>The perfect movie doesn't exi-

youtube.com/watch?v=DTXFknz4J88

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pM-TmtrShyg
youtube.com/watch?v=MkELGbT9_jM
youtube.com/watch?v=itQinJxCg50
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I actually really love that movie

This scene is amazing though. Everything from when Speed and his family show up to the finish line is great.

Movie gets shit on a lot for white-washing.

this is better

youtube.com/watch?v=pM-TmtrShyg

This movie kicks ass, got trashed hard by brainlets and nu-male 1.0 critics.

>the mach five was your car
>put the car in fifth gear to jumpstart it

The memory of his brother was what started the car, and Rex Racer is Racer X

What the ACTUAL fuck did i just witness?

You may not like it, but this is what peak kinografi looks like

I want a sequel so bad

you know looking back at this movie, it still holds up. guess i new what kino was even as a kid

it makes me really happy that their are some others who know what kino really is

How did this get made?

This movie was so great. I caught it randomly while flipping through tv channel. I knew right away that it would be a under the radar gem that got trashed by plebs.

I refuse to believe that anyone actually likes this. It's trash.

What the fuck is this? some disney movie?

9.9/10. The only bad parts are the spritle/chim-chim no-sequetors. The humor falls flat. Is there a recut removing them?

This might be one of the worst racing sequences ever "filmed". Closeups of just the driver (nobody cares), racing moments last for only a few seconds at a time on a nonsensical track that we're shown too little of to get our bearings of, and the "talking to the car" scene is something that should have been in Talladega Nights.
I've made fun of this movie in the past without even seeing it ever, claiming it's my favorite movie. Now that I've seen a portion of though, I think making fun of it may have just been adding insult to horrid injury.

what's up arin hanson?

>Speedracer
>Trash
I mean I could meme and claim you're a pleb knowing nothing about your tastes beyond this, but still.
This scene can't work on its own. If you haven't seen the whole thing, it probably doesn't do a thing for you, but it speaks to a kind of passion not everyone gets, and it does that amazingly.
It might not be for you, but I think you should give it a chance if you haven't yet.

this is unironically the best thread on Sup Forums right now

Its an uncommon meme around here. They are trying to trigger people/get people to waste their time.

Akin to the fingerbox meme.

It's actually my favourite movie, I might get the quote:

>It doesn't matter if the world never changes, what matters is that we don't let the world change us

tattooed on my back. Either that or a quote from heavenly lies:

>Wipe away the weakness, will you let those scars define you?

youtube.com/watch?v=MkELGbT9_jM

Anyway, that part of speed racer where they had an instrumental version of here he comes, here comes speed racer was wonderful.

you should give it a chance. watch it from the beginning, it is really a great great movie.

Those look like the lens flares I make in GIMP.

>The only bad parts are the spritle/chim-chim no-sequetors.

The shitty wipe transitions are super distracting, and the movie uses them CONSTANTLY.

I can see the appeal of the movie though. It's kind of refreshing to see a movie that's earnest in its silliness.

>lets make a movie about racing but ignore everything about racing

But the movie was all about the REAL heart of racing.

now this is kino

You guys actually fooled me into downloading this a couple years ago.

>fingerbox
What year is it?

oh my god was that a ninja?

No I mean the film is trash. The visuals and the tone of the film doesn't work together. The visuals (although they are executed very well) are very very flamboyant but the tone of the film is very serious. Making it a comedy, but not the kind of comedy you laugh with... I respect the execution, but the underlying idea is trash, it's bad filmmaking... At the end of the day the film is trash.

I respect it for being different and trying something new, but that doesn't make it good.

Okay, I am completely ignorant to anything speedracer outside of the opening theme, but does he always murder the 2 other placing competitors in order to win?

It tries to emulate anime

nigga
youtube.com/watch?v=itQinJxCg50

>Very very flamboyant but the tone of the film is very serious.
So I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think this may be an issue for you based on the media you grew up with. Which isn't bad for you or that media, I just feel it tuned you to different things in respect to what you can and cannot react to emotionally.

Case in point: This is an adaptation of a Japanese Franchise.
Japanese comics, art and anime especially has a tendency to be flamboyant. Think of how serious the tone of JoJo can get at times, and yet how colourful it remains throughout. Think of all the colourful animes with ridiculously dressed characters that while you might not like, a lot of people swear just "work".

I think this is similar to the kind of disconnect a lot of people get with high-tech/fantasy settings in general, where they can just not relate to characters who can get healed from a gunshot in 2 seconds, or throw fireballs from their hands, because it's just too campy.

You kind of need to buy into the setting, accept it as normal, and then the serious bits will feel serious, and the otherwise silly things will either be unnoticeably or serve to contrast it.
Once again, case in point: The ridiculous visual style was used to portray the clarity that Speed Racer experiences in this climax. You can't really do that without some over the top effects.

That was a pretty good breakdown, thanks for the link.

You can always tell when kids from a particular era are finally adult age. It's when you start seeing articles or posts talking about how obviously shit movies are secretly great, in a way that only someone who was a kid on its release could think.

Same thing happened with the Star Wars prequels.

This 100%.
Speedracer was a fucking terrible movie in every way.

you can always tell when an asshole posts

the racers get ejected in bubbles when they crash. you can see them at 4:22.

no prob

this.

>tone of the film is very serious

more like a non-ja

Not accurate for this film, which had the, "This movie everybody said was shit is actually a masterpiece, like it makes Citizen Kane look like fucking schlock." Make not mistake however, it is shit, but people have been delusionaly saying otherwise for years.

I don't know man.
I watched it when it came out, thought it was shit, then I re-watched it maybe a year or two ago and thought it was pretty damn great.
Then again, I no joke had a near fatal concussion in 2009, so if you're looking for an easy out of having to explain why I liked it, there's your free ammo.

gave me a headache
can't imagine watching an entire movie like that

It is extremely fun

Why do people get so booty blasted that some people like this movie?

Because it's just another entry in this meme of taking a universally panned movie and claiming its le epic pleb filter kino just to be contrarian. This shit is exhausting.

wrong mister I watched the movie for the first time as an adult. I got into anime at age of 23.

what if it's not an evil scheme and people just say they like it because they did.

This movie is so fucking good. The only good anime-to-live action adaption there has ever been.

It's good fun.

>Why do people get booty blasted
It's got a really weird and over the top aesthetic that makes relating to the characters pretty hard if you didn't grow up on media that expected you to place yourself into a similarly "out there" setting.
That makes them not like it, and is understandable.

Then some people who like it (and some people who think the first group is only memeing because surely anyone who disagrees with their sage wisdom on what is and isn't good must be captaining a ruse cruise) decide to be complete dickheads and proclaim those who didn't like it to be plebians of the lowest quality, unworthy to lick the very soles of the boots of such godlike seers of Film Making Excellence, and should be ashamed for not basking in the glory that is Speed Racer!
That makes them hate these faggots, and the movie by extension, which is also understandable.

I know for a fact that I can't stand a number of things including Steven Universe, Undertale and Madoka or whatever it was called though I never gave them a chance, just because of how obnoxiously people kept bombarding me about their transcendent quality. There's every chance they're good, but just thinking about them makes me feel tense and angry, so I doubt I'll ever be able to experience them through lenses that aren't at least a little bit red.

Not at all. It came out the same year as Dark Knight, but Speed Racer was may favorite movie that year. I've been championing it ever since.

The majority of the people who hate it never bothered watching it.

This movie is one of my biggest missed cinema regrets, the trailer looked so fucking stupid but by the time the internet hype got to me it was already out of the theatres, gave it a watch once it was on dvd and was blown away

t. Wachowski Sisters

all this fucking CGI green screen candy colored vomit every where.

How the fuck does this movie have a cult fanbase??????

true anime kino

did you try watching it? It's a wholesome tale of a family and following your dreams.

>cult fanbase

They're trolls.

I think its pretty popcorn and low brow but at the same time I have no idea why it gets panned for being over the top and yet critics will still praise capeshit to no end.

this clip alone makes my fucking eyes burn

this is a no lie zone mister

>tfw Christina Ricci will never sit on my face

>2 faggots make a trash movie based on weebshit trash for faggots

Pottery

>all these haters can do nothing to detract from the wonder I feel when I watch Speed Racer

By the Wachowski sisters (formerly siblings [formerly brothers])

One of the best movies of the 2000s.

I don't know, I've shown Speed Racer to adults who were already "too old" for the film at original release, and some have found a lot to appreciate. The innovative use of green screen and editing techniques make it worth seeing and appreciating. The story has genuine heart, and this narrative about a young naive man who wants to join an establishment that is built upon corruption, is pretty relevant. It's only if you see the film on a shallow, superficial level that you can write it off for being childish. There's real craft on display, far more than the pretentious "adult" movies that don't do anything new but demand you take them seriously because it's about some social issue ripped from the headlines but don't do anything interesting with the medium itself.

I actually loved this movie when it came out. Too bad it looks so terrible now

It's not a contrarian meme. Why do people praise BvS, Speed Racer and Prometheus but not Suicide Squad, Jupiter Ascending or Alien Resurrection? Because to some people the former are actually good movies and they can use reason to defend it.

Just because a bunch of profession reviewers say something is bad doesn't make it an objective fact that it's bad.

Read film history, watch film history, see how techniques are pioneered and evolve over time. Read about subjects outside of film like philosophy, mythology, political theory. And then maybe, certain movies that critics hate for being confusing noise make total sense to a certain viewer, and that viewer can form an opinion that is not based around their ego. And then they call the movie a pleb filter as a joke, but are serious about them actually being good and requiring some background information to make sense.

>You don't get behind the wheel of a T-180 to drive, you do it because you're drive
Gives me chills every time.

Who would win?

>3 great drivers (Except maybe top right as I'm not sure who they are) vs
>Speed Racer who is plain better driver than everyone else, manoeuvrers like he was one with his car, except his car is The Flash, and to top it off, he's driving in what basically constitutes as Japanese Wacky Races, with almost everyone else playing the role of Dick Dastardly
I'm not sure if there's even a competition.
You'd need to put him up against someone (and the car of someone) like the guy from Taxi (Not Taxi Driver, the French comedy series) to come even close.

I saw this for the first time this year on TV. It actually was pretty amazing. CGI was shit but I could put up with it.