/swco/ - Star Wars Comics & Cartoons

Emperor's New Grove Edition

>Upcoming Releases:
swbooks.net/updates/release-2017.htm

>Out This Week:
Doctor Aphra #3 (January 18th)
Rebels 3.13: "Trials of the Darksaber" (January 21st)

>Episode Preview: Trials of the Darksaber
youtube.com/watch?v=62TogumQlns

>Rebels Recon: Warhead
youtube.com/watch?v=EfCuHRbbTZk

>Download links: (Check here for new Rebels Episodes + Books, Comics, Films, etc)
pastebin.com/nWsKtSya

>Canon Guide:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1KovH_1GYLDTAe3yrleeWiuzwulm670o_anQqr5Rcg/pubhtml

>Legends Recommendation List:
docs.google.com/document/d/147N5EgCnZmcPaDYvnGQwl9cn7BhBroFb7mD2C4cmWb0/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oDAA2Ih4XAs
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Hyperspace_War_Bas-Relief
youtube.com/watch?v=Fs21QP1czZg
youtu.be/L9HmbPJarBA?t=3m35s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for revan

JJ Abrams is a better director, producer and writer than Geroge Lucas

I can't be arsed looking up what happened between jedi and mandalorians. Somebody spoonfeed me cliff notes.

>director
yeah
>producer
maybe
>writer
Hahahaha

The Emperor does like his trees.

A war. Jedi won. That's literally all we know.

What was so bad about TOR again?

The Emperor is a staunch environmentalist.

Did they ever have a threesome?

Cuck

When? Is this old republic shit or clone wars era?

Yoder is sad. The tree just wants to lift off and take flight like the tree-wings of old. Locking s-foilage in attack position and making someone bite their keyboard because they've heard that joke before. Truly a thing of beauty.

There once was a war between jedi and mangolaureates.

But no one actually gave a shit because both of them are fucking stupid.

>black core crystals.
>Bioware's Laziness.
>Killing Kira

The entire story revolves around the Sith Emperor who's the cringiest edgy fanfiction OC that's ever managed to get into something halfway official.

Old Republic. The Darksaber was stolen from the Jedi Temple during its fall according to Pre Vizsla.

Old Republic. During the Clone wars, Mandalorian were the shadow of their former selves.

>The Darksaber was stolen from the Jedi Temple during its fall according to Pre Vizsla.

They stole it during another war (against the sith) I don't think Mandalorian made any Jedi Temple fall.

>How exactly would you surrender to the clones?
I haven't the slightest clue.
>And with the chips in their heads, would they even allow them to surrender?
You'd certainly think so. Perhaps there were stragglers in the temple (Sentinel-Grinky and some younglings/later Inquisitors) and when they were found, Sheev had told the troops to apprehend them instead of killing them.

I'm imagining that the Grand Inquisitor probably sheltered a bunch of younglings, probably in some concealed air-duct or something, until they were discovered. A weird twist of what he was to what he'd become. As a Sentinel during O66, he tried to save some innocent kids cared for them. As the Grand Inquisitor, second only to Vader, he probably tormented and loathed them.

>black core crystals
pic related
>Bioware's laziness
Fuck, you got me there.
>Killing Kira
What?

There are plenty of other characters edgier than him.

Namely, EU Sidious.

I'm just going off the transcript of the episode where the Darksaber made its first appearance.

>This lightsaber was stolen from your Jedi Temple by my ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic.

>the cringiest edgy fanfiction OC that's ever managed to get into something halfway official.

You never read really bad EU books to say this.

Sith engaged mandalorian, their ancestors could have stolen the saber in a plenty of wars.

>>black core crystals
>Pic Related
You know that saber has nothing to do with Lightsaber. Maybe he's not even using a crystal.

Black Lightsaber using a black core crystal is still stupid.

>Locking s-foilage in attack position

Fucking-A, user!

>>Killing Kira

in the Master Ranos introduction speech, she said that Kira is probably dead, killed by the Eternal empire.

Brian blessed could have saved the phantom menace if they used him more. Boss Nass was the fucking best. Instead we get hours of Jarjar.

>You know that saber has nothing to do with Lightsaber
is it not a lightsaber?

There may be edgier characters but he's far cringier.

>Born with eyes as black as "the void of space"
>Born showing no emotions, not even crying
>Animals avoided him because he was born evil I guess
>Murdered his stepfather at six years old with the Force
>Turned around and tortured his mother for months for reasons
>Begins conquering the planet at six years old
>At ten years old his real Sith dad tracks him down
>Defeats a fully trained Sith Lord at ten, strips him of his power, drives him insane, murders him
>Finishes conquering the planet at 13
>Bestowed the title of Sith Lord by Marka Ragnos for doing it
>Goes back home and rules his planet for a hundred years

and that's just the beginning

>This lightsaber was stolen from your Jedi Temple by my ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic.
Based on Rau's story, I think Pre's take on those events are a bit embellished/biased. Pre's sounds like it was a raid/sacking of the temple. Rau's sounds like Pre's ancestor burgled the Darksaber out of the Temple.

>Brian blessed

Blessed played Boss Nass?
>google search
Holy fuck...

It doesn't work the same way. Light saber create a light beam, the dark saver cover an existing blade. Two things not working the same way aren't the same thing. Like a gun and a rifle.

The Emperor is pretty much a villain sue. KOTET cemented this.

>Hey, remember the Emperor? This while time he built ANOTHER superior empire in another galaxy far far away
>Those times he went in isolation? He spent his time in his other body building that superior empire!

I'd be mad but I then I remember none of this shit is canon so maybe that's why Bioware stopped giving a fuck as well.

>the dark saver cover an existing blade.
since when?

I mean, it's a pretty low bar, but yeah, obviously.

>Watching Richard II last night
>Something reeeeeal familiar about the Duke of York
>Bugs be the whole time
>All of a sudden it hits me
>Holy shit it's Sio_fucking_Bibble

youtube.com/watch?v=oDAA2Ih4XAs

>Based on Rau's story, I think Pre's take on those events are a bit embellished/biased. Pre's sounds like it was a raid/sacking of the temple. Rau's sounds like Pre's ancestor burgled the Darksaber out of the Temple.

I know it's from legend, but it's Shae Vizla who stole it during the SWTOR's coruscant fall. So i see it from a sacking temple, but made by the Sith, helped by some mandalorians.

So you really enjoyed the dialogue of all the romance scenes in Attack, huh?

Attack is literally the perfect movie and Lucas is the messiah come back.

He's probably confused because of the shape of the blade and that the Darksaber, when in development during TCW, was originally meant to be an actual sword until George said no. So thy changed it to a Lightsaber instead.

It have a different hilt from the TCW one, i remember that one with having a real blade under the light beam.

And Maul says the saber is not like any you would know. So it clearly doesn't work the same way.

>i remember that one with having a real blade under the light beam.
It literally never did, user. Not in the show.

Probably a mix of both, depending on how the war went.

What bugs me about the darksaber is its shape. Whilst most lightsabers are just sort of symmetrical sticks of light, the darksaber has a definite shape with a single 'sharpened' looking edge like an actual saber.
Can it cut with both edges? Is the other edge 'blunt'?

That's why it can't be a regular Lightsaber, it works in another way than the others.

Lightsabers, more than likely, work based on ultracold plasma held in place with an incredibly strong magnetic field.
The Dark Saber would not work like a backsword. It would be completely capable of cutting with both sides. The shape is purely for the looks, much like Bane's polearm.

Do we have other ancient painting/drawing from ancient Star Wars?

The sketches used for the SWTOR timeline videos should have used an ancient art style.

>Heard you talk shit about my thousand times folded black hole light absorbing katana saber

There's the frieze in Palpatine's office.
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Hyperspace_War_Bas-Relief

>blade doesn't even line up with the grip

What did they mean by this?

>Can it cut with both edges? Is the other edge 'blunt'?

It can probably cut even from the flat of the blade. But cutting via the edge is likely cleaner. Honestly, making the Darksaber the weapon of a Mandalorian Jedi is just a bit of damage control. As mentioned in , the Darksaber was originally designed by the production to be an actual sword. But they made a quick change to the blade when George said no to no man-made substances being able to go against a Lightsaber.

In honesty, it's really the best route the could go on to justify it being a Lightsaber wrought with the obvious Mandalorian cubism aesthetic.

>Clones are space niggers
What did Krell mean by this

>when George said no to no man-made substances being able to go against a Lightsaber.

*no to man-made substances being able to go against a Lightsaber.

My bad.

More PT era games when?

When Filoni's trilogy will show to normies that PT is actually good.

theres already been four trash movies about it, isn't that enough?

'Sup JJ.

One thing I like about nu-canon is that when EU elements are introduced they are pretty similar at their core, just lack specifics. Like the war between the Mandalorians and the Jedi. We know it happened but there's no Revan or Mandalore the Ultimate mentioned.
I won't be surprised if nu-Bane also had a shitty life on a mining world until he was recruited by the Sith.

I'll take that as a yes

I've always wondered, does killing your master in their sleep violate the rule of two?

Because surely that doesn't guarantee that the most powerful sith lives on.

or are backhanded methods encouraged due to the reliance of deception by sith under the rule?

the rule of two makes little sense.
hell the Sith don't make much sense.

is mandalorian iron no longer canon?

also what about the magnaguard electrostaffs?

>I've always wondered, does killing your master in their sleep violate the rule of two?

What you should wonder about, is why Sheev admit about how sneaky he is with that story.

They should have put a few of those in the CIS rebel episode.

There were several on Mandalore

>when she sees your dick

>is mandalorian iron no longer canon?
Not that I'm aware. It's possible, but I don't think they see any particular reason to give them super awesome metals on top of everything else.

>also what about the magnaguard electrostaffs?
You mean are they canon? Of course.

>You mean are they canon? Of course.
He probably meant go against a lightsaber.
Force weapons can do that, and that just makes George look retarded for going full sperg with darksaber.

I meant can't the electrostaffs go against a lightsaber

>Those frieze
>Mandalorian are peaceful people.

Oh that one. The electricity can fend them off, but Lucas was quite adamant that nothing can resist a lightsaber except another lightsaber or, yeah, certain kinds of energy fields.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fs21QP1czZg

We still have scenes where metal appears to resist them both in TFA and ROTS, but those are apparently whoopsies.

>is mandalorian iron no longer canon?
That is correct. And even if it is re-canonized, George pretty much laid down that no physical substance, save for a Zillo-beast hide, natural or man-made, can stand against the blade of a Lightsaber. And Dave and the LSG seem to stick with George's word.

>what about the magnaguard electrostaffs?
Only the ends housed in energy fields can stand against. Like a Zygerian whip or a FO Baton. The actual shafts can be cut.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong

>Only the ends housed in energy fields can stand against. Like a Zygerian whip or a FO Baton. The actual shafts can be cut.
Revenge of the Sith's fight scenes directly contradict this, nice one George.

Bullshit

Mauls saber works in a different way than the others, it can't be a lightsaber. Kylo's saber doesn't work the same as the others, it can't be a lightsaber.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, it's PROBABLY a type of duck.

In any case, I don't see how calling it a special snowflake one of a kind ancient OC donut steel totally not a lightsaber sword somehow makes it more reasonable than a black colored lightsaber.

>Revenge of the Sith's fight scenes directly contradict this, nice one George.

See >We still have scenes where metal appears to resist them both in TFA and ROTS, but those are apparently whoopsies.

Errors in the actor's portrayal of the fight. It's still meant that only the electrified parts are what resist the blade. Otherwise the electrified parts wouldn't be added in post.

You know, this actually makes a helluva lot of sense and I can see why he'd have nixed lightsaber resistant metals. Because if such materials exist, why the hell are lightsaber housing materials made of the damn stuff?

Though for what it is worth Palpatine's lightsabers are still said to be nearly indestructible. Phrik with an electrum finish. I'd hazard one of the things that could, shall we say, destruct them is a lightsaber blade.

I watched it last night, the shaft of a staff definitely blocks a saber at one point. During the fight on the bridge.

Are you fucking stupid?

>Otherwise the electrified parts wouldn't be added in post.
Although logical, and I'm not disputing you in light of what Lucas has said on the matter, it does raise the question of why they didn't correct the times when it did. It's interesting now that we have two films making the same mistake. Sure, it happens, but it's still... interesting, I guess?

Explain me why it's called darksaber now genius?
It's the same kind of difference like a gun and a rifle have. Both are weapons, but not of the same kind.

youtu.be/L9HmbPJarBA?t=3m35s
>if you have a laser sword that can cut through anything and do anything then you're sort of stuck

his own words

3:35 btw

Is that guernica?

>it does raise the question of why they didn't correct the times when it did. It's interesting now that we have two films making the same mistake. Sure, it happens, but it's still... interesting, I guess?

Because with everything in filming, you have to use the best take of a scene you filmed.The takes they used were the ones where the actors and stuntmen fucked up the least.

They may not be ideal, but it's the best they could manage and what they have to work with.

>Is that guernica?

With some Picasso thrown in, yes.

Yeh, Mandos in general are into cubism
>guernica
>With some Picasso thrown in
You do know that Guernica is Picasso, right?

Because it's a saber that is dark.

In any case, your comparison isn't relevant. If they work so similarly than why is it even an issue?

Edgy isn't inherently bad. A character can be comically edgy, or neccesarily/thematically edgy. Most sith are. The difference is that emperor valkorion has all of the power and none of the charm.

On the other hand he's not that bad. The sith are inherently evil, and some force users are more powerful than others. These traits don't seem like stretches.

You might consider it a degree of irony involved. Lucas is very particular about getting everything right and making sure what goes on screen most carefully matches his vision. With ROTS you can excuse it because it's Anakin and a droid fighting in the background practically but they add in the sparks of the impact, just not the energy ribbon. So while you can excuse it because they aren't exactly fighting right in front of the camera (as Finn and Nines were) you) someone still added one effect and not the other. George you might expect would have crawled through looking for flubs like that. If he missed it, I wouldn't have been surprised if he didn't plan on fixing it in a later edition. That never happened, of course.

>If they work so similarly

How do you know about how they work, professor?

>You do know that Guernica is Picasso, right?
No no, just the ear.

Is this confused enough or should we go deeper?

No I'm fucking your mom