"Let's make every scene and every shot longer than it needs to be."

>"Let's make every scene and every shot longer than it needs to be."
- Ridley Scott

Just saw this for the first time yesterday. What a pile of shit. Why does this movie have such a cult following? It's terrible 80's sci-fi wrapped in a monotone story I couldn't care less about. Dull, dull, dull.

What a terrible film. Why do people like it so much? Or do they just pretend for fear of backlash?

tl;dr - Blade Runner sucks.

You hate that much because it's so overrated. Give it time and you'll eventually appreciate it more.

>Just saw this for the first time yesterday.
Are you 15?
btw I also didn't like it the first, but the second time I thought it was absolutely mediocre.

It’s great pleb filter. I love seeing these brainlets who think they are ascended geniuses for liking the new one and not being able to get this one

>not being able to get this one
What is there to "get"?

>Are you 15?
27. I just never saw it but wanted to before seeing the new one.

>he literally can’t even comprehend deeper layers to movies
2049 fags...

I love cyberpunk so much that this movie was like a 9/10 for me and I wasn't bored for a second. But yeah OP I admit the movie heavily depends on liking the genre/atmosphere.

Saw it yesterday with my dad . It's definitely a valid criticism, many scenes could be trimmed down and nothing could be lost, especially in the apartment.
However it's a minor annoyance compared to the unique and dense atmosphere/sountrack/visuals .I'm not gonna say the writing is all that good, but there are some amazing movie trough the film that make it worth watching, especially the ending

reddit middle brow glorification.

I think the biggest criticism goes to the acting. Most of the actors (especially Ford) can't act for shit. It's a good movie though

Nothing.
Go see geostorm you'll love it!

the new one has actually more to GET though.
the religious symbolism isn't' as obvious, the world feels richer and more developed, there is an actual plot/detective mystery and it's more convoluted. And it takes the two most poignant moments of the original and expands them as the main point of the film

See, this is where you are confirmed a brainlet. You can’t see past plot elements or visual imagery. You’re the kind of guy who can’t look at a painting and say what it means, only how it looks. You are sadly an idiot who thinks he is smart, aka someone who loves the new movie

Calm down satan, Blade Runner is not particularly deep.

I’m not saying it’s super deep, i’m saying you don’t know what depth is

millennials have such short attention span

>You can’t see past plot elements or visual imagery
>say what it means
The original wouldn't be nearly as popular or loved if it didn't have such mesmerizing imagery or soundtrack. That's what most of the movie is, taking in the sets and the mood. Those parts of the movie don't necessarily say or mean anything...
And I know what it means, nu Blade Runner makers know too, that's why they expand on what worked most in the original

>they know what the audience want! I need hamfisted flashbacks and dialog that spells everything out for me!

>You are sadly an idiot who thinks he is smart
heh, kid

>the unique and dense atmosphere/sountrack/visuals .

It's filthy, seedy. Blade Runner is one of the least comfy films I've ever seen, especially whenever Roy is on screen.

The visuals of Blade Runner 2049 are often gorgeous. It draws you in, whereas Blade Runner repulses you.

I know that it's a matter of taste. I get that the filthy look of Blade Runner reflects the moral degradation of the society. I get that cynical Gen Xs want things to gloomy and depressing to match their nihilistic souls and wicked sense of humour.

>tells me I'm stupid because I can't see beyond the plot
>biggest complaint is that there are flashbacks for explaining the plot

Hmm. And no the dialogue doesn't spell out the themes or "the meaning" you can make your own conclusions about what K's last moments meant, just like the originals Rutger Hauer last moments

Just saw the new one and couldn't believe it was a "blade runner" film. How does the original look better while coming out 30 years before? It makes zero sense. For as much shit as we give Ridley, deservedly so, he is talented and that's something I cant say about Dennis V. or Deakins. What a fucking disappointment.

>f-fuck gen x and their dystopias
>I like the new one which is also a dystopia
retard

I don't think you read my post mate.

Blade Runner is a filthy dystopia; Blade Runner 2049 is a quite beautiful one.

Blade Runner: Deckard goes around shooting and killing bad guys who are engineered bio-humans.
original cut: keeping alot of the voice overs, really solidified the "noir"-ish feeling of the movie.
Blade Runner 2049: K uses his resources and skills to track down the offspring of atleast one replicant.

I think the resurgence of blade runner started with the whole "is Deckard a replicant"

I feel Blade Runner 2049 stays true to the detective part,
keeps the noir and cyber punk elements of the original and kicks them up a few notces.

Original Blade Runner was an action movie marketed as a thriller

You're not supposed to watch it on your phone.

It looks cool.

>References Freud and Nietzsche with religious overtones in literally one movement of one character

>Not deep

i saw it a week ago. first half was boring desu. very artsy but not fun.

second half was good and i liked the final cut's ending.

but the book is better anyway

Pretty much this.

All these "BR is so bad hurr durr" comments come from millennials who are angry that they couldn't get the original film after seeing and falling in love with their pretentious reddit "masterpiece."

Let me tell you something kids, back in the old days, you were held by your hand and spoonfed through the entire movie. Producers and directors were balls enough to say "if they don't get it, fuck those plebs."
Unlike in current day where every fucking shit is designed for plebs for more profit.

So yeah, fuck you faggotass op, go watch baby driver or another shitty
reddit flick.

weren't*

>ITT: butthurt babies angry that others don't like their pseudo-intellectual sci-fi garbage flick that's as deep as a puddle

> the attention span has reduced to that point that classic noir visuals and tension are pointless

Just flash colour, sex and violence at them. FFS, your generation is a fucking disgrace.

>implying that shots should only last as long as the plot demands it
you don't deserve movies, watch teen titans or something

Every shot should have a length that the viewer doesn't notice. If the viewer notices then the shot isn't good enough. Annoying quick-cuts are too short and fast and get noticed and hated on for that reason. Same with shots that are too long and linger too much. You can go too far and Blade Runner definitely went too far. Having lots of long lingering shots doesn't make a movie some kind of deep complex masterpiece.

God I fucking hate millennials.

I've concluded that something must have got into the water supply, circa 1995, that caused a generation of birth deformities in the brain.

>be me
>go to kinoplex to finally watch one of the most acclaimed movies of all time
>already know and love the OST
>very excited about a film for the first time in years
>fall asleep halfway through (for first time ever in a cinema)

>You are sadly an idiot who thinks he is smart

The irony coming from a pseud who thinks he's better than everyone else but refuses to ever abandon his comforting blanket of ambiguity.

>THIS MOVIE IS SO DEEP
>really, why?
>uhhhh fuck- I mean YOU JUST DON'T GET IT WHAT ARE YOU AN IDIOT?

When I saw it for the first time I thought it was dog shit. But now I watched it with a good dosage of patience. You know what? It's kino. Use your patience and you'll see. The same goes to Drive.

Why should a film be watched more than once in order for iy to be enjoyed? A film is not a 3 minute song

2 hours out of your life does not compare to the time spent reading a novel or playing a fucking video game.

>Original Blade Runner was an action movie marketed as a thriller
that's the stupidest think i've read this fucking week

The first is more beautiful in every aspect but arguably 2049 makes you think more.

They are both two good movie and thematically similar. Original is slightly superior visually, the second more dragged but perhaps with slighly better written character.
Anyone here going "ABLOBLOOO if you don't like the original you are a 2049 brainlet" is either a 16 y.o. trying to look smart, or Razorfist.

>Original Blade Runner was an action movie
no

>If the viewer notices then the shot isn't good enough

you are assuming all viewers are made equally though. Unfortunately this is not the case, and many have short attention spans.

I don't read novels nor play video games but you should be able to enjoy a good book or a video game without having to re read them or replay them. Scott himself never got past the first few chapters of the book because it was "too dense" for him and like a good cuck you have to force yourself to like it by watching the whole thing again.

>Blade Runner is one of the least comfy films I've ever seen,
Blade Runner is comfy as hell for me. Constant rain, neon lights and gorgeous music

Any scene in Deck's apartment is God tier for comfiness

Chances are you're a millennial too m8

t. ADHD brainlet

This. Original BR is amazing on a technical and aesthetic level; the new one improves on it in every way while standing on its own.

I disagree. In terms of set design and soundtrack, BR is easily superior to BR2049. But I think BR2049 is richer besides those elements.

This. Scott's action scenes are really anti-action scenes. He's not interested in any schlocky kung fu shit. People may get beated up and shot, but nobody really fights in BR.

>mfw gymnastics is considered a martial art

Sup jay

>Doesnt know what Noir is.

>BR2049 is richer besides those elements.
I think BR2049 might be concidered richer only because it had BR as a foundation, thus had the "energy", time and resources to develop, expend and elaborate on themes, world and motives of BR as it didn't need to spend those "resources" establishing them, cause BR already had done it. So it might seem that it's richer, cause it goes a little further down the path that was laid by BR, but on its own, it hardly is.

shit taste, mate

kys booktard

Hello villeneuve!

I actually saw it for the first time yesterday too, and I only have one question

Why is it always raining in the movie?

But the book has more cool stuff that improves the world-building, like those mood-changers and the fake police station chapter. And all the fake animals subplot.
Also if I recall correctly, deckard didn't know nexus 6s' appearances in the book, so the was more investigations and tests.

They're both good movies for different reasons you contrarian fuckheads.

>But the book has more cool stuff
Well, no suprises there, but Books =/= movies. How many times must that be repeated? Movies aren't supposed to cover the every detail of the book they adapt, not that they ever could, not with the lenght of Electric sheep with a single movie, at least. Besides, the movie is a deliberately loose adaptation of the book in the first place. And many of the visual and atmospheric elements that became a cult classic and influenced the cyberpunk aesthetic were movie's original vision.

Blade Runner has excellent visuals, music, production design, and atmosphere. Everything else, especially the story and acting, is mediocre at best. It's really more of an important film than a classic film that actually stands the test of time. If it weren't for the "tears in rain" scene nobody would call it a masterpiece. Just now that Blade Runner paved the way for better science fiction films. You don't have to pretend to like it like all of these nostalgia-fags.

The book was short as fuck, but anyway i agree with what this guy says They're both good but if i had to recommend it to a friend i'd siggest to read the book first

> Everything else, especially the story and acting, is mediocre at best
>If it weren't for the "tears in rain" scene nobody would call it a masterpiece
nah

>having an attention span shorter than your cock

This. 2049 is the redditors blade runner

this nigger probably watched it on his 23" TN panel. some scene rip too no doubt.

so disgusting. if you haven't experienced this movie in the cinema you should not be allowed to judge it.

>le what makes us human

>
>>he literally can’t even comprehend deeper layers to movies
>2049 fags...

>>He literally can't even explain himself because he's too embedded in the 'muh cult classic' memery
>Actual fags...

utter pleb