Not sure if it's Sup Forums but the first single of this phase in Gorillaz has been uploaded today. Not animated...

Not sure if it's Sup Forums but the first single of this phase in Gorillaz has been uploaded today. Not animated, but it's got shadow puppets? Also Spongebob.

youtube.com/watch?v=CDUrpPvU1_4

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_ue714d1V6I
youtube.com/watch?v=Q3dvbM6Pias
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>That video

I'm glad they're back, but I'd more excited if they didn't start off so experimental.

Wouldn't be the first time
youtube.com/watch?v=_ue714d1V6I

rock it was my least fav for a while, but is now in my top 10

>I'm glad they're back, but I'd more excited if they didn't start off so experimental.

You certainly can't dance to it, but it's definitely Gorillaz.

But at least that's catchy.

It's not really single material, is it? Not that I mind, I hope most of the album is like this. Gorillaz have never been about adhering to style and their own self-image

No idea who the fuck Benjamin Clementine is though, some spoken word dude? His delivery is a little off and doesn't gel too well

Also what the fuck is with the Spongebob faggotry at the end

Hallelujah money!

Fuck this shit. When are we getting more Noodle?

I hope soon. She might bring the Gorillaz back on track.

A weird first single, but I dig it nonetheless. Hope we get an animated music video too.

HAAAALLELUJAH
HALLELUJAH MONEYYYYY

>feat.

There better not be a lot of guest artists this time. That's what ruined Plastic Beach.

Also, I'm pretty sure they took footage of a cosplayer I saw on YouTube.

I like it. I personally think something like Do Ya Thing is more catchy, but this is a song I can chill to, which is what I've been looking for in new music lately.

Most beautiful YTP I've ever seen.

Shit. You made me laugh.

DUDE TRUMP IS EVIL LMAO

But seriously, I'm convinced now Gorillaz is creatively bankrupt. It feels like most of their recent work sounds like they just do chiptune beats for some other artist's song. I just want to listen to a Gorillaz song and think of the virtual members actually performing this.

But there's still a lot unknown about this new album and they may have wanted their first single to be controversial to bring attention. The next single will probably be a catchy pop song, hopefully fully animated.

Animation-wise, it doesn't appear to have a big budget. That Noodle Jaguar commercial was kinda wonky, but I like how it looks like a return to form.

Consider Gorrilaz less as a real band and more as a foil for popular musical trends at the time

Pop music is in a phase of creative bankruptcy? Gorrilaz is gonna comment on and critique that

They have always been much more about being reflective of the musical attitudes current or on the upswing of when their albums release and this has been the case for every single one since the self titled.

That being said I really hope we have more in store for us because I don't want a whole album of this.

It felt good but eeiry,maybe symbolic.

Feels like something that'll play when when world war 3 happens.

Hallelujah Money.

Hopefully, they just wanted to shit this out the day before the inauguration so they can have their say in current political matters and it won't be on the album. May it be nothing but fun from here on out.

You mean to tell me that Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach, Stylo, To Binge, White Flag, Some Kind of Nature, Empire Ants, Cloud of Unknowing, and Superfast Jellyfish aren't amazing songs?

Because you'd be lying.

>lol having a job and living wage is evil lol

It's not a single tho. This was like a little side project I suppose. Might not even be in the album.

It wasn't what I'd expect from a Gorillaz song, but it has stuck with me and feels appropriate.

>It feels like most of their recent work sounds like they just do chiptune beats for some other artist's song.

But isn't this the first song they have released in a long ass time? Also what does Trump have to do with anything? KKK = Trump now?

I liked it. I know people will be pissed about the political message but they've been doing shit like this since Demon Days. What the hell do they think Dirty Harry was about?

>Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach
I wouldn't call it amazing.

>Stylo
Pretty overrated imo. I know I'll get some heat from this, but Bobby Womack's part is just too cheesy and didn't fit well with the rest of the song.

>White Flag
It starts off so good, but the cringe rap was like something straight out Reddit. Second worst track.

>Some Kind of Nature
There was no reason for Lou Reed to be on it. Maybe they would've had enough money to finish the Rhinestone Eyes music vid if they hadn't gotten so many pointless guest artists. Still a good song.

>To Binge
>Empire Ants
>Superfast Jellyfish
You got me there.

White Flag is the most conflicted I've ever been about a song.

>so experimental
Feels more like an interlude song in between more substantial songs. It'll probably sound better in full context of the entire album.

>what does trump have to do with anything

Here is our tree
That primitively grows
When we go to bed
Scare crows from the Far a-East
Come to eat its tender fruits
I have thought that the
Best way to protect our tree
Is by building walls
Walls like unicorns in full glory and galore
Even stronger than the walls of Jericho
Be glad then my friend
That in a few
We shall reap abundantly
What we’d always dreamt of havin
Enough of the starvin
It is love
That is the root of all evil
Not our tree
And thank you my friend
For trusting me

Hallelujah Money
Hallelujah Money

How will we know
When the morning comes
We are still humanz.
How will we know?
How will we dream?
How will we love?
How will we know?

Don’t worry my friend
If this be the end
Then so shall it be
Until we say so
Nothing will move
Ah, don’t worry
It is not against our morals
It’s legally tender
Touch my friend
What the whole world, and whole beasts of nations desire: power

Hallelujah Money
Cross the chemtrail sun
Hallelujah Money

Just like everyone else
The Syrian orchestra is great and then the rapping starts...

>Is by building walls
Honestly it should have been clear at this point.

About half of those are easily some of their weaker songs. What's wrong with you?

I hope there will be more eerie ones like this.

>Also what does Trump have to do with anything?
>The band has issued this song on the eve of the Inauguration of President-Elect Donald Trump to serve as commentary on a politically-charged, historical moment.

I liked it alright.
But, if this track is going to be setting the tone for the rest of the album... I have reservations.
Also, why did they choose THIS track for a single? It is impossible to sing along with. It's never going to be successful other then the "The Gorillaz are popular" tracktion it'll have.

>Also, why did they choose THIS track for a single?
It's the day before the inauguration.

What? You can't hum and sing "Hallelujah Money"?

>Damon Albarn trying to be political again
It's hard to take him seriously considering how quickly he swept all that Free Tibet dickriding under the carpet when he got the chance to do music for the Beijing Olympics.

You could argue that this is the most overtly political they've been, detailing their intentions in the video's description.

Songs like Dirty Harry might be political but people might not pick up on that.

There's also the conversation on what things people call "political".

Yeah I don't know why people are suddenly pissed about Gorillaz making a political statement?

Dirty Harry was as subtle as a flamethrower.

I'm pretty sure it's the Lebanese Nation Orchestra.

And... I like the rapping. Is it really that bad? I think it's catchy and fun.

>when he got the chance to do music for the Beijing Olympics.
You are stupid

No, Gorillaz has been doing songs like this for a long time. Check out "Stop the Dams"

>Here is our tree
>That primitively grows
>When we go to bed
>Scare crows from the Far a-East
>Come to eat its tender fruits

This sounds like something Trump would say at his inauguration.

>Cross the chemtrail sun
Oh ffs...

I never heard of him, ether, but his voice is amazing. I just hope the final composition is nothing like this, music wise. The lyrics are a bit preachy for my taste but it probably wouldn't bother me as much without the cringy imagery going with it. This is Dirty Harry all over again for me in that regard.

Back on track? Plastic Beach was not a Noodle album, and it was amazing. Better than Demon Days.

A-fucking-men

And Sweepstakes is awfully fun, too. Great humor behind that track.

You fuck off about Stylo. Why is it that any truly powerful track that gets picked for a single has to have some contrarian calling it 'over rated' like they're proving how truly patrician they are?

Anyhow, Rhinestone Eyes probably didn't get a video because EMI, their label, was going bankrupt and the album sales were poor compared to previous albums. Lack of mainstream marketing that labels tend to facilitate was likely a factor. They had these grand plans to maybe even do a movie but it all fell apart, including the relationship between the creators.

Love the dude's voice, hate the preachy, cheesy, spoken word lyrics. I mean, hell, I agree with the angle the guy is going for, but this is just so poorly written.

Spongebob in my Gorillaz?

It's more likely than you think.

Oh God it does

I liked it. They're rapping about Plastic Beach, and aren't taking themselves so seriously. I think it's a nice piece that sets up the setting of the album and what Murdoc created storyline wise. These aren't just songs.

Why is no one talking about how the characters and storyline play into this, btw? This is /co not /mu.

Wow. That was awful, but I think it could have been good if 2D had been singing it instead of that weird guy.

Still, if this is what the entire album is like then I'm going to give it a pass. I absolutely will not suffer another The Fall.

I am really dreading this being a conspiracy theory obsessed album. Like we really need more artists dropping NWO related symbolism to generate controversy.

That's Gorillaz in general. Damon I feel is good at good hooks but the lyrics as a whole aren't really the best. But Hallelujah Money just doesn't get you the same way as songs like Dirty Harry or Kids with Guns which are way catchier.
Nah that's way too artsy fartsy for Trump.
It'd be more like
"America is sleeping. We're asleep and while we're sleeping (makes a pillow with his hands and lays his head on it) They're coming from China and Japan and over there. And they're gobbling up our jobs and the fruits of our labor. They are. It's happening"

The East thing throws me. It sounds more like it was about Israel to me, but then they released it timed as a response to Trump... Granted, I'm not a Trump supporter, mind, but I am sick of how liberals simply attribute every ill of the world to Trump, and make assumptions about where he stands on issues or what he intends to do. It really is sickening. I worry about the Trump presidency but I hope he will prove me WRONG. I'm convinced these silly lib fucks want to be proven RIGHT even if it means every worse case scenario coming true.

That is some ridiculous hair

I mean it could be Uproxx doing that and it's more general conspiracy theory stereotypes with a little bit of Trump thrown in but not JUST him. But the Far East is China.also Jamie really doesn't like Trump. So there's that too

Reminder there are no checks or balances on the president using nukes.

I'm assuming not every single line is supposed to be a direct metaphor from something happening irl. The east line could just be a vague reference to "somewhere far away and foreign".

Ehhhhh, I wasn't that into it. Kinda boring.

Maybe I just need to listen to it a few more times but it didn't really grab me.

I loved Plastic Beach, my favorite album of theirs. Hell, I love all their main albums. I just hope the rest is better than this.

I really hope it's going to be some stand alone thing and not the theme of the album, though.

How does that relate to what I said? I know that, but I don't really follow what you want me to get from that conversation wise.

>We're asleep and while we're sleeping (makes a pillow with his hands and lays his head on it)
I laughed and then I felt bad because I could see him doing that.

I feel like he's done that or something similar. He's a very.....animated speaker.

Character wise, to the best of my understanding, the self title was the pov of all the characters mixed together, Demon Days was mostly Noodle and 2D but Murdoc tried to take credit for it, Plastic Beach is pure Murdoc, and The Fall is pure 2D.

Best confirmed. Plastic Beach was sorely under rated. Plastic Beach > Self-Titled > Demon Days > The Fall

Maybe that's why liberals are so over the top about him, especially considering he's easily triggered (eg. SNL)

It's one thing to worry about that, it's another thing to make up complete and utter bullshit and not try to sway him or work with him. They are being ineffective, as always, and shooting themselves in the foot.

If it makes you feel any better, the stupid ones are usually just a loud vocal minority.

Agreed.

I actually wasn't TOO into the Self Titled before, but lately I've gotten REALLY into it after giving it more of chance.

But I just fuckin love Plastic Beach.

You bring up a good point with how others are refusing to work with him. All of Obama's administration are leaving their positions just to spite Trump where they should have stayed because now Trump is hiring people that liberals are very worried about.

Makes no difference, Trump would just fire them if they stayed.

Exactly. Protest... that's all the left knows how to do. They've literally given away all their power. Last election they put everything into Hillary, too. They had the nerve to tell us that if we disagree with Trump, vote straight ticket Democrat, or else. In some states we didn't even have SERIOUS Dem. candidates to consider! And they wonder why they lost everything. No, they want to say it's the fault of Independent voters who never owed the Democratic Party Establishment a single god damn thing.

So yeah, liberal artists and celebrities circle jerking themselves into a coma over Trump is just part of the feedback loop. I'll be awfully put out if an album I'm this excited for turns out to be part of the mindless fucking reactionary droning.

Thing is, he has expressed that he wants some liberals on his team, and that he wants to work across the isle. Trump said whatever it took to get elected, but he's never been a true Republican and has no consistent ideology. He's a populist who wants to be loved and celebrated. But no, identity politics is all anyone seems to care about in this day. God forbid anyone get 'called out' on twitter for offending an sjw shithead by working with 'the enemy' to mitigate real damage.

Apparently this isn't gonna be a part of the album.

We should bring back the Weather Underground.

I thought he DID fire the ones willing to stay behind?

I don't think that's the message they're sending here senpai...

Well I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

I really liked it.

Honestly, I think some /x/ type stuff would be perfect for Gorillaz, given that their members consist of
>A devout Satanist
>A government bio-weapon
>A man who has been possessed by at least 13 ghosts at once

And then 2D's just like "Yeah, lizawd people, crazy innit?"

I will say, I hated plastic beach at first. It seemed a bit all over the place. but it really grew on me. The songs are all really catchy.

If MUH MONEY is any indication, I'm probably going to hate this new album too. But i might appreciate it more later.

I mean maybe we'll luck out.
The last album was supposed to have a bit of an environmentalist message and the whole Show Business Phoniness shtick among other things but I feel it was relatively easy to ignore. I wouldn't say hidden but Damon isn't usually so literal so you can choose to ignore the message if you wish .

Would've liked it better if it was sung by 2-D, this guy just doesn't really fit the song in my opinion.
I'm glad they're back though.

It's not that it was easy to ignore, it's that it was done well, and handled subtly instead of being preachy. There's nothing wrong with music having some underlying themes and messages, it's all in how it's handled.

I love supernatural stuff, and a bit of social commentary isn't bad if it's done well. I don't need a liberal Alex Jones soundtrack.

Chem trails. Seriously. Can't wait for the the hit single Rocket Fuel.

Oh for fuck's sake... You're basically saying 'hey, you know the obnoxious shit the far right are talking about doing that has many of us worried? Lets do that, but with SJWs!' Fuck your shit. Especially the terrorism and rioting angle... you militant leftists only legitimize the concerns and claims of conservatives. Chimping out with molotovs instead of chimping out with picket signs is still chimping out.

>Can't wait for the the hit single Rocket Fuel.
what about Rock-it
or stop the dams
or kids with guns
or the rest of Demon Days you fucking retard

Good songs

>don't like the sound of the song
>"Bet you just like Feel Good Inc and Clint Eastwood"
>"you're not a real Gorillaz fan"
>80 comment long back and forth over politics

Holy shit that comment section is cancer.

I meant Jet Fuel, not Rocket Fuel, and it was meant as a joking reference to 'Jet fuel can't melt steel beams'.

Rock It seems to be about self destruction, lyric wise. Demon Days may be hit and miss, and a tad preachy, but it wasn't a conspiracy theory circle jerk, ether, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Hey, Big Dummy here, is that a Trump puppet at 3:07?

I didn't notice it first time. I think you're right.

Anyhow, fuck this shit, lets see what we can find out about phase 4. I hope that one user is right about this being a stand alone single or something and not on the album.

Reminds me of this.

Like this one?

>Rocket Fuel (flashes back to Rocket Juice and The Moon)
That was a good album

Eh, that wasn't too great. The spoken word stuff didn't really work for me when he tried to sing it. Near the middle of the song when he started just talking it worked out a bit better, but overall it was still sorta weak.

There was some cool instrumental stuff going on to be sure, but it didn't really feel like Albarn at his best.

I hope this won't reflect the rest of the album, as many others are theorizing.

I hope they didn't blow the whole album's budget on licensing that Spongebob clip at the end though.

>IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE "DARE" THAT MEANS IT'S SHIT

>it's a gosh dang song about the Trump card

hey, remember this?

youtube.com/watch?v=Q3dvbM6Pias

>The government bioweapon Noodle

I hate how they are going down a "Noodle is settling for an ordinary life now". I mean, fuck that shit, she's a fucking bad ass cartoon character with a backstory that's basically Master Chief lite. She shouldn't get to have a normal life. Her definition of normal should be radically different from what we consider normal.

Didn't she just kill a demon or something before the band reformed?