I am not a fan of Ryan Gosling so no offence but seeing him try to be an action hero isn't really my thing and I would...

I am not a fan of Ryan Gosling so no offence but seeing him try to be an action hero isn't really my thing and I would have preferred another actor alongside Ford but why is this movie bombing?

It looks like a decent enough sci fi film...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VtJFb_P2j48
youtube.com/watch?v=46h-LfNWPn8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So you haven't actually watched it is what you're saying?

Too smart for the mainstream

Because it's not an action film like you think, and that's all people want.

Isn't that what I said? Anyway it amazes me why so many other Americans didn't see this and FUCK I just realized... this means more capeshit to be made cos that is the only thing that makes a lot of money now...

DAMNIT now I feel like supporting this and anything to get cinematic universes out of the cinemas

>It's not an action movie
>General public never really cared for blade runner
>General public doesn't want to watch a 3 hour movie
>SciFi isn't as big of a market as people think.

>SciFi isn't as big of a market as people think.
It is if you make it based on many different planet like Star Wars. But having it set in 1 city can make it sound boring to many

Star wars isn't SciFi.

>Star Wars
>SciFi

But it is.
People like it for other reasons, though.

Star Wars is Space Fantasy, same as Marvel movies

Nobody under 25 is going to a 3 hour sequel to a cult science fiction movie that came out over 40 years ago.

The under 25s control everything. Buzzfeed did not run a single listicle about this fucking movie.

An "Are You A Replicant Or A Human ZOMG" article would have doubled its USBO

It's not.

Star Wars was a massive risk, and the risk paid off because it told a simple story in a setting with a never before seen scale. Films like Ben Hur were similarly applauded for their scale despite having quite simple plots compared to many westerns. Now it's been doen sci-fi will likely never be such a big market again, and space travel whilst looking promising is not really capturing many people's imagination like it did due to oversaturation and the more realistic expectations of small colonies on dead planets for research purposes.

Star Wars is scifi. You are crazy if you think it isn't.

It's not. You're retarded if you think it is.

Exactly how is it not sci-fi?

>The Force
>Science

Exactly how is it SciFi?

>midichlorians
>not science

I hadn't even put much thought into it, but why would the studios being the one who close whether to screen or pull movies, wouldn't that more be on the theaters?

Space Battles, technical jargon, robots, called a space opera which is a subset of science fiction.

I'm just saying I could go into any book shop or movie store and I won't be looking for Star Wars in the Fantasy section.

It has magic, Wizards ad prophecies. It's a fantasy set in space, that doesn't make it a sci-fi

The movie was shit dont waster your time and dont let /tvirgins/ change your mind ryan gosling plays the ssme character adnauseum and these virgins are autistic so they are like wow real human beans rite guise lmao

If you want to get autistic about it you can label it sci-fi but realistically it isn't. It's a space Opera and falls more under fantasy. Only reason it would get lumped under sci-fi is because of space and space ships and robots and aliens.

But that's not really sci-fi like how blade runner is, like Star trek is. No one really cares about this sci-fi.

just because its in space doesnt make it sci fi. sci fi must have some kind of theme about society and/or human nature, star wars is just the wizard of oz but with spaceships.

Theaters don't buy the movies, they rent them. Studios probably want to push home media sooner.

>sci-fi musi have some kind of theme about society and/or human nature

Objectively wrong.

Did anyone genuinely believe that Blade Runner 2049 would top the box office? its the kind of movie that gets a limited run at independent and arthouse cinemas.

a clockwork orange is science fiction. are you so stupid you think thats in the same category of movie as star wars?

Go write your blog elsewhere, you disingenuous cunt.

Anyways, it’s directed by Denis Villeneuve, the Stupid Man’s Frank Miller, so it’s all very portentous and heavy on quality production design (and gorgeous thanks to my man Roger Deakins, who I hope wins all the awards, forever), but fundamentally stupid, stupid all day, stupid for miles. The plot at its core doesn’t really work (the “Triggering Incident” of the movie makes no sense once the Explanation for the Movie is given), and setting aside the plot, the basic story’s about twice as stupid as I’d expect from Vilaneuve (dig this: a cop on the edge finally decides to take the law in his own hands after they come after his girl!!! “It’s asking important questions about what man is”– people on the internet, for serious). He just makes his movies super-long and super-slow to create this illusion that something deep is happening, but what’s happening? Dumb-dumb shit.

>the Stupid Man’s Frank Miller
Frank miller gets that title. Dark knight returns is horribly overrated and his Spirit movie is fucking terrible

I thought it could have been modestly successful based off it having literally no competition.

And I wasn't completely wrong, there has been nothing else out, and nothing has really out performed it to any degree. It just didn't make enough itself.

Fantasy trumps soft sci-fi which trumps hard sci-fi

I really wonder why. Is there such a thing called soft and hard fantasy ?

the early seasons of game of thrones were low fantasy. but now its just generic fantasy garbage

It's high and low fantasy but same concept

This. In "real" Sci-fi the fictional scientific concepts of the setting are often part of the actual plot and part of what makes the setting whole. There really Isn't any sci-fi elements in star wars other superficialities and "wow our hyperdrive is broken".

So low fantasy is supposed to be the hard sci-fi of the fantasy?

So we would have a line like this...

High fantasy < low fantasy < real history > hard sci-fi > soft sci-fi

If GoT is low fantasy, it's probably the soft sci-fi of fantasy.

I thought low fantasy means it's low magic

It's a thoughtful movie where having empathy for the experiences of the characters is a major part of the experience.
Lack or empathy or maturity means you can't enjoy the movie. The average American cinema goer lacks empathy and or maturity.

the "low" in the fantasy is the amount of magic or fictional, mythological creatures that exist in the story or movie. So harry potter and LOTR would be high fantasy. high and low dont really indicate the quality of the fictional world, just the amount of fantasy in them

Yeah something like that

High Fantasy is LotR/Current GoT with lots of magic, fantasy creatures/races etc

Low Fantasy is like early GoT with a mostly grounded setting but in a fantasy world. Maybe a little magic here and there but nothing too outlandish.

Hard Sci-Fi is sci-fi with grounded tech, like S1 of The Expanse before the aliens showed up, or Alien, Terminator etc

Soft Sci-Fi adds so much unreal technology that it basically becomes Fantasy but with a sci-fi aesthetic like the MCU, Star Wars etc

Ironically Soft Sci-Fi is often more unrealistic than High Fantasy because in fantasy explaining your magic systems is a commonly accepted necessity, but in Sci-Fi people just add some sciency bullshit and do whatever they want.
Star Wars would definitely class as the Softest Sci-Fi possible to the point of basically just being fantasy in space, hence why I call is Space Fantasy instead of Sci-Fi

Are you retarded? GoT is superficially a fantasy show. Only the last season has it gotten kind of heavy handed. Prior to that it was mostly about sex and politics.

>It is if you make it based on many different planet like Star Wars
You mean... like... Valerian?

>action
This is tech noir, you dumb kong

No one over 25 wants to see a followup to a movie they couldn't get 20 minutes into before falling asleep. Blade Runner fucking sucks.

>The under 25s control everything
Then why is Trump President?

It's not a line. It's a circle.
high fantasy < low fantasy < real history > hard sci-fi > soft sci-fi = high fantasy < low fantasy ...

Would Macbeth be low fantasy according to this standard? Or even Hamlet?

Yeah basically this, the main difference between soft sci-fi and high fantasy is the aesthetic. Functionally they are the same

t.brainlet

its literally just different costumes and sets

It's hard to have empathy for robots or cyborg or replicants when they are not relatable

I guess it's more of a spectrum rather than distinct categories, fantasy gets 'higher' the more magic is in it.

meant for

This. If you break away the space part it is just another superhero movie.

They don't know how to vote

>I need self insert characters in order to like things because Im a woman and/or millennial
kys

>"This"ing a this post
Wew, what a time to be alive

The ability of humans to label everything is fascinating.

When are they going to start just releasing new films directly to blu-ray? Nobody wants to go to an over-priced theater with some pimple-faced faggot trying to check you for snack paraphernalia with fat fucks breathing down your neck or some shit head kid kicking the back of your chair. My tv is almost as big as a theater screen anyways. Fuck the theaters.

Yeah, people just want to see some John Wick type of silly choreographed stunts.

>skinjob detected
retire yourself

I've seen starships, dude.

>Then why is Trump President?

Star Wars also has the beneft of brand recognition and Disney's massive marketing team. They can pretty much release anything and will have everyone fanboying over it and buying all of the merchandise.

>Ryan Gosling
>why is this movie bombing?

>Ryan Gosling
>why is this movie bombing?

the "big cuts" to Blade Runner is that 3d and IMAX are going to Geostorm.

delete this

It's written like a capeshit anyway tho. The only reason Sup Forums likes it is because of waifus, Villeneuve's flashy mise en scene and the goose's autism which most of this board can relate to. It's not a spectacular film otherwise and it lacks the depth and coherence of the first.

>Sup Forums still posting this debunked study to tell themselves their shitty ideologies will still be around in 15 years

Kek shouldn't expect any better from the scientifically illiterate right

>scientifically illiterate
IT'S SCIENCE MORTY

>scientifically illiterate right

>I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE MUSK WILL MAKE GENDER FLUID WITH THE HYPERLOOP

Blade Runner is a cult classic. Not everyone's cup of tea.
And the Kikewood cash grabbers thought it would be a good idea to turn it into a reddit flick and market it to the masses by relying on the originals brand identity.

LEL so easily triggered
This is what nu-Sup Forums is like outside the reddit echo chamber

>And the Kikewood cash grabbers thought it would be a good idea to turn it into a reddit flick and market it to the masses by relying on the originals brand identity.

THE
SCIENCE
IS
SETTLED

Because MUH FUN XD

If there aren’t any jokes about rectums then it’s not worth the moviegoing audience’s time. We’ve reached Idiocacracy.

Shut up CIS male

b-b-but he parroted the group think perfectly?
youtube.com/watch?v=VtJFb_P2j48
youtube.com/watch?v=46h-LfNWPn8

>MUSK WILL MAKE GENDER FLUID
and that's literally all you got. Gender. Yet you make it seem like they're anti science in any other department, which they aren't. So shut the fuck upp lease you fucking parrot.

Because audiences have been corrupted by Kevin Feige and Jason Blum.