Doctor Who General - /who/

Delicious Arby's edition

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vqb_8DQJthA
youtube.com/watch?v=BqmVlP67ixg
youtu.be/Q7gMA94BjYw
youtube.com/watch?v=N4uycCIEHgA
moviepilot.com/p/bbc-confirms-the-doctor-will-remain-a-male-following-fan-complaints/4250331
bristolpost.co.uk/news/actor-kris-marshall-already-confirmed-78762
mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/new-doctor-who-actor-revealed-10232705
twitter.com/edwardrussell/status/864180644825452544
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>this is real
That's pretty great desu

If you had to write 12's last line what sort of thing would you go for?

What will Capaldi's final words be? And what will Whittaker's first words be?
Either say what you'd like it to be or what you expect it to be like.

>Fuckity-bye!

I want her to complain like she just woke up. That be pretty fun.

the obvious thing is to connect it to twelve's whole 'Good Man' character arc thing, but no matter how hard I try I can't think of a way to do that without it sounding painfully contrived so it's probably best to do something else, unless someone can think of something along those lines that sounds good

"time to go"

i dont want her to acknowledge the gender change AT ALL

i want her to not realise until halfway through the series that shes a woman

His lines in the 'last stand' of The Doctor Falls would've been great.
>Time enough.
>No stars... I hoped there would be stars.
I'm paraphrasing so that might not exactly what was said

"Maybe I was a good man, maybe I wasn't. Who knows what kind of man I'll be now."

"Oh."

kek
The big problem is that he's probably gonna regenerate all alone, companion hallucinations notwithstanding. So any big monologue a la Time of the Doctor would sound fucking dumb. But that's probably for the best, because it's always better to convey ideas succinctly and purposefully imo.
(That's why I think "You might think that's a hell of a long time. Personally, I think that's a hell of a bird" is a better 'speech' than any of the long diatribes the Doctor gives in The Zygon Inversion or all throughout Eleven's run. Not that i think all of those speeches are bad.)

>the obvious thing is to connect it to twelve's whole 'Good Man' character arc thing
I don't think that's needed, considering it was resolved in S8.

I've always liked this idea, 13 not noticing he's in a female form until later on.

Good man seems the obvious choice, but considering the gender change it wouldn't work, and "good person" would feel way too contrived.
I'd rather see him accepting his "death" in grace, going out with "All good things come...to an end."
Then a generation.
Then Whittaker observing the TARDIS interior slowly and commenting on it in some way.
"What's with all the books? Must get rid, must get rid. Chalkboard? I don't have time for this. Ah, no, wait. Different now. I'll have to recruit an academic of sorts. Yes."
>Que hunt for Bradley Walsh

Yeah I pretty much agree. But the ideas from that arc keep showing up in Series 9 and 10. It's not the direction I'd go in, but i can easily imagine a hack writer doing it.

>How many seconds...in eternity?

Fingers crossed Moffat's thought of something fitting

I see jodie's first scene going like this
>regenerates
>acts like normal (so deluded and barely grasping reality)
>oh no we're crashing
>looks down and sees boobs
>realizes she's a girl now
>end credits

Jodie's going to have more time onscreen than that I think, there was a rumor going around that they've built some sort of fall harness both for her and for Capaldi that suggests she's doing something more involved than just showing up and realizing she's got etheric beam locators

I don't necessarily mind her realising she's now female, but for god's sake not through her boobs. I will lose what little faith in Chibnall I have.

What music should 12 regenerate to lads? It's kind of hard to answer because The Doctor Falls absolutely killed it on that front. Awesome bombastic hero sequence as 12 blows up Cybermen while Breaking the Wall swelled in the background, and then a really nice somber piece as he's lying on the ground dying. I'm not sure how TUaT can top that

>there was a rumor going around that they've built some sort of fall harness both for her and for Capaldi
as in capaldi regenerates while freefalling?

If we're lucky then a kino new song, but if it's a reused past song then obligatory:
youtube.com/watch?v=vqb_8DQJthA

I was going to post exactly what said

either fear or
youtube.com/watch?v=BqmVlP67ixg
Breaking the Wall's had its time to shine, it's best it doesn't get overused. It makes sense to go with something more somber for a regeneration scene anyway

*The Doctor moves frantically around console of his Tardis flicking switches, spinning dials and pushing backs buttons as his whole body begins to burn with all too familiar glow of regeneration energy*

"So I guess that's it then ! Tell me Doctor ? What's the prognosis ? Sorry I didn't quite get that ? What was it you said ? Dying ? But I can't die ! Not just yet ! I'm The Doctor ! Can't you just do something ?"

*The Doctor lets out loud scream of anguish as he falls very abruptly on floor of his Tardis. Visibly in distress and in large amount of pain he turns his head. Tears are rolling from his eyes. Lying on the floor of his Tardis and starting at the reflection of himself in Tardis console stand he starts to speak*

" Just tell me Doctor ... How long have I got to live ? "

*BOOM*

*His body begins to rupture from all regeneration energy and then suddenly explodes on screen *

*ENTER JODIE WHITTAKER*

Definitely something related to 12's eternal punching of the wall would get me so happy.

>Much like the shepherd's boy...I chose not to climb the mountain. Not to go around the mountain. I punched through the mountain. I did it without without hope, without witness, without reward.

>Jodie sees her reflection in one of the Tardis screens
>"Personally, I think that's a hell of a bird."

That's the Moffat way though, sure Chibnall will do a better job with Jodie's first words.

>I did it without without hope, without witness, without reward.
this is far too on the nose. TDF works far better without pointing out the poetry explicitly like that

that would be a fucking badass ending for capaldi

youtu.be/Q7gMA94BjYw

>we haven't had a soundtrack release since 2014
fucking hell

JUST

It was a joke, as was Jodie's first line being looking at her reflection and calling herself a hell of a bird.

I am genuinely intrigued about what 12's final and 13's first words will be.

I feel like I'd be less mad if I could just get a solid reason WHY.

Keep in mind that Capaldi's last words are Moffat's last words, so anything Capaldi says will also be a vehicle for Moffat.

Well the last time Moffat thought he was leaving, he ended it with
>And they both lived happily.

as far as I can tell it seems like neither side (marigold and whoever has the rights now) cares enough to contact the other about getting it done

i cant wait to edit capaldis regeneration so that "im the doctor" plays the second jodie is on screen

>Please subscribe to the doctor who youtube channel

Because of a rights problem, at least for Series 9. Someone who isn't the BBC owns the rights, and there's been some issues with the financials.

Let's put it this way--we may get Series 11's soundtrack before Series 9's.

There is no better vehicle for Moffat than giving Capaldi the most kinotastic final lines possible, so that everyone praises his genius.

Whoflix will be way ahead of you

reminder that capaldi accidentally let slip that he regenerates lying down

Remember when Capaldi accidentally confirmed that 13 was definitely going to be a man?

when was that?

What is the best Cheddarfield story and why is it pic related?

youtube.com/watch?v=N4uycCIEHgA
GOAT

When he said "actor" when referring to 13 before the reveal--and tabloids jumped on it as a "accidental confirmation" that the Thirteenth Doctor would be a man.

Also, remember this: moviepilot.com/p/bbc-confirms-the-doctor-will-remain-a-male-following-fan-complaints/4250331

Is a sex changing alien a trap, is that gay?

Asking for a friend.

traps are gay and that's okay

Doctor Whoahh

to be fair, capaldi, moff etc have all referred to jodie as an "actor" after the reveal too, so that's just a case of the tabloids inferring a conclusion out of nothing

Definitely Every Christmas Is Last Christmas.

Which is my point. Be wary of and other "accidental confirmations."

Also, read this article for a laugh: bristolpost.co.uk/news/actor-kris-marshall-already-confirmed-78762

And this: mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/new-doctor-who-actor-revealed-10232705

Actor is a gender neutral word, just like lion and waiter. Any masculine word can be used for either gender, it's like calling a lizard a 'he'.

That sounds really good but I don't like the idea of 12 not accepting his regeneration. Unless all that dialogue before hand is supposed to be humorous then I could totally see it working.

>it's like calling a lizard a 'he'.
you would never say this for a lizard you know to be female. It's only used as the generic default pronoun by microaggressive sexists

I can't tell if you're joking or not and that makes me sad.

treating male as the default is a microaggression

what is your opinion on oreos?

I never got the hype behind this as a regeneration soundtrack. Doesn't really have the gravitas

It's structured ideally (a gradual build up from melancholy to an angelic moment of release), and the fact it's subdued rather than bombastic is the reason it would suit Capaldi's regeneration so well - this isn't some trauma he's just suffered, he's been falling apart on the inside for weeks and literally holding it back because he refuses to take the gentle step of simply letting go.
As an added bonus it's thematically appropriate.

Will it upset you to see people call the Doctor a time lord, because she's technically a time lady and default male descriptions are inherently sexist.

Please stick around for on-season /who/

in world enough and time, bill pointed out the sexism of the term "time lord"

And Bill was incorrect. (Although she was also probably exxagerrating to tease 12.) Time Lord is gender neutral.

except "time lady" is a thing

>microaggression

fuck off

not an argument

They're still going to call her a time lord you know, not just people on the Internet, but the characters, she's probably going to call herself a time lord

All lionesses are lions, but not all lions are lionesses.

>neither kind nor anonymous
what's the point of you?

Don't feed the troll.

As is "actress". But "actor" is still a gender neutral term.

>tells someone to not feed the troll in the same post that they feed the troll
???

I couldn't tell whether that post was serious or troll-y.

Post Shit Trips 2 thoughts.

>post shit trips 2 thoughts

This kills the thread

capaldi should regenerate to something upbeat, rather than sombre, prefferably something with a guitar solo

ty for saving my image friend

Okay then, post possible Shit Trips 2.5 thoughts.

(Wonderful pic, btw).

How do we fix ten's regeneration?

make Waters of Mars his last story

remove the entire tenth doctor

I'd be perfectly happy with just a special new arrangement of A Good Man, but my dream pick would be a Marigold arrangement of Changes.

This is a common but false misconception. People confuse the fact that a separate company can license the use of BBC music including Doctor Who freely now, with the rights holdings of the soundtrack releases themselves. The hold up appears to be the music itself. Marigold hasn't done it. Soundtracks aren't just audio extractions from a series.

Murray Gold is leaving doctor who, the christmas special will be his final episode and will conclude with his most successful track "I'm the Doctor"

Oh. Well then, what's up Marigold? We had a whole hiatus for you to do it!

I unironically think this looks great tbqh

Arby's does this stuff all the time, one time they did one involving Jojo part 7

It's weird right? Apparently Murray had his first kid around the time he'd normally do the (S9) soundtrack, and prioritising baby over soundtrack, I totally get that. But then hiatus year happened. And another year and series happened. It's odd at this point. I understand him toning down his work schedule but a clarification would be really appreciated.

But yeah Silva Screen still handle the releases as normal, they get bombarded with questions about S9 all the time and can only say the same answer, they simply do not have the soundtrack to release. BMG handle the licensing for others to use the Doctor Who (and other BBC show) music now, but Silva Screen still handle the soundtracks...or they would, had they a soundtrack to release!

Marigold's been slow with soundtrack releases before, this is an aberration though.

twitter.com/edwardrussell/status/864180644825452544

>Murray hasn't delivered a soundtrack yet. I'm not sure it's a priority for him.

This sounds like a good idea if you don't think about it for more than five seconds

I'd have rathered this guy as a new Brigadier type instead of boring old Kate.

Wow, this is honestly really frustrating. Yeah, I can understand holding off because of a birth, but it's been almost 2 years now. Hopefully, he gets up off his arse at some point and delivers it. Is he on Twitter? If he is, I'm sure he gets bothered about it constantly.

He has an official account but hasn't really used it since 2012.
It's very frustrating. Even if we do get a joint S9 and S10 soundtrack, it will probably be single disc like the S1-S2 one, and S9 definitely deserved a full soundtrack, hell it deserved two discs. Don't forget the Christmas specials (Husbands, Mysterio, Twice Upon a Time) there'll have been no release for either, they used to sometimes get individual releases separate from the series soundtracks.

Jesus yeah you're right. Both S9 and S10 had wonderful music, especially both finales. If the rumors about him leaving after TUAT are true, and he hasn't delivered the soundtracks before the end of the year, I doubt we'll ever see them.

Yeah I'm expecting the worst. I'll quietly dream of some 4 disc monstrosity with S9, S10 and the 3 christmas specials, but most likely in vain.
If Chibnall keeps him on (which I'm doubting, but is possible), then who knows what will happen.

Is the new DWM on VK yet? I don't see it in the group but am bad at navigating VK

lol I'll quietly dream of individual releases of one for each, including the specials of course.

On that note, all the rumors point towards Chibby restructuring everything from the ground up. Which isn't bad, but it'll sure be interesting.

I wonder how much of it is true and how much might just be "wew we have literally no information on S11, time to speculate wildly". I was leaning towards the latter but the editor's comments in the new DWM:

>New showrunner Chris Chibnall isn’t giving much away about his first series, but on the strength of what little we already know I reckon it has the potential to be a more radical reinvention than Rose in 2005, the TV Movie in 1996 or The Leisure Hive in 1980. Could next year’s Doctor Who be an even bigger surprise than Spearhead from Space must have seemed in 1970? Some people will immediately love what they see, while for others it will take a bit of getting used to.

Have kinda made me rethink that. If he gets rid of Briggs I think that will be just posturing for the sake of it, but getting rid of Marigold and basically the rest of the crew would definitely be a big shakeup (not gonna lie, I'd prefer Marigold and a few others to say, but I get it). New times will be exciting either way.

marigold has been the single unifying thread through all of new who, everything else is basically unrecognizable from 2005 (other than moff being involved)

Exactly, and he uses the same motifs across all the series, it would be so jarring and a shame if in S11/future series the Cybermen suddenly have a new theme, the Daleks have a new theme, etc, or even worse, there are no motifs at all and we get is bland atmospheric stuff.
Oh I'd call Briggs a unifying thread too though!

when i was rewatching and got up to death in heaven, the logo reveal of the cybermen actually caught me by surprise and that would have been SO MUCH worse without the cybermen theme playing

>etheric beam locators
kek, I knew you were going to say that so I went back in time to bribe the contractor to build in a trap door right under your computer chair!