Panel Shows

Goooooooooooooooooooooooood evening, good evening, good evening, good evening, good evening, good evening, good evening and WELCOME to a UK panel show thread.
You lads excited for the next series of QI starting this Friday?
What are your favourite panel shows or panel show moments?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_QI_episodes#Series_O
youtu.be/5h1wnTMIIPA
youtu.be/1vE8ExuuNZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=d0YjBksSw8Q
qi.com/podcast
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5TxTg6yVJJzV1NfN1NVcTFTT0E?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=lwNQf08Kxsw
youtube.com/watch?v=J9Y25Q5q5QE
youtube.com/watch?v=IXDOk0vq4aI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

is it dolphin in a barf tub?

OH MY GOD THE DAILY MAIL

is it dolphin in a barf tub?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_QI_episodes#Series_O
The line-up of panelists doesn't look that stellar this year, way too many D-list comedians and a lot less regulars like David Mitchell

QI's alright, I'm still waiting for WILTY to return

Why are UK shows so queer?

>What are your favourite panel shows
I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and Does The Team Think? (the original). I would have said Just A Minute a few years ago but it's gone full 'LE FUCK DRUMPF' lately and the mandatory diverse guest is usually Sue Perkins who makes me want to kill myself whenever I hear her.

Hormones in the water

>I would have said Just A Minute a few years ago but it's gone full 'LE FUCK DRUMPF' lately
Happens with everything sadly. At first I thought only the topical shows like HIGNFY, Cats, Mock the Week would suffer from the constant Trump stuff, but now it's even leaked into panel shows that have nothing to do with news or politics. I just want one good episode of anything panel show related that doesn't constantly refer to Brexit, Trump, Angela Merkel or Corbyn.

Top Tier
>Jimmy Carr
>David Mitchell
>Sean Lock
>Jeremy Clarkson

Good Tier
>Phil Jupitus
>Sandi Toksvig
>Johnny Vegas
>Bill Bailey

Ok Tier
>Alan Davies
>Rich Hall
>Jo Brand
>Dara O'Briain
>Victoria Cohen

Dogshit Tier
>Rory McGrath
>Puppet lady

Came here to post this

Why put Clarkson in spoilers? He was fantastic in every episode he was in, I'm fairly certain it's not an unpopular opinion.

Pretty accurate list
Sue Perkins goes in Dogshit
I'd put Jo Brand in 'Muh husband' tier because that's how the vast majority of her jokes start

Lee Mack - Good Tier

Best UK panel show in existence is Shooting Stars by Vic and Bob. Prove me wrong.

Its strange watching panel shows and realsing how one note and shallow they are.

I think its comforting to people because they know what jokes are going to come and nothing will challenge their pre-conceived notions.

If its a political show, mention nigel farage and the daily mail and you know the jokes about xenophobia are coming. If its Jimmy Carr, you can trust him to take any statement and make it lewd.

Its bottom of the barrel stuff.

8 out of 10 cats is pretty good I think

>Prove me wrong.
Literally impossible. Vic probably has proof in his pocket though.

He's not even that fat, hairy and disgusting-looking as she constantly makes him out to be. I wonder how he feels about his wife making a career out of slagging him off for laughs.

It's also kind of in bad taste really, cause it's double standards. She gets away with it, but if a male comedian went around only doing jokes about his fat and useless wife he'd be burned at the stake by the PC brigade.

UKIP? BLOODY UKIP?

Goddamn it I hate him so much
Him and that Jack Whitehall faggot can go fuck themselves
Metrosexual poofters

>If its a political show, mention nigel farage and the daily mail and you know the jokes about xenophobia are coming. If its Jimmy Carr, you can trust him to take any statement and make it lewd.
True, but you're watching the wrong programmes. You never know what you're going to get with QI for example, because the theme is different each week and the questions are so bizarre that there's not really any need to do the usual topical joke routine. Would I Lie to You is the same, it's just people claiming bizarre anecdotes and players trying to find out the truth, no room for tiresome political satire and rehashed jokes.

Do people in the UK actually watch non-American TV shows and news?

I've tried, I really have but every single time I do it's the same bloody thing
>Trump
>Trump this, Trump that
>Today, Trump said this. Today, Trump said that.
>Trump tweeted such and such
It's so fucking boring. They need to learn a new tune already cause that shit's stale as fuck.

Russel Howard is much worse than Jack Whitehall. At least Whitehall knows he's a cunt.

Yes. For comedy anyways. UK crime stuff tends to be better too. America produces good shit as long as it isn't comedy. Nowadays its bad sitcoms a la two broke girls or stuff that requires a more intimate knowledge on America to get.

You know what I love is a British documentary series called Timeline.

It doesn't necessarily kiss the historical British Empire's ass. More or less it's truthful and admits Rommel in WWII was superior to British generals and laziness/complacency is why their colonies failed.

>mandatory minimum of two female 'comedians'

No thanks lad. Stopped watching shit like that a long time ago.

I disagree.

QI became quite partisan as it went along. You notice that it seemed to be trying to make a point and Fry became more hard nosed and condescending when it came to the subjects. Would I Lie To You is an exception perhaps.

OH
MY GOD
THE DAILY MAIL

Goooooooooooooooooooooooood evening, good evening, good evening, good evening, good evening, good evening, good evening and you are now imagining my sweaty cock pounding boy mouth hole xD

*ruins your panel show*

QI is really good.

But Would I Lie to You with Henning Wehn on the panel is the apex of British Panel shows.

I personally don't care much for American TV shows other than one or two worldwide successes like GoT (partly British though) and Breaking Bad. I tend to avoid the news anyway, but if I did watch it I would definitely not rely on US news stations. Americans also are terrible, terrible at comedy.

>UK crime stuff tends to be better too.
I agree, the UK definitely produces a lot of high quality crime drama and detective shows and I'm a massive fan of the genre.

Alan Davies should be higher.

crime and any other reality pulp. i don't need to explain the difference between UK and US kitchen nightmares

Jack Dee should be top tier, I think

Tell me that this isn't amazing.
youtu.be/5h1wnTMIIPA
youtu.be/1vE8ExuuNZQ

There are some genuinely good female comedians
>Patricia Routledge was a master of physical comedy
>Victoria Wood was very entertaining
>Joan Rivers was very popular with the older folks
But these birds on QI? Not even close

I wouldn't say it became partisan. The whole premise of QI is that it's about (often trivial and humorous) empirical truths. So if they're talking about ghosts or fortune telling or astrology, they're perfectly in their right to denounce them as wrong or fraudulent.

Well what's to watch besides comedy and crime that is US produced ?

I love these compilations, stumbled upon them a few weeks ago. WILTY never gets old and some of the guests like Bob Mortimer, Greg Davies and Henning Wehn are hysterical. David Mitchell and Lee Mack are also fantastic on it.

Most panel shows are pretty basic with the comedians making predictable jokes over and over. The only ones I end up watching are WILTY and (if it counts as a panel show) Taskmaster. Cats does Countdown is alright too, although it can be quite predictable and the dictionary corner guests are usually pretty weak.

It wasnt that. In the beginning, their was an open discussion but then it turned to middle class people turning their nose up.

Because of this partisan nature, they also made mistakes. The most severe being Mithras, where they made false parralels with Christianity.

Haha, the UK and their classes. Better watch it fags, the Muslim class is going to sweep you into the English channel.

American here, been watching UK panel shows because they are funny, but who is this faggot and why does he stink up every panel show with his god awful ''humor''?

Can you name some examples? I've recently rewatched all the series and I never felt a change from "open discussion" to "middle class people turning their nose up".

As for making mistakes, that's bound to happen. They regularly point it out as well and give or take away points in retrospect. They also did that episode where they showed that because of the progress of science, about 80% of the facts from series A had been proven wrong. They gave Alan a couple hundred points I think.

Top three are best panellists.

Now think of three worst:

>Andy Parsons
>Sue Perkins
>Russell Howard

It was a general attitude.

Fry was lovable and quite willing to listen to others in early seasons. In the later seasons, he became more cyncial and matter of fact. the guest also became like that; liberal snobbery.

This was just a general impression. It just came to the point where it wasnt comfy to watch anymore. It was like a successful comedian who gets more claps than laughs.

Rich boy whose father has huge connections in the world of telly and film. Jack Whitehall has no business being a regular comedian on television but his daddy pulled some strings.
His father is a big tv producer and used to represent people like Judi Dench and Colin Firth. The man can click his fingers and give his son a tv career

>You're telling me that you let your friends convince your parents that you were dead? Why?

>It's German sense of humour.

The Lee Mack/David Mitchell rivalry makes WILTY the god-tier panel show.

Gina Yashere is GOAT on MTW

On the contrary, I remember Fry getting rather angry earlier on when people didn't agree with him. He got legit angry when Alan didn't take the Ancient Greeks seriously. That only happened about three times though, and he mellowed out over the years if anything.
It's weird how we both watch the same show and perceive it very differently.

I'll agree that in the last two series, some of the female guests have been trying to push their personal opinions about, say, feminism, which felt a bit forced and unnecessary. But things like Toksvig stating that the bayeux tapestry was made by women who never got the credit because the man who commissioned it put his name on it is fair game to me.

It has been a while.

I just lost interest in televsion in general (my cable has been unplugged for a couple of years). I think i just had a problem with television in general where it wasnt challenging or engaging anymore. I was tired of looking for shows which agreed with me or vice versa. Maybe that has coloured my memories of shows.

>anything related to MTW being GOAT
>>>

I guess that can happen, sorry to hear it. Television in general has gone downhill in recent years, but there's still good stuff out there that you're missing out on. Give it another go.
Incidentally I haven't had my cable plugged in for years either, I just watch everything on youtube or iplayer or some other thing.

New series of HIGNFY any good? I heard it's back on and I want to know if it's back on form or whether it's all Trump for thirty minutes

youtube.com/watch?v=d0YjBksSw8Q

What the hell happened here?

>Alan Davies on the same tier as Jo Fucking Brand
Fuck you. Alan Davies is the glue that holds QI together.

What the fuck is the context here? Who are those guys on the couch? It doesn't look staged or anything.

>Alan Davies is the glue that holds QI together.
Exactly. Toksvig does an amazing job but I think if Alan left with Fry and got replaced QI would be dead

It's a show called Flipside where appearantly they bring in a couch of guests who flip through the TV-channels choosing something to watch and then they joke about what they're watching. (acording to Wikipedia)

ERANUU

They odd trio is appearantly actors playing characters and the fourth guy is a journalist. I watched a few minutes of the rest of the program and they were just obnoxious to be honest.

Yeah I had a look through and did some googling. Apparently some comedy group being in-character. Still, that was way out of line and they came across as a bunch of complete cunts, but Sean handled it pretty well.

>Best UK panel show in existence is Shooting Stars by Vic and Bob. Prove me wrong.
But I can't, it really is the pinnacle of panel shows. It really should come back, it'd be nice to see them at it again, and I can't see Shooting Stars being infected by the current political climate bullshit every other panel show is festered in.
Are Vic and Bob the best living comedy double act who still work together?

If you like the "facts" side of QI, try the podcasts:
qi.com/podcast

The first 52 episodes:
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5TxTg6yVJJzV1NfN1NVcTFTT0E?usp=sharing

The best thing about that pic is that I can't make out if it's something some user came up with or if it's a genuine Russell Howard quote. I could seriously see him ending an episode of that Good News shite with that quote

I've listened to No Such Thing As A Fish on-and-off over time, and recently started listening to the latest podcasts. It's sort of good for the facts and discussions, but I think they really should get a comedian or two in to make it more entertaining. It's just QI researchers discussing facts they've uncovered and while interesting, it's not very funny, and when one or two of them try to be funny it just makes me cringe.

It's generally the older women who make for better female comedians, probably because they spent years perfecting their craft.

>But these birds on QI? Not even close
Precisely, they just came out of nowhere and they're still relatively long. They're of a different generation which made them think joking about being a woman and insulting men is progressive and empowering. The older generation doesn't rely on that. French and Saunders never went there, they were just talented and funny (still are).

>Are Vic and Bob the best living comedy double act who still work together?
Probably. Armstrong and Miller were great but they do their own thing now, Armstrong presenting Pointless, Miller got into acting. Their sketch shows were some of the best ever

It's true that the most successful shows here are presented by homosexuals, which makes you wonder. Still, they're obviously doing something right because those shows are really successful.

youtube.com/watch?v=lwNQf08Kxsw
First time I saw this, I fucking howled.

Sandi whateverthefuck was a mistake

As was the last leg, the fake news show, and everything Russel Howard has ever touched

I love their stuff so much. I cannot watch the Crazy Paving sketch without falling over laughing. It's just the way Armstrong gets so increasingly completely frustrated, and his ridiculous analogies to try and explain the concept of crazy paving.
youtube.com/watch?v=J9Y25Q5q5QE

They did one or two "Do you remember what you were doing when you heard (...huge world event...) happened?" Always gets me started.
youtube.com/watch?v=IXDOk0vq4aI

Also obviously any sketch ending in
>Kill them

Sandi Toksvig is great on QI, she's basically a female Stephen Fry. Educated, knowledgeable but not in an annoying, patronizing way.

>As was the last leg, the fake news show, and everything Russel Howard has ever touched
Couldn't agree more. All of those are painfully bad and should be stopped at once.

She's still not Fry. It just feels empty without him there.

>it's a Frankie Boyle has an empty discussion with four people who all agree episode

Lee Evans deserves a comedy panel show desu

anyone catch the latest taskmaster? I think mortimer might bag the season, and I really want him to.

Toksvig is an arrogant, self-obsessed cow who isn't even half as intelligent as she likes to believe herself. Her rambling stories are not endearing they're fucking grating.

The show died when Fry left.

I was really afraid that this would happen, but it turned out not to be true at all, in my experience at least. It feels like he never left.

I'm up to episode 6, that's the latest one, right? Or is ep 7 out already?
Mortimer has been getting good scores throughout and it's either him or Sally who'll win the gold head of Greg bloody Davies, but I do hope it's Bob.
>task is to use a facecam to make the best POV short film
>Bob Mortimer puts his hands in a huge box of Wotsits and finds his own face buried there
>camera changes to Wotsits-covered Bob looking at real Bob digging him out
That was fucking brilliant. He only got one or two points for that which is ridiculous.

7 is out, drive links in r/panelshow

Sean Lock will die in 2018.
Screencap this.

Cheers user. I know where to look for them, I just simply forgot which day the episodes end up online. Thanks.

Man don't even joke about that. Though he does look rather ill recently. Have you seen him on Countdown? All skinny and bald.

>Fry is an arrogant, self-obsessed cow who isn't even half as intelligent as he likes to believe himself. His rambling stories are not endearing they're fucking grating.
Do you see what I did there? Toksvig is exactly like Fry. I love Stephen Fry but don't you for a second deny he doesn't come across as arrogant and trying to appear more intelligent than he actually is. His anecdotes and attempts at comedy while hosting QI were dreadful as well. But he played the part of quizmaster well, and Toksvig does it quite the same way.

CRAZY PAVING!! I don't know how to...CRAZY PAVING!!!!

>Goooooooooooooooooooooooood evening, I'm a lesbian, I'm a lesbian, I'm a lesbian, I'm a lesbian, I'm a lesbian, I'm a lesbian, I'm a lesbian, and welcome to QI. Wanna hear about some obscure and uninteresting Scandinavian facts? Then you've come to the right place, here's my Randy Scandy of the week Also growing up in a girls boarding school was great hahaha

Out of interest. Is his Netflix show with his dad any good? I've actually heard good things about it.

I was really sad when Sean and John made to move to Countdown completely, but then I fell in love with this potato right here so it worked out

I love Michael Whitehall (his father). I'm not a fan of Jack Whitehall but I'll watch anything with Michael.

The Netflix travel series was pretty good.

I was interested in the concept but can't bring myself to watch it because of how much of a cunt he is.

are you watching the latest season of taskmaster? she's on it, and pretty good. she's low key flirting with alex it feels like.

Backchat? I enjoyed it for what it was. All very much scripted, and the celebrity guests were very low profile, but it made me laugh now and then sure.

I know he did a travel thing with his dad, maybe you're referring to that, but I haven't seen it so I don't know.

>WELCOME to a UK panel show thread
Panel shows are what "news" networks have basically become in the US; people giving their opinions on current events.

Only topical panel shows. There's loads that rely on often improvisational comedy like QI and WILTY.
The others have gone to shit I grant you.

>I agree, the UK definitely produces a lot of high quality crime drama and detective shows and I'm a massive fan of the genre.
I think America just about wins it on the detective show front and I do love a good western. UK crime, spy movies and comedies are top class though. A cut above American ones.

>random denigrating comments about men