DC Comics Raises Price for Monthly Rebirth Titles, Adds Digital Codes

DC Comics will raise the prices of its 16 monthly “Rebirth” series starting in April, with cover prices increasing from $2.99 to $3.99. Along with the price increase, DC will now offer download codes for a digital copy of the affected comic books, as announced via press release.

DC’s twice-monthly Rebirth titles — which include “Batman,” “Superman,” “Wonder Woman,” “Green Lanterns” and “Deathstroke” — will remain at $2.99 per issue.

Here’s the full-list of series which will see a price increase and added digital codes starting in April: “All Star Batman,” “Batgirl,” “Batgirl and the Birds of Prey,” “Batman Beyond,” “Batwoman,” “Blue Beetle,” “Cyborg,” “The Hellblazer,” “New Super-Man,” “Red Hood and the Outlaws,” “Super Sons,” “Supergirl,” “Superwoman,” “Teen Titans,” “Titans” and “Trinity.”

Notably, each previous issue of “All Star Batman” has had a $4.99 cover price, meaning in that instance, it would be a price decrease.

>“Giving readers value was a key component of our Rebirth initiative, and we’re continuing that commitment with this move,” John Cunningham, SVP, Sales & Trade Marketing, said in DC’s press release announcing the shift. “We’ve heard from many fans that they like to read and collect our books in both digital and print formats so this new offering gives DC readers the convenience and value pricing they asked for.”

This moves comes just two weeks after DC’s main competitor, Marvel, announced that it will no longer include digital codes matching a purchased print copy, but instead include a code to download two separate comics from Marvel’s library.

When DC’s Rebirth initiative was announced last February, $2.99 individual issues were a major part of the launch’s promotional focus, along with new #1s (other than “Action Comics” and “Detective Comics,” which regained their legacy numbering) and returnability for retailers.

cbr.com/dc-comics-raises-price-for-monthly-rebirth-titles-adds-digital-codes/

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Newsarama/status/821455840901267457
newsarama.com/32735-allred-sauvage-superman-what-join-gerard-way-s-young-animal-in-april-2017-solicitations.html
strawpoll.me/12123616
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>This moves comes just two weeks after DC’s main competitor, Marvel, announced that it will no longer include digital codes matching a purchased print copy, but instead include a code to download two separate comics from Marvel’s library.
:^)

The free digital codes are redeemable at Comixology?

mfw I dont have any monthly in my pull list

$2.99 has never lasted in these initiatives but I appreciate they are at least keeping it on the double-shipping books.

Price increase was bound to happen sooner or later. Not a shocking development.

>Marvel, announced that it will no longer include digital codes matching a purchased print copy, but instead include a code to download two separate comics from Marvel’s library.
Oh yeah that actually happened. Bravo Marlel.

Too bad the digital codes are mostly with books nobody cares about

This just makes Marvel look worse though

>Along with the price increase, DC will now offer download codes for a digital copy of the affected comic books, as announced via press release.
DC's commitment to kicking Marvel in the nuts after the digital code fiasco is incredible. The fact that they're using the codes as an add-on to the price increase is great.

So is it only Rebirth books? Minis, HB, Young Animal not affected? I think we'll see cancellations on the Rebirth books soon regardless.

Those should already be at that price point.

Yes

Those are all 3.99 already

Except Captain Atom for some reason

LOL

well, it seems I'll be cancelling my digital subscriptions come April then.

Thanks.

Why? Switching to print?

>Raises some 2.99 to 3.99 and adds digital
>Could have used it as an excuse to say "digital adds a dollar" and raise All-Star Batman a dollar
>Doesn't
>THEY TAKE A FUCKING DOLLAR OFF
I'm only pulling Superman, Action Comics, and some Hannah Barbara stuff, but FUCK YEAH DC. This kind of shit is how you raise consumer good-will.

If All-Star Batman actually does go down to 3.99, this is net neutral for me

Does DC have a digital comics backlog/subscription service like Marvel Unlimited?

Not the guy you're responding to, but if it comes with a code then why not? You still get your digital copy, but you essentially get a print copy for free and support your neighborhood store as well.

I know it's just an excuse to raise prices, but it's a damn funny one.

No, DC is much better at monetizing there backlist than Marvel is, so if you want old DC you have to buy it

Shame that, thanks tho.

>DC is much better at monetizing there backlist than Marvel is, so if you want old DC you have to buy it
How so?

DC just started doing the silver age and bronze age collections recently

Its much easier to get older Marvel shit

>New Super-Man
Dead
>All Star Batman
It's already expensive, it'll lose a lot of readers. Good job shooting yourself in the foot DC.

>All-Star Batman is getting its price reduced

Lmao, Snyder flopping hard

I actually get a digital copy and a physical copy of the books I'm following right now. But with the increased price tag, there is no reason to simply get the digital copy for free

It was a mistake on the article's part. It's still maintaining it's current price, but getting a free digital code. Nice try, though. :^)

ASB price is staying steady, you retard.

>shit is reported wrong because lolcomicsjournalism
>someone clarifies later
>y-you retard xD
Eat a dick

>Kingfags are this desperate
Pathetic.

How does it feel to be on the other end of a dick for once

Where the fuck are the solicits?

Delayed to next week

They're delayed until next week, but you can see some of the DC ones on Comixology.

twitter.com/Newsarama/status/821455840901267457

Marvel's is also apparently delayed until next week.

But why? Is there a lot to announce or something.

the Young Animal ones are out.

newsarama.com/32735-allred-sauvage-superman-what-join-gerard-way-s-young-animal-in-april-2017-solicitations.html

Newsarama thinks it's because yesterday was MLK day (in the Twitter conversation), but who knows why they didn't just delay it a day like most of us thought they would.

Taking a poll on Rebirth titles' popularity

strawpoll.me/12123616

AHAHAHA

>Cyborg still at 0
R I P

Not any more

man why's suicide squad so low?? Rebirth is the best it's been in decades.

Well, consider the last of my rebirth titles dropped.

This is passive aggressive towards marlel. What with them doing an event called Justice League vs Suicide Squad I guess it's true that DC is becoming more like Marvel. Now all we need is Williamson and Lobdell to shit talk marvel on twitter.
Oh well, I guess that this is the only way DC can compete... By following in Marvel's footsteps. Thank you marvel for ruining yourself and then ruining DC too.

>THEY'RE EXACTLY THE SAME AS EACH OTHER

Because Sup Forums is full on pleb. Wonder woman, Flash, Superman or Nightwing are pure trash.

>What with them doing an event called Justice League vs Suicide Squad I guess it's true that DC is becoming more like Marvel

I can't be like Marvel it has heroes fighting villians

>Superman and Deathstroke still in the lead

Same as the Poll I made 3 months ago.

I mean... Killer Frost is going to be in the Justice League...

The JLA not the Justice League

yeah, with Nightwing near them, this poll is a joke

I knew it wasn't gonna stick around for long but 6 months is pretty shitty

Have a link to that one?

what books do you consider the best, smart guy?

Oh, sorry. Not the Justice League, but the Justice League of America.

They have only raised the prices on monthly books but are also giving digital copies. If they had raised the price on the bi weeklies I would complain but as it is DC is still the only comic publisher selling books for $2.99

>smart guy
Good insult considering Seeley talks down to his readers and consider them retards.

Yeah, it's completely different

>but as it is DC is still the only comic publisher selling books for $2.99
This was true 10 months ago too.

Didn't save it

That's why I said "still"

>DC starts jewing
>everyone is fine with it
>DC is literally better than marvel at their own game

THE STATE OF DRONES

Dumb frogposter, they jewed for sure but they also gave an olive branch with the digital code. And they're still cheaper than Marvel.

nice non-answer

I am completely fine with that. Having a digital copy and a physical is a god send cause the physical usually gets fucked with time and now I can just give it to my little brother after I read it.

>Starts Jewing

They're still the cheapest publisher. Sorry if we aren't all frothing at the mouth

>They're still the cheapest publisher

this shows they don't have faith in their product if they sell it so cheap

>DC will now offer download codes for a digital copy of the affected comic books
Based DC. Saving comics once again.

Just because it's better then new 52 doesn't mean it's good.

I'm not sure why they didn't do it sooner, or why Marvel fucking stopped. If you want people to get digital, you have to get them to build up a library first. The more comics they have on Comixology the more likely they are to buy more.

The hard copy should be considered a premium product, though we know that because Diamond digital prices can't go down, but giving out free digital copies with the physical is a good first step.

I mean, if you buy a CD on Amazon, you get a digital copy. If you buy a Blu-ray, you get a digital copy. This should just be the standard now; you spend the money on the physical one, you get a digital copy as well, I mean it's not like anyone on the planet is actually going to buy BOTH.

So they should charge ten dollars an issue?

Works for Deadpool

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

What?

Phil Jimenez off Superwoman

Dc just kicked Marvel in the dick and gave it a stunner

Can't recall where I read it, but I think he's just off for that month.

I thought Deathstroke was going to go monthly starting in April.

Cullen Bunn on Trinity

>bat-character
>going monthly

>Deathstroke
>Bat character

Maybe it'll go monthly when the Batman/Flash crossover is over so they can do Judas Contract II when both Titans and Deathstroke are monthlies

They'll cancel it before it goes monthly

It doesn't. Sales for Duggan's run have been steadily declining and all his Mercs for Money team mates are seeing record low sales for their books. Solo and Foolkiller are already cancelled.

Thanks Based DC Comics™