Why do some people lament the cancellation of The Cricket while criticising Family Guy for being nothing but cheap...

Why do some people lament the cancellation of The Cricket while criticising Family Guy for being nothing but cheap references and cutaway gags. I just marathoned the series and like half the jokes were basically straight-up references to popular media or celebrities, which is especially jarring since most of these references are now horribly dated. What gives?

>The Cricket

I'm with you, OP. The Cricket was underrated.

My favorite episode is the one where he gathers leaves for winter.

Crickets don't gather leaves for the winter, they go into a state of prolonged topor called diapause. This is why nobody took the show seriously, they didn't put any effort into it.

A show about a movie critic having movie references isn't cheap.

Nor are they incredibly jarring because you will expect them. Jay is the one going around relating to these references, too. It's not like his supporting cast is going around listing references, except for Jeremy Hawke who is a movie star that you can do these things with. Like Troy McClure and Calculon.

A lot of Family Guy's movie references are more about poking fun at obvious problems or straight out saying exactly what cliche that movie/tv series has in a general term so that the audience goes "haha, that's so true!" It's not inherently wrong to have them since the show was entirely dependant on being an edgy parody of family sitcoms, but it's really just a mishmash of any media reference they can find. From video games, to music, to politics, etc. That's why they're cheap, they have no actual addition to the show at hand.

A lot of The Critics references are old as fuck, but a lot of the standards are still the same. Forced sequels, bad casting, pretentious elitism of something artistic and the meddling of executive forces. It's not as dated unless you're oblivious to the movie industry.

It's completely appropriate for the references because it's about a movie critic.

The poke at Jurassic Park is always my favorite

he's a critic, so references are expected. family guy's problem is that they aren't done cleverly. they just flat out go through them like a checklist

>dated
not really

Contrarianism. Family Guy hate is mostly a meme at this point. Yes, it's awful. That's why I don't watch it.

Sup Forums is obsessed with Family Guy because it's a vulnerable target that no one will defend. If some South Park fag gets offended that people are criticizing season 20 for having no jokes, they can easily say "Well it's better than Family Gay" and then no one can argue, lest they be accused of being a Family Guy fan. No sir.

This board is just Reddit without the ability to upbeat

Deepest Lore.

>Why do some people lament the cancellation of The Cricket while criticising Family Guy for being nothing but cheap references and cutaway gags.

those cutaway gags literally only show up during his reviews tho,

Hold up a sec.

Jeremy Hawke stars in dumb action movies, but he likes Jay because Jay was the one critic who gave his first movie a good review.

I'm amazed Jay liked a dumb action movie.

Jay is never shown disliking a movie on the basis of it being dumb. He usually only said a movie stinks when said movie's execution fails its premise, or has bad acting, tonal dissonance, or a total betrayal of what people liked about the franchise or source material in the first place.

Jay was actually a fairly decent film critic. He was just kind of a dick and way more cantankerous than literally anyone else on TV at that point.

Half in the Bag the cartoon show

versus

"REPUBLICANS AND GAYS ARE STUPID HUHUHUHUE"

Imagine my surprise when I thought you were talking about TheTick this whole time

get the fuck out of here milo you gay republican goebbels-wannabe

Another thing The Critic had going for it was that it's main target of ridicule wasn't the middle-class buffoons like The Simpsons, Family Guy, and countless others, but a well-off, semi-famous Manhattan intellectual, whose life was still a mess even when he was nominally successful. It was a Fraser without his head up its ass, and in that aspect I think it's still fairly unique.

Literally who?

Family Guy used to be good. It's like asking why people want the Simpsons to end.

>The Cricket

>The Cricket
Chirp. Chirp. Ackhem!

>If some South Park fag gets offended that people are criticizing season 20 for having no jokes
Season 20 had TONS of jokes. Just not as much crude humor like it used to. Though I will agree the memberbarries shtick was dragged out. I was rolling when Musk "invented" the pizza pocket and Amy Shumors vagina bit was gold.