You are now aware there was a 1978 animated movie version of The Lord of The Rings

You are now aware there was a 1978 animated movie version of The Lord of The Rings

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JAYoLyO5hCs
youtube.com/watch?v=wZpmZyTK2dI&t
youtube.com/watch?v=hWjt6LGhHsI
youtube.com/watch?v=RrzrOyeo5o8
youtube.com/watch?v=5lJJr0lDQiQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9gfdYeiLO64
youtu.be/hWjt6LGhHsI
youtube.com/watch?v=_oBvNFMt9Ic
youtube.com/watch?v=wZpmZyTK2dI
youtu.be/BEm0AjTbsac
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>You are now aware
>now
Underage faggot

Yeah no shit. I have it VHS somewhere and my storage shed.
>that goblin song
Gave me fucking nightmares as a kid.

That's literally mainstream knowledge
My nephew learned about this at school

It's awful, though it's interesting to see which stuff Jackson copied from it

It was pretty good in its own way, that they never made the second half is a shame. Jackson even used scenes from it as inspiration.

Yeah and it's not even complete because they ran out of budget.

Is this the one that's incomplete?

>You are now aware there was a 1978 animated movie version of The Lord of The Rings

You are now aware that it ends right when Gandalf and the riders of Rohan arrive at Helm's Deep and there was never a conclusion.

Peter Jackson's LOTR > Rankin/Bass Hobbit > Bakshi LOTR > Peter Jackson's Hobbit > Rankin/Bass LOTR

I remember when this movie was a meme on Sup Forums

Unironically better than Jacksons lotr desu

anyone got a magnet for either this or the animated the hobbit?

Did they come with one? That would be a cool piece of memorabilia. Then again this was a VHS release.

I saw that in theaters pleb. And it scared the shit outta me.

your age scares the shit out of me

dont you have children to tend to

I've always hated that art-style.

The Hobbit has a fucking sexy ass theme though.
youtube.com/watch?v=JAYoLyO5hCs

Isn't the Balrog like a 5'11" cat?

You child, movies don't open in the same place all at once. Certainly not in the fucking late seventies. I saw that in the late 80s and yeah I might be old enough to be a dad but not your dad you fuck, so keep looking.

>
>You child, movies don't open in the same place all at once. Certainly not in the fucking late seventies. I saw that in the late 80s and yeah I might be old enough to be a dad but not your dad you fuck, so keep looking.

I have some bad news user.

>You are now aware
wtf? Are you 12 or something?

>Now aware

I watched it before i did the Jackson movies

Honestly Boromirs death is way better in this
youtube.com/watch?v=wZpmZyTK2dI&t

youtube.com/watch?v=hWjt6LGhHsI

K I N O

Aside from the fact he's a viking with no pants sure

I fapped to cartoon Galadrial.

>Those rotoscoped uruk-hais

>Those budget orcs

he's asking for a magnet link to use with a torrent client

So it wasn't just kid me that was seriously disturbed by this when I rented this on VHS

>now aware

you really think that a place that prides itself in knowing the most obscure films and is dominated by a "The less normies enjoy it, the better" culture wouldn't know about a film made about one of the most important pieces of fantasy literature in history?

yeah, I guess the budget ran out somewhere in production, because about halfway through they just decide to do the rest in live action. Very surreal to watch as a kid. I didn't get it.

Did you just find out about this?

>he's asking for a magnet link to use with a torrent client

Oh...

hhahahahahahahah
that was gold

I liked it, but the ROTK was better IMHO. Great music, too and no distracting rotoscoping/cartoon mishup.

IF THERES A WHIP *WHIP CRACK* THERES A WAY

can't fucking believe nobody mentioned this kino yet

oh gramps

WE DON'T WANNA GO TO WAR TODAY, BUT THE LORD OF THE LASH SAYS NAY-NAY-NAAAAAAY

>Now.

Bitch, I grew up on the animated Hobbit and LoTR movies

They showed Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings every New Year's day in Sweden during the early 90's. I was scared shitless during this scene as a little kid: youtube.com/watch?v=RrzrOyeo5o8
And when I saw Peter Jackson's LOTR in cinema at the age of 12 I remember that scene specifically.

It also has a kino soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=5lJJr0lDQiQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9gfdYeiLO64

Nigga I watched that shit on the sci-fi channel in 1995.

Lol how old are some of you niggas.

Hobbits were ugly in this

Old enough for kisses

They looked like the kind of backwood bumpkins Tolkien always imagined them as

>Now

Me and my Dad watched that a shit load of times. It's what made us so hyped for the Live action movies.

They make up for it by having Gimli dress properly unlike the Jackson movies.

28. It wasn't really that long ago where you only had like 5 channels and no internet mate. I blame the fact that everything is so readily available now as to why there's almost no modern classics. Just disposable fluff like the MCU

>no distracting rotoscoping/cartoon mishup.
I bet you think Wizards can be better too you massive pleb

ARUMAN

I swear they call him Saruman half the time. Most of the budget went on coke, I'm sure of it

youtu.be/hWjt6LGhHsI

>Peter Jackson's Hobbit > Rankin/Bass LOTR
You are one basic nigger

It's complete shit and shouldn't exist. My mother, who always loved lotr walked out of the theatre back then.

>you must be 18 to post on this board

are you literally 12

get the fuck outta here

>lemmiewinks theme
mind blown

You have no taste

pretty spot-on, actually.

Yeah, John Hurt is the only reason I watched this movie. And he was pretty badly miscast. He sounded too old to play Aragorn, even back then.

Just watch the Rankin-Bass Tolkien movies. They're way less faithful to the source material, but they're far more fun to watch.

And I'm a fan of Ralph Baskhi. But this is easily his most boring film

Thread is 40+ only

i've always known this, and i've also always known that it was ralph bashki rotoscoped trash

I still have it on VHS. Shit was spooky.

>The forces of darkness were driven forever from the face of Middle-Earth by the valiant friends of Frodo.

The last line of the movie takes care of anything that wasn't shown in screen.

The goblin song is from The Return of the King though.

I assumed he meant the song when they were marching on Helms Deep.

t. gidf

Indeed, I own it on VHS

>now aware

i saw this before Jackson's movie

Never saw this, but I had the comic book adaption of this film as a kid.

If you don't already know this, you're underage.

Put Peter Jackon's Hobbit dead last then it's perfect.

the nazgul and orcs in general made an impression. Jackson stole all the best parts. Great soundtrack too.

There is also a 3 part comic that is fucking GOAT. Its probably older than i am, but if you can find it, get it. Its the best rendition you'll ever see of this old tome.

aaaahhhhhh

youtube.com/watch?v=_oBvNFMt9Ic

boromir's death was fucking good too.

youtube.com/watch?v=wZpmZyTK2dI

I don't think they showed Galadriel's feet in that one so it's shit.

I enjoyed An unexpected journey and Desolation of Smaug.

Battle of five armies wasn't good though.

Also, this was a great scene but I haven't read the hobbit so it might be better in the book.

youtu.be/BEm0AjTbsac

I think The Hobbit gets a lot of hate because it isn't nearly as good as LotR.

I'm a millennial and I knew about this, and i'm not even into LotR

Are you a Gen Z, OP?

bakshi is kino

Jackson stole the best three scenes from the Bakshi LotR. Then when Bakshi wanted money for it he gave him the finger.

Dunno. This was half great and half abysmal.

It’s kind of adorable when you teens learn something new. Just FYI the Orson Welles champagne commercial outtakes have been making the round for years and years now.

Rankin/Bass only produced a Return of the King movie. They never did all of LotR.

kek

I hate rotoscoping

it's ugly, it's unfitting, it's lazy, and obvious, and I hate hat hate it

I don’t know why you guys are surprised that 30+ year olds browse Sup Forums. It’s just a message board. I’m 35.

It's funny. When I was a kid, I loved the Rankin and Bass animated film of the Hobbit. I would watch it constantly whenever I could.

Imagine how excited I was when I found out they made a BOOK out of it. These were the actual words that came out of my mouth: "Wait, they made a book out of it?!"

My parents managed to keep a straight face, somehow. In my defense, I was a fucking kid, how was I supposed to know?

Anyway long story short, The Hobbit is better than Lord of the Rings and I will forever be mad over those live action films

Agreed. Most of Bakshi’s stuff is just unwatchable for me. Plus the character designs for LotR were awful.

25, they played the animated lotr and hobbit movies for us in elementary school

Sounds like you were kind of a dumb kid desu. My mom read me The Hobbit well before I saw the animated movie.

Battle of the Five armies had some cool fight scenes, but it felt like I was watching a video game rather than a movie.

fpbp

My fucking sides. This shit is hillarious.
>mfw Boromir's battle cry and the sound of the horn

Why does the witch king sound like Barnacle Boy?

>it's interesting to see which stuff Jackson copied from it
LOL WAT
Jackson made LotR based on books written by JRR Tolkien, you rascally retard.

Wizards is so fucking awesome