Bladerunner 2049 deemed major financial loss

Bladerunner is being pulled from theaters before the Lego Ninjago movie. Let that sink in.

showbiz411.com/2017/10/21/hollywood-ending-big-studios-cutting-losses-this-weekend-pulling-flops-from-theaters-earlier-than-usual

Sup Forums, what went so horribly wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

showbiz411.com/2017/10/21/hollywood-ending-big-studios-cutting-losses-this-weekend-pulling-flops-from-theaters-earlier-than-usual
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=bladerunnersequel.htm
hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/blade-runner-2049-behind-big-bet-by-alcon-a-sequel-1043128
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>showbiz411.com/2017/10/21/hollywood-ending-big-studios-cutting-losses-this-weekend-pulling-flops-from-theaters-earlier-than-usual

Too smart for normies
Too dumb for patricians

World wasn't ready for kino

Enjoy your thousand years of capeshit until another chosen one appears

People don't go to the movies anymore.

They don't need to pay 20 bucks to see something that they will be able to see at home in six weeks for much less, especially since they probably have a really nice hi-def TV at home.
Same reason people aren't going to NFL games.

The home theater experience is too good compared to seeing it on location.

Unless it's capeshit or nu-wars. This king of crap doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.

I can't understand how it's so popular?
What is the attraction to grown adults wearing silly costumes and using supernatural powers?

Bloated budget killed it. Cut it in half.

pretty much these

the only thing cinemas has over my home is that they have superior (but very overpriced) popcorn and that it's still a good excuse to use when I want to meet up with friends in public.

That's just not true.

the bulk of the demographic with the most spending power right now are the generation that grew up with comic books, our time will come when hollywood pumps out anime waifu meme flicks in about 10 years

This.

Just pre-ordered the bluray...

well, uh, no. it IS true. look at long-term industry trends. ticket sales are falling. 2016 saw almost 300 million fewer tickets sold than 2006.

box office receipts are up, but that's due to the steady rise in ticket prices.

in the old days when you'd have to wait six months for something to come out on tape or a year for something to come on HBO, you'd definitely want to go to the theater, plus it only cost 7 bucks.
now, shit's on streaming within a few weeks. if you want to see something but you don't want to pay 20 bucks you can wait a little bit and get it as part of your streaming subscription.

and about home theaters, it's also not that big of a change. if you have a 60 inch screen and a decent sound system, you're getting a pretty good viewing experience. it's not like people are watching on a 24" tube TV anymore.

This.

I was going to call you underage and laugh at you, but then I remembered Sup Forums really is mostly dumb teenagers these days so I guess you're just par for the course.

Don't count on that too much, animefags are almost all poorfags that pirate and they will NOT got to watch a live movie anyway.

Look at GitS.

DESU I went and saw it for the comfy theater experience. I was not let down

Too good for this world

F

Only in US. Apparently it's a hit in Europe and Asia.

Is this the most iconic movie still of the 21st century so far? I think yes

>mfw

but this is USA. What about Europe and Asia. Many a time Europe and Asia saved the day

Their target audience isn't the type to go to the theater.
Compare that to other schlock that came out like Happy Death Day, which is targeted to people who want to shut off their brain with some friends. It was bound to fail.

BR also flopped

You're just going to have to wait another 30 years for another sequel with old Goose and a young, CGI Deckard.

Because women HATED this movie

They hated JOI

>Is this the most iconic movie still of the 21st century so far? I think yes
Seeing as no one saw or cared about this movie apparently, no.

Of course, the real answer is that the budget was too fucking high.

Whatever losses they've incurred is simply the price of gifting the world this piece of pure kinography.

>Is this the most autistic movie still of the 21st century so far? I think yes
FTFY

Because no one remembers Bladerunner if we're being perfectly honest.
Only a small group of people cared about it to begin with.

Nah. I've seen so many movies that are heavily complimented by massive imax screens and professional audio systems. If you're too cheap to spend 20 on a ticket, you're definitely too cheap to spend $5000 on setting up a home theater with high def screens, surround sound and the works. Seeing a movie like BR 2049 on a laptop screen with Ipod headphones would make anyone think it was subpar

Attention spans are only getting shorter and people want surface level entertainment. This is reflected when Deadpool makes a billion dollars

Fucking burgers
Go back to your capeshit then

>nu-male redditor movie deemed a failure
>Sup Forums is upset
You need to go back to r/movies, this was a shit flick.

>2049 bombed
>this means we won't get Denis Villeneuve's Dune like he wanted if it did well

u wot. jesus christ this fucking place.

It was too expensive
It cost 150 million
But it is rated R
Being rated R cuts it off from child and teen audiences, and most ancillary marketing revenue streams: no toys, no merchandise, no happy meal, no underoos, etc

So you need to either cut the budget or cut the rating

IT was rated R.

escapist fare
it acts as a metaphor for the war on terrorism and merikas place in the world
and also teens feelings about their place in the world

18-25 year olds don't care about a sequel to a 35 year old film.

They don't want to go to the cinema to sit for 3 hours.

The movie's length means that it doesn't get that many showings per day.

And it had a budget of 35 million dollars

>usa
>everyone abides the rating

I think the type of people that like Blade Runner probably don't like going to theaters. I'm expecting it to be a cult classic once the discs come out.

this is the sole gripe I have with the film. $150 million? are you serious Hollywood?

I managed to sneak into a theatre, thank god I didn't contribute financially to the gross results

>Look at GitS.
anime fans decided early on that they hated the hollywood GITS and none of them went to see it. it was a case of normies being uninterested in a property and the fans of the original anime being disgusted by how hollywood chose to mainstream it.

>If you're too cheap to spend 20 on a ticket, you're definitely too cheap to spend $5000 on setting up a home theater with high def screens, surround sound and the works.

That logic doesn't follow.

20 dollars spent watching a three-hour slog that beats you over the head with grotesquely obvious symbolism and themes is 20 dollars gone forever. Even if the movie is good, it can be completely ruined by sticky floors, broken-down chairs, the stench of rancid popcorn oil, people chattering, everyone's phones, etc.

5 grand spent on a decent home system is a system I'll have for years and it will improve over a standard setup everything I watch or hear. I get to watch sports on it, movies, play music on it, and all of it is better.

Unless a movie is specifically made for IMAX or 3D, there is literally no reason to see a movie outside of being able to say you saw it in theaters.

>cuts it off from teen audiences
heh, good one. the main audience for this is under 18

But it made more than what Blade Runner was worth and it's an R movie.

the MPAA is very twisted and bias

It also doesn't help that the movie was utter horseshit.
At the end of the day, that's what matters most.

>Apparently it's a hit in Europe and Asia.
it's doing poorly in europe as well. it hasnt openened in any important asian markets (china, korea, japan) yet. that will come next weekend. we will know if villeneuve has a future career after that.

This. I made sure I didn't pay a penny to view BR 2.

Harrison Ford was probably paid 20 million+
Gosling probably got 10-20 million
The CGI would have cost a bit

not even making an effort to troll

I went to the theater and enjoyed it so that logic doesn't work. It bombed because it was too damn long and it wasn't flashy all out crazy action which is the only type of movie that can get the normie masses into theater seats anymore. Can you really blame them though--for a family it's somewhere around $50 just to get in the door then another $50 for food. And now millennials are becoming parents and they're the most frugal generation since the depression because of the recession. I went and saw the movie on a discount early bird showing and my wallet still hurt. Movie theaters are just not worth the money bar maybe a couple films a year.

>it's doing poorly in europe as well
do you have any numbers?

>we won't get Denis Villeneuve's Dune
how is that a bad thing? he can still easly get anything with a medium budget (30-50 million) greenlit based on his track record and reviews. I'm sure he can make some really interesting films without spending the next 3 years on a $150 million fucking 3rd attempt at adapting DUNE.

Its a sequel to a 35 year old movie, how is it targeted toward Teens? Also while I loved the movie Fords acting and the Villain were shit, Gosling and JOI saved this movie.

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=bladerunnersequel.htm

It made 320 million in the North American box office, when you consider that the studios get only 40% of the North American box office gross then against a budget of 35 million that is still very good

But suppose Blade Runner did the same? 320 million in North America against a budget of 150 million - thats not so good to begin with and when you realise they only get 40% of that 320 it suddenly becomes a lot worse, and you enter nightmare mode when you then add in the marketing budget that was probably 50 million+

So for Blade Runner to be profitable it would need to two or three times the business of the all time R rated champ

I wouldn't say that, BR2049 is the first time a Hollywood film had a proper waifu. There's been surprisingly little complaining from feminists as well, compared to shitstorm over nothing around the new Mad Max for example.

you fell for the bait I cant believe it

that's the point. the budget feels too bloated for the output. I enjoyed the film but it deserved the box results it got. Shame it doesn't happen for capeshit films but oh well

Made kino instead of capeshit

>There's been surprisingly little complaining from feminists as well,
this is black propaganda produced by Sup Forums and t_d

That's literally how the original Blade Runner went, though. It too opened up to poor box office sale and, initially, poor reviews from critics. But instead of becoming forgotten the momentum around it built up over the years until it became one of the cult films and one of the acknowledged best films ever.

The sequel has the advantage that it's opening up to extremely strong critical reviews even if the audience is too ADD/retarded to like it.

Domestic: $74,005,203 38.1%
Foreign: $120,100,000 61.9%

Hasn't opened in china, korea, japan so add another $100 mil atleast.
How is that a flop, who is peddling this meme?

Dumb Amerifats weren't ready for it.

What? You just need to spend €1000 to get a decent setup at home.
Animefags don't like 3D, genius.
Also stop saying "normies", you fucking robot.

Americans don't want to go to the movie theater anymore, literally only Hispanics actually go see movies in the theater that aren't capeshit and nu-wars

>boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=bladerunnersequel.htm
thnaks. Is it trully so bad. 70 usa and 140 abroad without eastern asia?

>he thinks the typical consumer of capeshit is people who grew up with comics

lol?

>the bulk of the demographic with the most spending power right now are the generation that grew up with comic books,
Also the millennials in the west, because that's who we're talking about, don't want to grow up and get offended or angry if you tell them something is infantile.

the original also failed in the box office, but later became a classic.
i don't think the will stop Villeneuve from making more movies.
I personally really enjoyed the film and plan on watching it again.
but yeah, i think it's just not to the taste of americans that like dumbed down popcorn flicks.

it needs $400 million before it breaks even. that's how a movie with a $150 million production budget rolls.

looking at how it already bombed in hong kong I dont see it doing well in other asian markets.

nobody likes 3D its a pathetic meme

even with china supposed 100 mil it barelly doubles budget. movie must earn +/- 3x it's budget to be profitable

>people don't realise the original Bladerunner was a box office flop as well

This film was NEVER going to do well, but there is still plenty of solace to be taken from its existence. The fact that a 3 hour-long sci-fi noir with an enormous budget even got made (and turned out pretty good too) is enough for a celebration in my eyes. It shows there are some people working in hollywood still willing to take risks even if a high payoff is unlikely

>it needs $400
hard to believe. 300 maybe but i will never beliebe that marketing is so expensive

>But it is rated R
>Being rated R cuts it off from child and teen audiences
Americans are seriously retarded with prudishness.

>Oh no women have nipples, who could have thought
>THINK OF THE CHILDREN what happens if children see women's nipples
>THEY'LL LITERALLY GROW UP TO BE SEX MANIACS IF THEY SEE WOMEN'S NIPPLE IN A FUCKING FILM BECAUSE IT'S NOT AS IF THEY DIDN'T STARE AT THEIR MOTHERS NIPPLE OR ANYTHING

I bet you the bluray sales will be great

The guy talked about anime. BR has got nothing to do with anime.
Is everyone on this board stupid?

The logic is that the people who are downloading movies to watch at home are very likely to be cheap and/or poor. I'd bet you that the vast majority of the modern movie watchers watch movies on their laptop, tablet or standard def monitor/tv. They say, why spend 20 and go to the theater when I could watch it for free in a couple weeks at home?

These are not the people spending their hard earned money on home theaters. These people are cheap and lazy and young. The majority of movie goers are in the early 20s to mid 30s. These are the people who are still in school, still live with their parents or are just starting their first career and have student debt.

You really think these are the people paying thousands of dollars for home movie theaters? No. They aren't going to the theaters, you're right, but its not because the home viewing experience is superior, it's because staying at home and watching it for free on their laptop is more attractive than going out and spending 20.

>+/- 3x it's budget to be profitable
bullshit

I'm surprised. It's not as good as the original, but it is still the kind of movie you should see in a cinema.

It's actually pretty strict in the US. 17 year olds even have a hard time getting into R rated movies.

they made 3 short movies for marketing purposes. this isn't cheap

3D as in real girls, actresses. You don't know about 3DPD?
Holy shit.

Taking a risk doesn't mean setting yourself up to fail and ruin other peoples chances of doing something thats not a blockbuster
It means doing something that is risky but also being honest about your chances working within your means

no one said it wasnt included in the main amount

>noir
BR2049 is NOT a noir.

Marketing is hella expensive
They dont normally talk about the figures but we can get a clue from Paramount revealing years ago in the GFC that they did delayed the release of Shutter Island because they did not have the 80 million to pay for its marketing campaign

And on top of that, the Box Office take is the GROSS, thats what we all pay when we go
Not NET PROFIT
The studios get approximately 40% of the North American box office, and 2/3 of the Foreign box office
And then after that there is Hollywoods creative accounting

here's an article that breaks down the finances of BR2049, including the $400 million break even point:

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/blade-runner-2049-behind-big-bet-by-alcon-a-sequel-1043128

It sort of is. BR2049 is purest cyberpunk film in a long time and proper cyberpunk inherently has noir elements in it. The detective, the giant faceless metropolis, the femme fatale, the visual direction etc.

Balabans Law
Look it up
A film has to Gross 3 times its budget to break even

I have a 42" plasma and I mostly watch shit on my notebook. Why? Because almost all the stuff that gets made doesn't deserve to be watched on my plasma.
Whoever thought that needing 400k to break even was a good idea is a fucking imbecile.

They'll almost certainly make money on the film, it's almost impossible to lose money nowadays. .The movie still hasn't opened in much of Europe and most important Asian markets.

Plus there's such a thing as lifetime sales like DVD sales or selling rights to HBO and various other companies etc.

>only movie I enjoyed in a long time
>bombed

The movies has got not even a single element of a noir, except the detective. The city is almost absent compared to the first movie, there's no femme fatale, it's almost all shot in daytime.

What the fuck are you talking about?

This is no noir.

>It's not as good as the original