Can someone give me the breakdown on what happened with the Homestuck Game Kickstarter...

Can someone give me the breakdown on what happened with the Homestuck Game Kickstarter? The last time I officially kept up, it was right before it hit the $1 mil mark.

I know that he approached a company to make the game, they stole his money, his dad died so he went in hiatus for awhile, and now the entire game has changed genres? But why didn't he press for legal charges if a company stole his money?

something something was going to be full 3D, funds were apparently stolen to fund King's Quest, now the game is 2D instead

I'm pretty sure it was always intended to be a point and click though

>But why didn't he press for legal charges if a company stole his money?
Because that'd cost even more money, which he can't afford, because it got stolen from him.

The information is like third hand from a source that's sketchy at best, and Hussie has a BAD track record with other people's money.

Like, yes, the Odd Gentlemen probably did some bad shit but there's also rumors of Hussie hiring a bad team, not having any real sense of budgeting a game and running out of cash real fast, and the utter lack of care and polish in the demo that's STILL USING CONCEPT ART shows just how much effort went into this game.

tldr; you shouldn't have trusted your money to a dude who can't put out a t-shirt because he does not take it seriously.

You have a naïve view of how lawsuits work.

If he pressed for legal charges, he'd have to spend the other 2/3rds of the Kickstarter money on lawyer fees, and that's no guarantee he'd win the courtcase, and TOG could still punt by declaring bankruptcy if it looks like they're going to lose and they'd put Hussie at the bottom of the list of debtors out of spite.

I've been through this once myself, over something smaller, and I lost as much money as I was owed. The judge said to me "the only people that will profit from this are those two," and he pointed at the two lawyers in his office. The lawyers didn't even have the decency to look ashamed.

>there's also rumors of Hussie hiring a bad team
Well, that's what happens when the professional video game developers you hire to make your game steal your money, and you have to do everything in-house.
I can't fault Hussie for this shit. He got screwed over big time.

Yep. Our legal system is super fucked.

I can't take it anymore

Must breed with Aradia...

Kings Quest will be the best thing to come out of the HS kickstarter.

It's going to get even more fucked.

>and Hussie has a BAD track record with other people's money
and have *you* got a non-sketchy source regarding that?

>TWO homesuck threads

I believe the story is that while they made $2.4m total, they always planned to use the original $800k as stated for game development.

So $800k (or whatever it was) went to The Odd Gentlemen. They fucked off with the money after Sierra contacted them to develop "King's Quest".
Another $800k went to What Pumpkin? and their new in-house development team. That fell through as well for reasons we don't actually know, though I'm sure incompetence is one of them.
The final $800k went to whatever team is working on the game now, and that's what we're getting today after ten thousand years. But at least we're getting music by Toby "You Gotta Pay The Bone Toll If You Wanna Get In The Bone Hole" Fox

there was that time he had Ryan North's credit card and used it to go golfing and to drive a car real fast

He did on purpose that doesnt count.

toby fox writes one 30-second jingle for hiveswap so they can put his name at the top of the music team

>So $800k (or whatever it was) went to The Odd Gentlemen. They fucked off with the money after Sierra contacted them to develop "King's Quest".
The thing is, how does a company just take $800k of someone's money without repercussion?

they don't, they gave roughly half of it back in a settlement

>>Sup Forums

This chinese whisper is getting worse and worse
>WP gave 788k to TOG in 2012 to develop hiveswap. they then proceeded to do next to nothing, completely blowing off the dev schedule that they agreed to
>at that stage, TOG said they had 390,000 dollars left of the money WP gave them that they hadn’t spent on “development” or taxes
>in the 7 months it took them to agree on a settlement for returning the money, they spent 170,000 of it on king’s quest
Too bad iggy is literally the only "source" and i hope someone andrew breaks silence after the game is made.