I've heard people say that Snyder's Batman was derivative of Morrison's run. In what ways is that true? Also...

I've heard people say that Snyder's Batman was derivative of Morrison's run. In what ways is that true? Also, general Morrison vs Snyder Batman thread.

Okay everybody!
Let's all get ready to play... NAME THAT ARC!

For the first round:
Batman vs a secret society that has operated in Gotham without Batman's knowledge for centuries, headed up by a man who claims to be named Thomas Wayne. They challenge everything Bruce knows about Gotham and his family history.

wasn't that court of owls?

Court of owls was more remanent of city of crime rather than Batman RIP, right upto the theme about Gotham.

CORRECT!
We would also have accepted the answer "Batman RIP"
Why?
Because it's the same damn synopsis.

NEXT ROUND!

The Joker is back!!
Fresh off a horrifically disfiguring injury, the Joker has returned with an all new, more menacing personality. Batman broke the rules of the game (and their 'friendship') so the Joker's changed the game and kidnapped Bruce's loved one(s). Can Batman survive?

Death of the Family
And Batman and Robin Must Die

Don't forget, after maybe dying in a life-threatening fall the Joker seemingly vanishes! But he has secretly disguised himself as an ally to the Bat family, only to reveal himself to Batman later in the story.

Endgame and Batman and Robin Must Die!

Bump

Don't forget someone else having to take up the mantle while Bruce is out of commission. Or the future what-if issue.

Batman, while thought dead by the world-at-large, must recover from his amnesia to discover his true identity while another character close to him takes the reigns.

The only difference is that Morrison's run was good, didn't ignore the bat-family, didn't characterize Bruce Wayne as an enormous asshole, and did things that were actually new and interesting for the character.

Oooh, only partial points. This was a trick question.

Joker is disfigured but doesn't kidnap anybody in RIP (Jet is kidnapped by Hurt), and kidnaps Robin but isn't disfigured in B&R Must Die. Only in Death of the Family does a horrifically disfigured Joker come back and attack Bruce's loved ones.

Snyders run was good.

Really good

You know what's funny? I remember people hating Morrison's run because they thought it was too weird and were excited for Snyder to take over because they thought he offered a more crisp back to basics take for Batman. Shows how time can vindicate one run over another.

To be fair, all we had to go off was American Vampire and his work on Detective Comics with Dickbats and those are both amazing books.

How were we to know he'd spend half his run hitting the same basic story beats that Morrison did?

Black Mirror is one of my all-time favourite Batman books. It's too bad Snyder's run was so disappointing.

I thought Court of the Owls was amazing until the second half where all the momentum was lost so Bruce could fight his maybe brother maybe not lol we'll never know! It was a bad soap-opera tier twist.
Death of the Family was okay but I really don't like Snyder's Joker. I can overlook that because its a personal taste thing, but the story still ends up amounting to pretty much nothing, which would be fine if Snyder himself wasn't treating the story as though it was some huge "things will never be the same" arc.
Zero Year was actually really really good aside from a few dumb moments (Bruce pulling a gun on Gordan, Bruce continuing to be an enormous asshole to everyone around him) and it sort of redeemed Snyder's Batman in my eyes. I didn't real like the Red Hood/Joker stuff, but the Riddler stuff was some of the best Riddler stuff I've ever read.
Then Endgame was so insufferably stupid and self-important that I dropped the series. Don't know if Gordonbats is good or if Bruce returning is good but I sincerely regret spending money to read Endgame and I will not get burned again.

Court of Owls would have made so much more sense as a Dick Grayson arc.

Dick is challenged by a secret society saying they own Gotham and always had. Bruce isn't there to bail him out so Dick is questioning himself. Then they could have dropped the Thomas Wayne thing. You don't need Bruce's maybe-brother when Batman just found out his family belonged to the Court of Owls. Plus, because it's Dick and not Bruce you lose more of the Batman RIP comparisons. There were so many lost opportunities. with that reboot.

>Didn't ignore the Bat family
That's such a retarded ass reason to hate on Snyder's run when some of the best Batruns ignore the Bat family as well. If anything, the Batfamily needs to be trimmed down.

I didnt like the art

The problem with Snyder's Batman is that he seems more concerned with creating really crazy and "epic" moments and images than cohesive stories that make sense. This results in a lot of moments that sound really cool and game-changing on paper, but Snyder always wants to have his cake and eat it too, so the story always back-peddles on the moments to make them essentially meaningless.
>Batman is punching Nightwing in the face!!!
To knock out his tooth, so we could have a nonsensical dramatic scene rather than a sensible discussion.
>Batman has to battle his long-lost brother, Owlman!!
Except maybe not, it could just be a crazy guy lol!
>The Joker knows Batman's identity!
Except he really doesn't.
>Oh shit, the Joker poisoned Gordon! He's a goner for sure!
Except he's fine.
>The Joker cut off the Bat-family's faces!!!
Except he didn't.
>The Joker poisoned all the Bat-family and forced them to kill each other!!!
Except they're all completely fine. They just overpowered the poison using...the power of friendship?
>Young Bruce pulls a gun on Gordon!!!!
For literally no reason, this scene was retarded.
>The Joker is actually an immortal boogeyman!
Except he isn't.
>Batman defeats the entire Justice League!
This was just dumb.
>Batman and the Joker both die in an epic final battle!!!
Except they don't.

It's not just that he ignores them. He seems to actively dislike them. Bruce is an insufferable cunt to them throughout the entire story. He seems to have no faith it them at all, repeatedly keeping them in the dark, telling them that he knows best and that they should just trust him despite the fact that he is demonstrably wrong or at least misguided in many cases.

That only sums up 1(one) arc.

At least 2. Court of the Owls and Death of the Family.