Homestuck

So Sup Forums, who in your opinion was your favorite villain/antagonist? Notice how I didn't say "best?" You can be as subjective as you want, I want all of your shit opinions.

Also, in this poll I'm using the terms "villain" and "antagonist" rather loosely here so forgive me, and some characters appear multiple times because of alternate selves. Get over it.

strawpoll.me/12130768

Karkat

OK, how do you figure? I'm serious curious here.

It's not by much since it's early morning but how the fuck is caliborn winning? i hated his clay puppets and bec noir was the better villain by far.

caliborn is possibly a favorite villain of mine if only for the fact we get to see him more as a character than the other villains.
he has problems and everyone wants him to die. (which is probably why he wants to kill them more than he already does)
if he wasnt so hellbent on killing his sister he'd probably just be a really angry asshole who wants to kill everyone while showing their corpses his shitty artwork.
its more interesting than a xenophobic fish queen who wants to kill her boss and then raise an empire or the furry who wants everything dead.

this a pretty compelling argument user. Caliborn is definitely more of a "character" than most of the other baddies. He and Spades I think.

Basically this. It's hard to like a villain when they don't get any real characterization.

>tricks new readers into believing he is important or a mc
>orders his friends to troll, bully and toy around with the humans
>responsible for Vriska
>created Vriska
>doesn't give a shit that Tavros, Nepeta or Equius are dead
>doomed his own friends to lose their lusus parents, because he got angry at Sollux
>only exists to be Dave's girlfriend
>also never tells them that Jack Noir is dangerous

Prime villain material right there.

Hey can someone explain something to me?

Did anyone actually defeat Lord English? Like in the animation we see Ghost Vriska unleashing the sburb juju thing on him... and that's it. Do we assume he died? Do we assume he got dragged into the black hole with the rest of the dead session? It really triggers my autism that we never see him go down or get meaningfully harmed.

The sprite boss fight was kinda cool though. Loved the suspenders.

The fact that you need to mention other villains to make Karkat a villain by proxy just highlights how shitty is your reasoning.

That just makes him a shitty person/character.

You'll get people telling you that all the clues are there or whatever but yeah, that shit is unresolved whether it's purposeful or not.

>ghost Vriska
Man, you remind me how Act 7 Vriska has shitty edited eyes and that it was supposed to be Ghost Vriska who leads the army.

Which is fucking hilarious if this speculation came true:
>originally, Karkat was supposed to die in Act 5, but his popularity prevented it, thus rendering his ancestor destiny to irrelevance
>he uses ghost Vriska for the ghost army instead
>subverts himself and lazily adds some eyes, because he was disappointed at ghost vriska's development

So when does Hiveswap come out?

Seems like a bit of a stretch to me. The only evidence we have of Hussie's original vision is what appears in Act 7, because it was storyboarded years in advance.

I'm so used to meta and postmodernism that at this point I feel like the most subversive story is one that is presented entirely genuinely

seems like there's a pendulum effect in art that swings between irony and sincerity with a period of about one generation

>No clear answer to the Lord English question

I expected nothing and I was still disappointed

me: I have imagined and emotionally prepared for every possible ending. You cannot disappoint me.
hussie: Ah, but are you prepared for NO ENDING?
me: ...oh

Welcome to 10 months ago. At least the backlash was a great spectacle.

No, he won and drew the ending.

boy howdy

My favorite is $heby since she does the best job at infuriating me to no end.

>created Vriska
We should fucking lynch him!

>these fucking ancient religious charts of the universe get posted in every homestuck thread
>some even try to showhorn classpects into them, assuming it works somehow
>people actually think Hussie was that deep
why

I'd say the gnostic references and symbolism in Homestuck are overt enough that they are probably intentional

But ultimately they're just there for the sake of being references. Basically a stylistic choice, like the Christian symbolism in Evangelion.

>Well played Master Huss... Well played
>clevergirl.jpg

F8CK 8FF

Is this cropped?

no, it's slunk's art, it's pixel

So no Hiveswap today?
It might as well never release. The world will be better off.

>expecting Hiveswap ever

being delayed another month at the last second can't be a good sign

heh

Remember when Hussie's GF threw a fit over this picture?

Source? A delay is very likely at this point because there isn't much of January left and the game never had a more specific release date than this month, but you can't just pull things out your ass.

Reminder to pirate Hiveswap if you want to play it because the game bombing and part 2 never being funded is perhaps the only way Hussie can be made to understand that he completely fucked up with Homestuck. Don't forget how much he hurt you, don't forget the lies and radio silence. Get some of your own back by denying him more money to waste.

I don't remember her NOT throwing a fit over literally EVERYTHING.

a drop in the ocean, user

Who exactly caused this to be approved on Greenlight? I have no concept of an audience for this game outside of the few dozen people on the subreddit who deluded themselves into thinking that misguided little rebel Hussie handed the reigns to on a whim is at all funny or worthwhile.

backers who were sated by other things (SU, GF, etc.) to keep them from becoming furious with Hussie during his massive ineptitude. That way, when they get a random eamil out of the blue about the game on greenlight, they go "oh yeah, I backed that" and just click without thinking.

The flavor of the month curse is strong with these people.

Most people don't know that Hussie isn't writing it actually. Funni Twitterman isn't too well known.
Homestuck is still popular, it became the #1 greenlight game in a day, and valve passes things on greenlight based on the number of hits and attention, whether it's negative or not.

I can't blame them, they're going to be hit hardest by the realization that a completely different person wrote the entirety of the game than who they expected to be doing it. That's only the worst thing about Hiveswap. It's just Some Guy's fanfiction. 2.5 million dollars burned on a Paradox Space story.

I don't want to buy a video game written by the man who wrote the last 20% of Homestuck.

I don't want to buy a video game written by the man who wrote the non-credits snapchats, either.

I wouldn't want to buy a video game written by a man who clearly can't write good.

I have a hard time considering Caliborn a villain

Is Davekat the Sherlock/Watson of Homestuck?

neither are the main character

Yeah they are.

Let's not kid ourselves, near the end they were. And Karkat was always the troll main character

He doesn't really do anything villainous until he becomes Lord English, and LE was the worst villain in the comic (aside from Hussie). All Caliborn did was verbally harass various teenagers over the Internet, destroy a mental parasite that would have eroded his consciousness away if he hadn't taken preemptive action, and win the hardest setting of a video game while making art.

not really

Has any other content creator ever wasted as much potential as Andrew Fauntleroy Hussie?

hussie is too far up his own ass to write actually good villains

the ones that came the closest to being good were killed off or forgotten about in the story.

George lucas?

George Lucas

Scratch was a good villain and he got to accomplish all of his goals -and- escape the pen of a declining author by dying before the decay set in.

Jack Noir was a good villain who was not so lucky.

Jade's heaving breasticles?

>john left out again

But in all seriousness, is this shit with John clearly wanting to kill himself and Caliborn taunting him into attacking him supposed to lead somewhere?

I don't want to buy anything from a group of people who can't handle money, business, ethics, and artistic integrity.

John got too nervous because of his sister's large breasts.

He's probably just on the other side of the table

john has never been nervous in the presence of boobs. And dave and rose are demonstrably worse about them

go somewhere else

it leads to "shit I still have to connect these two plot points, and I can't think of a way to do it without making the characters act retarded... well john is kind of retarded so I'll just make him do it"

Yeah but it's different when it's your sister's boobs.

>well john is kind of retarded
>kind of

Flustered Dave is a good Dave.

>not: Consider THESE coconuts

>Lord English is a time-traveling crime boss pirate pimp pharaoh crocodile snake angel with flashing pool ball eyes and a skull for a head
>the coolest character design Hussie ever dreamed up
>with plenty to do engineered into his concept
>he destroys two universes simply by being brought into one
>he guides the evolution and engineers the entire history of a race of aliens
>he personally hunts down and murders the author of the comic he's in

>all he ends up doing after this is silently flying around the endless afterlife, zapping ghosts to double-death so he can kill someone he already killed for a second time
>his rivalry and games with Slick had nothing to do with him in the end

Well I mean, it's not like Jade would be able to find a bra lying around

Hussie wasting potential?
No. Shocking. How could he?

None really had a connection with the protagonists needed to be a really interesting antagonist. Everyone was so remote from each other and by the time shit really went down the protagonists were so fucking cardboard I didn't even care.

For fuck's sake Betty Crocker actually being a massive threat to reality was built up for the entire comic and then John didn't care. That's not subversion, that's just lazy.

I think my least favorite missed bit of potential was John having a Jack Noir plushie and how that ended up just being a troll trick instead of a sign that the two were fated enemies, and how the rest of the Midnight Crew didn't develop any sort of rivalry with the other kids besides Droog/the Diplomat and Dave.

I honestly don't give a fuck about the Felt or English and their time bullshit because its maximum up his ass Hussie. The Crew being Derseite agents who want to break the game like the kids play with is at least a hook I can get behind.

She doesn't invite her brother to dinner? :(

everyone but caliborn forgot about john

He's on the other side of the table.

Would you really want your brother there while you fuck his best friend on the dinner table?

>But ultimately they're just there for the sake of being references.
I think it's at least a little deeper than that. The comic's main bad guy is a seemingly all-powerful evil being who created their "world" but is small-minded and focused on simple things like power and destruction; he was presented with the same opportunity towards connecting with the cosmos, but ignored the chance at enlightenment in favor of being more of what he already is. The heroes, on the other hand, saw things from a broader perspective, understood the true purpose of the game and their place in theu niverse, and managed to find happiness because of it.

It's a fair parallel with Gnosticism, with Caliborn as the demiurge and the heroes reaching a better world because they see the truth which he ignores.

John and Jade are weirdly close like that.

Besides someone has to distract Rose from being a creeper while Jade's trying to get off.

The best embodiment of the concept of the demiurge in Homestuck isn't a character from it, but rather, its very author.

How else do you demonstrate dominance?

You can't stop Rose from being a creeper, it's etched on her very soul.

rose would be focusing on dave
just watching him out of the corner of his vision with an eyebrow cocked and a slight smile on her face

Maximum funny is all the kids being creepy in their own way. John asking unsubtle questions about how safe everyone's being and looking up terms and shit, "Guys are you using safe words?", Rose taking copious notes for purely professional interests and occasionally in the passive aggressive hope that some burly person will make her stop ruining the others's fun, Dave just giving everyone shit and taking the occasional picture for harassment purposes and because he's secretly sentimental, and Jade turning the whole damn thing into a sharing circle. "john show me on the stuffed animal what you're doing you're probably fucking it up okay???"

I mean when you are the last fourish people on earth privacy goes out the window anyway.

Dave clearly seems pretty flustered in that picture.

Yeah, Jade has the creeper's gambit. She'll get hers. It'll be humiliating, spending time with someone she likes. Like a FOOL.

God I know, how embarassing to be around Jade and her massive, soft breasts.

Rose's nipples seem to be trying to escape

The more pressing concern is why is John's shirt perfectly form fitting to Rose's body. I never considered him to be built like a fuc boi.

She shank it in the wash for sexy morning wearing purposes.

No one outdoes Rose Lalonde at smug post coital bragging. No one.

It's not actually John's shirt, she has a shirt specifically John-branded for these occasions.

Where did she get a shirt with John's personal symbol on it?

They're gods, you can probably buy tons of stuff with their symbols, along with cringy, trying-to-be-modern sayings about why it's totes okay to be all worshipping Dave and stuff, or soap Jake on a rope.