Paranatural

They should call me Flopflop cause that's what I am TIMES TWO FOR EMPHASIS

I mean, we all know this comic has been going downhill for a while but I've just hit the point where I've realized it's fuckin terrible.

Not one to criticize the lack of backgrounds but come on, Zack. What about this page took too much time for you to draw at least one background?

Character's initial appearance: Meh

We'll see where it goes from here

Depending on how far "things" can stretch in "I flip things", that has the potential to be a bullshit power.

Depends on whether you could do something like flip an enemy's projectile attack around back at them, or whether it would just flip said projectile but still have it coming at you.

It's always been a weekly comic. Zach just manages to fit an extra page in every month or so

>that has the potential to be a bullshit power.
As does everything

Yeah it'll probably be pretty OP. Your enemy can't even hit you if you keep flipping their attacks.

>I can flip things
>Flip a cardboard box
>Flip a brick
>Flip a small car
>Flip a tree out of the ground
>Flip a building
>Flip a street
>Flip a town
>Flip a city
>Flip a state
>Flip a continental plate
>Flip the earth
>Flip the solar system
>Flip the galaxy
>Flip universal constants
>Flip the pool
>Did you see that? I totaly flipped the bitch

It concerns me that I thought this was a satirical example at first.

Why are there multiple filler panels?
Why is there a whole page dedicated to a singular joke?
Why did he use SO MANY PANELS to express such a joke?
Couldn't you work this in more organically?
IS THERE A BETTER TIME TO DO THIS THAN *NOT* DURING A TICKING CLOCK SCENARIO?

If I flip Mr. Aziz pizzas, Mr. Aziz would flip.

Oh boy, I sure am excited for the next page of this hype narrative.

I can't wait.

God the art looks like fucking dogshit now, It looks like Isabelle is wearing a wig and it's falling off for fucks sake.

...Oh god, why the fuck is her bang BEHIND her head?

>Why are there multiple filler panels?
It's called comedic timing.

>It looks like Isabelle is wearing a wig and it's falling off for fucks sake.
FUCK

What I'm getting out of this is that grandpa is actually VERY abusive to spirits.

I wonder why he keeps
Flipping out
B]

>Comedic timing necessitates eleven fucking panels for a three (arguably four) step joke.

user.
Come the fuck on.
Even accounting for beat panels, this is excessive.

What, like keeping them in training dummies so he can practice on them?

So, basically, Flipflop's power is the Cane of Pacci from Minish Cap.

Real talk: I love Flipflop and I want him around forever. If Paranatural had merch, I'd buy a Flipflop plush in a heartbeat. When I read him, I imagine Justin Roilland voicing him.

Jesus.

The power to flip things sounds like something that can be really fucking awesome if handled properly. Just imagine being able to "flip" shit on a conceptual level. Sounds pretty wild and exciting. Of course, I know not to get too hyped up since Zack will probably drop the ball with this. Still though, im interested in seeing it in action a it more.

>What about this page took too much time for you to draw at least one background?
The dumbass keeps going despite his wrist injury is the main problem
If he doesnt get a good long rest it wont ever fully heal

Zack has promised interesting and smart usage of powers but he promised that like two years ago so.

even though I increasingly analyze this comic with bitterness and cynicism, there was something about flipflop's introduction that I really did not like
I think his exaggerated apologetic nature is just grating
>hurr I owe you a life debt
Or maybe its just grating that this is yet another detour on the hunt for Hijack (whatever his name was). I feel as though it would have flowed so much better if flipflop's powers were introduced on the fly, rather than just MORE and MORE exposition about what he can do.

>wrist injury
aren't you naive

has anyone ever bothered to screencap Sup Forums's increasingly negative reactions to paranatural and sent them to Zack?
Maybe a little feedback would do him good

You could probably flip a fan so quickly that it creates a tornado, or a whirling disc of destruction.

>that has the potential to be a bullshit power.

I just flipped the chirality of all your amino acids.

He said he would rather have Sup Forums not liking the comic, like that's a compliment.

>Flip Will Smith's life
NOW THIS IS A STORY ALL ABOUT HOW

my life got uʍop ǝpısdn pǝuɹnʇ 'pǝddılɟ

To be fair - and there are a few ways to take this - we haven't even seen much power usage since that was said.

Sup Forums circlejerks to its hatred of Paranatural, tis a meme at this point. We still post updates on schedule, still discuss the occasional plot updates, shit just updates so slowly that there's not much else to discuss.

I have faith that somewhere deep inside Zack is the potential for early-Paranatural quality. He did it before, right?

...right?

About 1 in 3 pages is still pretty great but Sup Forums still gets asspained the other 2/3 of the time. There were still plenty of slow or filler-y pages near the start but everyone seems to forget about them, I kind of get the impression that its partially just an overreaction to the stuff Zack said about intentionally pissing off Sup Forums, though there's also some legit criticism too like how there's way too many unresolved plotlines going on at once.
I think part of the problem is due to the whole webcomic format- the boring pages don't stand out so much when you're reading through the archive or with comics that release entire chapters or books at once, but when you're only getting one page at a time it tends to create issues with the pacing of the whole thing.

wow thats so anime

>circlejerk
>meme
lol shut up Zack.

Paranatural hasn't been "Ghostbusters crossed with X-Men XDD" in like two years. It's a 4/10 slice of life and the characters have palette-fog auras.

"Guys really I've written the whole story. I know how it ends."
t. Zack, Chapter 2.

This is why it's important to write a synopsis for yourself. What the fuck happens, why, how is it concluded.

It's painfully obvious you browse twitter and tumblr far too much and it's muddying your creative direction. Get back to magnet snake and that storm powered kid.

I can't tell if this guys reaction is due to being a wacky character or if he has previous trauma from another spectral. Eightfold basically told Isabella "hey, I'm a living thinking thing, but you treat me like a pet more than a person" and I wonder how common that attitude is among spectrals

>all these flipping attacks replys
>no one making a joke about flipping the enemy inside out
step it up

First thing i thought is that this power is basically accelerator.

I can't tell if it's bad writing but a conveniently colored spirit just walking up to you and offering you lifelong services in-between acting as though it was forced to do so looks like some sort of setup.

I can't tell if it's bad writing but a conveniently colored spirit just walking up to you and offering you lifelong services

I'm pretty sure this is the guy living in the Umbrella her grandfather gave her at the beginning of the chapter. Granted that was probably a year ago so I don't blame anyone for forgetting.

Considering Isabella's reaction, I'm thinking it's actually the latter

He made those with literal years worth of thought behind them though. He had been thinking about the comic long before he made it, unlike the new ones.

Basically Grandpa is super cruel to tooled spirits. Fits with both what we've seen with the targets and his furious insistence that spectrals should NOT rely on them.

Grandpa may in fact be the hitler of spirits, we'll see. That would be pretty great

Even when Hitball was going, people would circlejerk the comic and tell "haters" to shut the fuck up. It's gotten bad enough that the people who used to deny criticism have either faded away or turned on the book.

The negative opinion isn't a meme as much as it is the consistent weight of disappointment crushing fans.

oh, you're evil?1 I "flip" you to good!

I fucking love this guy's hat. I want one for myself.

By that garbage logic Sup Forums must enjoy Dumbing of Age and Questionable Content.

You say that, but then a boomerang comes flying at you and you don't know if you should flip or not.

I don't know, I think Paranatural has been doing fine for a while now.
It feels like you guys are going to criticize every single new page, no matter what's in it. Even if the page is good you'll still going to complain with empty criticism, which only means one thing: you no longer enjoy this comic. Why don't you just let it go? It's not like Paranatural is a big thing with a huge fandom that has marked your life or anything. It's a pretty small comic a nerd writes. If you no longer like it just move on, no point on crying over it. This is not Homestuck.

Calling criticisms empty just because you like the comic is the sign of someone who doesn't actually give a fuck about comics as art.

I loved the first two chapters, but there's plenty I can criticize. I liked Dragon Ball, but I can probably point out things I would advise another artist AGAINST doing nearly every chapter. People criticize because it's an exercise in analysis and growth, to better understand what we do and don't like as well as to hopefully improve something that we love.

People are harsh on Zack because they want to continue to love this comic, but he's honestly been degrading in terms of his craft because of several different factors. Shooing off people for making these statements or voicing their dissatisfaction helps nobody and just serves to cause schisms.

>It feels like you guys are going to criticize every single new page, no matter what's in it
Wrong. During Hitball, by the time Suzy was blackmailing Max, people were actually saying Paranatural was great again; we even got art. When good pages appear, people praise it. Hell, people were even praising the page from the other tuesday for being able to dump so much info in such a interesting way.

Do good things, get good comments. That's how things are in Sup Forums.

Do the flips have motion and momentum? It seems more like a magical flip rather than a really fast one. I don't think if you flipped a fan it'd actually turn and make any sort of breeze

The purpose of the ninja is to FLIP out and kill people.

I guess that "ghosting" effect that was complained about last page when he flipped makes sense now since it's his ability.

This. Everybody loved the Ed and Johnny fight even if the art was still crap.

I do agree that the threads immediately got more cynical and bitter after the incident, but I think the major issue is people come to realize how long everything is gonna take. I don't want pages zooming by with plot, but just realizing how longs it's been and how long it will be kinda sucks. The only way I can see Zach pulling this pacing off is if the comic is movie-tier and the story itself only lasts about a week in comic time.
He had filler and joke pages in the past, but that was when we could fully enjoy it and were excited and clueless about the pacing. The plot threads certainly aren't helping. Day one was way shorter than whatever day we're on, which won't end because we keep getting introduced to new things; and because Zach likes jokes each new thing is gonna come with more jokes that make everything even longer. Think of it like a movie full of jokes, that isn't a comedy (Age of Ultron, for instance). Maybe at first you ignore or even enjoy it because it's just part of the movie, but as note and more pile on you realize it's gonna keep going and it isn't as fun. That's what filler pages are like now. Personally, I enjoy every page, and like most of the jokes, but when I realize the page is a second in what will be an hour, it hurts my spirit.

>Do good things, get good comments. That's how things are in Sup Forums.
Are you new? Sup Forums likes yo hate on just about anything. Our only unifier is waifus.
Funny that the pages that received praise had Paranatural's top two waifus- Suzy and Johnny.
Did some people really not get this and think it was lazy motion? It'd even been explained in the thread. His name is even FlipFlip.

underrated post.

I'm not saying all criticism is empty. This comic is worthy of plenty of criticism, I don't deny that. But when there's nothing to complain about in a page, people keep posting "this comic is going downhill! i used to love this comic but lately it does nothing for me!". Maybe it's just one person posting that, who knows.

I really can't remember in what good page people were complaining. There is last tuesday, people were praising it. The one from Friday people were talking shit because it was actually shit (c'mon, just compare with the spirit world from the Black lesbo).

Yeah, I'll admit to that, but I feel like it could have been done better. It wasn't terribly clear.

What are the chances of this being picked up for television? The writing and art direction seems like it's meant for kids/teens to have a fandom for, minus the plot gapping and inconsistency of this webcomic.

What was the last webcomic that became a show?

We Bare Bears?

Paranatural has a long running anime-esque plotline and isn't really episodic enough for western networks.

If it were the first anime-esque cartoon with 30 minute long fight scenes (Dodge ball Arc) could it catch on? A bunch of tweens are into anime so I'm sure people would eat it up. Whether higher ups would condone it is the main factor.

Honestly it'd be one of the better webcomics for a TV adaptation.

>Why are there multiple filler panels
Excuse to copy paste with little changes. Last page like half of the panels were copied.

His flipping is rotating 180 degrees, not mirror imaging a right hand into a left hand.

And panels 3 to 5 are the exact opposite of comic timing. They're "I'm checking my human privilege" guilt and self reflection timing.

this is the single greatest superpower I have ever seen

Invisibility? Because I can't see whatever you're taking about.

can he flip people's gender

You just need to flip the guy throwing it before he does so
I'm talking about OP you retard
the ability to flip shit
Completely and totally broken. Some guy is trying to block your punch? Flip him and punch him in the back of the head. Just standing there like an idiot? Flip him topways.

>empty criticism
How deluded can Zack apologists be? Top KEK
>Why don't you just let it go?
Zack's incompetence ruined what could have been a great thing, so uh, yeah, makes sense everyone hates him for doing that. If Zack didn't ruin it, nobody would be in these threads with their ""empty"" criticisms you goof
>I think Paranatural has been doing fine for a while now.
Forgive the rest of us here for having the slightest smidgen of standards, because clearly you have none

>this comic is going downhill! i used to love this comic but lately it does nothing for me
maybe they post this because its true? a couple pages being decent at best doesn't absolve the comic as a whole?

has there been a single western webcomic that has been adapted into an animated tv series? adapting comics into tv shows seems to be a thing only in japan

i wanna say both we bare bears and star vs were both webcomics, but both heavily retooled, and both like, gag comics iirc

>Blatant anime shout-outs like Jeff's Frieza bag to be removed because the Japanese are really protective of their IPs

>Dr Zarei will not wear a headscarf to avoid a "Christians vs Harry Potter"-like incident

Can he flip a house?

This page is completely irrelevant.

It's establishing spirit oppression which has been foreshadowed since chapter two and became relevant to Isabel's character arc in chapter 4 when she treated Eightfold like crap.

Cartoons already feature women with headscarves, user. You've already lost that culture war.

He means Muslims mad about Dr. Shirk, not people mad about Muslims. Hence the Christian analogy.

CO hasn't been love in a long time. I think we lost our luster about when the ghost train started.

Holy shit, that's 75% more comic then we've had in a long time.

man, i miss mirror frog.
i was really hopping he'd get trapped in something that wasn't a plunger or was cool

I just realized, Flipflop could conceptually flip reality, a la Bleach I-don't-know-his-fucking-name guy.

Imagine enemies having to re-learn right from their left.

Rotating the universe 180 degrees would be indistinguishable from rotating the person you're rotating it around.

Now flipping the earth 180 degrees, that would turn day into night.

Ed and Isabelle went off with the plunger at the end of the chapter.

>I was really hopping
You can't hope for something when it wasn't even established how tools and spirits worked at the time that happened.

That's physically flipping the word.

In the Bleach anime, a character was able to flip reality, ie. you would reach out with your right hand, but you would reach out with your left.

Chinese cartoons aside, it was an interesting power because, while not directly offensive, it would otherwise hinder the combat abilities of anyone it was used against.

>actual backgrounds
I know this is complained about constantly, but holy shit does it improve the look of the comic.

Not Aizen?

I honestly can't tell when this chapter is going to end.

Does Zack even know?

He never knows. Or else he'd stop making chapters twice or three times as long as they need to be. Ghost Train was 2 chapters and this one may be 3 by the end.

Man, I'm looking at this, and what the fuck. It's like a different comic.

How'd he transition into blandness so badly?

I don't know and it's the saddest thing in the world. Paranatural was the best webcomic out there for a time. Full of life and energy. Now it's fucking dead and I seriously doubt Zack can ever get back to where he was.

I think it's Shinji.

She misses eightfold.

Would this comic would be improved if you exchanged panels 8 and 9.