The reason its difficult for new readers to dive into comics is because theres too much content...

the reason its difficult for new readers to dive into comics is because theres too much content. what they end up choosing is usually mediocre. I tried for over a decade before New 52 gave me 52 options, and Aquaman has hooked me since. My point is, New 52 is amazing. Appreciate it.

Waste of dubs. Kill yourself, newfag.

Keeping comics at entry level is definitely a lost art, and I can appreciate that New52 had tried to streamline things and let new people in.

It was still shit though.

I miss Superbro...that's it.

To a certain extent I agree with this. New 52 allowed me to easily re-enter comics after being away for years. Now yeah, I could have re-entered at any point but reboots do make it easy.

Too bad.

Getting into DC or Marvel is complicated.

Getting into comics is easy.

>Keeping comics at entry level is definitely a lost art
What are you talking about? The last few years have seen the least amount of continuity and longterm storytelling since the 60's.

It's extremely rare a comic's relevant story stretches beyond the beginning of the writer's run, which is also rare to be over ~24 issues, and at Marvel now even that is uncommon.

I'll never understand this idea that getting into comics is difficult. You literally just pick up the first trade of a run and go.

Too bad most of the comics sucked, though.

Yeah except superhero comics are perfect for the medium. Its visual storytelling, so i dont care unless its bold, exaggerated, overdramatized, colorful and action packed like capes.

>literally admits he's a manchild who likes pretty colors and 'sploshuns
Wew

Keep in mind that before new 52 and marvel now, 90% of trades didnt even have volume numbers on them. They just collected issues 547-553 and gave it an story arc title.

There's a Will Eisner storytime up right now.

If you ever want to stop being a casual, that's a good place for you to start.

Eisner aint shit. Overrated. It took Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier skills to pick up his trash and finally make it decent.

No.

The reason why it's difficult for new readers to get into comics is because there is this belief that there is masses of continuity when there isn't.

Basically on the whole when a new writer takes over they ignore what came before apart from the really iconic or well received stuff, and even then only if they dig it and want to use it for a story.

You could read every single Amazing Spider-Man comic from Amazing Fantasy #15 til they rebooted the numbering and more power to you, but you'd be a fool to think that every writer went in with an encyclopedic knowledge of what came before and which toes to not tread on.

The big two need to focus more on letting people know that you don't need a new #1 every 12 months to jump onto because you can follow the story hundreds of issues in with most characters and be fine.

What they really should do is offer and advertise heavily the previous instalments as downloadable at a reduced price in anthologies so that people can read the back issues if they really feel they need to catch up.

There's far too much of a reliance on buying all the issues in floppy form so on a regular basis you get new #1's so new people don't feel left out but what actually happens is long time readers who are more likely to stick with it get disillusioned and drop oit

4/10 bait. Maybe next time champ.

>“I think it’s a great time to get out there and try something that doesn’t involve capes for a change.” - Darwyn Cooke
Whenever Darwyn Cooke would talk about people needing to try non-cape comics, people needing to challenge themselves, people needing to broaden their horizons, do you think he was talking about you?

I would love it if they treated comics the same way they treat the dc original animated movies. They all feel standalone yet the more of them u consume, the more knowledge u attain about what those characters have gone through in their life. They need to get rid of numbering all together and tell people that they can jump on any story arc that looks interesting to them

>They all feel standalone yet the more of them u consume, the more knowledge u attain about what those characters have gone through in their life

That's basically what they are.

They need numbering so that people know whether or not they're buying the next one in a story arc or not quickly and easily.

As I said, what they need to do is make it very apparent to people that continuity isn't as big a deal as you'd think.

I know normies who think that in order to enjoy the Avengers comic you need to know everything in the back story for every single avenger present for example. That's simply not the case and the big two need to advertise that.

But then there is the catch 22 of people deciding to fuck off that shit if it doesn't seem important to the lore, which generally it isn't

Cooke was a very talented cartoonist. He is bitter towards cape comics because they arent up to his ideals. He doesnt hate capes, he wanted to redirect them for children and introduce new characters for a new time. He would probably really enjoy stuff like kamala khan but his bitterness towards capes in general turned him off completely. DC never gave him an ongoing cape comic, otherwise he would be all over it. He hated marvel cause they fucked him over by takin his marvel adventures concepts and never called him back. So yeah, he walks around saying try non-cape stuff, thats because hes not part of it. But look at what hes known for. Its undeniably, new frontier.

>I never read his Parker adaptations
>I never read his Solo issue
>I never heard of Revengeance
You are such an idiot.

> calls Sup Forums user a manchild for liking superheroes
> uses wew meme

w e w
e
w

Theres a problem. 80% of comic readers have autism. They get very mad if you tell them the continuity isnt important. In fact, they try to glorify the intensity of it by posting long history of videos on youtube and have intelligent u have to be to enjoy the most convuluted amazing universe ever.

What does it matter what he's known for? Do you think popularity correlates with value?

The point is, "fans" like you are what he wanted to see less of. He wanted you to grow and evolve. Go do it, user, go do it for him.

>no u
Great argument.

Liking superheroes doesn't make you a manchild per se, but automatically rejecting non-superhero comics sure does.

>posting a .gif file
>using an obsolete file format in 2017

New Frontier is his centerpiece. Those are lower tier.

assuming i was arguing

>the reason its difficult for new readers to dive into comics is because theres too much content
Is that really true? I just started with Rebirth, and even though I don't know alot of characters in it, I feel at home.

Most people that get into the comics already has an idea because they know of DC animation.

>being this plebian
He always considered his Parker adaptations his magnum opus.

Oh, so you were just pretending to be retarded then.

Agreed. They also need to get over it.

Continuity is a fucking cancer on big two comic books because it's a thing that never existed.

Comic books are like what TV shows used to be like. Like Star Trek The Next Generation/DS9/VOY for example.

Every now and then they might have a line of dialogue that refers to a previous episode in that series or another one, but it's not important. It's there for tossers like me who follow it to say "hurr they said the thing!"

A better example would be the CW Flash/Arrow/Legends shows. They have constant one line references to shit to make fans shart themselves but ultimately most don't actually impact the plot.

That's what continuity in comics is.

one day the New 52 will get the respect it deserves and the due thanks for boosting the industry like it has never been done since then

believe

New 52 4 life senpai

It ruined the DCU and the boost came more because first day digital and tv commercials.

Demon Knights was bretty cool but I don't miss it that much.

Come to think of it, it did boost the comic book industry. All Marvel ever did is ride DC's wave since even before the 90s until they finally caught up to them and to be finally bought by Disney.

It's because of New 52 that I got myself into comics back in 2011. It was so much easier for because i could pick what characters and stories I wanted to follow without feeling that I missed something in "previous issues".

How did you deal with the 5 year time-skip that riddle most of the comics? Or the past references to stories that couldn't be canon anymore?

I wiki'd them and did the trick. Only pre52 arc I ever read isn't even a canon one.