Is Conan kino?

Is Conan kino?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w2gcpFU-78k
youtube.com/watch?v=oq9dspskCEE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yes

Kino? Not, is a good movie, not a shit from reddit.

Max man core kino. Strive to be him

first one is kino
second one is a bit worse
red sonja is really bad

>ridddle of steel
absolute classic

Absolutely

Definitely, its the best fantasy movie ever.

>tfw only the first one is on netflix

its the quintessential western male fantasy

10/10 absolute kino

Is it kino? Here's your answer:

youtube.com/watch?v=w2gcpFU-78k

with out a doubt

It is. Very good.
The most beautiful revenge story ever told in a movie.

>soundtrack
That Basil. That soundtrack. The percurssion use. Explendid. Next to Red October, it was one of his best works. The best, for me.
Even today, every time I start to hear "Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis..." I get a chill down my spine. A good one.

Have to leave for now, leave you with one of the best scenes:
youtube.com/watch?v=oq9dspskCEE

2nd one is worth watching just for music alone. And Arnie

yeah its still decent, just not as good as the first

They really fucked up a few things there.
First of all that shitty comic relief sidekick instead of based subotai.

post Conan drawings and shit

Those thighs are pretty muscular.

It's one of my favourite films. The part where the priest thinks he is getting some Arnie boipussy and Arnie leads him on is great, the whole thing is great. #Krom4Lyfe

Posting some choice past conan talk on Sup Forums

>We need to understand Conan's dad and get context on what he was saying at the beginning. Conan's dad was a hardy family man who wanted to protect his wife, his son, and his village. What steel represented to him was a tool to protect all of that, and it was trustworthy because it would never betray him. A steel sword will never have delusions of grandeur or go partying with whores and booze out in the city. A sword is simple and sturdy, just like Conan's dad.

>But Conan's dad got killed. He was just a simple peasant. He wasn't the ubermensch. So Conan traveled a different path, most against his will. At the end of that path he overcame the failings of his father's philosophy, represented by breaking his father's sword when it was used against him. Then he ends the tale by walking out and decapitating a cult leader. Absolutely badass.

>The father cultivates the son to be honest and (relatively) upright. But he did not have the strength of will to survive in a world of vultures and black cult leader snake men. What Conan needed that his father lacked was an indomitable willpower, a conviction created through years of hard slavery and a desire for revenge.

>This movie is about finding strength through confronting the reality of life and all of its hostile bullshit.

Any good Conan lit for a moviefag? I know it exists, but there is so much I don't even know where to start.

>(Thulsa Doom) was in his world what we would consider the Antichrist in ours, so yes he was. He was the will of what we would consider Satan in our world incarnate in his world.

>The movie was created with genuine understanding of spiritual philosophy, and the characters reflected that. The symbolism is found throughout the movie. Especially the symbol of the ouroboros, which we see in Dooms banner.

>The movie is entirely spiritual in nature, and the core conflict is Conan finding the truth of his soul, then engaging in a battle for the soul of the world. Steel in the movie is a metaphor for the soul, with the Riddle of Steel embodying Conan's quest for self discovery.

>In the Gnostic and Hermetic school of thought, the Oruboros which is expressed as a snake consuming it's own tail, represents the duality of existence, this notion of cyclical reality where death leads to rebirth, destruction leads to renewal, and everything that is will return to what it was and continue the cycle forever, as all existence is one.

>The truth of this philosophy hidden in darkness is that it is all a lie created to confound and destroy the souls of humanity. This cycle is a false reality that leads to one consuming their soul and destroying themselves. Thulsa Doom is the head of this snake leading the world to consume it's very soul. Conan's purpose in the movie is to break from this circle of destruction, cutting the head from the snake freeing humanity from consuming itself.

>The theme of destruction and rebirth repeating forever in a cycle (which Conan broke) is also present in the orgy scene when they are being fed human soup.

>The decadence of the snake cult is perpetuated upon controlling the cycle of life and death.

>#Krom4Lyfe
>Muh mountain
>Muh riddle

>Conans dad explained to him that steel was stronger than flesh, because you could trust steel because steel was strong where flesh was weak.

>Doom told Conan that the flesh was stronger, because steel was nothing without the hand to wield it.

>It is what you believe that drives your will, because what you will is what you intend, and what you believe causes what you intend. This gives both flesh and steel it's power. Conan realizes both interpretations were wrong.

>Then he fucking chopped that guys head off.

===

>Conan is one of my all time favorite films. I love this thread.

>I think at its core, the film is all about individualism and what man can achieve through sheer hard work, strength of both body and mind, will, determination and ambition. From a slave who was destined to die, to becoming a king, Conan is the manifestation of individuality itself.

>Conan over the course of the film represents the good, or willingness to do what is just and right. Thulsa represents the evil and the willingness to do harm and what is ultimately corrupt.

>Conan fights with his strength. Thulsa fights using rhetoric and persuasion.

>People were, or still are, quick to write this film off as a cheesy sword and sorcery movie, yet there is so much more to it than just that.

>Shame the sequel was basically like a D&D adventure.

>Steel and flesh hold no weight in the equation. The true answer is the iron strength of will that guides the flesh that holds the steel. Without a strong will the latter two are completely useless.

>That was what the sword kata / battle meditation scene after Conan's resurrection. Slowly closing his fist and marveling and contemplating on his own prowess and the mind that controlled it, the fact that he held absolute command over his flesh and steel.

>And the user "reading too deeply into" the esoteric and New Age symbolism is perfectly right. But also the movie is about a reptillian race of shapeshifters infiltrating, poisoning and destroying the human race.

===

>Agreed, but John Millius was responsible for the vision needed to make a movie in which Poledouris music could be a key element.

>It's funny to say this talking about a movie in which people gets hacked and slashed, but when I think of Conan, the adjective i'd use to define the movie is "lyrical", and it's a lyrism that comes only from the union of images and music, it's an artistic vision perfectly realized; not the most expensive production, not the deepest ideas, not even the most surprising story, but the fucking best movie in a cinematographic sense.

Yes it's Kino...
And if you disagree your simply a faggot

Tower of the Elephant

>muh riddle

t. roastie who will never understand

>For anyone who actually wants to know the answer;

>In Conan's life there are two competing philosophies - Flesh and Steel. His father and his Cimmerian culture have taught him that steel, gifted to his people from Krom, is the only true way of life. You life by the sword, die by the sword, nothing else matters but the power of the sword. Very conservative.

>Thulsa Doom support the Flesh philosophy. Thulsa believes that all that matters is the human body, the human mind and the human experience. What does the power of the Steel matter without the Flesh that wields? Thulsa and his people are hedonists, they worship the ego above all else and believe that creating a great fire (cultural, political, philosophical) that they can burn down the World and bring about a new age of unrivaled prosperity - like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

>The Riddle of Steel is the question of which is greater - Flesh, or Steel? I'll answer in my next post.

>The answer to the Riddle of Steel is a third position - Conan's position.

>Thulsa asks Conan - "who could be your Father if not me? I gave birth to you, gave you life."

>In many ways he is correct - Thulsa has shaped Conan's life in an uncountable amount of ways, equaled only by his biological mother and father.

>When Conan fights on the Pyre he witnesses his father's sword shatter. It's at that point that Conan realises that neither the Steel or the Flesh is stronger.

>The answer to the Riddle is neither - the only true force in this life is WILL, or WILLPOWER. Conan combines both the Steel and Flesh at multiple times across the film and has mastered them both thoroughly. In the end, as Conan realises, the only thing that matters is the will to act, the will to create and the will to kill. Without the Steel it is hard to kill, but the power of the Steel comes from the force that runs through it as a result of willpower. Likewise, the flesh is lost without willpower behind it, and is incapable of truly conquering without the Steel.

>All that matters is what you. Neither answer is correct, all that matters is willpower. This is the reason the film opens up with a quote from Nietzsche.

Anyway that's it

He meant that the 4 winds were better.
He's right you just have to look at the position of the eternal sky.

Thanks, user.

>4 wind faggots
Go back to Harkania bitch ass manlets

Great read thanks

It was actually one of my favourite films until i read the original stories.

They are awesome and deserve a faithful adaption. One of my favourite excerpts from the stories is when he has revenge on a woman who sold him out. He kills her man and then drops her from a window into a ditch where all the sewage, trash and dead bodies of the city are collected; laughing manically as he does it.

Great scene in the comics based on that, too, I'm trying to find it

This image is inspired by a scene from 'The Scarlet Citadel'. Red Nails is one of the bloodiest Conan stories. People of the Black Circle is a great sorcery tale.

That is good! That is good.

Comics are fun too

Its from Rogues in the House.

Conan the Destroyer also took the idea of a sorcerers palace with a horrible beast from it.

Yes. While it's not a faithful adaptation of Howard's Conan, it is a great movie.

Well the movies mixed and matched bits and pieces from various things, not to mention that Conan's had countless other authors since Howard's death

Conan is THE kino.

>snownigger getting this triggered by superior hyrkanian horsearchery

Arnold said in one interview, that Red Sonja was the movie he used to punish his kids if they were naughty.

He was actually meant only to have a cameo in it, but got kind of a tricked in to be the lead along Nielsen.

Kushites, am I right?

Thanks. I hope this movie is never forgotten. no current flic can have a fraction of the significance, symbolism and "epicness" that Conan the Barbarian had.

It was Epic in it's own way. Not through cgi but with fiery acting (not always good) and battles that actually mattered.

And the music. Oh, the music...

Arnold is a god tier actor

These ones are also really nice I could find half the issues in my country still looking for the other half.

Yeah.

They also rewrote his original stories, some that were unpublished and some that were unfinished.

We only got to read his original stories in the last decade or two.

Speaking of which, remember that time Red Sonja took over Mary Jane's body?

It's a shame that Dune happened, sinking DeLaurentiis and killing the Conan project

>/fit/ learns the awful truth

I really liked the battles desu.
It looked believable but not boring, today they make every battle in fantasy movies an exagerated cgi fest.
The hobbit really went overboard with it.

Why do they always make Conan so scrawny looking?

In the books, he is described as having a bull neck and a barrel chest with huge muscular but limber arms and legs.

I hope Arnold does king Conan, it could legit be kino if Denis directs it

kys

I don't think he's scrawny, but it is worth mentioning that most of these comics take place in Conan's relative youth
It should also be mentioned that Conan is drawn looking the exact same from age 16 to 66 but whatever

The cover doesn't really look like how he's drawn in the actual comic itself.
In it he's a beast and they accentuate how muscular he is.

Actually they were working on it but the production stopped, I think arnie himself said so.

One of the worst crossovers I've ever read was Conan/Captain America.

Conan is sent to future and ends up in New York, where he rises to in sort of a gang boss power. Then CA tries to take him out of business.

At least they are better than the original illustrations.

Kushite please, it's fucking great

Solomon Kane kino when?

Has the author of Vampire Hunter D admitted that he stole his character from these stories yet?

Wtf is that blonde woman supposed to be zenobia?

'How do you figure that?' retorted the Cimmerian. 'I have but to wait until dark, climb down the other side of this crag and melt into the forest. I can crawl through the line the Picts have thrown around this hill, and return to the fort to report you all slain by the savages—which will shortly be truth!' Zarono and Strom stared at each other in pallid silence. 'But I'm not going to do that!' Conan roared. 'Not because I have any love for you dogs, but because a white man doesn't leave white men, even his enemies, to be butchered by Picts.'

--The Black Stranger

Also:
“You said I was a barbarian,” he said harshly, “and that is true, Crom be thanked. If you
had had men of the outlands guarding you instead of soft-gutted civilized weaklings, you
would not be the slave of a black pig this night. I am Conan, a Cimmerian, and I live by
the sword’s edge. But I am not such a dog as to leave a white woman in the clutches of a
black man; and though your kind call me a robber, I never forced a woman against her
consent. Customs differ in various countries, but if a man is strong enough, he can enforce
a few of his native customs anywhere. And no man ever called me a weakling!”

--The Vale of Lost Women

I doubt the pulp rags used that much money for the covers, so it was unlikely the artists even knew what the stories were about and just did stuff on bulk.

The soundtrack alone is worth watching the movie for. It's kino in itself.

All the popular ones are good

You're better off with grabbing one of the old books with a few stories in, they order them nicely so they are grouped by region

I bought two and the first volume had Red Nails and the second had Beyond the Black River. Both excellent stories. I can't remember the name but the one where he fights his way up a mountain to kill a bunch of shapeshifting wizards is also good

holy shit this is hilarious

how many reps/sets of fighting against death do I need to do? and where to I find a training location? also what kinda diet I need

>I can't remember the name but the one where he fights his way up a mountain to kill a bunch of shapeshifting wizards is also good

That is People of the Black Circle.

The Del Ray editions contain Howards original unaltered text. The Fantasy Masterworks collections are good as a cheap alternative.

Proof that comics have always been pozzed shit.

How did Arnold start his career with pure kino?

In his autobiography he talked about how he held out for good roles. He had been offered a ton of villain roles before Conan and denied them all because he wanted to be a leading man

Hercules in New York?

I've never seen this. Is it bad fun or just terrible?

Its Arnie when he was 20 and couldnt speak English, its a blast

It's ULTIMATE Nietzschean kino.

He's not as small as Wolverine, and even he could bang Red Sonja

James Purefoy tried to kino it. It was still a shitty movie with a bootleg balrog as final boss.

what comic please user

That's just fanart, friend, sorry. I'd recommend the Dark Horse run of Conan if you like.

>Conan fucking cuts up Captain America and it ends with Conan holding his comrade

That edition of Chronicles of Conan is initially set during Conan's youth, later on he stops wearing the helmet and gets significantly bulkier.

Any other human on earth would look like a retarded autist if they attempt this.

I only recently figured out that the 6th day and end of days are two different movies.

also am I the only one who liked Maggie?

Beyond kino, only an artist-poet could create such a masterpiece. You will never, ever see its like again.

>2011's Conan sucked big time.
>There is simply no hope for a good or even decent Conan this decade nor the next.

Cruel world we live in...

>logan the faggot