What happened to New 52 Earth 2 after rebirth? Is it still around? I read a bit about it...

What happened to New 52 Earth 2 after rebirth? Is it still around? I read a bit about it, and I think it sounds interesting, but then it hit me that DC relaunched their line with some more "re"s because they are a bunch of faggots. So, I quickly lost interest in hunting down the books on account of "why bother, it probably got changed or restarted or everyone got killed again or something".

it's still going but ending sometime soon
the writing was okay but the whole thing is just tainted

Word is they'll be transported back as the Rebirth JSA. I hope they scoop up all the New 52 characters that got ditched in Rebirth and train them.

I guess I can pick it up until it ends.

Seems like an odd way to go, why not just transplant everything to their own earth?

Who cares?

After like ten issues it went to shit. Bad characterizations, bad costumes....

>After Robinson left it went to shit
ftfy

Nobody knows what they're doing with Earth 2 in Rebirth

E2S ends in March and there's been a couple hints towards pre Flashpoint JSA but no solid info on what they're doing with Earth 2 after it ends

I still get mad thinking about how this book and its pitch was so completely shat upon.

Tell me more.

Robinson was overrated on that. It was okay at best.

Are you not aware?

The premise was doing a complete reboot of the JSA and the Earth-Two concept, but in present day.

You had young Alan Scott and Jay Garrick just getting their powers. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were killed off at the start of the series. Sandman and Atom and Hawkwoman were government agents. Huntress and Power Girl were back to their original incarnations, although they had their own series where they were stuck on Earth-0. And so on.

All the while there was an overarching story of Apokolips invading, which ended up happening in full. However, tension had built up between Robinson and editorial, because they were wanting to keep taking more control over the book and were going to spin it off into a weekly about Batman, which Robinson was against because the entire point was that they didn't have to give screentime to the Trinity in this universe. Personally, I think much of the Apokolips plot itself was from editorial, but that's just conjecture.

Either way, Robinson ragequit the book, and his last issue ends with Apokolips' invasion being successful and the Earth being effectively half destroyed. Whether this was Robinson salting the earth for the future writer or simply setting up editorial's existing plan we may never know.

But as planned Tom Taylor of Injustice fame came on, but as the main writer instead of on the weekly. As expected his story is much more focused on Batman (the Flashpoint Thomas Wayne version) and an evil version of Superman, but also bizarrely enough about his OC black Kryptonian Val-Zod, Red Tornado Lois Lane, and Jimmy Olsen with mind-powers. Very far from what this series was originally about, with the JSA members taking a backseat.

Eventually the weekly did come to fruition with Earth-2: Worlds' End, with an all-suck team of awful writers doing one of the worst books of the decade, and eventually taking over the main book as well.

the worst thing is taylor said they really let him do anything he wanted no matter how stipid it was

But then after all of that Dan Abnett came on to the book and it's been pretty good. And yes the main cast is still Taylor's characters (because they're the only ones who survived the weekly) but it's been readable for a while.

Their book somehow was even more retarded than Taylor's, and though everyone was hoping the book's major part in Convergence would end with it finally being rebooted, instead we just got the same characters on a whole new Earth unsettled by humans: Earth-2 Society.

After more promises of fixing the series and more failures to deliver on those promises, Dan Abnett was brought on to try and put out the dumpster fire and end this goddamn story.

Astonishingly it's still alive almost a year later, but the current arc is absolutely the final fate. So even if we don't get a hard reset of this catastrophe, at least the pain will finally end for us JSA fans.

Well, to be fair, that worked pretty well for them financially with the Injustice comic.

>Whether this was Robinson salting the earth for the future writer or simply setting up editorial's existing plan we may never know.
Considering that Taylor admitted to ghost writing part of the last issue and it shortly lead into World's End I think it's a safe assumption that editorial wanted it

That Sup Forums ME3 mad post is the only thing that accurately describes my anger towards what happened to E2

I like what Abnett has done with the setting, but I hate the cast so much

Post it please

I wonder if they're gonna write the same kind of ending JL3K1 got

Why are editors in the comics industry allowed to control the story? Isn't an editor's job to, y'know, proofreading and shit?

No, and for cape comics it should be more than that honestly. It's just in this case editorial completely turned around on what the original idea of the book was.

To be fair after ME2 he shouldn't have expected much in the "story matters" department. I am surprised more ME1 fans did not get mad about the almost-literal killing of ME1 that happens in ME2, especially how blunt it is at the start.

It is pretty much like the JSA thing, except expecting things to be good after Taylor had his fun.

Essentially, their job is to sell the book. It's like the creators are the engineers, and the editors are the marketers. More often than not in the last few decades, editors are "big picture" guys, or "idea" guys, who don't really know anything about writing, as opposed to the old days when you had people like Roy Thomas and Dennis O'Neil who were experienced writers becoming editors.

Editors tend to set the overall story direction in modern comics. Sometimes you have a writer with a good enough story already that the editor doesn't have to do much and just overlooks from a distance, and sometimes you have an editor who goes to the writer with the story idea in the first place.

Often things go awry when you have a writer who's just there for the paycheck and filling in dialogue which was pretty much the biggest problem with comics in the era of 2009-2010ish. Or when you have editors and writers with differing ideas of where the story should go.

It was not a book any Earth 2 fan or JSA fan ever cared for. It totally rewrote the characters into some weird new incarnation that had nothing to do with the old ones.

So it was entirely for new readers, but new readers had a hard time coming in since it still borrowed heavily from old stories establishing the world.

I don't think that's true man. There are definitely JSA fans on this board who dug the book at the very least.