Who will be the defining artist of this decade/generation?

who will be the defining artist of this decade/generation?

Yeezy.

Lil Pump

>pop musicians
>artists
lmao

I was born in le wrong generation

Carly Bae Jepsen

What happened to actual white men making music? It's like they all vanished over night.

Pic related was. He could actually sing, dance, wrote most of his biggest hits, and he could play a few instruments. Truly an underrated talent.
inb4 tired pedo jokes

In my experience, people who reject pop have fucking awful taste in the music they do listen to.

>Michael "King of Pop" Jackson
>underrated

and thats why hes the KING of pop, because everyone else is trash

Taylor Swift

Kendrick

>pick one

Nobody. America is way too fractured and varied in it's entertainment these days. When the Beatles made their US debut on Ed Sullivan, like 74 million Americans tuned in and watched. Almost 40% of Americans were watching Ed Sullivan that night. Not 40% of Americans with a television in 1964, 40% of all Americans.

By contrast, when Saturday Night Live was talking about it's cultural phenomenon run, they were getting about 11 million people watching. That's 0.0333 percent of Americans.

These days, it's only stuff like Michael Jackson dying that hits those big, defining moments where everybody is more or less thinking and sharing an experience. The rest of the time we're all wrapped up in other junk.

music is the worst medium prove me wrong hint you cant

Many people seem to be under the impression he had no input in his music. That he just sung and moved across stage.

Michael Jackson and Madonna managed to become the third and fourth best selling artists of all time, behind only the Beatles and Elvis, in the 80s. So was the 80s the last time American pop culture was united in music tastes?

I think it was more so than it is now. In 1960 there were 180 million people in America. We added a little over 40 million by 1980, bringing the total to like 223 million. By 2000, we'd added over 60 million, taking us up to like 286 million. Population now is over 320 million and rising.

Maybe. Shania Twain's 1997 album sold slightly more Led Zeppelin IV, but I think Stairway to Heaven was more of a cultural phenomenon.

It was a lot easier to dominate the culture in the 1980s. Just look at television ratings. In it's first year, it was watched by 11 million families. Pretty impressive, especially since there were only 15 million families with televisions. 73% of televisions were tuned to Lucy.

As I said before, 74 million Americans tuned in to watch the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Fast forward to the M.A.S.H. finale in 1983, 106 million people tuned in to watch. That record stood until 2010, when Super Bowls beat it for a few years.

Cheers finale? 84.4 million. Seinfeld finale? 76.3 million. The Friends finale, the most watched episode of any show in the 2000s? 65.9 million Americans. Population goes up, viewers go down.

>In it's first year, it was watched by 11 million families

In its first year, I Love Lucy was watched by 11 million families.

this

Fpbp you fucking plebs.

Music industry is a tool to brainwash youth into acting like sluts and abandon their old values and culture. It stopped being about music a long time ago.

Have we come full circle? Elvis and his contemporaries, even predecessors, were hit with those accusations.