Why dont we get any "good" African fantasy shows/movies middle earth/europe fantasy is so fucking boring now

Why dont we get any "good" African fantasy shows/movies middle earth/europe fantasy is so fucking boring now

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_mythological_figures
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's not a fucking sentence

But your picture is Caribbean folklore.

>YFW there will never be a legit Shadow Man tv show / movie

i guess black folks would be offended for being stereotyped into the vodoo theme

Tribalism is shit

because voodoo is gay

I actually played this game a lot on N64. It was shit gameplay wise, but god damn was it interesting.

I now have the steam version. Still worth a purchase just for the music and voice acting.

>"oh, just cus we african we gotta be into voodoo? dont be raciss, white boi"

and now how do you feel?

It'd probably suck anyway. There was a large voodoo theme in AHS Season 3 and it was boring as hell.

Besides, the subtly and tact required to make such a show without condemning yourself to professional suicide would not be worth the risk for the majority of directors.

There really aren't any

I like Voodoo stuff too but it was horribly executed in AHS (just like everything else in S3) and it distracted from the few interesting witchcraft nuggets that were to be enjoyed.

>african fantasy shows
literally the same thing with black people instead of european/asian/etc people

you're asking to beat the dead horse's legs instead of its upper torso

sure but only so long as it's entirely improvised with no script, writing is white man invention

HBO's making a TV series of this with George R. R. Martin as exec producer.

classic gag user

Like what? African Cultures in general don't contain that much mythology to warrant a universe well European and Asian cultures have a ton of stuff.
Unless you want a Egyptian themed fantasy story then they're isn't anything to work with.

Because people would complain. Look at D&D. They released a fantasy Africa update and got called racist for it.

holy shit, i remember seeing this dude on the cover of a game and a level where hes in a junkyard fighting dogs, but i never remembered what it was called

thanks

>Like what? African Cultures in general don't contain that much mythology to warrant a universe well European and Asian cultures have a ton of stuff.

Holy shit. Try doing some reading. Africa has a deep mythological history; it was just mostly passed down orally as opposed through written texts. Even so, the written texts which survive are immense and contain an enormous source of information. Caribbean folklore is derived from African mythology, but evolved to suit cultural changes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_mythological_figures

Start there. I know that we're neighbors to the most distasteful people on earth, but let's not actually have our lack of education affect the discussion.

When simple clean, running water is an African Fantasy I don't hold out much hope for their legendarium.

>deep mythological history

Was that all lost when evil whitey smashed up their advanced civilization. If African mythology was deep and interesting it would have been used already.

Indian, Chinese, Japanese, interesting culture outside of Europe has been used for decades, by comparison Africans had none, next you will be telling me Abo's had a deep mythology.

That's weird how some people call for more of that stuff, but only if it's done by the race that the culture "belongs" to.

>Caribbean folklore
Thats the problem Caribbean folklore is a bastardization of African mythology and what was already around. The Caribbean is its own kind of animal. You can do a lot with Caribbean mythology since you have Voodoo, Hoodoo, plus all kinds of weird stuff to play around with.

Then of course theirs the problem of the oral history. The Norse had a ton of oral history but they had runes. Where the Egyptians had the hieroglyphics. People generally aren't knowledgeable about African Mythology like that of Norse, Greek, Roman, Egyptian or even Native American folklore.

because africa isnt real . its like narnia . it isnt like mu or atlantis where they used to exist. africa was never real. black people are a expression of your own psychosis. us normal people have learned to cope with your faggotry but every year we euthanize more of "you people" who believe in black people

Oh yeah, I'd love the endless WE WUZ KANGZ posts and Sup Forums crying about the MUH WHITE GENOCIDE.

That isn't African you utter retard.

>middle earth/europe fantasy is so fucking boring now
its not

Beacuse all working black directors don't actually know shit about their ancestry.

>African Cultures in general don't contain that much mythology

Wrong. you don't need a pre existing culture to base your popular culture on. You need to divide a pre existing market with your ethnic talents and money.

When people want to see pyro effects you don't look for a god with fire as his superpower. You just do your pyro effects anyway then give your characters names of gods.

>Even so, the written texts which survive are immense and contain an enormous source of information.

What written text? You do realize that subsaharan africa has never developed an alphabet and any written language, right?

what

ding ding ding.

Stop pretending you are dumbfounded by that guy's comment. The whole extent of noteable African mythology can be summed up in maybe 3-5 pages of Wikipedia entries. Meanwhile, European mythology consists of thousands upon thousands of pages of fairy tales, folk lore, legends etc. I'm sure Africa once had a rich mythology, but it is gone now. That's just what happens when you never develop writing.

t. american

Exactly the reason why African fantasy shouldn't touched or created by anyone outside of Africa.

Nobody is interested. It's as simple as that. White,black,asian,etc have Absolutely zero interest in anything having to do with Africa.

no. this is the real answer

No, that's your opinion. The failure to develop writing was detrimental, but a lot of Europeans did compile a fair amount of text on the myths and folklore of various indigenous Africans. It need not be as extensive as that of Europe to warrant a source for world building or storytelling. H.Rider Haggard managed to tell some yarns steeped in African lore, and he was white. The only thing stopping anyone is a lack of interest.

So you're saying it shouldn't be created at all? Because Africa has yet to develop any form of a movie industry, or even a proper book industry for that matter.

They are getting there slowly I saw a game called aurion made by an African game dev based on African mythology .

>africa is one country
Your American education is showing. There are countries that have a film industry and literature.

Funny how the only African fantssy I'm enamored with, was written by a white man deemed a genius of racism by an African writer.

I figured we were talking about subsaharan Africa. Obviously arab muslim countries and countries that still have a relatively stable white population in Africa have literature and sometimes even some form of a movie industry.

Wakaliwood will conquer all

>I'm unironically this ignorant
Lel

I'd watch something based on Caribbean or American black folklore/myth if it was done well, but it probably wouldnt be

Well, technically all African fantasy that exists in written form had to originally be written down by white men. Before that, they were only passed down orally.

I meant fantasy in terms of a fully realized story like Lotr, in which the myths and folklore are incorporated into the narrative as invented by the author. Rider also did somewhat similar with "Montezuma's Daughter, " but he's mostly known for "King Solomon's Mines." In the story I'm going nuts about, he even incorporates some aspects of European folklore by having two mystical weapons playing a major role in the story.

American Gods have some African/Middle Eastern/Tribal kino scenes.

Such is life as an American.

>Why don't we get any African fantasy
Well we're getting Black Panther

While that is technically true, I still got a vibe that comment was back handed and seeking to trigger a Kang post.

He's not far off though. Pretty much all African mythology is based on oral traditions and folklore passed down in spoken and told stories with no written material to draw from at all. The result is you have a bunch of weird and fantastical creatures with very short stories accompanying them. Add to that the fact that as you've said yourself, there's not a lot of interest in African folklore to begin with due to a scant amount of source material besides the odd creatures. We have the same in Norse and Celtic mythologies. There's a whole bunch of creatures and obscure stories you never heard told because only the most popular ones that people will recognize garner any sort of interest. You'll never see stories about things like hulders which are basically kind furry mermaids on land or skogsrå which are more or less dryad-esque succubi. There's also norse shenlong dragons called lindworms. You never see these in media because they do not exist anywhere but old oral folklore with stories that were told around the fireplace like "if a man walks alone in the forest on a friday night he will get seduced and fucked to death by the skogsrå, so dont walk alone in the forest on fridays kids!".

if they made one everyone would call it racist and everyone involved would get black(kek)balled

>there's not a lot of interest in African folklore to begin with due to a scant amount of source material
I partially agree, but I wouldn't blame it on the scant amount of source material. I think it has more to do with it lacking mass appeal. I don't blame anyone, but most people have no interest in Africa outside of the general rather accurate notion that it's a shit hole. There's really no market for it.

>African fantasy shows/movies
there's no such thing
though there is african-inspired western fantasy
not exactly surprising though, from a continent that exports nothing but raw materials and misery. not a lot of culture to talk about over there.