Do you prefer characters that are quirky and relatable or those that act as role models for audience members?

Do you prefer characters that are quirky and relatable or those that act as role models for audience members?

A quirky character can do some respectable things and say some profound words, but most of the time it feels shoehorned in and doesn't feel natural
A role model can act quirky sometimes but only messes up or says something out of term rarely while still upholding their image and showing how capable and great they are to the viewers

what are your thoughts?

whichever one elsa is

No difference. Overall plot matters more than the character tropes they contain.

For movies for kids like the ones you're showing, obviously the second. If I have a daughter, I want her to learn from Mulan.

But also see

A woman should just be concerned with finding her own identity and doing that well, regardless of whether or not she has a role in society. I wouldn't necessarily want my daughter to turn out like Mulan or Rapunzel, I'd want her to be what she wants to be.

kill yourself.

Kids decide what they want to be based on what they learn from other people, fictional or real.

Would you want your daughter to be a serial killer because that's what "she wants to be"?

I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. Character development can cause one to become the other.

Really? I'm not sure her Confucian values around filial piety are such a good thing. Rapunzel's liberation from oppression and deception through curiosity and rejection of inherent authority seemed more appealing to me.

i think us quirky people deserve a good role model

I'd say Mulan is more about breaking out of gender-roles and societal castes than Confucian values.

>Do you prefer characters that are quirky and relatable or those that act as role models for audience members?
Neither.

>filial piety
>a bad thing

Besides Mulan used her own independence and identity to further her own goals of caring for her father

>quirky
>relatable
Huh?

Can't really make a blanket statement like that. Different characters suit different stories. Even your image illustrates that point well, both Rapunzel and Mulan are two of my favorites even though they are pretty different.

>you will never have a girl worth fighting for

>quirky
Means unlikable and obnoxious.
>role model
Means boring

So neither.

Confucian values were never really the point of Mulan, that's why there's emphasis on her breaking those rules and saving China

>Quirky
>Relatable
Pick one

Rapunzel, hands down

I just don't want women to act like men like Korra and then label them "progressive" its so toxic

Nu Maleism needs to stop

I fucking hate the modern day quirky girl. Moana acts like she's straight out of a modern day high school setting, it's funny for Maui because he's larger than life, but Moana should be down to Earth. Not acting like a blonde ditz.

"Quirky" is not a quirk, that's why Anna is a shit character but Rapunzel is really good. Rapunzel can be described as a teenager going through the phase in 30 seconds or less. She's overly excited, then fucking terrified, she's so paranoid about her mother finding out she left, but wants to rebel, she wants to run away with a man but then doesn't trust him and wants to show she's independent, she gets mad at her mom for trapping her, but then feels terrible because she was just looking out for her.

She's naive, fascinated, and terrified of the world.

I don't know what the fuck Anna is other than she just comments on random objects in a funny way and says Arrested Developement quotes.

This is out of the question.... rapunzel have very tiny breast

>quirky and relatable
>relatable

She's not relatable. In fact, she's the kind of character who makes girls overact quirky and "special".

They wish they could genuinely be quirky, but they're just annoying. Genuinely quirky weird cute girls are awesome though.

I like them both if the character is good. Mulan didn't really make a big impression on me, maybe because the side characters were so good. Rapunzel is a cutie pie, the perfect mix of the new and the classics.

Both Rapunzel & Mulan are wonderful characters. They're upstanding role models who maintain their individuality throughout their features.

Rapunzel was reasonably awkward. She had limited contact & experience so when she does something she has anticipated for her whole life, she's bound to be a bundle of nerves.

Anna was only awkward because Kristen Bell thought it would be refreshing to have a lolsorandum princess character despite it having no relevance in the actual plot or deeper meaning in the character.

Then put women back in the kitchen so they can be useful again, instead of being a nuisance.

But NOOO, that's sexist.

Is there a cynical princess?

Like to see character development that begins on the opposite spectrum, apathetic with no drive but becomes a better balanced person.

Nick Wilde

Also Megara.
And King Kuzco.

Not user but she can be whoever she wants to be as long as she is not hurting anybody, otherwise user has to step in and help her.

Yes, but she does so in the interest of her sick father in absence of a son.
And honoring your daddy is right on top of the Confucian value stack.

It is a rigid construct that commands a fixed social order and hampers progress by explicitly enforcing a truly patriarchal order where all the decisions are made by the oldest guy around, leading to a rejection of innovations.

Not really. It's a conundrum of conflicting values and she acted in the sense of Confucius, as in the parable of the first ruler of China who (as the deified mythical arbiter of morality) was the object of a hypothetical question to the master. If he were to find his father rightfully accused of murder, would he judge his father to the full extent of the law, violating filial piety, or cover for him, violating the law? The answer was that he would abdicate his throne and flee with his father to save him from punishment, ranking filial piety over the state itself.
You will note that Mulan in the end rejects military rank and honors to return home, ranking her duty to her father over duty to the state and personal ambition.

How did Kuzco had his empire reduced to a kingdom?

I second this

>I don't know what the fuck Anna is

Anna's character is that she's a brain damaged retard.

This is the result of them rewriting the entire script six months before release. Originally her character arc was about forgiving her sister for neglecting her for a decade and letting go of her deep resentment. The quirkiness was more a coverup for her true feelings.

I think those dick sucking lips and fuck me eyes on the right answer which character is better

He really is.

>girl generally acts like a ditzy goofy dumb blonde and runs off with a cliche handsome roguish bad boy in hope of trivial rebellion against parent

>girl generally acts like an adult and runs away to make her daddy proud and save country

I really don't understand your preference

>trivial rebellion against parent
She is held in a literal ivory tower as a captive.
Her rebellion is fundamental. Also a matter of state, given her parents.

She just wanted to pop off to see the lanterns, then come back to Gothel. There was no other motive iirc

>Mulan wasn't quirky and relatable

I think you're trying to sell mulan as a boring character, wich she wasn't.

Yes, but she was also competent and relatively more realistically characterised. Whereas Punzie was more like a tumblrina's escapist wet fantasy.

>"so let me get this straight you want a show that's quirky and relatable but totally on the wall and swarming with magic role models"
>"also you should win political progress by watching!"
>"you women don't know what you want, that's why you're women, because you're stupid"

Mulan was fine, because they emphasized that she was a tomboy, a klutz, and an otherwise shame to the family, to such an extent that you might even argue they kept quiet about her.
>You literally don't remember the entire beginning of Mulan

But yes, just about every Disney movie nowadays has that happy, peppy herione that can do no wrong, that is copy and pasted from one movie to the next.
>Tangled
>Frozen
>Zootopia
>Moana
>Big Hero 6

>There was no other motive iirc

Rapunzel was obsessed with the lanterns because they were meant for her. It's supposed to be a magic thing.

Quirky

You shoulda made a strawpoll.

Moana doesn't act like a high school girl

She does have a sense of societal priorities and tries her best to reconcile it with her worldviews

Tangled and Frozen yes, but Moana is a responsible person from the get go and Judy is a moral optimist.

That's like saying Basil and Mickey are the same character

Judy was a racist though

I second this. Lets get some data gathered up

Can do no wrong?
They are reprimanded, shunned and beaten down constantly.
Elsa almost kills her sister twice and grows up in seclusion. Anna almost marries a guy on a whim and endangers her kingdom by doing so.
Judy starts a fucking race war because she's more of a racist than she realised.
Moana's whole point is that she keeps disobeying and almost dies for her shenanigans, then she later tosses her shit before granny peptalks her back into it.
And Hiro is a guy, not royalty at all, and a gloomy little shit who doesn't deserve a brother that awesome.
Just because your character is sympathetic does not mean they are right.

And the fact that the fucking ocean is instigating her, that punk.

well written fully developed characters

I'd like to see a cynical heroine with the official princess title that tries to uphold the status quo in order to maintain peace, rather than just be rebellious. Or at least have a non-bubbly personality

Alas, a Disney princess must be a role model to little girls first. All of these perky, curious, "I want to break free" Ariel clones are cute, but they are the way they are mostly because children can easily relate to them.

fucking jews. they bastardized Snow Queen enough when they made Gerda/Anna and SQ sisters.

but making Elsa a good guy was over the line.Enjoy your empowered deluded women who think Elsa is a good role model.

Judy had to become the protagonist otherwise audience would kill themselves.

Except with all her little jokes where she's constantly stumbling while trying to look cool, fumbles with her words, getting excited like a little girl over the prosper of adventure. There were times where it was funny that a young girl was trying to act more more mature, defiant, and older than she was, but it was very few and far between in comparison to her act like a "haha what a cute klutz!" character while trying to sail.

Take the exact same joke with Anna putting her feet on the sled and Moana could be substituted in seamlessly with no dialogue change.

/thread

You'll probably get both types of characters, and many more, if you just write what comes naturally to you.

I would rather have a role model character. Not just for the kids but I also find them personally inspiring, I like it when I see values expressed in movies that I would want to incorporate into my own life. Rapunzel is just a childish rebellion fantasy, she's the blonde Merida, there is nothing of importance in her character.

>she's the blonde Merida
More like Merida's the ginger Rapunzel. She came first after all. Not that it matters, since they're all just different shades of Ariel's ketchup red.

Speaking of terrible role models...

I prefer quirky and memorable but since everyone and their mothers imitates them to the point it becomes nauseating I've grown to miss more role model characters.

>mfw going to a social gathering and one of the guests shows off his best Minion voice