What happened to roman movies?

What happened to roman movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u49QAwGcQF4
youtube.com/watch?v=KOZs2_i_cDE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rape_of_Lucrece
youtube.com/watch?v=HpF3i2B2-Ek
twitter.com/AnonBabble

in this day and age there is literally no chance for roman movies.

Unless they're all black except the women*

got replaced by more generalized swords n sandals genre, which over the last few years has produced some real shitty ones like Seventh Son, Clash o the Titans, Hercules, etc. Prior to now, Hollywood nearly always used roman-themed movies (Im thinking in the 50s-60s) as explorations of Christianity, and now that casting Christianity in a purely-positive light is so taboo, there's no reason to invest in the expense of creating a good looking Roman flick. Besides this, your modern american audience grew up in an era were Romans and Greeks were mentioned, but weren't really studied in depth in public education like they were in earlier generations. People know they existed, but don't really have enough interest in the period outside of people who study it in higher ed (small %) and people who play videogames set in loose adaptations of these eras (slightly larger small %).

peaked with Gladiator

Centurion was ok but roman movies are fucking boring.

Cost/return skewed away from making these movies.

Peaked at Gladiator, shit like Legion/King Arthur/Last stand, those movies killed it.

Not to mention Rome is still one of the most set-intensive-expensive shows of all time. Still.

And that was because they were trying to do something more authentic.

Most you can hope for in future is greenscreen shit like Spartacus.

Last one I remember was The Eagle with Channing Tatum

>there will never be a good boudicca movie

>that casting Christianity in a purely-positive light is so taboo
wat

Not him, but a lot of the big Roman movies of the epic film era featured the story of Christ in some way. Ben Hur for example.

Positive Christian themes in films are not welcomed. I believe that's what user meant.

I enjoyed Centurion from Michael "big dick" Fassbender more than Gladiator.

the existing Boudicca movie was good though, why don't you like it?

>He doesn't know

youtube.com/watch?v=u49QAwGcQF4

People aren't interested in it anymore and its too expensive to make.
Why make historical movies in the first place when you can make cgi based capeshit that rakes in hundreds of millions of dollars.

I liked Centurion: youtube.com/watch?v=KOZs2_i_cDE

But maybe because I loved the landscape through the movie.

EYO WE WUZ ROMANZ

AYO U SAYIN WE WUZ LEGIONS?

The 2016 Ben Hur was way more christlarpy than the original

We accept worthy recruits from all parts of the Empire. From North Africa to the steeps of Thrace.

jesus christ, please tell me this is some kind of joke

sorry, meant the "Britannia" thing above

WE WUZ EUROPEEEANS N SHEEEEIT

Gladiator, The Eagle, Centurion.
There's one like every 7 years. Period pieces in general are expensive to make. And Chinamen wanna see robots fighting.

Real question is, where's the (Eastern) Roman movies? Is Hollywood run by T!rks now?

what's wrong with it?

>We accept worthy recruits from all parts of the Empire
that explains why a ginger knob is a ranking officer of the legion

>boudicca

>lost the only batlle she was involved and flee like a bitch instead of facing the romans

Not at the time you didn't. Not for the legions. Maybe, maaaaybe there were a handful of nig nogs in the Egyptian Auxiliary.
But whenever they put some Bantu-looking East African in a Roman piece they always say he's from Carthage or Numidia.

There has been one movie about the ERE and it was a propaganda movie made by T*rks about the Fall of Constantinople.

barbarians invaded and everything collapsed

GET IN LINE YOUR DRUNKEN FOOL

I'll not deny it, friend, I have a Gallic look about me, but I'm as solid Roman as you are.

its not run by turks, but the fear of muh islamophobia is so great that producers dont want to take the risks. A film like El Cid would be almost impossible to greenlight today because mohammedans and more importantly sjw would be triggered unless they are portrayed in some turbo-noble way

The correct answer is that there's currently no reason to trick young Americans into signing up to die in some different shithole country. All we can do is hope for another war in some shit hole so we can have war propaganda movies again.

but is it that unlikely that a slave originally taken deeper south lives in numidia carthage, then is freed, joins the legions?

Why are there no movies about Late Rome/the Byzantine Empire?

>born in Cisalpine Gaul
>solid Roman

well at least he honours his citizenship through military service

>tfw no Anabasis movie

It would work great as a movie.

kind of like behind enemy lines but in antiquity and with lots of soldiers.

Yes, insanely unlikely. A freed slave wouldn't be allowed to join the legions. And he probably wouldn't have been allowed to join the various ethnic auxiliary as he wasn't apart of any tribe and wasn't trained in combat. If he wanted to join the military in some capacity the best he could be was a rower.

>that image
I would like a Genesis movie.

With a scene of the daughters that raped their father.

It could even start out with Xenophon talking to Socrates about joining Cyrus.

>Yes, insanely unlikely.
good thing movies are made out of the exceptionals and not the average

I don't know bro, maybe because they are different to what people think a roman should look like? and they where killing arabs left and right, it doesn't suit with the modern view of social justice.

if Neptune sinks your ship would you die?

>Before Greeks
>After Greeks

>make epic historical film about the heroic fight of the Sicarii and Zelaots against the roman legions
>Sup Forums turns apeshit and bitches for months about le jewish propaganda and how romans only acted preemptively because da juice wanted a world governmement and turn the roman youth into trannies or sth

> sulla poster
Begone!

>when there are no issues so you have to make up issues so you could virtue signal to others
You are literally obsessed.

HE WORSHIPS DOGS
AND REPTILES

HOW DARE YOU, BOY?

>Movies set in the ancient world have to be about war

you're part of the problem

I declare three: The Faggot of the Republic.

the only thing worth telling from antiquity is warfare.

BRUTUS?

come on, you know that would happen and they would flood Sup Forums as soon as a film about massada / temple siege / whatever would come out

wtf is the motion he does with his arms? it gets me everytime

i have said it for 10 years and i say it again: i demand a horror film set in roman antiquity

that's the Roman version of jumpcuts and obnoxious music in tv news

wrong, theres also rape:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rape_of_Lucrece

literally obsessed holy shit what is fucking wrong with you

do you think like this all day?

why can't they make a Hannibal crossing the alps to invade Rome movie?

why are you so obsessed with me? Stop replying to me you pervert, i dont want to sleep with faggots

sure you don't

Fucking Thracians!

the small guy with the lions head lmao
i'd watch a movie about him

no thanks

he's from the manlet cohort

Piss poor argument m8

Not even an exception, an impossibility at the time. Read some Goldsworthy. Most Roman citizens weren't even allowed to join the army an wars were fought (the Social Wars from the word Socii) about Romes neighbors, some only 30 miles away, getting citizenship.

Basically if you weren't born in Rome or from the equestrian class (the richest class) in Central Italy, you weren't getting citizenship ever. And most surrounding rich allies in Central Italy got citizenship without the right to vote, and voting only took place in Rome itself, so was moot.

The Romans exemplify everything our society despises today (manliness, discipline, organization, violence, ambition, strength, responsibility). The only way another Rome movie could be made anytime soon is if it focused solely on the hedonistic aspect of Romans. Maybe there could be a young bi curious Caesar having sex with Sulla for 2 hours?

>protagonists in movie dont' have plot armor
Don't be retarded user, why would you say that?

That's not what the definition of plot armour is

ok Sup Forums direct the battle of Canne and make it good tier

>armour
>he is a britbong
Opinion discarded. You know nothing about this subject.

Let us, americans, discuss this subject at hand.

we wuz roman n shit

Which Roman era most deserves more kino?

Punic Wars

generally the very outskirts of the empire. I want a film about an aging roman officer stationed on the atlantic coast in morocco, his existencial crisis there and his daily struggles with uncivilised barbarians

Breaking ranks and directly assaulting a shield wall is something you would expect the dumb nigger Gallic savages to do, not the Romans.

check the grass field, they are retreating and just now decided to make a last stand

>Marius in exile a la Marie Antoinette (2006)
fuck yea

Still doesn't mean running wildly at them without a formation is smart.

no one is running wildly at them, they are forming a defensive line ahead of their commander. This is my headcannon

unfortunately we are never going to see it, cause the few times people want to watch historical kino will be about the romans fighting cave people in germania with siege machines in a forest, for some reasons

Stylistically ugly. The armor famously worn at any other time was much better

what about Sumer? i want some SCI-fi movie about their technology, astronomy, society, long-term view of mankind
inb4 avp

>wishing for the perfect film about Maya/Aztecs/Olmecs
>remember that it exists

wow everyone forgot about the most kino as fuck punic war movie

youtube.com/watch?v=HpF3i2B2-Ek

-The economic climate
-Risk averse studios
-Guaranteed money from capeshit
This is what happened to any movie. Reminder that YOU are to blame. Stop giving shekels to capeshit

Remove this. Hannibal was black.

Lorima segmentata is the most aesthetic roman armour
Anyone who disagrees sucks cock by choice

I know its been done already but Marcus Aurelius' reign always seems like the best potential for a great Roman kino.

It really is aesthetically pleasing. Which is why almost everything dealing with romans, use it even in wrong eras.