Where are the fun fairy tale-like fantasy adventure romps like The Princess Bride, Legend and Willow?

Where are the fun fairy tale-like fantasy adventure romps like The Princess Bride, Legend and Willow?

Most fantasy films always go for the gritty/serious action route, I miss these carefree tales of swashbuckling and adventure surrounded by a magical-yet-comical atmosphere straight out of a children's fantasy novel.

The most recent examples of this I can think of are Stardust and Tangled.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U6twirriE-s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Too narrow of an audience to be profitable

>Too narrow of an audience

I don't know, Disney-like fantasy films don't sound that niche.

Are you kidding? Princess Bridge is almost universally beloved.
Does anyone actually not enjoy this movie?
Now that I've said that, contrarians will now post that the movie is garbage

because the first question anyone will ask when being pitched a light fantasy movie is "is this better than the princess bride?" the issue is the bar is set so high most people won't bother.

also stardust

Yeah but it's easier to make it more serious and gritty so it can still be enjoyed by little kids but also allows adults to convince themselves it's not a childrens movie - see: the MCU

It's not garbage, but it's certainly overrated. There were much better 80s fantasy films, but that one is held up as the pinnacle of the genre for some reason.

its kinda sad how upset people are about the MCU

feel free to name the better ones

you can't

Are you saying adults can't enjoy the Princess Bride?

It's a good flick but I unironically HATE the $20 synthesizer "score". It is so, so, so trash.

I'm saying it doesn't have the same mass appeal as other movies

I'm just using it as an example, it's insanely popular and the reason is because it appeals to literally every audience there is

Except it does.
Princess Bride appeals to literally everyone. That's why its so beloved.

Cult followings 30 years after the movie was released don't make money for the studio

It's weird to give the MCU as an example, since most of that isn't gritty and serious at all. The second and third Captain America movie and arguably the first half of Incredible Hulk were more dark and serious, but nothing compared to Nolan's Batman and Snyder's cape movies. Although I grant you that the MCU movies for the most part don't have the feel of old fantasy adventure romps. Maybe the GotG movies have them for younger audiences.

If you are talking about epic fantasy specifically, LotR might be to blame. The more gritty and 'realistic' medieval elements fit this story, but its succes might have negatively influenced hollywood trends the same way that GoT has done for TV. Look at the more grimdark Roque One and STD.

also Stardust

>make money for the studio
That's not the point.
Fantasy movies like the Princess Bride appeal to everyone and would make good bank so why don't they make them anymore?

It's gritty and serious enough to convince people they aren't children's movies while still being children's movies. That means it appeals to two audiences at once for the cost of one movie - every studios wet dream.

>make money for the studio
>That's not the point.
That's the entire point, movies don't get made if they aren't profitable.

I didn't like these films but you might.

Neverending Story

>That's the entire point
You're an idiot who can't follow a conversation.

Because they already made the princess bride.

What part of this are you not understanding? No matter what they try, they're competing with the princess bride, and you simply can't compete with the princess bride.

KRULL

Good pick. Also Return to Oz.

Neverending story, while good, is not better than Princess Bride. It just has a better "feels" moment. aka, when artax dies.

So what your saying is "why bother making more movies since they can't be better than Princess Bride"?
In that case why did they ever do drama movies after Twelve Angry Men? It was perfect after all.

Oh man Stardust was great.

I'm saying, as a studio, yes, that is exactly the reason they don't bother trying to make more in the genre of the princess bride as the peak of that mountain has already been scaled.

Yet studios still do it to this very day, contrary to what you say.

>drama is a genre

oh fuck son, you just went past full retard.

The best version of Babes in Toyland.

>studios make light fantasy princess bride style movies every day

... how fucking stupid are you? really?

Its the same broad genre definition as OP's "comfy fantasy".

Labyrinth

How fucking stupid are YOU?
Studios try to top whatever giant exists in every genre all the time. And they almost never succeed. But they still try.

Except that's wrong.

You're basically implying studios have tried to top gone with the wind numerous times.

Though the 1930s version had a creepy ripoff of Mickey Mouse in it. Disney got pissed.

youtube.com/watch?v=U6twirriE-s

... yea I just realized the OP included legend and willow as if they're remotely similar to princess bride.

Holy fuck this thread is stupid and I feel stupid for replying at all.

>implying they haven't

Why is it that I rarely hear any praise for Robin Wright on here? She has been a diverse actor for over 3 decades now and nominated for multiple Emmys and Oscars and on my milf list, but I never see a single thread about her films or shows...

shes forgettable, which is basically the reason she keeps getting work.

is that daredevil and juliet?

>these gymnastics to avoid liking the MCU
Almost 90 percent of the MCU is enjoyable and watchable, about half of that are actually really great stand alone films, which still leaves you at over a dozen films.

>so why don't they make them anymore?
Well that's easy. It's the same reason certain kinds of games are barely made anymore.

What used to be considered a big hit is now considered sub-par or even a failure.
In games 200k used to be a bestseller, now that's "we mainstream publishers won't even bother funding it" kind of money.

In other words, the money involved in each film and the expected returns for the people who're paying for it have ballooned out of control to the point that only those movies with the most mass-moneymaking potential will get funded. Hence the focus on China, dumb spectacle movies and so on. (the exceptions to this are mainly hollywood internal political movies made to return favors like Oscar bait or vanity projects by wealthy well-connected directors like with Mel)

The Dark Crystal is literally kino, and better than anything that came out in that decade by a huge margin.

If you weren't going to offer anything to this conversation then why post?

It is Claire Daines. I don't know about the guy. Robert Deniro plays a crossdressing pirate captain snd Michelle Pfeifer is the queen of MILFs in it.

So what your saying is, hollywood sucks now.
I coulda come up with that.

>Qahhh Hollywood sucks now in the decade I grew up in!
It's the most sure fire "criticism" to show how young you are.

huntsman wintertale was pretty damn comfy

Are cartoons allowed? The Last Unicorn is kino.

Well yeah, but it's mainly a question of the investors and costs.
Expensive as fuck unions combined with greedy as fuck investors.

And unlike games the market for low-to-middle cost movies is not as strong as it used to be. Netflix and similar platforms are partly gobbling up that neglected market, which is why Hollywood hates it so much.

Amy Adams is great in this.

t. A fucking idiot

When is Netflix going to fold?
They never make anything good.

You mean Huntsman: Winter's War?

Isn't that a sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman?

Yes, yes they are.

The studio that made The Last Unicorn also made The Hobbit animated film which is more kid friendly than the live action version.

>Netflix doesn't make anything good
>has won at least 1 Emmy for the last half decade
Lol ok

Define children's movie. If you see all simple adventurous stories, dark or not, that use archetypes and escapist melodrama as 'children's movies', then almost all big block busters from hollywood and beyond can be considered children's movies.The Terminator, Jurrasic Park, basically all action movies, Star Wars, James Bond, all children's movies.

Grownups can enjoy movies that aren't dark and realistic or adult. If they aren't specifically aimed at children - they avoid sesame street level character interactions - but are exciting enough or simple enough for children they are what we used to call 'a family film'. I think that's what the OP and most others were referring to.

Your claim that grimdark fantasy and scifi is the dominant trend is only half true. As I said, LotR, Nolan's Batman Trilogy and the success of dark TV series like The Walking Dead and GoT have inspired studio's to embrace grimdark.

At the same time, the Harry Potter books and movies were an enormous success the last 16 years precisely because they were also reaching adults. You claim Marvel has reached a large audience by 'tricking' people into thinking their movies are dark and serious, even though it appears the opposite is true: people often like them for their humorous tone and self-conscious almost cheesy style, which is exactly why others don't like them - see many on this board. So, I don't understand why you seem to suggest that Hollywood is avoiding eighties style fun fantasy adventures only because of audience appeal/current trends while fantasy is more mainstream than ever, easier to produce due to CGI, and multiple lighthearted movies with crossover appeal (i.e. family movies) were enormously succesful over the past decade. And I don't understand why you pick the MCU as an example that people want dark and serious and not the much better example of most DC movies.

>it won awards it must be good!

Good small budget games are a rarity too actually so I think its something that doesn't have to with each specific industry.

Lol There is always one of you. Okay faggot, so let's say awards don't matter...fine. I'll concede that point. Does viewership and number of subscriptions matter?

As soon as someone better, equivalent in marketing and superior in product quality, comes along.
Amazon Prime could do it, HBO could do it, Hulu could do it, some random startup could do it. They all would need to improve massively of course.
Steam was an absolute shitpile for the first 6 years or so.

Dragonslayer is darker than the others films. It is more in line with Legend. It's a fun movie.

Quality of content matters.
I'm not agreeing that they don't make ANYTHING good but you can't seriously suggest Orange is the New black is good just because of popularity and awards

yeah thats the one, shit was just simple fun

Subscriptions don't indicate whether or not their original shows are good cause a lot of people just sub to netflix to get old shows on demand.

The difference is mainly that they're being made and funded now that Steam proved their viability, and every single half-decent one gets courted by Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo to get a port for their consoles.
Decent indie to middle-sized studio games getting funded and made dwarf the number of decent movie to middle-sized movies by a huge margin. (partly because of costs, partly because of platform availability)

Dragonheart is another dragon movie. Sean Connery plays the dragon and Denis Quaid is a dragon slayer out for revenge but they end up forming a partnership to con hick villagers and eventually become friends.

I'm asking you for some sort of concrete metric for success, not some nebulous debate on aesthetics since there is no "bad" art. Your post earlier suggested that Netflix should fold soon because they aren't some measure of successful. So I asked you, how are you measuring that? The company makes billions a year and is still one of the most lucrative streaming companies on the planet.

How do you suggest we measure quality of content in a meaningful way?

That wasn't the argument.

That faggot doesn't know, it's the same "everything sucks" contrarian bullshit this site does.

The Pirates of the Caribbean movies are pretty close to this concept, instead of Fairytale england its just Fairytale ocean

>literally what Thor 3 is

I tried to differentiate that I wasn't the user in your conversation. You're right there, it's laughable to think Netflix should give up when their shitty business model is working so well.

By only caring about your own opinion when it comes to quality, and being able to analyze opposite opinions for the root of disagreement between you and the other person.
Or you could just be a whiny baby like,

>now their business model is shitty
You're just grasping at straws, mate. HOW is it shitty while at the same time being the number one streaming site on the fucking globe? Use your big boy words.

There is also the Narnia films, Golden Compass and Erogon.

Erogon is especially terrible. Golden Compass is just boring. But I like the Narnia films.

I don't think you know what whining is.

>okay you win
>b-b-but it is still shitty teehee
Kill yourself.

I don't think you're wrong, but that does make any debate about quality pretty pointless, especially on a site like this. Statements like "Netflix never makes anything good" are meaningless since it's all just autistic screeching on Sup Forums.

Awards are by far the best metric of quality we have.

jack the giant slayer was alri

>billions of debt is popular knowledge
>it's recently a joke in other comedy shows to make fun of Netflix buying every show regardless of quality
>increasing the monthly rate without announcing it to all subscribers
>common knowledge that all of their "good" shows are only distributed by them, not produced.
>normie "journalism" websites are publishing articles asking if season 2 of Stranger Things is unnecessary.
Again, I'm saying their bad business model is SUCCESSFUL. But it's inefficient, misleading to their customers, and not sustainable.
Googoogahgah

They're not billions in debt, that's a meme.

Robin Williams killed himself

Jesus fuck, almost all of this greentext was made up bullshit or nonsense. Who gives a shit what some blog thinks of Stranger Things? It is also objectively wrong to say they don't produce their shows.

You're a brainlet.

No, I think I know what whining is; do you?

That isn't an example of whining.

what about when the bear king punches that dudes jaw clean off

>some blog
Esquire magazine
What good Netflix show do they produce as a studio and not just commission?

Jesus Christ you redditors are illiterate

A don't remember that part. Did that really happen in a kid's movie? I remember two polar bears fighting to see who would rule and a battle with an army of polar bears.

I also liked Ghibli's Howl's Moving Castle. It's a anime but it takes place in Europe. The fantasy creatures that exist in it are unique but it does have a lot of magic in it.

yeah if you watch it back at the end of their fight he gets him big with a smokin joe frazier left hook and the other bears lower jaw breaks clean off

then he finishes it with the neck bite

House of Cards reboot and Beasts of No Nation you dumb tard. You have no clue what you are talking about.

>y-y--you rebbit
You said that post was a whine, I said it wasn't. Please explain what makes me illiterate here.

>Esquire magazine doesn't like the concept of a S2 of Stranger Things
Who gives a fuck?

Marvel has one coming out next week.

>that detail