As their one-on-one duel reached the main floor, Dooku taunted Skywalker, remarking that he felt fear, hate and anger...

As their one-on-one duel reached the main floor, Dooku taunted Skywalker, remarking that he felt fear, hate and anger, but that he did not use them, a typical Dun Möch application. This proved to be a mistake, however—Anakin was indeed afraid, afraid of losing Obi-Wan. The taunt enraged Skywalker, and he channeled his hatred of Dooku into his swordplay, momentarily tapping into the dark side of the Force.

Refusing to be intimidated by the Sith Lord's victory over Kenobi, Skywalker came at Dooku in a frenzied demonstration of Djem So, hammering Dooku's defenses. He quickly gained the advantage, at one point striking at Dooku so hard that the Count's blade singed his own shoulder. With a swift maneuver, he proceeded to sever both of the Count's hands, doubly avenging the loss of his right arm in their first encounter. Dooku was now at the Jedi Knight's mercy.

Expecting his Master to intervene, and save his life, as Sidious had promised to do in the case of defeat, Dooku instead was shocked to see the Dark Lord command Skywalker to deliver the deathblow, and it was then that Dooku came to realize Sidious' second deception—the Sith Master never intended for the Count to survive—he had simply been used to create the Confederacy of Independent Systems and make Sidious's plan for galactic domination truly possible. On Palpatine's command, Skywalker—despite hesitating for a moment—executed the Sith Lord by decapitation. His last thought was, "Treachery is the way of the Sith."

>PALPATINE IS A SITH LORD
How hard was that?

Dooku crumples to his knees, face blank, mouth slack, and his weapon whirs through the air to the victor’s hand, and Anakin finds his vision of the future happening before his eyes: two blades at Count Dooku’s throat.

But here, now, the truth belies the dream. Both lightsabers are in his hands, and the one in his hand of flesh flares with the synthetic bloodshine of a Sith blade.

Dooku, cringing, shrinking with dread, still finds some hope in his heart that he is wrong, that Palpatine has not betrayed him, that this has all been proceeding according to plan—

Until he hears “Good, Anakin! Good! I knew you could do it!” and registers this is Palpatine’s voice and feels within the darkest depths of all he is the approach of the words that are to come next.

“Kill him,” Palpatine says. “Kill him now.”

In Skywalker’s eyes he sees only flames.

“Chancellor, please!” he gasps, desperate and helpless, his aristocratic demeanor invisible, his courage only a bitter memory. He is reduced to begging for his life, as so many of his victims have. “Please, you promised me immunity! We had a deal! Help me!”

And his begging gains him a share of mercy equal to that which he has dispensed.

“A deal only if you released me,” Palpatine replies, cold as intergalactic space. “Not if you used me as bait to kill my friends.”

And he knows, then, that all has indeed been going according to plan. Sidious’s plan, not his own. This had been a Jedi trap indeed, but Jedi were not the quarry.

They were the bait.

“Anakin,” Palpatine says quietly. “Finish him.”

Years of Jedi training make Anakin hesitate; he looks down upon Dooku and sees not a Lord of the Sith but a beaten, broken, cringing old man.

“I shouldn’t—”

But when Palpatine barks, “Do it! Now!” Anakin realizes that this isn’t actually an order. That it is, in fact, nothing more than what he’s been waiting for his whole life.

Permission.

And Dooku—

As he looks up into the eyes of Anakin Skywalker for the final time, Count Dooku knows that he has been deceived not just today, but for many, many years. That he has never been the true apprentice. That he has never been the heir to the power of the Sith. He has been only a tool.

His whole life—all his victories, all his struggles, all his heritage, all his principles and his sacrifices, everything he’s done, everything he owns, everything he’s been, all his dreams and grand vision for the future Empire and the Army of Sith—have been only a pathetic sham, because all of them, all of him, add up only to this.

He has existed only for this.

This.

To be the victim of Anakin Skywalker’s first cold-blooded murder.

First but not, he knows, the last.

Then the blades crossed at his throat uncross like scissors.

Snip.

And all of him becomes nothing at all.

sad desu

This is well written but makes no sense. The ONLY reason Dooku wouldn't reveal Palpatine to be Sidious would be because he accepted what was happening. He had been defeated by his superior replacement and thus he accepted his death with dignity as a necessary part of the Sith Grand Plan.

But him begging for his life kind of goes against all of that. There's no reason for him NOT to tell Anakin Sidious' identity

Dooku not knowing that Sidious would betray him is retarded when he himself has tangled with a betrayed former apprentice (Maul) and has in fact betrayed his own apprentice (Ventress)
I mean, shit, it's literally part of the Sith system to betray each other as often as possible because that way only the strong survive.

Duke Countu looking shocked and appalled that his best friend Sheeven Palpatine betrayed him is just plain stupid.
He should have either died with a noble face, knowing what has happened and that he was the weaker apprentice.
Or died angry and spiteful trying to undermine Sheev and/or Anakin.

What we got was the most stupid of endings

I think the text makes it pretty clear that though Dooku was trying to live, he understood that nothing he said could have stopped Anakin, who despite his Jedi training wanted deeply to kill Dooku and was really just waiting for an excuse.

Watch out for that vicious bounty hunter Boba Fett, Luke. Did I ever tell you I fought his dad? He was hired to assassinate a senator me and your father were guarding. We kept bringing her around open windows and public areas in order to draw the would-be assassin out because we knew he had too much pride to just shoot her from long range. He had used his payment to hire another bounty hunter to kill the senator for him while he sent us on a wild bantha chase. Also the 2nd assassin used her payment to buy a robot to assassinate the senator for her. Did I mention the 2nd assassin was a shapeshifter? She could have been a good friend in disguise and just shot the senator for all we knew! Then the robot used its payment to buy poisonous bugs to release into the senator's room while she slept after lasering a hole through the window. It could have just lasered her too after that because we we weren't watching her at all, but it already bought the bugs. So we sense the hostile life forms (not the robot) in the room and rush in and save the senator in the nick of time! Then I jumped out the window to chase the robot back to its owner! Luckily it didn't have a self-destruct function. Then we found the 2nd assassin and chased her across the planet, and caught her when she tried to kill us instead of shapeshifting and escaping. But to our surprise, Jango Fett was watching the whole thing instead of going to kill the senator while we were away chasing the bugs chasing the robot chasing the shapeshifter. He shot her with a poisonous dart instead of sniper blaster, and only her instead of shooting all of us or blowing all of us with a rocket or something, then he escaped with his tiny jetpack. Luckily for the senator, my good friend Dexterr Jettster owned a 50s dinner on Courscant that had Republic secrets on the menu along with cheeseburgers and malt shakes. We found the assassin and Mace Window killed him later, right in front of Boba. And he was a good friend.

Yeah but he definitely could have royally fucked Sheev's plans

>Luke, did I ever tell you about the time Ziro the Hutt was brutally murdered by Sy Snootles? Hold on one goddamn second, Luke, I'll explain who that is! Ziro the Hutt was the brother of Jabba the Hutt, and was imprisoned by the Republic during the Clone Wars following a foiled kidnapping plot in which he conspired with Count Dooku to ransom Jabba's son, Rotta. I'll explain Dooku later, Luke! Anyway, the notorious bounty hunter and big guy Cad Bane took the senate hostage and freed Ziro, only to bring him back to the Hutts who put him in prison. Ziro exploited the affection of Sy Snootles, some sort of blowjob alien who sings good songs at Jabba's Palace along with a blue elephant and a CGI dog-man, and had her break him out, and the two escaped into the swamps, to the abode of Mama the Hutt, Ziro’s grotesque mother, who provided him with a starship so he could travel to Teth. Are you keeping up, Luke? Pay attention, Teth is key to all this! Anyways, Ziro was in possession of information important to the Republic, so I teamed up with Jedi Master Quinlan Vos, who was like a black version of The Dude, and we odd-coupled our way through this mission. We crossed paths with Cad Bane, but he proved too much of a big guy for us, and escaped. I guess there wasn't enough time in the episode for us to figure out where Ziro was, so in the end Sy Snootles gunned him down and took his holo-diary and we never worried about any of that shit again.
>Ziro was a good friend. Sy still is a good friend. Cad Bane was not, and may no longer be, a good friend.

God I hate Wookieepedia

I don't really see how that would have fucked him over though.
Dooku: "Palpatine is a Sith Lor-*gack*"
Anakin: "Uh, what was that last thing about?"
Palpatine: "Clearly a Sith lie, think nothing of it."

Yeah, Anakin is clearly both autistic and stupid, so Dooku could have put on a fucking powerpoint about how Sheev is a Sith Lord and Anakin still wouldn't have gotten it

I mean, either way would Anakin have really cared? He hated the Jedi anyway.

For what, anyways
>Aaaah, I hate the Jedi for not protecting my perfectly healthy and happy wife!

You really have to watch TCW for it to make sense. Essentially he realizes that the Jedi are really no different than the Sith. They couldn't care less about the high and mighty principals they spout because when it comes down to it they want power and are willing to do anything to keep it.

So when his wife and unborn child are in mortal danger he decides to join the side who will help him save her.

>They couldn't care less about the high and mighty principals they spout because when it comes down to it they want power and are willing to do anything to keep it.
Ha, just like Republicans.

I did watch TCW
Literally none of that happens.
Hell, the Jedi are actually nice people in TCW instead of George's stuck up assholes

Star Wars is for man children.

Even in ROTS it's clear the Jedi want power. Mace Windu wanted the Jedi to take over.

>are literally willing to sentence an innocent one of their own to death rather than go against the military and lose their influence

Dooku was clearly stopped by a communications disruption, which could only mean one thing.

Bravo Lucas.

He begs for his life first, but then he realizes he's Anakin's first step to the Dark Side. So he just takes one for the team, I guess.

More loyalty than you'd expect out of a Sith, desu, but it wasn't like he was getting out of there alive one way or the other.

Dooku always was one of the more honorable Sith.

I guess you can't take all of the Jedi out of a guy.

Anakin wouldn't have believed him, just like Kenobi didn't believe him that a Sith Lord was in control of the Senate. As a Sith himself, they'd have to reason to trust anything he say.