Christopher Priest starting new superhero universe for Lion Forge

cbr.com/interview-priest-illidge-forge-a-new-superhero-universe-with-catalyst-prime/

>A new shared universe will enter the comic book industry this spring, shaped by creators with plenty of experience in that territory. This Free Comic Book Day, Lion Forge Comics is set to launch a new superhero shared universe dubbed “Catalyst Prime” with the “Catalyst Prime: The Event” one-shot, co-written by Christopher Priest (currently of DC Comics’ “Deathstroke” and acclaimed for his work on “Black Panther,” “Quantum and Woody” and more) and Joseph Illidge (Senior Editor of Catalyst Prime, a former editor at DC Comics and Milestone, and well-known to CBR readers as the writer of “The Mission” column), with art by Marco Turini and Jessica Kholinne

>This one-shot will set the stage for a new line of seven superhero books at Lion Forge, all linked to the event that unfolds on the FCBD one-shot and launching approximately once a month for the rest of 2017. Though the details of the titles haven’t yet been revealed, the creators working on them have, including Brandon Thomas, Ken Lashley, Amy Chu, Alex de Campi, David F. Walker, Joe Casey, Damion Scott, Jefte Palo, Pop Mahan and Jan Duursema.

>>Catalyst Prime is a superhero universe, but it’s pretty rooted in science. That even goes to the initial premise, which is the suicide mission of the five astronauts that are trying to prevent the end of the world by destroying an asteroid.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Universe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newuniversal
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Event
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't know if you've been keeping up with this OP, but this is definitely more Joseph Illidge's universe than it is Christopher Priest.

They did a weird thing with this by releasing the creative team but not the content of the books. They promised an amazing hook: for me personally that initial issue pitch is not an amazing hook, but I'll pick it up with Priest writing it and decide from that.

I am not exactly excited either considering Illidge is the who who writes a really obnoxious column on CBR complaining about diversity

But, you know, I thought someone else might be interested in know about this

I'll read anything Priest writes, Casey is alright, and I've literally never heard of the others. Are they any good?

Alex de Campi is pretty well known. Brandon Thomas writes Horizon. Amy Chu wrote the Poison Ivy mini for DC. David Walker wrote Nighthawk, writes Power Man + Iron Fist and Occupy Avengers. I'm gonna have to see the actual books before I go for any of them. The art is looking pretty good all around.

He went kinda off on one about Gerard Way's position in Young Animal and how it was eroding editorial.

I don't know. They're talking really big about this and I can see a line from Valiant and Image to this, as an imprint, but the lack of details make it difficult for me to get hype. And it's-not-Armageddon-honest isn't a killer pitch.

Bump

>A new shared universe will enter the comic book industry this spring,
>And it will be dead by fall

Quick Sup Forums! Think of a way to stop this from dying a horrible death within a year

Buy... the books?

Kek good one, user.

How did Valiant do their relaunch?

No idea but however they did it Lion Force should do the opposite

Valiant's relaunch was mostly good though

Content wise but they sell fuck all

I'm bringing it up because they seemed to be it pretty successful with it, and I dunno how successful an intro 1-shot followed by 7 monthly 1st issues is gonna be. Are the series going from there, so like the first series has its 2nd issue as the second series launches? It's not clear. The "approximately once a month" makes me worry too. It's going to be really easy to drop on these books.

Well yeah, Valiant only has something like 5% market share

I sounds like they haven't really done their market research. But honestly anybody who researches the comic market would know not to bother trying

>title literally recycled from when Lion Forge was literally who

They have definitely done their research. I think they just think they can beat it, and I wonder how they planned it out.

>implying they aren't still a literally who publisher
This is the first I've ever heard of them

>Alex de Campi
NOOOOOPE

>let's bring a well-known creator for our new lineup! t. lesser-known comics publisher

>Catalyst Prime is a superhero universe, but it’s pretty rooted in science
So you might even call it: "the world outside your window"?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Universe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newuniversal
>Catalyst Prime: The Event
Can we call this The Black Event? Imma call it The Black Event.

I mean, you *could* just stick with The Event, but:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Event

>suicide mission of the five astronauts that are trying to prevent the end of the world by destroying an asteroid
So the Diversity Hire Fantastic F̶o̶u̶r̶ Five rehash the plot to Armageddon?

Are we sure Bendis didn't write this?

>Marvel done right
Nice.

Is literally The Armageddon F5

Meh, they said the same about Valiant. Twice

If they really want to change things they should have considered a different method than one comic every Wednesday

Even a small shift lIke just 1 small graphic novel every week with behind the scenes stuff or science "we did our home work" parts

Valiant did well but if this Science F5 want to rise above its going to need some big differences

That's true Valiant is pretty awesome and I've enjoyed most of it. Infact I steered clear of Shadowman and though I'm a little behind I've enjoyed everything I've read.

So I mean I'm going to give this company and shot but they are aiming in big water.
But the sci fi roots could set it apart.

So it's probably safe to assume that DC's next Milestone push is still a good long ways away, I guess.

so a universe of page titles?

Smells like Crossgen to be perfectly honest.

>Liefeld slams Valiant on twitter, saying they'll never last
>people said the same thing about Image 20 years ago
>The Deathmate crossover with Image almost bankrupted Valiant because of how late Image was with their books, especially Liefeld
The hypocrisy is about as dense as the beefcake Liefeld draws

Well, with an "urbanite" "person" at the helm I expect a light of slander, a lot of libel, and social "justice" agitprop heading further and further into treason as the "liberals" eat his drug addled trash up.

Priest is only writing the one shot.

Those are some really, really generic costumes.

I am sure lion Forge is a force to be reckon in the comic industry

Why is Liefeld known as a nice person? I've only seen him shit talking and being an ass to other creators on twitter.

Well, he is nice to fans at least.

I still can't get over the combo of "We are SO DIVERSE! That's a good reason to buy our stuff!" and *three* Joe Casey books.

So its the Fantastic Five meets Armageddon?

It might be an opportunity for them to subvert some tropes about minorities. Notice that there's two black guys instead of just a tolken. I look forward to their interactions.

>*three* Joe Casey books.

You say that like it's a bad thing

It's almost as if Illidge is full of shit.