A fan asked if Mignola could share any anecdotes from working with Guillermo del Toro on the “Hellboy” films...

>A fan asked if Mignola could share any anecdotes from working with Guillermo del Toro on the “Hellboy” films. “There’s always been a little competition between me and del Toro, and I looked at him one day and said: you win,” he said. “Because I know that someday if I get run over by a bus, Entertainment Tonight or something is going to run a story where they say, ‘Mike Mignola, creator of Hellboy is dead,’ and they’re going to show a picture of Ron Perlman.” Mignola said that he realized when a movie is made of your work, you’re always going to be in the shadow of that mass media representation

That's true, even the google results change completely once a movie is out, and the movies become the "definitive version" in the general consciousness. Look at Dark Knight.

How do you feel about that? Sad about it? Don't give a shit?

"General consciousness" isn't infinite. In time movie adaptions will fade from it and the only people left thinking about "Hellboy" will be the ones who consider the original comics true works of art. Del Toro may have made alot of money off of Mignola's work, but Mignola will be remembered as the artist that told the story.

To be fair, I think the big winner here is Ron Pearlman. People remember stars like what they had for breakfast but the average joe moviegoer does't give two fucks about directors

This.

Besides, movies don't trump everything. Aspects of a character that remain in the general consciousness are made of up many different sources. Cartoons, comics, games, live action. All of it. It all morphs together into an "idea" of a character. That's how icons are made.

>the average joe moviegoer does't give two fucks about directors
Which I always found kind of odd. They're the ones responsible for the "vision" so they should be the main point of focus, but I understand why people focus on the stars.

When it becomes impossible to understand for me is when people like a bad movie because some star they like is in it.

Mignola is rich forever because of Hellnoy. Del Toro is not.

>When it becomes impossible to understand for me is when people like a bad movie because some star they like is in it.

Because you like actor's performances and the movie is worth watching for those performances? Autism.

That's not always true though.

Besides, i'm talking about the people who will like it regardless of performance, based simply on the fact that this star's name is attached ot it.

We talking Mignola?
Anyone know if I should just start getting those Hell on Earth trades or if they're making omnibus editions for it?

No, that's literally always true.

Why are we using a picture from the Nextwave issue where Warren Ellis references he once did a gig with the Suicide Girls?

Real question is why are we not always using pictures from Nextwave?

>They're the ones responsible for the "vision" so they should be the main point of focus

See, I always found it strange that the movie industry considers the director to be creator-prime of a work.

In a situation where something isn't an adaptation, and the writer and director aren't the same guy, how the fuck is the writer not the guy who came up with the god damned idea?

Because writers are introverted pencil-necks who can be pushed around.

True. really it's a collaborative project. Thing is the director at least has more to do with how a movie turns out than the actor does. At least in most cases.

>trump
Ugh ... Sup Forums is that way >>>

Don't be retarded.

And people like actors enough to like whole entire movies because of their performances.

Because the director controls the cameras, and that a far more important factor in determining how enjoyable a movie is to watch than the dialogue.

>At least in most cases.
>I cannot read

dialogue can make a great movie, ''cameras'' don't

I'm not surprised you can't, autist.

Oh so you don't know anything about movies.

Alright then, bye.

This is true. That's why trailers and posters always have "from the director who did this other movie you might remember". General audiences don't give a shit, apart from a handful of the most well-known names, like Spielberg for example.

>I...I'll insult him! that'll show'im!

>Look at Dark Knight

>there is such a thing as a definite version of a cape trademark

toppest kek.