My Uncle works at Nint... Marvel

Get on it, Rich.

Moeny.

Bs anways.

>books that are well known to be selling cancellation numbers are going to be canceled
WHAT AMAZING INFORMATION THAT YOU COULD ONLY GET WITH AN INSIDE SOURCE!

All the cancellations either we already 100% knew about or were easily guessable from the sales numbers, except maybe they could've chosen to keep Rocket and Gamora alive up to the movie.
The last three lines are just a guess, not an unlikely one but still it's nothing thread-worthy.

To translate these rumors:
>Mass cancellation of Marvel books inbound
>Retailers were vocally upset with Marvel overshipping titles
>"Rocket Racoon", "Star-Lord", "Gamora", and other spin-off GOTG books are cancelled after one story-arc
>"Spider-Man 2099" is cancelled
>"Spider-Woman" and "Silk" are cancelled but may be relaunched as another book
>"Uncanny Avengers" is getting a new creative team
>"Occupy Avengers" to be cancelled after three or four more issues
>"Mosaic" and "Hellcat" are cancelled
>"Foolkiller", "Solo", and "Slapstick" are all gone
>The spin-off book to "Dr. Strange" is cancelled as well
>The new "Nick Fury" book, the new "America" book, "Kingpin", "Elektra" and "Iceman" may not make it past issue #5
>Marvel looking to go twice-monthly with GOTG and X-books, and with Captain America and Thor after the Secret Empire event

The Guardians solos were all very obviously stealth minis. Filler 5-issue "fish out of water" Earth arcs for Star-Lord and Rocket and a backstory flashback for Gamora to cross off that two year old promise before the big movie relaunch. Somehow I doubt we'll be seeing any more Guardians solos for awhile.

Rocket Raccoon is already cancelled per the trade solicit.

>>"Spider-Man 2099" is cancelled
I'd feel bad about this, if Marvel didn't give Peter David their WORST artist.

>most of the books he's mentioning as being cancelled are among Marvel's few good books
Oh good.

>they could've chosen to keep Rocket and Gamora alive up to the movie
Given how decompressed books are these days, "cancelled after the first arc" would likely still place them as running up to the movie.

How are these "rumors"? Everything here is either already confirmed or could be easily guessed just by looking at solicits and sales data.

It's no surprise. Marvel has been in a tail spin and the new Marvel NOW offered nothing outside US Avengers to grab me. That preview book was piratically barren.

Marvel needs to realize that writing books solely for internet buzz is not worth it. Start making stories! Start building towards interesting ideas! Stop acting like blocks of wood who are minorities are stories!

They all started in December and will run through April.

And the movie comes out in the first week of May.

That has never ever been their business model.

There is a reason the rarely do one shots or graphic novels.

This. Idk if it's new readers or what but Marvel will never be DC. Marvel has never focused on long term storytelling or critical acclaim. The name of the game has always been issue to issue with small self contained arcs and then events.

Get over it.

Don't drink and write.

Yup, Duggan's relaunch too.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read on Sup Forums.

He's not wrong. Marvel has never really had a focus on storytelling or an interest in making an impact on the medium. It's always been about sales.

No mention of Nova getting canned.
So far so good. Keeping getting those preorders in people!

>or critical acclaim.
That's literally all they keep doing, even if Waid isn't selling enough to be a hot shot writer he's always complimented and you had nonsense like Squirrel Girl being nominated for an Eisner or how the media at large rides Mockingbird's comic dick because "muh".

I can believe Rocket, Star-Lord and Gamora are going to be cancelled. They were all stealth minis anyways. However, it's their own damn fault the Guardians franchise is on life support. Worse if they refuse to fix it.

Gee, Marvel. I thought Mosaic was supposed to be the next big thing.

Again, that is short term buzz acclaim. Which is PR stunts, which is right in Marvel's wheelhouse. They go for the short term buck.

Marvel doesn't go for like actual lasting acclaim in the vein of how people bring up Watchmen, Red Son or Batman Year One.

Sure it happens from time to time like with Silver Surfer or Earth X but those are few and far between.

The copy hasn't and never will be interested in contained stories like that. They fight their battles in the floppies.

I think the problem is that Marvel has done all the big tricks and now there's nothing left. The big name Avengers are all over the movies, so they try to change all their roster with new kids. All of these characters interact regularly so there is no more buildup. Kamala Khan was built up to meet Carol, and now we gotten to the point where she's an Avenger, quit the Avengers and no longer likes Carol Danvers in about 4 years. Avengers membership is a joke now because everyone has become one and now the roster barely matters.

What Marvel needs to do is lay solid foundations. Do an Avengers lineup for a big that feels big. Make each arc feel like an event is happening. Stop crossing over everything so much and let everything develop as a franchise again.

>Mosaic
I keep thinking of the DC comic

>Marvel's "Mosaic" is the comic on black identity we all need

i mean that's like common sense stuff, not really insider info. outside of feeding Sup Forumss everyone hates marvel meme

> Do an Avengers lineup for a big that feels big.

you mean like say Thor and Captain America and Spider-Man on the team? and a story that crosses centuries of time?

They just dont care.

I can't remember the last time they did.

I guess it was when they brought in Morrison to revamp the Xmen but even then that was only to capitalize on the movies.

Let's talk about the real problem here.

They have no talent. What little talent they do had drank the koolaid and is more focused on social commentary than storytelling.

And DC has? I say this as a someone that doesn't even buy cape books, so it's humorous whenever any of you company nerds take one side over the other. It's like reading an arguement about which is better food for you, McDonald's or BK, and dipshits will claim their shitty food is will make you less fat than the other company.

How about they hold off on Kang? Kang has been used pretty frequently in the past few Avengers runs.

He is absolutely wrong.

I'm still not over how Sam Humphries, the guy who wrote that tedious Starlord run, ends up being so great at DC.

I mean, just look at how many books we keep getting where it's the writer standing up on a soapbox shouting "WOMEN ARE AWESOME!" and that's all we get. Hellcat, Squirrel Girl, Mockingbird (granted, it was issue 3 and the last one), and the new Wasp all seem so caught up with the genders that they don't care about, you know, story.

But hey, take a look at the Wednesday Spoilers tag on Tumblr, and the buzz is all about Bucky/Nat! So who cares about story when you have hyperventilating fangirls?

>Somehow I doubt we'll be seeing any more Guardians solos for awhile.
That's good. It means Duggan can do something cool with the team instead.
Now if only Nova survived.

What?

I'm not saying DC is better. I'm saying DC as a company has always been more focused on impactful stories and they just let their IPs work for them. Hence why they have so many elseworlds and self contained Graphic Novels.

Marvel has always been about advertising their IPs and trying to draw in new readers by putting writer's on books and letting the writer's do what they want in a monthly format while organizing a company wide event.

They are just different. Youd have to be dense not to accept that.

It's too bad about Sorcerers Supreme. It's a really good book.

It is. It had the black man get cucked by an asian woman

I wouldn't be opposed to them making Loveness an exclusive and giving him more work.

He's done more quality in 2 issues of Nova then 75% of the their entire lineup.

Also, they need to put him on Champions. In 2 pages he wrote the team better then Waid has in 4 issues.

Avengers A.I. was good, so it's not like he completely shit the bed at Marvel. I bet he was hampered by editorial and Bendis.

Ewing's been doing the best Avengers run in decades since Might Avengers.

No more so than like Ultron tho right or any other villain? I guess I'm still holding onto residual anger at Bendis' era of shitty villains. I see your point though.

BUcky/Nat rocks and it's been years,

I can verify this. Don't live in the States, but a LCS in Australia and New Zealand have had it with Marvel's single issues. They're gladly taking in Omnibuses, though.

The problem with Star-Lord wasn't the story or even the romantic subplot, it was that Humphries couldn't help but to write Peter as a fucking retard, as a worse dudebro than Chris Pratt ever showed on any character he ever portraited, and most importantly, because he kept showing Peter as a complete useless loser. Although I will say it's pretty obvious there was lots of meddling on that book from Marvel and that Humphries wasn't happy about it one bit.

Isn't that just character derailment? You don't have to spread it so long.

Their death in Annihilation was good enough closure. Why did they think it was a good idea to bring him back with the Pratt personality? Why? It's good for a movie, it's insufferable to put up with for a whole bloody year.

Onky thing that upsets me here woyld be Duggan leaving Uncanny Avengers.

I'm still not over the Dum-Dum LMD thing. God, that was a fucking mess.

Richard Rider Nova is back in the current Nova book. Or do you mean surviving the cancellation wave?

>we are not making more comics for you old white racist piece of shit readers, now we make comics for a new generation of brave and socially well adjusted people of all races, genres and pronouns. in fact we are gonna dedicate entire pages to make fun of all you old readers, suck it!
it baffles me how did marvel fail to sell those books, their logic was just right.

Marvel need room for the upcoming Disneyverse epic saga, featuring Elsa and Simba traveling the multiverse to save Love

Make my comics fun again please

I hate to say it, but that's exactly what the waid book is. Each arc does feel like an event against big world threatening villains. It's just not that good and also has tied into two other stories.

When you tell the story by the campfire badly, no one's going to pay attention and just head off to sleep. That and they tried to make it as though being a male and white is some kind of God-send and tried to turn them into apologetic buyers.

People don't react like that. They want to be entertained. I don't know why they're going on a tract every issue, though. They used to just be written badly since mid-00s.

It's tricky to sum it up. Marvel has always cared in more limited capacities is safer to say. That theirs arcs and storylines are smaller branches. Marvel seems to value flexibility and changing things more than sticking to a plan having really long term branches.

Marvel is aboslutely about events. I don't know why says they are not. Marvels events always end with nothing changing though. Oh....someone died or quit or two characters are mad at each other..... big deal. The status quo is maintained. Marvel is not about drastically changing, it's all slow subtle changes in the little windows and arcs they are doing.

is this sexual harrasement? I'm gonna have to write a letter.

>no mention of gwenpool
yes

>cenceling Doctor Strange the the Sorcerer Surpemes

I thought this book was gonna be shit and it's really awesome.

It's what ruined the book. The same stories with a competent, intelligent and likable Starlord wouldn't have been half as bad.

I think Marvel has been making some of their heroes dumber to make them seem less threatening. Tony, Quill and Parker act incompetent until the plot demands they don't.

No please user

Ewing fixed it.

Is this the downfall of progressive Marvel? Will they finally get their shit together and have fun again?

If I was one of the writers at Marvel I'd unironically steal the Mighty Avengers roster from the Assemble cartoon and pit them against Graviton, Count Nefaria and the Zodiac.

Captain Carol, BP, Ant-Man, Vision, Rulk and Songbird.

Why?

Fuck fun. I want suffering, misery and despair.

Which can be fun. As long as it gets you reading, it's enjoyable for you - thus, for you, fun.

Sounded pretty good too desu. I was at a panel at NYCC and the art alone was fantastic. It's a shame. Maybe they'll throw him on a team. I like the idea that he has a piece of shit personality.

Because girls like stupid men.

>flagship book is pulling less than 40k

>It had the black man get cucked by an asian woman

Asian women are stealing Black men's White women?

Why are there so many fucking Avengers off shoots? It just waters down the group so much.

I never trust anyone who treats it as big secret news that a low-selling solo book is going to be canceled. They're all going to be canceled. They're stealth limited series.

they way they're going Rocket and Star-Lord will probably catch up with Carol with the most relaunch or rebranded volumes

>Marvel's "Mosaic" is the comic on black identity we all need
I'm white so I really don't need it

Read my mind, user

miguel didnt deserve it
cindy, jess and gwen can bite it

>>The new "Nick Fury" book, the new "America" book, "Kingpin", "Elektra" and "Iceman" may not make it past issue #5
this isn't exactly like a hot take, those books are doomed to fail

how far ahead does Marvel actually produce their book, is is already to late to change the artist and tone of something like Electra and Iceman and do something people would actually enjoy.

Yes.

You know what would have been a fun Iceman book? Pulling one of their old romance book titles and having Iceman and Johnny Storm fighting for the affections of the same woman while a villain of the week spoils their dates.

That's why they're brilliant

Almost everything but the double shipping on the last bullet point were almost definitely going to happen
Even Sup Forums thought marvel might try a Spider-women book since Jess and Silk are selling like shit

Makes it seem like the "leaker" know what he's talking about

Now THAT sounds readable.

which Silver Surfer volume you talking about, user?

It's a shitty situation overall. We get a Spider-Man 2099 book and barely any of it is spent in 2099. Who actually wants to read a Spider-Man 2099 book where he's in the present? What's even the point of that? You've taken away a lot of the appeal of the book right from the start.

It sucks because the 2099 setting is great. I'm working my way through X-Men 2099 right now and goddamn is it a good book that would never work if done as a typical superhero book or removed from its setting. Spidey's the same way. The setting helps shape the character and stories you can tell and removing that us like cutting off one of the characters' legs and telling him to run a race.

>I like the idea that he has a piece of shit personality.
But every single Marvel character has a piece of shit personality. How is he any different?

> I say this as a someone that doesn't even buy cape books,
Translation
>I don't know anything about comics but let me just make sweeping uneducated generalizations about them

Most people that hate comics and have experience with them read Spider-man and X-men, got burned, and think that's what all superhero comics are.

Your safe space of delusion will only protect you for so long, user.

>it's a Marvel copies DC again episode

I don't think it's particularly bad. It's fairly middle of the road with great art which for modern Marvel puts it miles ahead of most anything. It's one of those books that would benefit greatly from an imprint like Marvel Knights still being around.

Yeah it's not bad. Problem is it came around the time when Marvel fucked up badly with their main titles and also decided to saddle Mosiac with Inhumans and $3.99 cover price.

I honestly think it's more that most of the writers they've brought in over the last 5-6 years are people who grew up on or were really into Joss Whedon shows where you have fast-paced quippy dialogue and sub-standard action because the real meat is how the characters interact with one another. Now combine that with a couple of other things (Bendis' success and his poor attempts at emulating Aaron Sorkin and David Mamet, a lot of media in general over the last 15 or so years growing more cynical and focused on assholes in a misguided "feet of clay" attempt) and that most of these people grew up only consuming mass media like children's cartoons, sitcoms, video games and again Joss Whedon shows and you get the current state of Marvel and the poor quality writers that work on 90% of their books. The Avengers making a billion dollars is, in a way, the worst thing to ever happen to Marvel creatively because they saw "wow people like that, let's make our books like that too".

That's not to get into the artists which isn't as dire of a situation but on a lot of their low tier books it's just people plucked straight from webcomics and Tumblr and their utter inability draw a proper page or do anything more than pin-up/cover style standalone illustrations is on full display. Henderson, Brittney Williams, Irene Strychalski, Will Sliney, Kris Anka, probably others I'm forgetting. All of them are absolutely horrid comic book artists and I think Sliney's one of the few newer guys who wasn't plucked directly from the webcomic/online illustration world.

But that's implying Iceman is straight. When has he ever been portrayed as straight?

>and that most of these people grew up only consuming mass media like children's cartoons, sitcoms, video games and again Joss Whedon shows and you get the current state of Marvel and the poor quality writers that work on 90% of their books.

I don't know if this is true but it would explain a lot.

Up until Bendis, every writer before him wrote him as a heterosexual.

My confirmation bias is ready to 100% believe this even though there are no proofs.

Um, no. He was deeply closeted. Never straight so all of those "heterosexual" relationships were fake. You can't write a gay man as a heterosexual and Iceman has always been gay.

Dont forget Dr Strange

pssst... he's baiting you, man