What does it mean for cinema if BR2049 flops?

What does it mean for cinema if BR2049 flops?

it means normies cant understand

>if

> if

>cinema

It means nothing. Everyone already warned the studio that Blade Runner is too niche to warrant such a huge budget. For the people involved making the film, a brighter career awaits.

people just arnt going to go out to see a 2 hour and 40 minute movie anymore. doesnt mean the movies not great

>people just arnt going to go out to see a 2 hour and 40 minute movie anymore
That's not the issue.

The issue is that Blade Runner has always and will continue to be a niche franchise. For Villeneuve it was a passion project, not a new Star Wars in the making.

The sad reality of Cinema now is that the US is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest source of a movies profits. The problem with that is Americans also have the shittiest taste in movies ever
>Capeshit
>Disney movies (Animated movies, remakes etc)
>All black comedies
>Horror flicks
>Star Wars
If it doesn't fall into one of these categories, Americans won't leave their houses to watch it

it's hilarious that you think this is not a movie for normies
yeah it won't make 1 billion just 500 million, such an obscure gem!

>US is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest source of a movies profits
Wait, wasn't that pretty much always the case? Also, isn't the chinese market mattering so much a pretty new thing?

But I thought all the nerds loved BR?

>he thinks americans have a pleb taste

just wait for the chinese takeover

It means we get 4 more Avatar sequels and Marlel quipshit while foreign cinema overtakes

The budget was negotiated by Villeneuve and he was given total control, the studio knew it wouldn't make money but for them it's a "loss leader" read up on some /biz/.

Look at fucking Beauty and the Beast, Highest grossing movie of the year with a talentless actress, Emma Watson. Money != Quality

Chinese do spend a shit ton on trash like Transformers and Fast and Furious, but movies like WFTPOTA, Interstellar and the Revenant made a ton of money in China too

Meant for

It means we're sick of white males mansplaining their problems through the medium and unless you add more diversity in your film it will flop

nothing

>average sci fi flick directed by Reddit: The Director flops
>hurrr cinema is dead

What are your thoughts on lav diaz op?

Do you really expect anyone to take you seriously when you post like this?

>studio knew it wouldn't make money but for them it's a "loss leader"

How is that suppose work? I don't get why they would give any money if they weren't expecting profit

Perhaps I do not understand the economics here. I thought theaters pay to play movies. The studios already spent money to make the movie, why would they pull it early?

Most of blade runner pullback is that Imax and 3d are going to Geostorm, which is expected to be a dead duck but WB has contract commitments to release it in X number of screens.

They expect to break even with a chance for profit.

WB is making money on it since they didn't pay for it, alcon did.

Sony is making money due that they paid 90 million for overseas.

Alcon can expect 100 million from DVD/streaming, and had another 90 million from Sony.

Thus they made the production budget back even before it opened. Now they are trying to make back their promotion budget (so far they have not) and also snag some awards.

They are okay with this since it builds up their rep as making quality movies. Same reason why Syfy is spending millions on the expanse even if it not making them money, the expanse gives them creditbility while sharknado, wresling, and the magicians actually makes coin.

Beauty and the Beast made a whopping $100 millions in Japan. WTF is wrong with these people?

I went to see it today here in Norway and despite being so late, the theater was still full.

It's not a flop, it's got staying power thanks to word of mouth and good reviews.

cause other, newer movies would sell better. So they just cut it from playing at 3-4 different screenings, to only 1-2 screening room.

It's doing pretty well in Europe. It's just Amerifats refusing to see it.

>makes profit
>flop

I saw it last Thursday night at the IMAX in Stockholm. Theater was still more than half full. It's a shame the Americans didn't like it.

To add kino to their library of films they "own" rather than a profitable sandler flick

>Domestic: $68,880,203
>All Foreign: $95,580,774
>Worldwide: $164,460,977
not by much. that's just a shitty meme euros came up with. it has good word of mouth but there just isn't a huge mainstream audience crossover for classic hard sci-fi.

The breakeven is going to be $400. At this rate, it's not even going to match Fishtar.

When Wonder Woman came out, it felt like I couldn't go a day without seeing some mention of it.

The first I saw of this was articles talking about how badly it was doing.

Is ford wearing goose's jacket?

CUTE

You must recall that the movie has a specific fiances.

Alcon produced it.
Sony gets the majority of the overseas money, but paid 90 million up front for those rights.
WB takes 10% of the take to release it domestically.
Alcon will get 100 million in TV/Streaming and disc sales.

Film cost 150 to make, plus marketing.
Sony is doing all overseas marketing, and domestic marking is about 75 million.

So Alcon has a cost of 225 million in this film.

They have made 190 million already from Sony and stream/TV/Disc sales.
They made ~30 million in domestic box office,
so once blade runner makes another 5-10 million for alcon, they will break even.

The original didn't do well either. This one is similar.

Herro bait-san

But wouldn't that be a decision for each theater to make depending on how their local sales are going?

so what youre saying is that it loses money now but will make 100 million in streaming/TV/DVD in the future?

yeah, big bux with blu-ray sales + licensing to amazon/shitflix/etc.
also it hasn't even opened in all asian countries yet.

that they should have used a 1080ti because it has 11.3 teraflops

I'm sorry lads..

yep

It's a great movie and really slow paced with subtle stuff that makes the story deeper, but I thought "hard sci fi" means something like "TNG", showing and explaining technological improvements that could be possible.

I went to see it this week after work (US). 4 people in the theater, including myself.

I think this is one of the last good films in the cinema. I didn't go to the cinema for years because it's all capeshit, normie flicks or Disney shit for kids, and seeing that 2049 barely made more than it cost is depressing.

It's not a great movie. I'm not sure why giving it the title of a beloved 80's movie is supposed to make it a guaranteed blockbuster hit status and instantly turn everyone that did not like it into idiots or intentional haters. But this experiment has been attempted before with.....just about every other 80's remake/sequel so far.

>Americans also have the shittiest taste in movies ever
>all black comedies

Hold up
The demographic that sees those movies is for the most part black people
Who are you to begrudge them wanting to see something relatable on the silver screen?

Fuck this gay earth

It really seems like of all the genre fans, scifi fans have the hardest time understanding that other people do not love, live, and breathe scifi too.

Yea that's great a bunch of people dedicated every aspect of their lives to a movie thirty years ago. But that's just the fans of that one movie. Not many others like it the same way or at all.

And people are just plain not grasping the fact that people can not love everything about this too.

The less normies the better. It doesn't matter how this movie does as long as normies just fuck off so they don't ruin it.

This is true, but it is based on ticket prices.

Movie tickets cost too damn much to want to take a chance on something that everyone is pretty sure will be fucking great. And this tends to be
>Disney
>Capeshit
>Star Wars
And there are definitely enough casual horror fans to keep that genre alive too.

But things like buddy comedies, or dramas, no one wants to throw down $30-40 to go see those. They will pirate that shit.

If a ticket was say $5, then a lot of people might take a chance and see something that is not some guaranteed oscar bait or splosion flick.

Americans are literally the sole season these shit movies are still being made

Horror movies have been adapted for the ADHD ridden modern man , either shit starts to happen right at the moment or the movie is complete shit
The Poltergeist Remake for example christ what a pile of rubbish

>people complaining about american taste in movies
What are you going to do when the chinks run the show? As long as they're pandered to, they have literally zero standards other than recognizable actors/brands.

Nothing, 2049 was shit anyway.

>Americans

Yeah I doubt that would have happened if they didn't fall for the 1965 immigration act prank, ayyy lmao

Kids are a huge market.
They aren't going to watch a sequel to a 1980s cult sci fi film.
The emoji garbage also has a recognizable name and a far higher marketing budget.
With all of these advantages, it still only made 40m more globally.

What exactly are you asspained about?

Kill yourself

It's another case of
>People are liking what I don't like! Fuck this earth!

Fuck off contrarian

This whole thread is nothing but

>Why the fuck are people not liking what I love?! Cinema is dead!!!!

found the roastie

No the real problem is that the US are no longer the biggest source of movie profits. Studios would much rather dumb their movie down to appeal to a non-English speaking world market, mainly the Chinese market which is growing at a huge rate. As a European snob I'd like to say the US are the fault but they're really not here.

That's a very good thing. The Spielberg era is about to end.

We won't see serious big budget sci fi movies for a long while which sucks fucking hard.
You can expect star wars, capeshit and shitty horror movies from now on.

Yeah, we can make fun of murica all we want, but the chinks have an unprecedented level of shit taste. Just shove a chinese location or character into the movie, or show them Matt Damon and they'll be clapping and screaming in the theater.

That cinema is offically dead and gone and we will all drown in superhero flicks. I blame women who can't understand.

Hard sci fi is basically more realistic science fiction. So a movie about space travel with realistic technology would be hard sci fi.

Apparently they go for huge dumb CGI fests especially, so shit like Transformers wont be ending any time soon. Fuck mainland Chinese are the niggers of Asia.

Americans killed kino. Not women

No,

Hard science fiction is stuff that is very plausable. This can range from stuff like "The martian" (Which uses no real technology that we do not have access to at some price point). To stuff that uses stuff that is possible in theory (The Andromeda Strain, Blade Runner, BR2049, 2001, 2010, Moon)

There is a middle ground where they try to at least feel hard science fiction (The Expanse is a good example) But use some tech that beyond theory.

Soft science fiction is stuff like star trek, star wars, stargate and so on where a lot of tech is implausible under current understanding of science.

why not just make movies cheaper?