/who/ - Doctor Who General

Actually really well made spider monster edition

Why did we think it was embarassing once again?
- old thread

That's one sexy sexy spider............

How has your day been /who/?

No seriously, since when did threads move this fast again?

We had a bunch of conversations last thread. It was okay.

It was fine until y-y-you showed up C-Chris. I-I won't give you my crisps! OK?!

Reminder that cuter spider monster

GIVE ME THE FUCKING CRISPS RIGHT NOW YOU FAT CUNT

Because "well made" is a relative term.

I-I'm not scared of you anymore C-Chris! I m-made a deal with a g-g-girl.
She's standing right behind you Chris...
...I hope you've been practising your sums.

nice try user but we know you can't talk to women, that's why you have MY FUCKING CRISPS

Eh, I've had worse. Every day just seems to blend into one nowadays and I fucking hate it.

>MY CHILDREN
>MY CHILDREN
>MY CHILDREN

Rewatched the last finale and started wondering why Missy was so obsessed with Cybermen. Two series finales with her and metal.

Then remember that the Toclofane were essentialy Cybers, too.

Any more history with the Master perpetrating Cyber warfare?

This is one of those ones where it's a great practical, physical design, but the part that's actually a human in a suit totally ruins it.

Found out I have to add two courses to my degree plan, one this semester and one next semester, in order to graduate on time. Oh well. I've had worse days.

What's 7 multiplied by 23 pussyboy?

Yeah that's a shit fucking feeling. I try and fix that by like spicing my routine up a bit, like if it's the weekend I might go for a walk to an area (it's easier cos I live in LAAANDAAAAN) I rarely go to. IDK if that's any help but hope it gets better soon mate.

Oh shit man, have you got any interesting course choices at least?

161. Let me give you a quick cancerous normie meme maths session 2+2=4 4-1=3 quick maths

Which Doctors would vote UKIP?

Asian companion when?

How would you have done it? The design really worked and I think having the head be 2006 era DW CGI would've ruined it.

Is this sexy roleplay?

Anyone have a PDF of the newest Doctor Who Magazine?

I've got a 5 week 1000 level online course with nothing but adult students, so that'll be lulzy. The, for next semester, I have to choose between Honors Studies and Capstone Research. I'm not sure which I wanna do. Honors Studies will be more like a traditional class, but Capstone research is more of an independent study. That's pretty much it.

>How would you have done it?
Anything that didn't involve a humanoid upper body/face. It doesn't have to be CGI.

>This is one of those ones where it's a great practical, physical design, but the part that's actually a human in a suit totally ruins it.
>How would you have done it? The design really worked and I think having the head be 2006 era DW CGI would've ruined it.
I prefer practical designs like cosmetics and prosthetics over CGI, especially if we're talking about the CGI quality in Doctor Who a decade ago. Remember The Lazarus Experiment?

Nothing but adult students doesn't sound super awful imo, but maybe that's just me. I'd go for Capstone research since I like independent study but again that's me. Just do whichever you think you can get 'the most' out of, be that grades or enjoyment.

If you find that exchange sexy I worry about you

You mean you'd rather change the entire design so it didn't have a human torso and head sticking out, and have it look like an actual spider by using practical effects to give it a face? I thought you didn't like the way it was executed and wanted the upper body to be animatronic or something.

I don't know, maybe he developed an obsession for evil robots at a young age?

vk [slash] doc382399744_452477611?hash=a80a19183853af77f4&dl=2823543b5b665332aa

>You mean you'd rather change the entire design so it didn't have a human torso and head sticking out, and have it look like an actual spider by using practical effects to give it a face?
Something like that, yes. I'm against this whole thing of every alien having an obvious naff humanoid part, and in the case of the Racnoss it's particularly egregious in contrast to the actually spider-like rest of the body (right down to the "these are my human arms, but look we made them into pretend spider legs").

Imagine how much freakier it would look if they just stuck to their guns and made it a giant monster spider. Maybe it would be a shame to reduce the hilariously camp dame overacting aspect, but it would probably be easier to take seriously.

Nah, it'll be a piece of cake. I work with adult students on a regular basis (I also work for the school), and most them are... funny, which is the kind way to put it. It'll be an interesting class.

I'd enjoy Honors Studies more. but CR would be a little more practical because I'd basically be writing a sample paper to apply to Grad school with. I just don't know if I wanna go to grad school or not.

On an unrelated note, does anyone have a link to The Twelve Doctors of Christmas anthology that came out last year? I wanna read the First Doctor story that's in there.

(you have to put https at the start for it to work some reason)

>404 not found

Hey guys, I haven't been on here in like a month, what was the reaction to the Shada thing? I'm looking forward to it, but the animation doesn't look promising desu (im sure theyre doing the best they can with their budget and timeframe, but it still looks a bit odd)

Also, on a slightly related note, anyone excited for the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy radio series coming back? I dont really like And Another Thing that much, but I'm still excited somehow. Just having the cast together again is exciting enough

>what was the reaction to the Shada thing
Laughter at Ian Levine's suffering.

I had a similar experience recently. I'm terrible at sorting out my life so I forgot I had to apply and enroll in two extra courses this semester in order for me to free up space in my final year so I can study abroad. I was late, but I managed to get in. The extra work on top of my normal courses is a huge fucking pressure though, but I really want to go abroad next year so I'll just have to get through this.

>maybe he developed an obsession for
>he
How bloody dare you!
Joking aside, do you think Chibbers will use the Master during his showrunning era? Would you like Jodie to face off with a male or a female looking Master? Or should they put the Master on ice for a couple of years?

see sorry it kept getting flagged as spam when I tried to post the link straight

13 versus a new female Master (preferably going by just 'The Master' this time) would potentially be very kino. I have a feeling Chibnall will shelve the character though.

I feel your pain, although not as intensely as you do. That sucks man.

On that topic, I don't think he should just ice the Master for his whole era, but he should definitely let it rest for a few years. Regardless of one's opinion on Missy, Michelle Gomez is a tough act to follow.

>preferably going by just 'The Master' this time
That'd attract a lot of SJWs.

What if Briggs Finish got another actor to play the war doctor in his youth/early days?
Who would you like to see take up the role?
How would you like to see him portrayed?

It really wouldn't, provided they were unambiguous about her identifying as a woman despite using the masculine form of the title.

That's a bit of a sore spot, because you're asking an actor to fill in for what ought to be John Hurt in his prime of youth (so one of the most praised actors of our time). I don't feel it would go well.

I suppose my biggest issue with Hurt's audio is how he moans about doing terrible things all the time but actually do anything reprehensible until his very last story. I kind of hope that, if this were to happen, we'd see the Doctor forced into some hard decisions he actually has to make.

Do it. Make him a brutal, effective soldier that gives people the briefest of chances to surrender before destroying them. Give him the most vengeful and dangerous of seven's qualities, manipulating armies and commanders with ease, and when his enemies think they're safe, because they've been captured, he shoots them himself, because the war is so bad there's nothing else to be done. Make him actually be an incarnation the Doctor would be ashamed to be, so that when we see the older version of the war doctor, once again behaving classically doctor-like, we can see how he went from a desperate 8 to a full-on warrior to an old man that just wants it all to stop.

>I feel your pain, although not as intensely as you do. That sucks man.
Hah, cheers man. It's a hectic life for sure, juggling all those courses while also working 25 hours a week to pay the bills. But I get through it by focusing on the idea of studying abroad next year, which will be very much worth it I feel.

I personally think Chibbers will put the Master on ice, yeah. All signs indicate that he wants to do his own thing, so I doubt we'll see any previous recurring characters, aside from Daleks and possibly Cybermen. I absolutely love the Master but I think it would be better to keep him out of the show for a few years. It would make his eventual inevitable return that much better.
I do hope Chibbers will introduce one or two new recurring characters in his run though, like a Jack or a River.

And have him voiced by Nick Briggs.

>I do hope Chibbers will introduce one or two new recurring characters in his run though, like a Jack or a River.
I have little doubt that Chibnall will introduce a lot of recurring characters and turn the show into an ensemble again.

That's pretty neat. I like that. I've never bothered to put effort into any fan-art type stuff, but I'm glad that people do

Fuckin' this. This is what Hurt's audios were missing.

Oh for sure. I think it'll definitely be worth it!

I always wonder about this. Chibnall is known for his works featuring an ensemble cast, but that doesn't really work with Who.
Unless they go the Pertwee route and have Jodie stuck on Earth, and then introducing a dozen new characters that develop over several series. I don't think so though. He'll change the show definitely, but I hardly think his frequent use of an ensemble cast will change the show that much. I can see recurring characters appearing, but I don't think we'll get a something like a whole series set on Earth.

>making the doctor evil

only on /who/

Actually I remember the social justice types getting really upset at the master going by 'missy'. Somehow it was forced sexualization.

Not evil - just an actual soldier in the worst war in history. He's not a villain, though he's the closest the Doctor gets. But he's certainly not a cackling madman, he's just fighting a war as efficiently and effectively as possible, in order to end it quickly. The difference from all his other incarnations is that he specifically is fighting, and he's very, very good at it.

Not evil, but a good man forced into circumstances where the only choices are evil.

Ignoring that you've simplified user's post down in an incredibly facile manner there...
The entire crux of any "so deep character drama" surrounding the Doctor is that he's capable of great harm, caprice, and yes cruelty, but his better nature overcomes it. To have some idea that, even when he's literally renounced his own name in order to fight in the worst and most brutal hell-war in all of reality, he must never be shown doing anything bad because it would taint him - defeats the whole point because it's the same as writing him to be incapable of bad things. When you have the one period in his life designated as "the bit where he did bad things which he will spend the rest of his life trying to do penance for", then actually use it.

They'll argue and complain about anything. Missy would be too diminutive (Missy sounding too childish), Mistress would imply either bondage or adultery. You can't please everyone, especially the kind of people who expect the world to work exactly like they want it to.

Am I alone in thinking the Tennant/Tate was the best Tardis team in NuWho? I fucking love S4 just so much because of them together.

I've never used this before, but:

>blocks your path

A MONDASIAN CYBERMAN

I grew to dislike Clara more and more with every series. She was cute and all, but very much overstayed her welcome in my opinion.
That moment in Last Christmas with 12 finding an elderly Clara was kino and would've been a great and bittersweet farewell to the character.
Much better than whizzing off into space in a fucking diner with Quasimodo.

To be fair, mind of evil was an episode designed around a mind parasite trapped in a machine that turned people into vegetables. Thats kinda close.

Autons are ambiguous. They're some kind of hive mind that possesses plastic. They dont really have human bits though

>mfw legitimately thinking about animating a missing ep

Do it.

Nah m8. If you're gonna do that, do a mcgann.

>blocks your path

We need Eccleston BF stuff.
Surely there's a way to find out his home address. We could all go marching to him with bags of crisps, shouting sums at him until he finally does the right thing and voice some audio stuff.

>Peterson Joseph as the Doctor
I so, so much want this to happen. Very underrated actor. I watched Rellik and he was superb. Most people will know him from Peep Show where he also steals the show in every scene he's in.

Alright /who/, when the FUCK is filming starting?

Ahhhh, I remember the days where I didn't loathe James Cordon. Funny guy, co-wrote Gaving and Stacey, likable guy in general. And then America got hold of him and now he's doing one of those generic terrible late night shows,

I know Paterson Joseph as the transparently shifty dude from Timeless.

All signs point to the new series airing in just about exactly one year, 12 episodes over three months and then the Christmas Special. Going by previous records, filming should start in February or March at the very latest.

I've never heard of Timeless, I'll give it a watch. I love Paterson Joseph a lot, great actor and apparently very pleasant man in general. He comes across as just the right kind of guy to b the Doctor and be good about handling the fame and fans, much like Capaldi.

>implying james corden's late night show isn't surprisingly high quality.

Thats where you're wrong. Don't get me wrong, carpool karaoke is officially dead; but he plays off reggie watts well(who is a musical god) his sketch segments are generally pretty good(the one where he parodies david beckham's underwear commercials is hilarious) and generally speaking he's grown into the hosting part pretty well(the episodes where he just goes into people's houses are great).

he's still not as good as craig ferguson, but no one is as good as craig ferguson. Craig ferguson isn't even as good as craig ferguson anymore.

Been off /who/ for a couple of days, what did I miss?

I'll be completely honest and say I haven't watched a single second of Corden's US late night stuff. I've heard it's popular, but I just don't like how Brits sell themselves to the US for a better paycheck. Corden's annoyed me before that as well, he's shown to be great at writing comedy (Gavin and Stacey), but all his other appearances are just him laughing at other people's jokes without contributing anything himself.
I also just don't like the general formate of US late night shows. I'd rather watch Graham Norton.

He actually does his format a little more like british tv shows: all the guests are on the couch, they parricipate in segments etc.

That sounds better than what I've seen from US late night stuff. I can't imagine he'd be anywhere close to Norton though. I might give it a try sometime.

I just don't understand why so many of those American talk shows tend to hire a Brit to host it. Not trying to get all Sup Forums here, but why don't Americans do their own talk shows and leave the UK talk shows to the British. If Americans like a UK host, why don't they just watch Graham Norton?

Because not everyone can get BBCA, or even knows how to find it. And Brits seem to have an air of class about them, from an American view. (Watch a few episodes of Skins will fix that, but not too many Americans have seen Skins (UK).)

>why so many of those American talk shows tend to hire a Brit to host it
But there's only John Oliver and Corden. And Graham Norton sucks desu.

Probably because Brits are more entrepreneurial when it comes to to talk shows, I've lived in America my whole life, we don't really see talk shows as anything beyond something to get ready for work to/something to go to sleep to.

I really don't think there's that many British hosts in American talk shows either? But then again, the only two I can name off the top of my head are Jimmy Fallon and Steven Colbert.

I'm not a Brit, I just use BBC iPlayer, it's easy as hell.

Graham Norton is the best talk show host at the moment, you're talking nonsense. All his guests feel comfortable and relaxed, and the format is great.

>(Watch a few episodes of Skins will fix that, but not too many Americans have seen Skins (UK).)
Skins was always a sleazy show, but it looked classy compared to the American version. The Tony in that version looked like he had severe facial deformities compared to Nicholas Hoult, and he was a worse actor to boot so there was no way viewers could believe he was a sociopathic womanizer.

Only Brits I can think of that have hosted US latenight are Cordon, Ferguson (scottish technically but whatever) and John Oliver, but Last Week Tonight is more of a news show really, and it's only on once a week.

I haven't seen much of Cordon's Late Late Show, but what I have seen I really do like, and he's definitely better than some of our other hosts, although Norton is significantly better than all of them

The guest segments are great, but that's because Norton always gets good guests. Norton by himself is annoying.

Generally speaking? Because British people can have a wide appeal while sounding exotic. Like, the problem with hiring a woman to do a talk show is that they have to get real raunchy to pull off shock comedy(chelsea handler, samantha bee) and it doesn't lead to broad appeal(i say that recognizing the pun. Hold your keks.) Otherwise american culture is fucking stupidly repressed and you can't say shit around a "lady". Which is fucking dumb, but I get it. So they hire british people, get them to say truck inatead of lorry and they package up a show as different.

Honestly, in the digital age they could just air the graham norton show at night; but you know how much money these things make? Celebrity guests appear for free, low production costs, and advertisers pay ridiculous money for the demographix that watches the 12:30+ time slot. It literally makes more money to make your own show for the slot as a result than to pay for a rerun or simulcast.

I think that for the big Hollywood stars it's just a breath of fresh air coming on Norton's show. They really seem to enjoy themselves because they can say and do whatever they want. The amount of times a Hollywood actor has a slight panic about saying a word like "fuck", "shit" is hilarious to me. In the US they really have to tread on glass, and the realization that they can just talk however they want seems to really make them feel cool and comfortable.
I still find it hilarious that US talk shows ban words like "fuck" even though they air in the evening.
One time some actress came on Norton and said "shit" and instantly held her hands on her mouth as if she'd just summoned Satan. And everyone just laughs at the idea that those stars are so used to adapting their vocabulary to agree with ridiculous TV laws and restrictions in the US.

>Otherwise american culture is fucking stupidly repressed and you can't say shit around a "lady"
I'm an American and this is not at all true now, maybe in the 60's

I know this isn't how you meant it, but you make it sound

Skins (UK) was a well-made show, about sleazy things. It was willing to show what teens at least think they want to be, unlike the US version, which couldn't really go there.

>I just use BBC Iplayer

Many of the older people still watching late night shows don't know how to access Iplayer, even if they do know how to use the Internet.

And why should British hosts only work on British shows? It's a global economy.

>Like, the problem with hiring a woman to do a talk show is that they have to get real raunchy to pull off shock comedy(chelsea handler, samantha bee) and it doesn't lead to broad appeal

This feels reductionistic...what about Ellen? Oprah's show? The Talk?

Also, mentioning Iplayer reminded me of the hype I felt waiting for the reveal of 13's casting. I actually slipped on the floor while walking to my laptop, nearly broke an arm.

Rumor has it something went down at the Bluebell Railway sometime this week, other rumors suggest that filming will start late this month. Either way, I'd expect S11 to air late Summer/early Autumn next year.

To be fair, they talk about really tame things on oprah or ellen compared to late night television. Huge difference in subjects.

GB consensus seems to be maybe end of this month/sometimes in November.

I remember staying up all night to try and watch the reveal then fucking falling asleep like half an hour before it and waking up like an hour later. In my chair and everything, like I was an old dork. Reeee, I wanted to share the surprise with /who/. At least I didn't nearly break my arm.

>And why should British hosts only work on British shows? It's a global economy.
Good point. I was just saying that it feels like you've run out of talented hosts so you buy good British hosts instead.

What happened to E4? It seemed like they were spearheading a new wave of British teen shows like Skins, Misfits, and Inbetweeners, but then those shows ended and they don't have anything as big as those anymore.

I remember the anticipation, and then grinning when I saw the face. (I didn't want to tell my family why I was grinning like an idiot and overexcited, but they probably noticed the difference in my attitude).

Maybe, in this world where some people still think "woman aren't funny" is a thing, the new set of female hosts are rebelling against the "lady" thing. As we get more female hosts, that might change. (America needs a Philomena Cunk equivalent). Tina Fey and Amy Poehler aren't fully in the "crass" or "class" category.

I'm not British, so I have no idea. Probably budget cuts from the government. (I know that specifically is what did in the Fades).

Also, Misfits was awesome. Even the final season.

Also, Skins became uneven due to changes in the writing team, and production.

There's this series called "HIM" out now. Is it any good?

Women can totally be funny, but as far as I know the only female late night host we have is Samantha Bee who I find totally obnoxious and unfunny

You're American, right Immigrant?