Aside from the NYC Mirror Dimension chase and the Time Stone putting Hong Kong back together...

Aside from the NYC Mirror Dimension chase and the Time Stone putting Hong Kong back together, this movie was generic and lacking creativity.

I disagree with you.

My question is what did the New York Sactum look like before british people colonized it? America is way younger than China or the UK, so was there some Native American Sorceress Supreme back then or what?

I think all of the action sequences and visuals were neat and memes aside, the way he defeated Dormammu was suitably clever.

However the first half was absolute dreck and bendydick is an awful actor

They somehow managed to make dr. strange feel extremely generic and fucking boring. They really thought the shitty inception effects were their trump card.

>except for the creative parts this was not creative

You mean the parts it ripped off from the matrix or the parts it ripped off form inception?

Not to mention he conveniently misses a ton
>Open Your Eye
>Astral Fight
>TAO's death
>DORMAMMU
>The WONDERS it did for Mordo, that shit was creative in a literal sense
If you're upset that it had a conventional beginning-middle-end structure then maybe you shouldn't be watching blockbuster based off 60s kids' mags.

the trippy bit was also great but the movie felt empty as fuck

MCU is starting to get really stale

yeah I cant believe people defend it so hard, its like

have never seen anything outside of blockbusters

fucking children, I remember when blockbusters were full of new and creative shit and didnt follow the same act structure all the time

>Astral Fight
>good

>Dormammu jobing super hard
>good

kys

yes

I honest to God cannot be sure who is trolling and who is serious in these fucking threads any more.

I can't tell if this is someone who legitimately thinks Dr. Strange was generic, or if this is some DC diehard trying to trash a Marvel movie, or just someone from Sup Forums trying to stir up shit.

Everyone in this thread could be lying, and I couldn't tell. I have no capacity to discern sincerity with any of these movie arguments any more.

>OMG he used magic.
>It's not creative!

How many different ways can you fucking tell a Dr. Strange story?

>If it doesn't win all the awards it's bad!

This is the point where one has to stop caring and walk away from the shitflinging.

By using magic and not just shitty matrix martial arts?

if this is the first time this has happened to you

leave Sup Forums now

you may be at the point of no return

insanity isn't fun at all

You do realize that Dr. Strange was a martial artist, even in the comics, right?

Yes, but it wasn't the only fucking thing he could do.
Are you seriously trying to say it wasn't generic?

I hate how it turned magic into science. And yeah, it was incredibly formulaic and often boring which I wasn't expecting from such a CGI heavy film.

>Doctor Strange story.
>No martial arts.

Do you even read comics?

It wasn't the only thing he did? Did you not watch the movie?

>turned magic into science.
????

Hey, now that's some pretty cool shit.

>It wasn't the only thing he did?
Yes it was? Literally all he did was learn to open portals with that stupid fucking "sling ring" bullshit, summon a sash to kung fu fight with, and use the time gem. He did absolute fuck all else.

I agree with you OP. It was extremely uninspired and had way too many jokes. Ruined all the tension.

magic had rules so therefore it becomes science to /cotards

Pointless nitpicking aside, the movie was just another cookie cutter Marvel origin movie. A lot of people still like those. Personally I find them boring.

>He didn't astrally project.
>Or go into the mirror dimension.
>Or work out the solution to time.
>Or study.
>Or do anything medical.
>Or gather his iconic artifacts.
>Or go through an emotional development from smug prick to less-smug selfless individual.
I mean... if you didn't watch the movie and want to shitpost, sure.

>Big special effects scenes make a movie

Hi DC boy

Oh yeah, all in a matter of 6 months. You can also find literally the same set-up in every fucking Marvel flick to date. It's fine if you liked it, but you're being silly if you didn't see how it was the same shit we've gotten time and time again.

I'm going to whatch it today.

As a matter of reference, how is this compared to Suicide Squad?

Compare the magic in Dr. Strange which was very rigid, defined, and mechanical to the magic in something like the Harry Potter series where it legitimately feels like magic and not just "energy manipulation."

What you wanted speciphicaly?

Honestly I found both to be mind-numbing and shitty. Comic book movies haven't been good since the first Iron Man and that was before Marvel was bought by Disney.

He wants the exact same origin story, only different!

HP has a horrible "magic system" dude.

Strange's pattern of magic are closer to the comics.

Strange was the first Marvel flick I saw in theaters since cap 1. Try again, sunshine. Also, it's "specifically".

Or it could stay faithful to the comics?

Or, you know, not an origin like they fucking promised originally?

>Strange's pattern of magic are closer to the comics.
Doesn't make it compelling. It felt like how they ruined the magic in the Thor movies too.

>They changed their minds so it was more consistent with the overall story arc between movies.
How horrible.

Provided they even promised that in the first place.

No, really.

What you wanted?

What magic? Everything in Thor was alien tech.

>Thor comics.
>Magic.

It's not even the primary focus in Thor comics.

Why do I get the feeling you don't read comics?

Exactly. They took all of the magic out of the Thor mythos and replaced it with alien tech that mimicked it close enough.

How do you introduce a new main character to the audience without focusing on his origins and motivations?

>Magical alien tech isn't in Thor comics.
?

Are you being sarcastic or? Because that was never the case.

>Beta Ray Bill.
>Literally a alien-magic-tech cyborg.

The comics always had a healthy balance between sci-fi and mythology and magic. The movies made them pure sci-fi and it ended up looking like a shitty version of stargate.

Like Kirby did?

They have fucking earth-like shoppings.

See

>le special effects argument
What is your argument again? What does alien tech-magic look like that would satisfy you?

What specific thing you wanted? Give an example from the comics.

>comics
>healthy balance
?

????????

what comic is this?

It's look like a low critical/audience rating because this is just contrarianism at work.

At least it looked cool stoned.

Pretty bad attempt at Doc Strange though.

Literally the only reason why I went to go see it. Also, cause a friend was paying for me. Outside of the maybe 7 minutes in total cool pretty stuff, it was the exact same fucking thing as iron man 1.

I mean, it was decently fun, like every other Marvel movie. But I think this was the movie that made me realize just how played out the Marvel formula is.

Every single one is the same origin story with a coat of paint.

I think the most creative scene is when Strange gets the trans-dimensional tour from the Ancient One.
You're also not wrong. You can feel the reshoots that sterilize all the parts that are supposed to get seriously dark.

>>
>insanity isn't fun at all
There is no escape. It's gotten into everyone.

I agree. Once again, the MCU fails to break away from the safe formula.

I still look back and shudder at that stupid Beyonce joke.

I wanted something other than an origin story. I want the setting to be established and expansive with interesting shit always happening in the background.
It felt too contained and small considering we're 15+ movies into the MCU.

Yeah I don't like Kirby's version of Thor.

>muh contrarianism

They were very true to the original Lee/Ditko comics.