Four bestselling fantasy novels

>four bestselling fantasy novels
>one film made
How in the hell? They were sitting on a goldmine.

Other urls found in this thread:

deadline.com/2016/09/throne-of-glass-books-tv-series-mark-gordon-co-hulu-1201814665/
youtube.com/watch?v=a4NxQLqtoX8&list=PLg_6ZfhDp95ak135VfZigkEQT4EXQOGoh
twitter.com/AnonBabble

saw this in the theater
i liked it

The books are utter garbage. The first one is literally A New Hope.

the plot of the first two books was literally star wars

If Hollywood values one thing, it's originality.

This
there is a info graph somewhere that shows how bad a rip off the books were. I got to the training in the plains with the dragon and said fuck this shitty book.

>there is a info graph somewhere
please find it and post it guy

>How in the hell?
You begin by creating one of the worst big budget movies ever made

>goldmine
But it flopped

Otherwise they would have continued

It was supposed to be the LOTR killer

Found it!

wow you did it you fucking madman
i love it

it's not just the setting, the story is the exact fucking same as a new hope

So you all fucking despise The Force Awakens I take it?

*Ardwen - Arwen
*Isenstar - Isengard
*Mithrim - Mithrim or mithril
*Angrenost - Angrenost
*Morgothal - Morgoth
*Elessari - Elessar
*Furnost - Fornost
*Hadarac Desert - Harad Desert
*Melian - Melian
*Vanilor - Valinor
*Eridor - Eriador
*Imiladris - Imladris
*Undin - Fundin/Udun
*Gil'ead - Gil'Galad
*Ceranthor - Caranthir
*Isidar - Isiludir
*Eragon- Aragorn

fuck off

Do you not?

Despise?
No.
Disappointed?
Oh yeah. All I wanted was the EU to be made into movies. Not all of the books but at least the new Jedi order and Fate of the Jedi arcs.

I loved Eragon when I was a teenager because that's exactly who it is for. Teenagers. Considering it was written by a literal teenager too. The movie was more than disapointing though, even for my 14 year old ass.

A Teen Novel that really needs a movie trilogy tho is pic related.

Probably one of the biggest self insert stories I've ever read.

Anyone got a photo of this guy doing road construction work a few years after the movie?

>tfw black haired Arya never sounded right to me in the books
>mfw alwaysing image new her with red hair
>mfw the casteing choice perfectly matched what was in my head
>mfw red hair Arya will always be canon

Best timeline

Because the books are awful and so was the first film.
t. Someone who enjoyed them when they were 12

How would you even adapt Bartimeus' footnote? They are like half the humour

oh boy, my mom really REALLY is passionate about this movie (for some reason)

and no, she didn't know the existence of Eragon novels, at the time i rented this movie with my father at blockbuster to burn on DVD (we used to do alot of that shit back in time) my mom ended fascinated by this shit.

>Star Wars with dragons

>Eragon
LOL
it's a shitty book series and the movie also sucks

Maybe with freeze frames, or Bart just talking over the scene in general. Many of them are also flashbacks. I don't want to say Family Guy cutaway, but that's kind of what it is

>implying that isn’t as good as a premise the Napoleanic Wars, but with dragons

Age Of Mythology movie would be GOAT

>Christoph Waltz in a mocap suit is Bartimäus

>only movie I’ve ever walked out of the theater
>I was fucking twelve

You know these books were literally written by a 14 year old, right?

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLDIN
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

>swashbuckling movie about a young atlantean Marine Arkantos fighting Theris across the seas

why not? make it a tv show, doesn't need to be big budget at the first season

They were garbage books. I read the first 100 pages of the first book and I had to put it down. It was offensive to even touch it. Immediately after putting it down, I wrote down a list of predictions for the story, looked up the books online, and found that I was right about 95% of the time.

I realized right there and then what those books were. They were the gimmicky wet dream of some publisher who saw a good way to make some quick money. (S)He succeeded and Paolini got all of the flack for it.

Of course, the movie was the same thing. Just studios trying to cash in on the fantasy novel adaptation wave. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were runaway successes, so they went apeshit trying to find that next big thing. Chronicles of Narnia, The Golden Compass, Percy Jackson, and Eragon are all prime examples of their desperation.

Eragon made me into a cynical asshole.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

When I first saw the trailer, I thought it was Dragon Riders optioned and redone for an even younger audience

You forgot Spiderwick
But admit it, they were better than the 2010’s young adult novels that follow the same formula that is reminiscent of Battle Royale.

Or Maze runner and Inkheart

Spiderwick could have been a great Gothic-Fantasy childrens franchise but instead they decided to shove all the books (except for book 4 which got shafted completely) into 1 movie.

>The Golden Compass
I kinda liked it, even going back after a while and rereading the series when I was older, I feel like kept some freshness since it didn't just remix lotr and added a bunch of biblical mithology as well

dude fuck religion lmao

And Lemony Snicket, now that I thought of it.

They weren't better, though. I think Paolini could've become a better writer if he had only used the Eragon books as a starting point or as a way to practice his craft. Unfortunately, people saw dollar signs because it was easy to sell the books as a gimmick (Written by a teenager, for teenagers!!). They were just awful. Terrible dialogue, tired plot, all of the world building had been done by Tolkien 60 years before, cliched characters, etc... It was just awful.

The Eragon books aren't anything special, but I think they'd make interesting movies

just keep them away from the retards who made this one

I mean, they made the badass tall ram-horned Urgals be short bald men who job left and right. What's even weirder is the game featured the even bigger Urgals(Kull) and they looked like the book described them

Also Saphiras Design was retarded. I remember when I was back on the school ground in recess discussing the Trailer for Eragon. My best friend and me were OBSESSED with it for a while. Even back then we realised how fucking bad this movie was gonna be, and looking back now, I think that was the start of me hating trailers.

I read the first book and I watched the movie. They were fine. My point was that nobody made the Golden Compass film because they had a desire to see the book come to life. It was made by a studio that was trying to cash in on the market created by the Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter movies.

Peter Jackson wanted to make the LotR movies for a long time, and the Harry Potter movies felt like somebody actually cared about making a quality movie that people would enjoy. They were the folks in 1848 who had settled in California, built up some communities and just happened to find some gold. All of those other movies were the people who stampeded their way into town in 1849, staking claims wherever they could, just trying to get rich quick.

This trilogy was the shit. I would also go for a The Tales of the Otori adaptation for something darker and edgier.

On the topic of failed adaptations, a proper movie trilogy for His Dark Materials would be pure kino. I don't know why it flopped but I remember the first movie being boring and uninteresting, such a shame.

reminder that there's some YA "game of thrones for girls" shit that hollywood is trying to push

deadline.com/2016/09/throne-of-glass-books-tv-series-mark-gordon-co-hulu-1201814665/

Yeah, I hated the feathered dragon design.

> I remember when I was back on the school ground in recess discussing the Trailer for Eragon. My best friend and me were OBSESSED with it for a while. Even back then we realised how fucking bad this movie was gonna be, and looking back now, I think that was the start of me hating trailers.
Yeah, the trailers were the first sign for me too

>a proper movie trilogy for His Dark Materials would be pure kino.
BBC is working on a TV adaptation

>throne-of-glass

>"game of thrones for girls"
You mean game of thrones?

Oh that reminds me of another botched one: Midnight Circus. Based on the books series "The Saga of Darren Shan" which I loved as a teen. I didn't even know the movie was made and apparently based on Darren Shan until I watched it and thought to myself "hm, that's kind of like Darren Shan" what a waste...

>BBC is working on a TV adaptation
Holy shit you're not joking

>no update since it was announced 3 years ago
Already in development hell I see.

Inside baseball. Nigger. Yes. Nigger. Yes. Nigger.

>tfw no Divine Cities movie trilogy
I'm thankful for that. People would get triggered left and right and it would be botched by horrible CGI.

Paolini's parents owned the publishing house iirc.

Im surprised that the relationship of ersgon with saphira was the one thing they got right which i thought would be the hardest to adapt

except for her magic aging

Holy shit, that looks terrible. Like, fan fiction, Mary Sue terrible

>muh star wars fags
kys kids
would rather watch this with magic and old cities than futuristic boring shiit

Absolutely fabulous books.

The movie had like no effort put into other than for Saphira. I don't really care anyway, I read the books till like the fourth one but stopped because Eragon was an annoying faggot and pissed me off.

>star wars
>best science fiction story
it's high fantasy for kids in space

This Twilight tier shit shouldn't be compared to LOTR.

Was I the only kid that read this shit?

I'm sure there was at least someone other than you who read that

Also main female character's name was Arya

Anyone had these in their country?

They made a kick-ass cartoon out of them, but it never got picked up for movie adaptation sadly.

My bad.

I liked it more than Animorphs desu. Now Remnants, that's the true /unreadapplegatecore/

Book sell in much lower number so comparatively, a best seller is read by way fewer people than a movie that does even relatively well.
The book did well because it was riding the coattails of the LotR movies and was a pretty bad ripoff of everything fantasy, but its target readership was meant to be young enough not to realize it. The movie didn't have this excuse so it was seen for what it really was and bombed, as it should.

if they did it would be Valerian all over again. Even TinTin failed as a big budget movie

How about this series? I always thought it should actually be pretty easy to adapt, seeing as the whole point of it is that most of the "magic" is super practical and commonplace, and mostly has to do with sound and the spoken word anyway.

Seems like it should be pretty cheap to do. A few models of cities for the background, some minor CGI, and some puppets/extras for the demonic beings.

Boom, easy, done. Now you have a relatively cheap adaptation of best-selling fantasy novels well-loved by many people that were written to be adapted into a screenplay. It practically sells itself.

The movie bombed and they didn't think it was worth it to move forward with the franchise.

It doesn't help that the books read like fanfaction written by a 15 year old because the author actually was 15 and his parents mortgaged their house to get his crappy books published.

Euro/francocomics aren't big enough to warrant full adaptations sadly, unless they are picked up by americans or fucking Besson (who lost his mind about 15 years ago and hasn't made anything good since)
Was XIII any good, while we're at it?
>no epic Thorgal movie cycle ever

I always thought Morane having his big hulking american friend sticking around would bolster its chances of interesting a big studio but apparently.

They're novels from the 1960/1970s!

And I don't want to be reminded of Thorgall more than I need to. That shit was depressing.

Some of these books are better left as they are.
>be 12
>find the Northern Lights trilogy laying on some bookshelf in the house
>read it
>turns out to be really interesting, well paced, manage a good balance between action to keep the young reader interested and exploring themes relevent to the targeted reader
>is actually really weird and a welcome change to regular fantasy and other magic stuff
>read it again every now and then
>years later
>big movie adaptation
>Daniel Craig with a beard
>Ian McKellen is a bear

To be honest Bartimäus would probably work well as an anime or animated movie. YOu'll only have to deal with voice acting stars that way, and no bad cgi since the whole movie would be animated anyways

Too be fair most of the genre is like that. That white haired drow guy that has his own books is the staple of how shit it is.

Tintin didn't need a movie in the first place, the cartoon adaptation are as good as it gets
youtube.com/watch?v=a4NxQLqtoX8&list=PLg_6ZfhDp95ak135VfZigkEQT4EXQOGoh

>They're novels from the 1960/1970s!
wew
I only knew about the comics and that Indochine song

Yeah they are pretty great, but i really liked the cgi Movie they made. It's a bummer it did so badly at the box office. I think some high profile Dreamworks movie stole the show in the same week. Madagascar or smth

>shitty fantasy epigone books literally written by a fucking teenager that actually read like they were written by one
>zero originality
>plot 100% star wars, but actually as bad as the D&D movie
>made into an atrocious movie

Yeah, wonder what could have happened.

It had some good stuff for sure. For once it did look pretty good, which was a surprise.
But then the annoying stuff peeked through like all the establishing shots that keep moving and become action shots after a while (pretty clearly a way to show off the 3D but it really annoyed me fro some reason), the cheap retooling of the story to make it about revenge because adventure itself isn't good enough you need a big baddie, and the fucking >crane fight
Still, it's sad we probably won't see part two.

Inkheart was actually on the more decent side.

Honestly nowadays it's so cringy to watch movies that came out when 3D technology was still new. everything jumps or flows into the screen, especially completely uncecesary stuff.

Why are you fags talking about young adult fiction?

They really should make a series of this shit.

I have 'The Blade Itself' but barely got far in it. Should I finish reading it?

I liked these covers a lot more

Yes, it gets extremely entertaining once all the characters get introduced.

Glokta is fucking great

Because its shit

As opposed to capeshit and star wars?

Agreed. We should be discussing anime 2bh

Eragon is set in the Doctor Who Universe, which is hella epic, and Roran is my Husbando so you can all go to hell!

I never read this series, is this kid hack writer THIS lazy? Who published this shit?

His parents