype. Explain to me how Batman rose into popularity and also why.

He is the only superhero that canocally has a shitload of merch-able themed stuff and vehicles for every last damn occasion.

Little kids love the fuck out of Bat cars, planes, boats, subs, ships, mechs, guns, mutants, dinosaurs, dragons, and armors. When they grow up that nostalgia is peppered into the whole grim gritty edgelord shit that teens love the fuck out of.

Vs fags get to say "prep time" and he always wins. Fuck off with who he was fighting, batman wins.

People like to be told that the raw potential of ordinary humans is actually a better superpower than actual superpowers are, that man can overcome anything, machine, nature, god, we're the best.

It makes them feel good.

Batman is the ultimate "Yay humans" story.

He's also "tall, dark, and handsome", the brooding loner with the black sports car and more money than God, all the things that people find "sexy".

Because they keep putting good writers on him, he had the best cartoon, and equally good movies.

Snowball effect. Lots of effort means lots of popularity which means more effort spent on him over other heroes.

If you dont care for Batman, read either Daredevil or Moon Knight

>rich
>good looking
>tall
>white
>brooding
>skilled
>smart
>charismatic
>strong willed
>dominant
>has a cool theme
>is a normal human
>good backstory
>is a good guy
>great supporting cast
>very very old
>has some amazing stories
I wonder.

>dominant
This is factually incorrect.

These make for great argument if mixed together. People and thus writers and editors. Lots of nostalgia around Batman buying merchandise. They'll often misinterpret that as "muh best superhero ever". No love for others characters will be shown as mush as it is for The Bat that has a gorillion of merchandasible gadgets.

Ehh, he has money. He works because he can buy a new solution every time.

That and a lot of people probably saw a Batman film as their first superhero movie as a kid.

Nostalgia+merchandise

We'll get to the bottom of this Batman thing together Sup Forums and finaly put a stop to it.

Ignore the morons above. Batman is popular because he represents a popular fantasy: that if you really tried you could be the world's greatest badass. You can project yourself into him because he's ostensibly just a human and can live that fantasy.

He's also got a dynamite Rogue's Gallery, so it's not just Batman's popularity it's Batman and the Joker, Batman and Catwoman, Batman and Mr. Freeze, etc. People like him as much for his enemies and their interactions with him as they do for Batman himself.

Batman can work in every genre and setting imaginable and you can twist him in any way you want without making people hate him.

Superman can't. Wonder Woman can't.

Maybe Aquaman can. Either way Batman and Aquaman are awesome and versatile characters.

Gotham is a dopeass setting as well. Burton really created some unique with his movies.

I know Sup Forums is mostly children but Jesus Christ Batman and Gotham existed before 1989.

Who's your favourite superhero user?

Visually.

When you're a kid, being an adult appeals to you. You want to be big, you want to be strong, and you want to always do the right thing. That's why characters like Superman and John Cena appeal so much to kids. Kids see them as aspirational figures. When comic books were primarily the stuff of children, Superman and Captain Marvel ruled the roost.

Teenagers and immature adults are attracted to money, material possessions, being cool/badass, and how many women you can bag. And since the average comic book audience has aged up over the decades and the 18-35 age range is the coveted sweet spot for a successful summer blockbuster, Batman captures the current cultural zeitgeist.

So he's a Mary Sue? He's so fucking boring

All "Perfect characters" are shit tier baby pleb shit and it's an insult to the medium in every way

>Mary Sue
>When every comic you see him loose bits of his mind
Fuck off, contrarian.

Everybody can, but Superfags are too autistic to see their hero in a different setting. Superman doesn't even get good writers who can take risks.

Oh wow two panels of him going "MUH PARENTS" woah so deep xd

Fuck off kid

I agree with the posts about merch, the real reason is that Batman has a shitton of cool toys and good cartoons and movies.

These theories about a lack of superpowers being the attractive quality don't fly. If that were the case an even more diwn-to-earth hero like The Spirit would have become the huge icon.

>he thinks that training literal preteens as child vigilantes is not mental

DC heroes train literal preteens as child vigilantes all the time. Where the hell do you think most of the Teen Tians come from?

The only good Batman stories are psychological horror stories, and there's your answer: that's what the appeal is.
The villains, the origins, the best storylines, they all revolve around fucked up craziness.
That's something you don't see enough in comics. But Batman provides it in abundance.
Therefore that has to be the key element of the appeal.

Yeah child vigilantism is normalized.

>best villains
>best movie(s)
>best tv show(s)
>best costume
>best origin story
>best sidekicks
>rich
>all the ladies love him

Don't hate the playa.

>Has major and discernable flaws yet still relatable on fundamental human level
>Has the most iconic rogues gallery in superhero history
>Great setting
>Has lots of really cool gadgets
>Dark but not too dark so he can be marketed towards kids with shitloads of merch
>Is just a normal human being in a world of super criminals, metahumans, aliens, magicial entities and cosmic forces and still finds away to hang in the fight

Thats why Batman is the most popular hero in the world.

Out of the Teen Titans, Robin is the only one without superpowers and only has to rely on his skills to survive, whilst literally everyone else came from another planet, have superhuman strength or some other form of superpower/alientech that makes them metahumans.
Plus the Teen Titans are 15 to 18 at best while Bruce literally trained Dick at 10 to become Robin.

Damian just turned 13 and reformed the Teen Titans with Kid Flash, Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy, all of whom are *very* close to the drinking and voting age of most countries if not past it. I am hoping they address the age disparity in the next arc.

Still doesn't change the fact that most DC heroes have a young preteen sidekick palling around and helping them fight dangerous criminals who want to kill them. Especially since most of them died at least once over their tenure.

>Has major and discernable flaws

No, he really doesn't besides "I spend too much time as a vigilante and ignore my social needs". That's not a flaw, that's the equivalent of telling your employer, "My one flaw is that I work too hard."

Because he is his own archtype

He's versatile as fuck. He can fit in almost any sort of story and it just works

Gritty classic noir styled detective?
Well versed world traveler and adventurer?
Super ninja scientist in space and time?
Grant Morrison's run is proof of that

>winning means you're a Mary Sue

Just because you're pathetic doesn't mean the protagonist has to be. "Anyone who isn't a complete failure is a Mary Sue!" Whatever kid.

Batman has cripplingly poor social skills.

Batman's ascension to the top of pop culture was a gradual one that resulted not just from all the elements he has that other pulp "perfect human" characters don't, but from a convergence of fates: While many heroes had their own TV shows in the 40s thru 70s, Adam West Batman was the most memorable due to the performances and parodical tone. This led to more name recognition and snowballed from there, especially as the radical shift from those Adam West comedy stories to darker fare like DKR and the Tim Burton movie drew a lot of attention.

Batman might have literally invented edgy reboots. Think about that. Was he the first in modern entertainment? Is there something I'm forgetting? His at the very least certainly came decades before it became played out and uncool.

Nu-Wally is actually like 14, Raven keeps getting de-aged, and Beast Boy's entire character frequently revolves around refusal to act his age.

Starfire's an actual adult I will grant you but she's there to be the team mom. Every DC teen team ends up with a chaperone character. It used to be Cyborg a lot but he's a Leaguer now cuz muh diversity.

Once upon a time, heroes were competent (Batman, Dc Savage, Sherlock Holmes), and everyone loved it Then it got kinda dull (after 60+ years), so fallible heroes became the thing (Spidey, FF, Iron Man). Now, any hero who doesn't immediately accidentally kill his father-figure, his girlfriend, blow up an elementary school, and shit his pants on live TV, is considered a "Mary Sue" (which is a term that has lost all meaning because idiots have misapplied it).

" Under all that style and civilization there's a zoo full of Dick Tracy's nightmares yammering to get out."

~Abby Arcane, Swamp Thing #51

Cyborg is so fucking boring it hurts.

Don't forget emotionally retarded

They're also boring.

Batman doesn't have superpowers which means he's more vulnerable that anyone else
Has a varied and interesting rogue gallery
Gotham is a grimdark, depressive shithole that is great for street level crime stuff that Batman excels at
Lots of cool gadgets that kids enjoy

>It's a Batman hate thread

Yes! I love these.
Cry more.
Your tears make my dick hard.

He wears a dark uniform

He likes to be edgy and gritty

He has a code that he wont break because that makes him human

He's the only human in his superpowered team and people like to see "the weakest guy" curbstomp the strongest guy

Basically he is normie bait

Because he's the Godamned Batman, that's why. The Hero you deserve.

So because memes?

His symbol and costume are easier to draw than Superman (weird ass S) and Spider-Man (janky ass webs all over). Kids are drawn towards the costume.

How many times this question was asked? And better question, do some of you hate just because he's popular?

Mary Sue lost everything because people forgot the oh so perfect/strong/smart/whatever is a VERY secondary criteria. The main definition is about fanfiction OCs that warp the original setting until it's entirely centered on them. How could Batman do that? It's his story to begin with.

Exactly, he was memes before you even knew what memes were.

He is a better character than Superman and Spider-Man.

And you can't prove me wrong.

He's the "cool" mature hero next to colorful boy scout Superman to normies. Also having no powers but standing to super beings.