What does /tg/ think about John Carpenter? Does he stand among the greats or was he just lucky on a couple of films?

what does /tg/ think about John Carpenter? Does he stand among the greats or was he just lucky on a couple of films?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3YZ60mQA4Q8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Great. His filmography is hit-or-miss but he's no hack, he has a tone & style that's all his own. Luck has nothing to do with his good films, the bad ones are just risks that didn't pan out.

When's his next album coming out?

youtube.com/watch?v=3YZ60mQA4Q8

the only people that don't like carpenter films are either

1.2serious4u crowd that think garbage like Knight of Cups was great

2. people who hate the whole 80s aesthetic and don't like him because he had a huge part in it,aka fags

>he's still alive
holy shit I'd swear that he died like last year or something, fuckin mandela effect

Halloween alone puts him in Greatness status. It's the highest grossing indie film of all time. His style is just so much more personal and raw then your traditional hollywood director.

Nigga what the fuck is /tg/?

Probably thinking of Wes Craven

1. Knight of Cups IS great.
2. Carpenter is a fantastic filmaker and The Thing is one of my favorites.
Enough with the false dichotomies mate.

you're probably right

Dark Star is one of my favorite films.

JC died last month

Love his films and music. Just solid, all-around.

way too far ahead of his time

Seriously? It just came out yesterday. It's all his old scores reworked with this band.

he's da bomb

Incorrect.

I really don't think I've seen any misses in his filmography. Granted, I haven't seen much of his 90s and beyond work, which happens to be the work most people are critical of him for.

He had a great run from Halloween through They Live. Definitely great. Almost all great directors have a 10-20 year period where they kill it and everything after is shit. It's the exception, not the rule, when a director is great his whole life. Most have a burst of creative and physical energy and then it's over.

The Fog

The Fog is amazing.

To many nails hit to be a fluke, the guy cannot be stopped. Ledgo.

How so? I guess it's been too long for me to really talk about it.

Halloween
Escape from New York
The Thing
The Fog
Christine
Starman
Big Trouble in Little China
Price of Darkness

These were all from 1978 -- 1988.

Also, he did the soundtrack for a lot of these. Dude was the fucking man. There is NO doubt.

If you need it explained to you, you are a turbo pleb or not a fan of horror, or both.

Oh yeah Halloweens a piece of shit too. I enjoyed watching Mary Jo Pehl and Master Pancake rip it to shreds.

In The Mouth of Madness was also fucking great as well.

Has a great style and his filmmaking is immaculate. Not the most empathetic or personal director but the same could be said of someone like Kubrick. In a way I guess he's the genre film's Kubrick

Is Starman worth a watch, then? Loved everything else on your list but never saw that one

Assault on Precinct 13 is pretty damn good too

Legitimately my favorite American director. It's a shame That, for the most part, his movies don't get the recognition they deserve. Inceedible musician as well. Will be remembered as one of the all time greats, and not just in the horror genre.

He's fantastic at making films and his music is pretty rad as well. Can't wait to see him in concert in a couple weeks. I'd have gone to see him on Halloween, but Los Angeles on a Halloween night? Fuck that.

FP recognized for truth. Like comedy director Mel Brooks, Carpenter Hits and Misses.

I agree with Sup Forums on several of the usual Hits. Now let me share a spicy opinion that seems to stand athwart the average poster: I've never liked The Fog. Always found it dull. For me, this one actually /bores/ as few Carpenter flicks do; I tried it again a few years ago and again found it to be a slog, didn't finish.

He has some shit movies (namely his last ones), but his best are absolute classics.

But he was right. You prove him right because you like Carpenter AND stuff like Malik.

JC died for ours sins

Carpenter flicks tiered

>the only thing in the universe all of Sup Forums can agree is good tier
The thing

>the GOAT tier
They live
Big trouble in little china
Halloween

>Great tier
Escape from NY
Christine
In the mouth of madness
Assault on precinct 13

>Good tier
Darkstar
Starman
The fog
that one vampire flick I forget the name of
Prince of darkness

>Misunderstood masterpiece tier
Escape from LA

>Shit tier
Anything not mentioned above

His best films are....

The Thing
Dark Star
The Fog

While They Live was his last good movie. Never had much personality as a Director but solid in an old studio way!!!FACT!!!

>that one vampire flick I forget the name of

I don't like Assault, Escape from New York/LA or anything else he did that focused on action because his camera work wasn't dynamic enough. He great with Horror because he moves his camera slowly but doesn't have the pacing for something like The Terminator!!!FACT!!!

I'm not really a fan of his campaigns, there's no enemy or location variety

Might have actually been called john carpenter's vampires

what does secret /tg/ handshake smell like

You mean John Carpenter's VAMPIRES?

all his movies are either decent or great....except The Ward. It looks like it was directed by some amateur film graduate. I think Carpenter is pretty mad with hollywood, because most of his movies flopped at the box oficce, and then once they got a cult following they suddently get remade...the thing, Assault on Precinct 13, The Fog, not to mention the upcoming reboots of ecape and big trouble.
it's not a carpenter film, it's your typical alien visits earth kinda film. it's decent. it is what is it. you're not missing on anything big.

you caught me, I don't go to /tg/. I just like to shitpost the OP when they make a mistake

Halloween and The Thing are two of my all-time favorite films, and they're both kind of polar opposites. Halloween is simple, down to just the essentials, while The Thing is this intricately plotted story with flashy special effects. He commanded both ends of the spectrum.

I also appreciated how he could hop from genre to genre. Action with Escape from NY, comedy with Big Trouble in Little China, etc.

Not every one of his films worked, but he was so prolific. He put out more iconic, classic movies in 5-10 years than most directors produce over decades.

you might be confused because all the horror legends died this year - wes craven, tobe hooper, george romero. Wouldn't be surprised if carpenter kicks the bucked this year.

Carpenter exclusively produced flicks, but he's the undisputed flick master
After a hard day of watching films and kino I sometimes like to sit down and marathon a carpenter flick or two, most of them are good

His filmography is grossly overrated. His only GREAT film is The Thing. They live and Christine are good. Halloween, PoD, EfNY, The Fog are just okay-mediocre. The rest are probably shit but I don't remember

>Camera work wasn't dynamic enough
>!!FACT!!!

Could you get a trip or something so I can filter you more easily? It's a miracle you remember to breathe with taste that poor.

you must be new. he uses that nick all the time. just filter his nick, you'll be good.

Weird, I could have sworn it said he was posting as anonymous.

Thanks.

>putting slasher trash like Halloween in the same sentence as The Thing

Vampires is schlock kino, but an okay Carpenter film overall. James Woods carries it and is great in it.

you're probably even a bigger creep than any of those men.

>that sequel with Jon Bon Jovi as the lead
lmao that's a real schlockino

There's a sequel? Shit, gonna need to watch it next week, thanks for mentioning it, lad!

there are TWO sequels. and they have nothing in common with the first movie. first one is schlockino with bon jovi and young Diego Luna, and the other is set in thailand and it has samurais and shit and it's kinda boring.

Gonna see 'em anyway, just for completion sake.

just be careful, because when I try to find a torrent with the turning none of them had any seeds. had to find a shitty stream just to watch the movie.

came out yesterday my guy and it's awesome

Seriously? That's a bummer, hopefully I'll have more luck.
Also, have a good one, lad.

>not appreciating Halloween on its own merits as a masterfully paced, tension packed horror film

It is you who is the pleb.

No because there are films that came out before it that did it way better like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Peeping Tom. Halloween did nothing to reinvent the wheel.

>Texas Chainsaw Massacre

They're worlds fucking apart in tone, atmosphere, story, etc. save for the fact that people are murdered and an antagonist wears a mask. Goodfellas isn't any worse because the Godfather already existed.

I'll admit, I haven't seen Peeping Tom, but the point isn't reinventing the wheel (though that's also arguable, since Halloween basically caused the genre to explode in popularity and became the template for tons of copycats to follow). Halloween, regardless of other films, is excellently paced and brilliant at building tension (especially as it reaches the end). I love the suburban/Halloween season setting. Michael Myers is a great monster, especially because the movie smartly keeps enough up in the air - Why is he doing this? What does he want? Is he even human?

Cheap innovation is trumped by excellent craft and execution 100% of the time.

>if it didn't do something first then it's not good
This. Everything not done by Griffith and Murnau is bad.

>what is this John Carpenter's film about Vampires called?

Halloween is shit though.

head like a fucking orange.

The remakes are nowhere near as good as the originals. The Fog is super spoopy.

What the fuck, there's no links in Sup Forums archive

On The Thing
>"If you want blood, go to the slaughterhouse. All in all, it's a terrific commercial for J&B Scotch."
- Christian Nyby, director of the Thing from Another World

>or was he just lucky

Nah, he has way too many classics for just ''luck''

I had it removed.

U mad?

Hi John i love your movies and your music

pure shlockino, they would never make a movie like this today.

most of his films are great but the guy is an asshole

not sure if that's angry old man syndrome but any commentaries or interviews hes usually a right dick and not in a good way

My subjective opinion and not at all an objective ranking tierlist:
>God Tier
The Thing
Escape from New York
Big Trouble in Little China
>Great Tier
They Live
In the Mouth of Madness
Halloween
Prince of Darkness
>Good Tier
Escape from L.A.
Village of the Damned
The Fog
Dark Star
Starman
>Night of the Living Dead but without the zombies tier
Assault on Precinct 13
>Shit Tier
Ghosts of Mars
The Ward

Haven't watched the rest. Heard Christine is supposed to be good.