Did Korra kill off the prospect of action cartoons with a storyline for a long time?

Did Korra kill off the prospect of action cartoons with a storyline for a long time?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=UJOjTNuuEVw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, they died because kids don't buy toys anymore.

Fucken toys

Well, in Korra's case they never even bothered to make toys at all. Half because the first show and movie toylines flopped, half because making action figures of a girl character is market suicide.

So are toys the only way to make a profit nowadays?

i can't bother to download a pic of the original series so i'm gonna post it here
i just marathoned the entire first series and I already miss all of them. How could that show be so good? I fell in love with all the characters fuck jet and it was just such a wonderful adventure. Shame about korra

no, demographics did

Merchandising:
>m.youtube.com/watch?v=UJOjTNuuEVw

there are still action cartoon still being made you fucking retard

Well ones that are expensive. We might still get some cheaply made ones.

>What is Netflix

They were dying way before Korra came on the scene.

Action cartoons are expensive to make and a coherent plot makes it difficult to simply air the episodes out of order because any new potential audience will be turned off at having to jump into the plot from the middle.

Studios prefer flash based shows that can be easily syndicated and aired in any particular order because that's almost the only way they can get the attention of these ADD children these days so they can get ad revenue

No, but the profit margin is so immense (and everyone sees Pokemon making a killing from it) that anything that can't be merchandised is killed to make room for something that can.

Remember Green Lantern? Megas XLR? Symbionic Titan? Beware The Batman? Secret Saturdays? Spectacular Spider-Man? Generator Rex?

Remember how long they lasted?

You're right.

I guess OP was talking about action shows with strong acclaim or at least a mostly positive consensus that fit the mold of the kind of long-form storytelling action shows we had in the 90s/00s.

But despite whatever their opinion may be, Voltron, Trollhunters, and the Marvel cartoons still exist.

is Voltron good

The future is streaming because since they're subscription based, they're less reliant on add and merchandise revenue and so you can have less 11 minute short landfills and more quality cartons. Problem with Netflix is that they release everything at once and can take years sometimes before they release the next season.

IMO it's alright. It's vaguely great show-shaped but relies strongly on thinly characterized archetypes and very basic storytelling to do its job. It has potential though.

But you don't have to take my word for it. I'm just somebody on Sup Forums.

That's why it might be better if they switched to the episode a week format.

I just hope Netflix and other streaming services figure out a way to stabilize themselves. They're going all in on original content but don't seem to have any plans for when they eventually overtax themselves and can't expand their subscriber base any further or raise prices while holding onto their current customers.

Yeah, let's go with that.

lets not

Lets

no

Please?

Expensive, high budget cartoons with audiences diverse in age, gender, and race will never make money until Executives realize they can put the characters on t-shirts and make a killing.

like what?

They're already trying to fight back the tide by joining Comcast and combining their services but they're still expanding too fast.

The problem is that most adults don't buy merchandising and that's why cartoons are rarely aimed towards adult consumers. You have to have a seriously iconic brand (Batman, Superman, Spiderman) for it to be viable

Are Korra haters the whiniest people on Sup Forums?

The future is in streaming originals and a shift to creating animated content for adults (that isn't comedy).

I think we're seeing a trend in younger adults who grew up on long form action cartoons and there might be a market there once divorced from the money demands of traditional television. Once animation is more widely accepted for adult audiences, we may see a boom of shows with similar structure to Avatar.

It had nothing to do with Korra, action cartoons died because they require a lot of money and effort, both of which are lacking in 99% of modern animation.

More like

>whiniest person

Korra's massive breasts.

Yes thanks to that lesbian we live in a nu male cartoon era

Korra fans are toxic cancer tho

This

They're not the ones shitting up the board with endless whiny threads years after the show ended.

Face it guys: you're the cancer.

>toxic
Gee, I wonder who posted this.

Stop projecting

Korra's awful treatment by Nickelodeon is a result of action cartoons not selling anymore.

Does that mean all we have is shounen anime now