Jon Sable: Freelance Storytime

Jon Sable: Freelance storytime

Feel free to shoot the shit, comment on the comic or bump the thread. It'd be much appreciated.

>Grell
Why have I never heard of this

I had the same reaction. It's also pretty damn good. But then agains so were most First Comics. Alot got overlooked I feel beacuse of American Flagg

First comics is a forgotten goldmine of 80's action comics.

American Flagg, Badger, Nexus, Starslayer, Grimjack, Dynamo Joe, Dreadstar

Basically the company went under and DC snatched a lot of talent like Grell, Truman, and Ostrander

Has this entire series been scanned yet? I keep finding it up through some issue or other, but with some of the later issues missing.

I'm not sure. The torrent I grabbed had the 56 issues of the original, about 25 of the Marv Wolfman one and all the minis. Hope that helps.
(Plus comic mix is putting out "omnibuses" for it so if there aren't complete scans there will be)

That's not even everything. Whisper, Team Yankee, Corum, Elric, Evangeline, E-Man, Warp, etc. Best good:bad quality ration of any comics publisher ever by far.

DC is really good at poaching talent it seems.

>Elric
Shame that all the trades for it apparently are awful quality, I can never find any torrents for it, But yeah. They were full of gems

Badger and Nexus were legit hits as well. IIRC Sable was their second highest selling book. I don't remember what kind of numbers Grimjack moved, but I think it was relatively respectable.

80s indie comics are a fucking goldmine of quality stuff that most modern comics fans have never even heard of.

Issue 2

Plus Shatter, Sensei, Time2, etc.

>Shatter
I completely forgot. I might include the back ups for it that started in Jon Sable.

I really think the 1980s was the best time for comic books. The art hits that perfect medium between modern feel and newspapery. I don't like the glossy color on all the new stuff.

We're forgetting the true masterpiece, TIME BEAVERS

Issue 3

bump

Thank you very much user

DC was arguably at their best ever, Marvel was almost unquestionably at their best ever, First and Eclipse were two of the best "small publishers" ever, and there were some other notable odds and ends here or there (like Pacific, Comico, etc.)

Plus manga and yuro shit were starting to get translated more frequently and the quality control was incredible before all the weeb shit started coming over.

And this was all before the 90s style garbage took off and the shelves got flooded with crap.

Grell worked at DC for ten years before this, read The Warlord. It's nearly as good as Sable, but not quite since Sable is one of the top ten greatest comics of all time. Good choice OP.

90s wasn't all bad, I think 90s indie is good too but in a different way. Also I can see the argument for the 80s but I would say DC was at their best ever in the 90s.

Thank you. May I ask what the other nine are?

Issue 4