In 1993, Betty Boop was going to have her first feature length movie

It would involve her newly introduced father, Benny Boop (played by Jazz musician Jimmy Rowles) with Betty played by Sue Raney from Saturday Night Live. Despite the storyboard being 90% done, the movie was canceled due to various copyright issues with Betty. The only remains of the movie are some storyboard sketches and an animated song sequence.

youtube.com/watch?v=SjjQhLRbu-w

I feel like the movie only could have existed in the 90s. What does Sup Forums think? Would the movie of done well?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B_jqqJ-77xs
youtube.com/watch?v=wlLHZruDCAA
youtube.com/watch?v=qdDvMaNg06s
youtube.com/watch?v=7sxFyu_U2go
youtube.com/watch?v=3iVwHNRuWFc
youtube.com/watch?v=jnSH0cj-y4c
youtube.com/watch?v=XqoMjraqzIU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZjJRbMIuF5g
youtube.com/watch?v=79tIpX8Tnl0
youtube.com/watch?v=M3_KbMd-xQU
youtube.com/watch?v=4MnR1eaZdv4
youtube.com/watch?v=DTLKKl96qTc
youtube.com/watch?v=gua71Ia7rAU
youtube.com/watch?v=VNttqN1wUMY
youtube.com/watch?v=LYXGxtCDggA
youtube.com/watch?v=IAKnocLqjnQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wjpCaEhBNJU
youtube.com/watch?v=HaZOXF83zBg
fleischerstudios.com/press/betty-boop-to-star-in-new-animated-television-series
johnkstuff.blogspot.co.nz/2009/07/betty-boop-story-ideas.html
fleischerstudios.com/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=eSxzenLlr68
m.youtube.com/watch?v=EeuD6LPRZvM
books.google.co.nz/books?id=m2tZuHaupNgC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=betty boop old man of the mountain american catholics&source=bl&ots=FpLW4BtoMU&sig=5DCKwu1tvy9vyfQwsQpPeIiiaUo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-7Y-Hu8bRAhUiEJoKHQUTAiQQ6AEILjAD#v=onepage&q=betty boop old man of the mountain american catholics&f=false
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The sequence is part of the title sequence, where we see Betty grow up. Through a series of cross-dissolved moments in the first part of this sequence we see Betty performing on stage with her Dad, first as a baby (Baby Boop), then as a ten-year-old. In this last part of the sequence we see her perform the same song she was singing as a little kid, but when the curtain parts she is CLEARLY NOT a little kid any more, and Daddy Boop is concerned, to say the least.

Whoops, Bernadette Peters is the one who would of done Betty's voice. Sue Raney only sang for the storyboard.

>Betty Boop's father
But Betty isn't supposed to had a rude dad who complains about her because she didn't wanted to eat her HASENPFEFFER?

Yeah, that was weird.

What are her best shorts?

All of the Cab Calloway ones.
youtube.com/watch?v=B_jqqJ-77xs
youtube.com/watch?v=wlLHZruDCAA
youtube.com/watch?v=qdDvMaNg06s

>would of

It's would have, or would've.

This. Unless they kept her dad as a heavily accented immigrant, I don't think I would personally have liked the change.

If this was another Cab Calloway-esque dream sequence, I'm sold.

As long is they kept it sexy and surreal it would have been fine.

Not sure I would have been cool with them scrapping the old look over this, but I do enjoy how expressive these are. Real Betty didn't really have much in the way of expressions, when you think about it.

Correct answer. Man, I wish there were more creepy dream sequences like that

Also, for all you old cartoon lovers out there:
youtube.com/watch?v=7sxFyu_U2go

well they are very good but also the most "mainstream" ones.
here more:
youtube.com/watch?v=3iVwHNRuWFc
youtube.com/watch?v=jnSH0cj-y4c
youtube.com/watch?v=XqoMjraqzIU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZjJRbMIuF5g

1993 Betty Boop Movie
>Cancelled
1998 Betty Boop's Misguided Tours animated series
>Cancelled
2000-2001 CGI Betty Boop
>Cancelled
Animal Logic 2016 movie
>Cancelled

When is Betty Boop going to get a break?
I just hope her 2018 animated series actually airs without being cancelled. That would be a nice change.

Here a classic compilations of the early Talkartoons shorts featuring Betty, pretty creepy and surreal:
youtube.com/watch?v=79tIpX8Tnl0
youtube.com/watch?v=4MnR1eaZdv4
youtube.com/watch?v=DTLKKl96qTc
youtube.com/watch?v=gua71Ia7rAU

but this one featuring Bimbo only is probably the creepiest one: youtube.com/watch?v=VNttqN1wUMY

No Mae Questel? No thanks.

I cannot say how much I dig Old Man of the Mountain

I've always imagined, based on that short, that Betty was the daughter of those two immigrants and they didn't approve of her dancing career.

From 1933 onward she didn't. I've never cared for the symmetrical design she's been saddled with the last 80 something years. It's so stiff and lifeless, she looks like a sex doll.

I've always preferred Grim Natwicks original design.

She's also a Flapper, so it probably triggers them more, and Jazz was considered a degenerate music.

The thing about Betty that makes her hard to translate to today is that she was intended for adult audiences.

She was shown in front of movies for grownups and her cartoons were always raunchy for the time. Characters getting drunk, doing drugs etc.

Betty's never really had a personality. She's a sex symbol pure and simple. Her cartoons were burlesque dance sequences that more often than not involved a villain trying to rape her.

How do you translate that into something today and who do you aim it at?

youtube.com/watch?v=LYXGxtCDggA

youtube.com/watch?v=IAKnocLqjnQ

Maybe making a show similar to The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat?
This show is totally on Fleischer surrealism and also countains Soft Lewds.

youtube.com/watch?v=wjpCaEhBNJU

If they wanted to update Betty's look, they should've used the design her creator Grim Natwick was using later in life. He just kept improving her look as went.

Swing, you sinners.

Lol, he stole her heart.

Would've been a bad film. Had no real connection to the original cartoon shorts.

You betrayed me, Simon Cowell.

This looks like a screenshot from a Sierra adventure game. Very '90s indeed.

I love me some Betty Boop.

Anyone know how those Blu Rays are?

She's got an ongoing comic at least?

Man, early cartoons are their own little world. They're so different from the later 1940s' ones.

Yeah, but so far they just keep recycling the same plot over and over again. Plus songs and comics don't work well together.

>her newly introduced father, Benny Boop
>newly introduced
She had a father at the beginning of Minnie the Moocher. He was basically a Jew stereotype.
youtube.com/watch?v=HaZOXF83zBg
1:10

I'm honestly not a fan of the art in those new comics. I think the old one was much better.

This would have been intresting to see

But the way the world is now it'd be hard as hell to make it get past the script

Didn't know this scrapped. For the best honestly. He would've had singing horrible pop schlock.

Give me flapper jazz age Betty or give me nothing at all.

You're right about songs in comics.

The Boop shorts were never about story anyway, they were stream of consciousness animated cartoons set to music.

Will this be good?

fleischerstudios.com/press/betty-boop-to-star-in-new-animated-television-series

That looks like Milton Knights work. The background characters mainly, Betty looks very 'on model' probably at the request of the publisher.

Milton writes great Boop stories. One of the few artists who can write than kind of dialogue. Here's a page from an unrealized project.

What is this from? It looks great!

I'm hopeful

What channels might pick this up?

What do we think of John K's Betty, fellas? I think his stories have the right spirit.
johnkstuff.blogspot.co.nz/2009/07/betty-boop-story-ideas.html

No idea. For some reason I think it will be on Netflix, but that's just me.

Holy shit

This is some crazy coincidence

Actually I have that feeling too. It seems Netflix is where it's at for cartoons now.

Yup, it's Milton Knight! Big fan of his stuff.

How is that a coincidence?

I'm part of ctg amd I'm working on something right now

This'll come in handy, thanks.

Storytime?

Anything with sex beyond maybe the most basic cheesecake in it is going to struggle in the sex-negative 2010s and will make executives run a mile.
We're at least a decade of cultural fightback away from getting anything like Fritz in the public sphere.

It's the Hays Code all over again.

Well actually the lewd on Betty Boop was mostly cheesecakes, legs, dances and panty shots.

The most controversial things were those shorts about that Mustache Guy who tried to rape her, her new boss when she got a new job but this times she actually wanted this and also when she was chased by the Old Man of the mountain (Which had literally impregnate a Hippo mom)

...Fleischer still exists?

What do they do these days?

I love that short.

But Americna catholics didn't. They complained about the sexually aggressive nature of the film and a few years later Betty was toned down, wore longer dresses and was seen around the house more.

They gave her disgustingly cute sidekicks like Pudgy the dog and got rid of Koko and Bimbo.

They also stopped using black music in their films due the perceived connections between blackness and raciness.

Write about themselves mostly
fleischerstudios.com/

>american catholics
WTF
It's protestant puritanism, not catholics, cathos are actually lewd. (France, Italy, Spain, Latin America)

And they never stopped to use Black music, see for yourself: m.youtube.com/watch?v=eSxzenLlr68

They even make a late short with a live action black Guy: m.youtube.com/watch?v=EeuD6LPRZvM

Accordin to this book it was the Catholics.
books.google.co.nz/books?id=m2tZuHaupNgC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=betty boop old man of the mountain american catholics&source=bl&ots=FpLW4BtoMU&sig=5DCKwu1tvy9vyfQwsQpPeIiiaUo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-7Y-Hu8bRAhUiEJoKHQUTAiQQ6AEILjAD#v=onepage&q=betty boop old man of the mountain american catholics&f=false

As for those examples, they use the the more socially acceptable swing music sung by a white lady, not the hot jazz of the black music scene.

And that other example was literally just a stepin fetchit stereotype. Not the same thing as inviting Cab Calloway or Louis Armstrong to perform music for a cartoon at all.