This show really needs to pick a genre and try sticking with it...

This show really needs to pick a genre and try sticking with it. I don't think trying to be a jack of all is working out for them.
>Slice of life but with world-at-stake plots
>Episodic but wants to have character developing arcs
>Light hearted silly cartoon comedy that can break the fourth wall but then crying and drama at the turn of a heel
>Musical but with lackluster songs
>Action and adventure but with really dry fight scenes

And then worst of all, trying to do all of this in an 11-minute format.

Other urls found in this thread:

sug.rocks/dl.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It started off as more tongue-in-cheek with naturalistic dialogue. Anything related to the so-called "plot" by the fanboys was developed in the background mostly from implications or throwaway lines. A dry sense of humor was prevalent, much like in Adventure Time. Nothing was forced, shit just happened. This tone was good and it is what made the show take on the reputation for "lore" because despite the cartoon being about a little boy having fun and coming of age, there was a perception of something dark happening behind the scenes. It was thematically appropriate too, because the show takes place from the perspective of a young boy who doesn't understand the bizarre implications of his strange life, and it served to reinforce a number of other things in the show, such as the reverse escapism theme in the Rose/Greg + Steven/Connie relationships.

All that has been thrown in the dumpster so forget everything I just said. They took all the stuff happening in the background and thrust it into the foreground starting around the time Friend Ship came out. Every episode consists of highly scripted and artificial by-the-numbers sitcom conflicts resolved in consistently predictable ways full of uninspired attempts at jokes. The art has taken a real shit too.

I am not familiar with the creative team that is behind the show, other than hearing a rumor that the storyboard artists also write the show, so I don't know if there were any major team lineup changes, but this change in quality is definitely indicative of some major players leaving or being fired or being tied up in a closet by idiot marketing executives.

I think the heavier eps can still have merit. And I don't really mind slice-of-life when it's connected back to the gems and their everyday interactions.

But a lot of the townsfolk still haven't really grown as characters from day one, and the pacing of the rest of the conflict and character development has to take a break every few episodes for them. Which is roughly three to six months with the way the release schedule has been going. I'd rather see the new group dynamic go on a few mission/adventures again then see what's happening back in Beach City.

A lot of the songs are great in my opinion. Leagues better than the drivel in adventure time that's for sure.

Nobody important left the show at the time of Friend Ship so maybe you just didn't like the directon they took the show.

Also you're wrong. This isn't adventure time where there were hints of maybe something in the background that may never come to fruition. They were pretty clear that the crystal gems were rebels from a war against Homeworld much earlier than that.

Question do you guys think it would be better if there was no real threat like homeworld and that everything that could pose a serious threat was basically dealt with?
Like it was just about Steven learning about his heritage and the like and what the fuck happend to the gem civilization?
The only threat that there would be are some of the corrupted gems and maybe some rouge gem tech that needs to be dealt with so that it doesn't cause much trouble.

The show would not be "better", but I do think it would be stronger if it found which audience it wants to go for. Right now, the fanbase is pretty split between those who want the Season 1 days of Monster of the Week + Townies and those who want later season Deep Lore Arc Stories.

Since it has both, someone is ALWAYS getting pissed off at the new episode, it just depends on which group. It should either have been one or the other, or otherwise follow Wander's format where season 1 is the way it is but then it changes direction and does not go back. That means Townie episodes should be ditched if they want to do the space travelling, fighting diamonds, restoring corrupted gems, and recruiting new Crystal Gems bits.

>This show really needs to pick a genre and try sticking with it.
No, it doesn't.

>I don't think trying to be a jack of all is working out for them.
Yes, it is.

I think it would be better if the threat wasnt so fucking big as an advance civilization with tech thats really just magic and spams billions or maybe trillions of people vs 4 retards+ whatever scraps they can muster for themselves through friendship. It would also help if they didnt made them so evil or unninterested in anything that isnt themselves.

Becouse, you and everyone here knows that by the themes of the show that this is going to end in a talk about love and that all life is sacred and shit, which is dumb as fuck, it would be like convincing the nazis in WW2 that all races are as good as the arian and that jews shouldnt be gased, its not gonna happen.

I still wish we could get an episode where the CGs along with Peridot and Lapis go on a mission together. We still haven't really seen how they work together, and I think it would make for a really interesting episode.

Numerous animes and books are able to do this.

Just wish that more townie episodes used monsters or gem tech.

>Those designs
Rebecca's style is ugly.

Its also very easy to fuck up by people without talent or with little experience, also 20 minute episodes and many 2 parters.

I think it depends on what they actually do with the diamonds. I feel like there's potential for more interesting development with intelligent antagonists and an overarching conflict, but I think they need to feel like a more substantial threat than Jasper and Malachite turned out to be.

A WWII Christmas Truce style episode would be pretty neat, though.

I agree with this so much.

I wish they didn't send them off to live in a barn either. Townie episodes are enjoyable but give me a bit of blueballs because I like the long lore storyline arcs more. Imagine if we saw Peridot and Lapis interact with the townies and adjust to life at Beach City? It would have actually felt like everything was connected more, right?

I want to know how Connie feels about Steven fusing with Amythst too, or just a little more Connie. She seems kind of seperated from everything right now too.

Is that a female Greg?...

she is hot.

This show really needs to pick a genre and try sticking with it. I don't think trying to be a jack of all is working out for them.
>Slice of life but with world-at-stake plots
>Episodic but wants to have character developing arcs
>Light hearted silly cartoon comedy that can break the fourth wall but then crying and drama at the turn of a heel
>Musical but with lackluster songs
>Action and adventure but with really dry fight scenes

And then worst of all, trying to do all of this in a 22-minute format.

The Townie episodes are important because the help define what it is exactly that the Gems and particularly Steven love about earth that they feel is worth protecting. The townie episodes are important because the illustrate precisely what Steven values about Earth and his personal connection to every person in Beach City, if you abandon them to make way for space-monster fights every week, then Steven is only protecting the Earth on its own merit, which I can maybe see working, but it makes the show a much weaker Good V. Evil story than something Steven actually has a personal stake in on both side via his connection to Rose and his very personal connection with every citizen of Beach City.

It's important for the show to be both because STEVEN is both a human and a gem, and no matter what aspect of the show you personally find most interesting, the show is STEVEN UNIVERSE.

No one here is a giant weeb, we don't know what show you're talking about.

The problem is when monster and alien-based episodes give us consequences that can get as high as "end of the world", it's hard to care about the climaxes of certain episodes that ramp up to, "Steven embarrassed because of a T-Shirt" or "Stevonnie really wants to beat Kevin in a car race". Like, how have these petty problems just not become irrelevant in Steven's mind after some of the things he's faced?

It's like a tv show about a kid who lives in a war-torn country where his house gets bombed one episode and in another episode, he's worried about making sure he studies for a test on time. I can't bring myself to give a shit about these petty problems when there are real problems out there, brewing.

I just don't know how they can treat Steven's concern for dancing with Sadie on equal terms of him expecting Yellow Diamond to be arriving any second now (This was prior to newest bomb). If I found out all the bubbled gems the Crystals have been keeping were corrupted gems and not just generic monsters, I would be way too distracted in being obsessed with wanting to fix them rather than giving two shits about making sure Lars has friends.

That's fair, but I feel like a lot of the townsfolk are still pretty one-note compared to the gems. Lars keeps regressing back into being a dick. The Mayor's just kind of a standard goof politician. Ronaldo's a clinically insane nerd. etc.

>It's like a tv show about a kid who lives in a war-torn country where his house gets bombed one episode and in another episode, he's worried about making sure he studies for a test on time.

But that can work. Like, look at MASH. That's about some doctors in a war whose job it is to sew back together mutilated bodies to save people, but it's mostly a light hearted comedy where the stakes revolve around plots like "will this character get to fuck the hot nurse?"

>trying to do all of this in an 11-minute format.

Stop trying to use this as an excuse. It's possible if you're writers aren't shit.

This answer goes for both posts: "It's possible, but SU didn't achieve it".

The one instance where the literal end of the world was nigh, the gems responded pretty appropriately by abandoning the search for Jasper and retreating to the barn to build the drill for a fairly uninterupted string of episodes. There were little one offs, like celebrating Steven's birthday and maybe others I'm forgetting, but Steven's a kid and forcing him to work nonstop for the preservation of Earth wouldn't be good gaurdianship. During this period, the implication is that when Steven's not around and the Gems aren't with him, the Gems are getting work done on the drill and I think that's fair. Steve's a kid at the end of the day, even with his extraordinary circumstances he should be permitted to have a childhood.

Any other instances of the characters being in implicitly impending peril, the characters have acknowledged their inability to do anything about it until something actually happens, and the show has demonstrated that the Gems hide their own levels of stress and anxiety re: these situations for the sake of allowing Steven to have as normal a human upbringing as is possible. Not to mention the show has dealt with Steven considering cutting off the humans in his life because of the danger implicit in his destiny and has concluded this is a bad dehumanizing course of action for him.

Now all this might just be a way for the show to have it's cake and eat it to, but don't act like there's not a narrative logic for it.

I think the show's biggest problem was Jailbreak. It kind of raised the stakes faster than the show was willing to commit to. They should have just ended season 1 with a Peridot confrontation, and saved Jasper and Lapis until the beginning of 2b.

Sorta, someone here is trying to create a copyright friendly reimagining of the series.

It could be satire since it seems to be designed to address the faults in the series.

It also promotes rape

Yeah! It's great, isn't it?

The show is self aware enough that it would be a bit redundant.

Remember when Suger said this show wasn't going to have villains?

No. I don't. As a matter of fact, I don't think she ever said that. I was just things people repeated without checking.

It is still fixing flaws.

She did, but it's often quoted out of context. She was talking about how there was no singular enemy that they were trying to defeat, then prattled on about how their real enemy is social norms or something.

>But a lot of the townsfolk still haven't really grown as characters from day one
they are NPCs and won't grow.

>then prattled on about how their real enemy is social norms or something.
Nope, she didn't even said that.

Ten years ago that post would have been hilarious.

I thinks it's a problem with Steven Universe being a passion project from sucrose. She's trying to put everything she likes into one show.
Sort of the opposite of a too many cooks problem.

I have a hard time seeing us getting many more townie episodes, given this show is probably ending on season 5, and we still have so much we need to see. We have like 36 episodes left

Umm, she did.
Indeed, but I noticed that it seems to be backfiring on that whole premise.
I feel that without a root to the danger, a story just collapses upon its self.

>Now gentleman, on to the more important subject...Lars mum.

I get the feeling that the creator never actually wanted to do action/adventure stuff, but just wanted to do emotional and silly slice of life stuff with alienesque designs.

The action "lore" elements are just to make the show more appealing for children (and manchildren).

>I get the feeling that the creator never actually wanted to do action/adventure stuff, but just wanted to do emotional and silly slice of life stuff with alienesque designs

So like Clarence but less funny?

this.

Compelling argument that you had to samefag to get people to pay attention to it.

>Umm, she did.
I am still waiting for a source. I think the exact quote has been misquoted to meant something she didn't.

>I get the feeling that the creator never actually wanted to do action/adventure stuff, but just wanted to do emotional and silly slice of life stuff with alienesque designs.
Well that interpretation doesn't make sense. It's clear thatt he action and adventure waspart of the ride. Even season 1 is full of monster hunt. And the final result in an huge fight. a giant ship carshing on the temple. And Season 1, from the start,was only meant as an introduction tot he actual meat of the show.

Action/adventure has always been part of the story.

It's very enjoyable as it is. Abandoning one of the aspect would deter the show more than actually improve it.

Simply stating your opinion without reason still does not make an argument.

>The show is not very enjoyable as it is. It should abandon one of the aspects as it deters the show from it's primary goal and prevents its storytelling from improving.

Its not uncommon for a creator to compromise on what they want initially, but then change things later on after their work becomes successful.

I know this isn't the best example, but its like how Aqua Teen Hunger Force was initially a comedic detective show where the characters dealt with monsters. But then became a random stoner comedy when the show was established as a success.

>Its not uncommon for a creator to compromise on what they want initially, but then change things later on after their work becomes successful.
Yeah, but Sugar has clear creation control. She is doing the show she want.

>Simply stating your opinion without reason still does not make an argument.
Except OP's statement was also an opinion in the first place.

Why should it require argument to disagree with him, then?

>But a lot of the townsfolk still haven't really grown as characters from day one

I think this is what pisses people off the most about townie shit. If you're going to devote so many fucking episodes to motherfucking Lars, HAVE THAT PIECE OF SHIT LEARN SOMETHING. How many episodes do we have to waste watching him continue to be a piece of shit when there are so many more interesting goddamn things we could be seeing?

I'll admit I wouldn't have minded the episodes that focus on those characters as much if those characters were actually interesting and funny and dynamic.

>Steven Universe should be more formulaic and follow a consistent story structure.
Yeah, Nah, You're a cunt. Go watch the RS finale for the third time today or something better done with your time.

No it's not. OP lists why ___ doesn't work because ___ contradicts it. If you want to argue why it does work:
have done so.

Or you can just be like who goes into one of the few threads that actually has decent posts and not just shitposting and waifufagging and feel the need to crap it up anyway.

Only quoting for attention

Can anyone give me a MEGA link for all the seasons and episodes?

I lost my bookmark

I will agree that the townie episodes haven't been handled as well as they could have up to this point. I feel like involving the Gems more directly in the townie antics would help to avoid how jarring the switch between the two is

>...and not just shitposting and waifufagging and feel the need to crap it up anyway.

Not to be a dick to steven universe fans but the SU general really is just shitpostting and waifufagging, even when a new episode leaks its the same, a buch of post of "where the freaks at?" or "poil"or maybe just nothing with a pic of whatever gem they want to fuck, ironicaly its the hatedom that ends up talking about the show in any serious light, i think it might be something like the my life as a teenage robot fandom where they just want to fuck the robot, or in this case, the gems, but no really talk about the show or whatever problems it might have.

/sug/ is often in /trash/ for that very reason, though. Every other thread on Sup Forums, even ones that just go "Why is Sugar so ugly" are a thousand times better than /sug/, no one is debating that.

Here you go, it's the best one I could find.

>sug.rocks/dl.html

You can say the same thing about other generals, including those outside of Sup Forums.

I appreciate you doing your best, thank you

Yes.

People DO say that about other generals. It's why they're in trash.

Expect for /tlhg/, that stays in /trash/ even when new episodes are airing.

I just wanted to tell the OP that a show should not bend to what some faggot's standards and tastes just because they don't like it. I thought I was pretty clear in my opinion in I can careless if you think I was just shit posting.

This desu

Day threads tend to be terrible for discussion. I mean last night in the worst mom thread I actually had a good talk about the three gems as moms with some anons. No one shit posted. No one cursed. It was quite civil.

>I just wanted to tell OP he's a faggot with faggot standards and a show doesn't need to cater to faggots
>I don't know why you would think that's shit posting

Don't need to keep samefagging your own opinion.

Yeah, i know, but it also makes it seem like the fandom, at least on Sup Forums, is holded by a string, a string made of memes and waifus.

For example i have yet to see someone unironicaly praising townie episodes without also being a response to another fucker saying they're shit, real discution only starts when someone tries to bait people for (you)s. The best i have seen so far that wasnt a reply to bait was something along the lines of "well, at least it wasnt painfull".

Seconded. I thought Lars was fine at first, but he kind of embodies the status quo jerk who never really seems to retain development.

Hell, I felt for the guy at the end of the island stranding episode, and thought it'd be the turning point for both his and Sadie's unhealthy dynamic, but they don't really bring it up again.

Says the pot calling the kettle black. Sure. What ever floats your boat.