Story centers around protaganist trying to understand why so much weird shit is happening around them

>story centers around protaganist trying to understand why so much weird shit is happening around them
>the ending is the Author appearing in the story to explain that they are the cause of it all, because they're writing it

i fucking hate this lazy shit, it's not smart or clever or groundbreaking it's just a fuckin cop-out

What about where the one of the characters realizes he's entirely fictional? A mere figment of someone else's imagination? Totally at the mercy of some unknown creator who pulls on his strings?

Looney Tunes kinda did that once but it wasn't very existential.

but muh wizard guy did it!!!

So Gravity Falls?

Just say you don't like Gravity Falls handles it's lore instead of trying to create a stealth thread

Name ten cartoons, five anime, and three flipbooks where this happens.

Gravity Falls doesn't do that...

When has this ever been done, genuinely curios

>does like clichés
Its suppose to be cringe worthy

Grant Morrison does it all the damn time.

I read a book called "I am the Messenger" a few years ago that pulled it and it was really anti-climactic.

>does it all the damn time

Yep, OP revealed he never read comics and is just shitposting again

>female protagonists have unique and interesting goals
>every male protagonist's endgame is getting a girlfriend

>an annoying cliche we've seen millions of time happens
>one of the characters points out that it's an annoying cliche, and that if this were a cartoon/comic, it would be panned for its lazy writing

This one's been really fucking run to the ground.

>Character says they can't do a backflip so they don't let character join cheerleading squad
>Character can actually do a backflip but where they're from it's called something silly.
Love this one.

Doing the opposite of a cliche is becoming just as cliche as the actual cliche. People never praise outside the box thinking as much as they should.

It worked out really well in Morrison animal man run and it leaves a horrifying implication throughout the series that animal man and everyone in the book are just puppets for the writers

There was a manga about it OPUS the author never got to fucking finish it though thanks to the godamn magazine being cancelled and satoshi dying but it did be it a meta way since they found unfinished pages in his study but it's pretty good with some characters breaking down since they realize they're just character in a story and nothing real in their world

>story makes obscure references that nobody will get

> plot twist it turns out your the fictional character
>Author just wanted a story grounded in boring realism with no real pay offs

>But no one buys it so your getting cancelled

Cerebus the Aardvark

Except it's more like the author apologizing to the main character because the main character is going to go to Hell and suffer for all eternity when they die. Because the main character is a bad person, because the author created the main character as a bad person, and because the author doesn't believe that the main character has the willpower necessary to stop being a bad person.

Over the next 100 issues, the main character makes a few attempts to stop being a bad person. But in the end it's not good enough, so they die and go to Hell, where they suffer for all eternity. The End.

Sup Forums but liked how Princess Tutu did this

The entire world as they know it is all controlled by a writer's story (to put it simply)

At the end of the series when the good guys "win" and reality returns to normal, the writer controlling the story wonders if he's just the puppet of another writer

He just goes "Oh well, even if I am I'll just do whatever I want

Kurt Vonnegut