Detective Pikachu Movie May Be Looking At Huge Names To Star

>Though it's been awhile since the Detective Pikachu movie has been in the news, the film is still being developed behind the scenes. With Goosebumps director Rob Letterman helming the project and a screenplay from Nicole Perlman (Guardians of the Galaxy) and Alex Hirsch (Gravity Falls), some very big names are being considered to voice the little yellow Pokemon.

>Hugh Jackman, Mark Wahlberg, Ryan Reynolds, and Dwayne Johnson are all names the studio is considering for the role.

>Production on the movie is currently scheduled to begin in L O N D O N in January, which in theory could be difficult when it comes to some of the action stars being considered. Johnson, for instance, already has several projects lined up that should keep him busy for the next few years--including his upcoming Fast & Furious spinoff with Jason Statham and Black Adam.

>Given that they're looking for someone to voice the role of Pikachu though, it shouldn't be too difficult to get any of the proposed action stars into a studio to record dialogue.

>Detective Pikachu will be based on the Japanese video game Great Detective Pikachu, in which the Pokemon character is a master detective. Imagine Sherlock Holmes but with Pikachu. Unlike the character's primary appearances in Pokemon games, the detective version of Pikachu speaks, which explains why producers are considering actors with such familiar voices.

gamespot.com/articles/detective-pikachu-movie-may-be-looking-at-huge-nambla/1100-6454202

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

omegaunderground.com/2017/10/17/exclusive-two-human-leads-detective-pikachu-revealed-audition-tapes/amp/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hugh Jackman is the only one who should voice. The other three are guaranteed to fuck it up and make it a bro dude movie.

It could be fun like the lego movie. I'm not a big fan of the Pikachu character but I liked Goosebumps, Guardians and Gravity Falls. If they manage to make it somewhat serious while also keeping a fun campy feel, then It can be a success. I hope they don't turn it into fucking boss baby though.

Then again, video game movies are 9/10 pure trash so I'm not holding my breath. It's also Japanese which is going to make it even harder for them to adapt it because western normies can't translate japanese culture. Just look at how badly they fucked up death note.

Frankly I would rather have a detective conan movie or cowboy bepop movie before detective pikachu. Hell if you're doing Nintendo properties, make a fucking Metroid movie. It's Sci-fi and has a female protagonist so you just know they would print movie with it. It's also much more approachable for normie scum.

>No Danny Devito

Well the Pokemon game it's based on doesn't seem all that steeped in Japanese culture to begin with. It looks more like a Pixar movie with an American setting, and the protagonist is named Tim Goodman. I'm actually surprised it hasn't been localized yet because it looks like it was made specifically for a western audience. Plus, Death Note wasn't exactly a big budget Hollywood movie, whereas Detective Pikachu is produced by Legendary so we can look at their versions of Godzilla and Kong for a closer approximation of what to expect. I know not everyone feels the same way but I personally enjoyed both of those and thought they were some of the better American adaptations of Japanese properties out there. I do agree that I would much rather see a Metroid movie, but I'd be surprised if that didn't also happen down the line. I think this will still make a lot of money though because Pokemon's popularity has not faded even after all these years, so I see why they're going with it. I also agree that Hugh Jackman would be the best choice of these four because from what I've seen, he's supposed to be a serious, hard-boiled detective version of Pikachu with a deep voice and a penchant for coffee, and I think the other three are just too light-hearted for a role like that, although maybe Wahlberg could work, but he'd be suboptimal. I also think George Clooney would be a good fit if we're picking from someone not on the list, but who knows if that would happen.

no devito no pirate

This is the worst thing I've ever heard. Why would they do this? Who the fuck is this movie for?

>inb4 they cast a white guy as Ash

You mean Satoshi?

Danny DeVito or fuck off

Ash will not be in this movie.

Doesn't star Ash and takes place in the West. Looks like NYC, San Francisco or London.
Still, sjw's like yourself will bitch about it. Because it's not like the Pokeverse has spread to fictional versions of NY, France, Hawaii and other non-East Asian locations.

>"SJWs like yourself"
>implying someone who could be identified as an "SJW" would willingly choose to browse this site
People who post that stuff here are just shitposting with stuff they found elsewhere on the internet. Everything else you said is true though.

So it'll be Inherent Vice with Pokemon.

>Ryan Reynolds
>Mark Wahlberg
flick

>The Rock
kino

Me.

>tfw no sonichu movie

>Kong
>Japanese property

Michael cera or I eat my own turd

That would be amazing.

I like The Rock but I'm surprised to see the word "kino" associated with him on this board. What does Sup Forums even like with Dwayne in it?

Pain and gain duh

pure kino

Pain and Gain. Also cuz he's a DChad

I got that one mixed up, but you know what I mean.

the pleb pebble
vs
the kino bautista

Danny devito is the only voice I will accept

Unironically going to be kino

Screenshot this

>implying it's not weebs that complain about whitewashing asians characters

it's the only time they agree with SJWs too

Children

>mfw they announce a female VA and John Boyega as his assistant

Of Men.

First off, Danny Rand is American in the comics so if anything changing him to an Asian would have been yellow-washing, which I'm sure Donald Trump is into but I say hats off to Marvel for staying faithful to the comics.

>Video games movies are 9/11 pure trash

What is
mortal kombat
prince of persia
tomb raider
Silent hill

if you ignore all the modernday stuff the assassins creed movie was pretty good.
I wish I could have been in charge of it. I would have had the modern day sequence mirror the past sequence with callum having flashbacks and have it mirror the past sequences and near the end it all comes together. It might rip off too much on subject 5's storyline tho.

>if you ignore all the modernday stuff the assassins creed movie was pretty good.
This describes the AC games too so maybe it's a better adaptation than people give it credit for.

Some possible plot from leaked casting tape
>Tim trying to find out what happened to his missing father Harry (his mother has since passed away) and being forced to bring this gruff-talking Pikachu (which he can only understand) onto this mystery
>It also reveals that Lucy is a junior investigative reporter (with her Pokemon Psyduck) trying to uncover a story of how captured Pokemon are reverting and going wild on their trainers

omegaunderground.com/2017/10/17/exclusive-two-human-leads-detective-pikachu-revealed-audition-tapes/amp/
(the casting video has been removed though)

I thought this was to be a smaller budget project to test the market if people are willing to pay to see a live action Pokemon movie?
Why pay millions for all these big name actors?

But there's barely any modern day in the series now to begin with.

What they had in the first 5 games or so did a decent attempt. It was interesting because it shows that the assassins and templars are still fighting to this day and its something that ties all the games together. It gives a reason for playing the previous games. But they killed off /spoiler the mc in ac3 and just said fuck it on the md story. The reason the modern day sucks is because its all been horribly executed

>my roommate was a frog kid. you ever see a frog kid?

>>implying someone who could be identified as an "SJW" would willingly choose to browse this site
Is this literally your first day? You can even see them on Sup Forums, also Sup Forums, Sup Forums and Sup Forums.

Whoever they cast for Pikachu may end up being the only big name actor so they could cast someone like that while still keeping the budget low.

Danny Devito as Pikachu or bust.

>he seriously thinks those are real SJWs
You have no right to be calling anyone new.