I just came back from watching this. What are Sup Forums's thoughts on this?

I just came back from watching this. What are Sup Forums's thoughts on this?
I hold this movie on praise for its soundtrack. Seriously, all the songs here were fucking amazing. I still have trouble deciding which one I liked best, but "You're Welcome" might be it.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=93lrosBEW-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=79DijItQXMM
youtu.be/_thMtWX_Vns
youtube.com/watch?v=LbCujYfIW34
youtube.com/watch?v=ubZrAmRxy_M
youtube.com/watch?v=PwReSCGL3ss
m.youtube.com/watch?v=-KUaaBlo1Wc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZrAmRxy_M
m.youtube.com/watch?v=cPAbx5kgCJo
youtu.be/ubZrAmRxy_M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>no furry
>no lesbian incest shipping
Forgettable, would not make a general for.

>What are Sup Forums's thoughts on this?
frm what i've seen so far, this guy is considered by Sup Forums to be the most attractive character in the entire movie

Jesus, don't be so paranoid. If every movie was about the same culture it'd be pretty boring; I like exploring different environments and myths.

That is something we all can agree on.

>You´ll never be shiny enough for him
>Why live?

maui has no nipples

He's a semigod; his genetics don't follow the human faulty design that makes men have 'em.

I enjoyed it. In fact, I think it was better than Frozen in alot of ways. I'd put in with Meet the Robinsons and other Disney Animation films which are good, but will and have gone unremembered.

yess!!!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=93lrosBEW-Q

>(Post more links guise!)

My brother and I thought it was better than Frozen too. I´m not sure about it being forgotten; the songs on Youtube have several million views.

youtube.com/watch?v=79DijItQXMM

This one got me dancing in my seat. My brother was surprised by how much he enjoyed this song.

youtu.be/_thMtWX_Vns

french version is my favorite, to be honest

>implying he isn't the shiniest character in the entire Disney universe

This user isn't shiny enough

Yeah!!

And you're welcome too!

You are reminding me why I got the french dlc for skyrim.

Great language, and thanks!

That was pretty good

Obligatory
youtube.com/watch?v=LbCujYfIW34

My nigger.

Are Polynesian deities OP? I mean, all the shit Mauie pulls off was the work of several gods and demigods in Greek Mythology for instance.

I have a huge weakness for songs that suddenly turn dark just as they reach maximum bombastic and flash, so You're Welcome definitely hit a soft spot for me.

He has nipples, but they're nearly skin tone and on top of that they're tattooed like the rest of him, so they're barely noticeable.

I loved this movie!

I don't know, Shiny did know how to balance the creepiness of a villain song with full blown out flamboyance.

> those lewds animator user drew of him

>, this guy is considered by Sup Forums to be the most attractive character in the entire movie

Sup Forums likes Jemaine so much they'd fuck a gas cloud voiced by him, so yes.

A gas cloud named fart.

I'd say the name it's the last of the cloud's problems.

Didn't think it was good but didn't think it was bad either. Too much singing for my liking. Songs were culturally indistinct as I was expecting some feel of Polynesia, there was none. Story was mildly entertaining but underwhelming, felt that Brave had a stronger story.

The manager at the theatre showing Moana in my town says the movie is very lightly patronized by it's 3rd weekend. Sales have fallen off to the extent that the theatre is essentially empty and the night screenings they usually shut down the projectors when no one shows up. They would replace it if they are allowed to but home office seems intent in keeping it on for now. And he says no one wants the movie posters, normally they take a lot of requests but not this time.

YMMV

Not really, Maui needed a magic hook to pull up islands, Hercules pushed Europe and Africa apart with his bare hands.

>feel of Polynesia, there was none
Negro what?

youtube.com/watch?v=ubZrAmRxy_M

>Hercules pushed Europe and Africa apart with his bare hands

Was that one of his twelve task or did he just do that because someone pissed him off?

Not sure, but he created the Mediterranean Sea. The mountains on either side of the Strait of Gibraltar are called the Pillars of Hercules for a reason.

Compared to his mythological counterpart, is Marvel's Hercules stronger or weaker?

The Rock can sing man, who saw that coming?

I'm glad he was an actual crab.

Everyone saw it coming, we already knew he could sing.

youtube.com/watch?v=PwReSCGL3ss

>all these human versions of Tamatoa never look like Jermaine doing a David Bowie impression

beginners

This guy should've been the villain... better yet, A villain.

Why does modern Disney go out of their way to avoid having villains in their movies anymore? Is this really the same company that gave us Scar, Maleficient, Ratigan, etc.?

>beginners
Absolutely

> wanting people to do what flight of the concords already did
> with all the most iconic bowie personas, even.

Except people have already done the "Tamatoa is a chubby generic Polynesian guy with jewelry on," so why not take inspiration from Tamatoa's inspiration, glam rock David Bowie?

also

>thinking I don't know about one of the most iconic and delightful flight of the conchords scenes ever

beginners

I agree that You're Welcome is the best song, and probably the most enjoyable Disney song of this current renaissance.

The movie was lame, though. Tired Disney formula. The only way they stirred this time was by not presenting a good guy early on and making him bad at the end.

[sub]They made the villain good![/sub]

(I hope Sup Forums will forgive my tag confusion)

The giant magic fish hook look like a manga or comics weapon.

Shiny is terrible and horrifying.... but I saw the movie opening week and I'm STILL singing it

Toddler Moana is really cute. Would molest.

I really don't get the appeal. The song wasn't that good, either.

Great movie but can't hit beloved worldwide appeal status like Frozen and Zootopia because it stars a brownie.

The villain was Maui because he was the asshole that caused the Polynesian apocalypse to happen.

>Why does modern Disney go out of their way to avoid having villains
>Gothel

>Hans

>Dr. Facilier

>Bellwether

2 of those sucked, and only had about 5 minutes to actually be villainous.

in modern pixar/disney movies it's not the villain that's important but character's insecurities they need to overcome.

>not presenting a good guy early on and making him bad at the end

they reversed it. duh

Boring story, Maui felt underdeveloped compared to Moanna, not enough characters, Maui's tattoo was the most annoying "pet" character in any Disney movie to date.

How Moana is doing in Japan. I think they like Polynesian island culture or at least Hawaii.

Kind of depends how you interpret some of Greek Mythology.

Marvel Herc is probably stronger, though as per usual with superhero's he very rarely actually does anything with his full strength

>Gothel
shit as a villain and unbelievable for not having genuine feelings for the protagonist despite raising her
>Hans
shit shoehorned villain just for the sake of being there, would be better off without nonsensical turn into villain
>Dr Facillier
cool classic 100% villain
>Bellwether
5 minutes "I'm actually bad!" twist villain

Villains arent inherently important to narrative. Conflict is. Villains are just one of many ways to bring conflict into the story.

Hasn't come out yet. Comes out in March.

I'm starting to believe people who cry "shill"

Everything said in the thread is pretty average and middling.

What are you even talking about.

Wow! I Hollywood movies take so long to be released in Japan?

golden week all over again.

Who knows. Rogue One came out about a week after it's release in the USA. The school year ends in late March, so maybe it was to coincide with that? Dunno.

when they started singing in Polynesian at the beginning of "we know the way" I legit thought I was having a stroke

Jesus it just keeps getting better

Is that an abo?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=-KUaaBlo1Wc

The music was shit man... Would you like me to play the Frozen OST for you as well when you take your 3'0 clock nappy?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZrAmRxy_M

The music is great, Fuck you user

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cPAbx5kgCJo

>posting the worst song in the movie

Best song coming trough
youtu.be/ubZrAmRxy_M

I also liked the music in the beginning when Moana is a baby.

Honestly You're Welcome is the only song I remember....like at all, that song is in my head on a daily basis since I saw it a few weeks ago but I don't remember any of the others off the top of my head, not even the Shiny song people seem to love so much, it did nothing for me and wasn't catchy to me

As for the movie itself I hate to admit that I found it kind of underwhelming, the humor was ok, I liked most of the characters, the visuals looked good, but it felt like something was kinda missing, it didn't feel as "epic" as it should have, like almost rather than a movie I watched a fairly long premiere episode of a tv show, it just didn't feel big enough of an adventure

Really enjoyed it, though it wasn't exactly groundbreaking, outside of reversing the modern Disney twist and making the obvious villain the good guy all along. Hell, the beginning is basically The Little Mermaid, except with slightly more complex characterization (Ariel didn't give a shit about undah the sea, while Moana at least was aware that she had responsabilities on the island) and the old lady enabler not being an evil witch.
Would have enjoyed more islander-sounding songs than just We Know The Way, too.

Visually though, god DAMN. Remember how liquids and flowing hair are supposed the most annoying things to CG well?

I loved Moana but I also wasn't expecting too much of Musker & Clemens who made some of worst Disney movies.

CONSIDER THE COCONUT

There was not one song I didn't like.

Consider the Coconut will be a meme for the ages.

>Beginning of movie is nothing but the islanders being super happy about all the stuff Maui got for them
>They won't stop singing about coconuts and shit
>Moiana treats Maui like garbage when she meets him

I loved it.
"You're welcome" is my favorite song of the movie.

>bling bling
loved it!

Maybe it's because she learned that the reason their island was dying was because of a big mistake he made? Maybe watch the fucking movie next time?

>I know, everybody on this ISLAND seems so happy on this ISLAND.
I know, everybody on this ISLAND has a role on this ISLAND.

Terrible.

yeah, that was lame and cringy

Maui and Moana roleswap?

but of course, and she gets away with it, everytime it's the guy who needs to help the girl and reveal his insecurities.

>>Moiana treats Maui like garbage when she meets him

> grandma tells her she needs to be forceful because Maui is a trickster god
> first thing Maui does is leave her to die in a cave
> refuses to help even when told that everything is his fault

Maybe because people want actual characters instead of petty caricatures.

Just a thought

Neither, Hercules was travelling, needed to get past a mountain, didn't want to climb it, so he just smashed it, creating the strait of Gibraltar and separating Spain from Morocco.

That would be "Innocent Warrior"

>shit as a villain and unbelievable for not having genuine feelings for the protagonist despite raising her
So... You hate the classic villain Frollo too?

>5 minutes "I'm actually bad!" twist villain
Eh, I thought her disposition was better suitable for a twist-villain than what they did with Hans

Really liked Maui, Moana is meh, and the villains are extremely bland.

I dare say the sequel will be better than the original.

well given the campbellian structure to this particular movie of course there was no villain. Tomatoa being anything other than an environmental hazard would've been pointless and absolutely retarded.

they don't care much for the culture other than the oddly timed thing with pokemon, it's just a popular vacation spot. But they've got such a firmly established tourist trap trade in hawaii that there's basically no hawaiian culture in it for them when they visit. Japanese tourists go to hawaii to stay in Japanese run hotels, in Japanese tourist towns, to eat at Japanese run restaurants, etc... There's actually a pretty involved history of Japanese tourist racketeering and yakuza presence in hawaii that's given the cops there a hard time.

>I just came back from watching this. What are Sup Forums's thoughts on this?

It felt too old fashioned for me. Moana wanting to go out and explore the world, in song, against the wishes of her stern father; they were totally Ariel/Triton here.

The film was also so episodic: the Kakamora appear, then are going in a few minutes. Pretty much the same for the Crab, even with his stinger scene.

Te Fiti was sexier than Moana.

If the Kamakora have ships like these, why haven't they conquered the whole Pacific yet?

>sequel

Never ever.

Only Frozen has the popularity for a 2.