Just finished this film Sup Forums. How Close does it tide to the comic?

Just finished this film Sup Forums. How Close does it tide to the comic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UunqBAHBDo8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

he use magic

Not very. Strange occasionally does martial arts in the comic, but it's not all that he does like in the movie.

Best marvel movie in a long while. Didn't feel as robotic and void of emotions as usual.

Interrupting the fight to give the cape a Three Stooges joke was a mistake.

It was funny at first. I stopped laughing and the scene kept on going. The rest of the theater was quiet and the scene didn't want to die. It felt excesivelly long

The story didn't really derive from any specific comic, but in terms of their depiction of Strange, it was pretty spot on. He's not one for brute force and often does outsmart, trick, or make deals with inter dimensional threats.

Mordo, The Ancient One, Wong, and the Eye of Agomotto were probably the only big changes.

In the comics TAOs death was a
way bigger deal. If i'm not mistaken, Strange had to him to prevent The Ancient One from becoming Shuma Gorath.

The Eye is more of a all powerful relic that is pretty much a OHKO device sometimes. it can do whatever a writer wants. I can freeze people, nullify spells and dark magic, cast out possessing demons and spirits, shoot a beaming light that has great effect against demons and monsters. Etc etc

Yeah, it doesn't take much on smaller details but thematically and in terms of atmosphere it's pretty classic Strange.

something about the movie seemed off to me. it wasnt mystical enough or something. any old doctor strange comics are better.

Yeah. It was maybe a minute and a half by my recollection, but it really did feel very drawn out. The jokes really didn't land at all. And I'm ok with that because they don't need to be jokes at all. The magic was fucking cool.

The cape felt a little bit too "magic carpet"-like to me, but I absolutely loved the fractal effects.

I liked how his ex was still done with him by the end. That's how life is sometimes, you remain friends and wish eachother well, but romantically things between you are dead.

Op here. Just looked some shit up and man was this Dormammu?

If so they literally did a galactus on us again. The fuck man?.

Different audiences. The one I was it had a good sensible chuckle each time it pulled it's shenanigans.

You can make an argument for that, but the thing is movie Dormammu had an actual body that we couldn't see because it was so massive.
I too would have appreciated a more modern look, but the ripples on his face and the colors were probably a tribute to Ditko's wonky Dormammu.
Also there's nothing preventing him from having the form of your pic related when he inserts his cosmic space godliness into a physical body to stroll around earth in future movies

>The Eye

That's typical for comic book logic, however. Just like kryptonite can be made synthetically, it can be made in red, black, pink, gold K will get rid of powers, yadda yadda bs.

For the MCU, they needed another infinity stone/gem, so it makes sense for them to do it this way, but watch everyone else now assume that's what it is and always has been.

Manletman - the magician. I guess you must have been a big fan of that one which is why it feels so long.

>If so they literally did a galactus on us again.
Nah, he had a body, you just couldn't see it most of the time

A bit underwhelming.

Not enough actual magic. Mostly sparkly stuff and fractals. It's fine, but it lacked a bit of...strangeness.

Works fine as an origin story, but I'd like a story where he travels in other worlds and performs actual spells now.
Shame he doesn't pronounce weird magic formulas but I understand why he doesnt.

I don't know why but I really liked this movie even thought a lot of people said it was generic. The simple, streamlined plot worked for me, the emotional scenes were effective (Strange's outburst at Rachel McAdams and TAO and Strange talking on the balcony in particular), special effects were the best one's I've seen in a blockbuster movie in years and I enjoyed the fight scenes. I thought combining kung fu with magic was a pretty good decision since I was afraid they'd go the Harry Potter route of shooting bolts at eachother the entire time. Final battle was enjoyable as fuck with the city rebuilding itself and Dormammu getting outsmarted by Strange.

My only complaint is that the jokes didn't work most of the time. It was pretty apparent that the comedy was a late addition by Dan Harmon and the movie would've worked much better without it. I hope Doctor Strange 2 won't fall into the same trap and hopefully Derrickson will come back as a director. Him and Gunn have made the best looking MCU movies so far and I like that he pushed a lot for the crazy visuals.

>I can freeze people, nullify spells and dark magic, cast out possessing demons and spirits, shoot a beaming light that has great effect against demons and monsters.
Real sorcerer supreme up in this thread fellas!

Just for the record, I really enjoyed the film. One of my favorite Marvel films now, but my big problem is this: Do you think there was too much kung fu? I liked the martial arts, but I feel like there was a lack of actual MAGIC. Idk neither The Ancient One nor Doctor Strange felt like the Sorcerer Supreme. Hoping they add more mysticism and sorcery to the character in Thor:Ragnarok and Doctor Strange 2.

>Do you think there was too much kung fu?
yes.

I was hoping for something kinda like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=UunqBAHBDo8

>I don't know why but I really liked this movie even thought a lot of people said it was generic
because even generic ice cream still tastes good

People throw around generic a lot as if its the end all be all critique of a movie but plenty of really fantastic movies are generic. Fucking Indiana Jones hit all the cliches (no, it's not the Seinfeld effect) with goddamn Nazi villains. It was as generic as you can get, but the execution made it iconic. Every single Pixar film follows the same plot structure, people still love them.

>Every single Pixar film follows the same plot structure, people still love them.
Disney movies do that too. Moana had such a predictable plot I sometimes rolled my eyes or was thinking "can we get to the obligatory scene already?" but it still gave me chills at other moments so all in all it was pretty gud.

>Disney movies do that too.

because they bought Pixar, after their failures with experimental movies.

>If so they literally did a galactus on us again. The fuck man?.

They really didn't. He was just like the comics, sans fire. He even had the weird segmented face. And if you look closely, you can make out his chest and other costume elements in the movie. Its all there, minus the flames.

I loved how they animated the segmented bits. Made him look especially otherworldly.

A great movie.
Not as good as Avengers/AoU/WS/CW, but close enough.

>when bots glitch out
He wasn't even asking that question.

Fractal buildings in movement is like the best part of Harry Potter.
Ripping that off, and then using it for long Wuxia combat scenes was a 10/10 choice

there is no such thing

Mordo got rewritten from traitor that couldn't stand how good Strange was.

Wong was bossing around Strange in the movie, in comics he is his pretty much butler.

TAO in comics is old man from Tibet.

Strange was (necessarily) a rookie version of himself, but he still was Strange.

S'alright. Could've done more, but it covers a period of his life that the comics only did in flashbacks so he's not technically comic Strange quite yet.
If he doesn't rhyme his spells by the third movie I'll be buttflustered.

Biggest change is probably the bit about Kamartaj being this worldwide defense network. All that shit about 3 sanctums and the global shield and the teleporting doorways and slingrings and mystical training amounting to en-masse boot camp, that's all new. Mystics would defend Earth against Dormammu and such but not in nearly so organized a fashion, at best there'd be the occasional wizards convention. The armless Master, for example, is a crazy old hermit in the comics that lives on his own in some Himalayan cave. And the guardians of the NY & China sanctums were both independent chumps who stumbled into magic on their own. The NY Sanctum Santorum itself is just Strange's pad, he bought it for a steal because it was on an Indian burial ground or something so no normie would take it.
Also the whole "Artifacts" thing irks me. There are indeed such things in the comics but they were never compartmentalized under such an simple definition, for such a specific reason. Makes the scope and grandeur of Marvel magic look like Power Rangers IMO. Especially when you incite the name of The Living Tribunal for a fucking staff. fuck that line, still pisses me off on principle.

Give it time user. He was already an experienced Sorcerer in his first comic appearance. We've only seen the tip of the tip of the iceberg.

Are you talking about his appearnace or his characterization?
Because your image is from like 10 years ago, after they'd both been dragged through the mud for decades. The movie was very true to OG 60s Ditko Dormammu, back when he was actually treated as threatening and his main design feature was the stripey face (which the whole Medieval Ghost Rider design totally fucking ditched, might I add).

>a lot of people said it was generic
Your mistake is listening to those "people".
They're mostly the kind who would levy it at any MCU movie on principle.

I worried there would be and was pleasantly surprised. It was mostly used in conjunction with magic which makes sense since gestures & poses is exactly how you're meant to do it.

>and other costume elements
PICS NOW
I DIDN'T NOTICE THIS

It can even unlock doors!