DC Multiverses and Hypercrisis

I'm looking to pick the brains of people that know a lot of DC. I've been interested in the DC multiverses for a bit and have been thinking about how it was revealed that there are multiple multiverses. In the comic 52 they used the term megaverse, so I will use the word megaverse for the collection of multiverses.

I've been looking through to see just how many multiverses are known in the DC megaverse and thought I would share all the ones I could come up with. Starting off with

>Local 52
Seen in Multiversity and the main DC books. Contains 52 universes. Pic related is a map for it. It's where most DC mainline books take place.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGDoIFvVAwM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Multiverse 2
A multiverse now dead and destroyed by the Empty Hand. Seen briefly in Multiversity. Not much is known about what it was like before it was destroyed.
Some theories about it being representative of Marvel destroying their multiverse in Secret Wars.

Pic related, is Empty Hand.

>Pre Crisis Multiverse
DC used to have a multiverse containing an infinite number of universes. However it was destroyed in Crisis on Infinite Earths. That was not the end though.
Seen in Convergence, heroes traveled back in time and prevented the destruction of the multiverse by the Anti-Monitor. This would then send all those universes in the multiverse on a divergent path spinning off into a multiverse parallel to the Local 52. Think of it like when you travel back in time to create a divergent timeline. Here it made a divergent multiverse existing parallel to the Local 52 Multiverse.

This multiverse is infinite in the number of universes and all the old universes seen pre crisis continue in their stories and characters continue their lives here as stated at the end of Convergence.

Coming to the 4th multiverse in the DC megaverse we have.

>KFC Multiverse
As seen in the KFC comics.
This is a multiverse in which all universes are bonded together and share a common element. That being fried chicken and Colonel Sanders.

I include it even though it was a commercial grab, in an attempt to be very inclusive of as many works, and because it is one of the few recent multiverse stories, and also pretty good.

IMO the other multiverses include the CW multiverses and the DCAU multiverse. Frank Miller probably has a multiverse of his stuff as well. Basically every elseworld has to fit somewhere.

>Multiverse V
Note that plenty of titles and works released by Vertigo fit just fine into the mainline DC books in the Local 52. This multiverse is for the others.

Seen in stand alone works like Sherrif of Babylon as well as works that have crossed with DC like Preacher and Hellblazer. Back when DC had their main multiverse as only one single universe large, Vertigo was releasing works not set in it.
The universes being in another multiverse from the Local 52 flows with the meta narrative of the works in Vertigo being a different imprint. These universes differ from Local 52 in various ways from a Constantine that ages to God being killed or leaving.
Of note is that because some cross overs occurred we can see how The Endless (and possibly Lucifer and the Presence too) may be cross multiverse entities able to exist as the same being in more than one multiverse. Such as Dream in the Vertigo universe is the same Dream in the Local 52, or Death making the Saint of Killers an aspect and transporting him to the Hitman setting. Expanding this further, if Dream is a cross multiverse being so would be his realm, which explains how the Gentry used dreams to cross over to the Local 52 from a different multiverse, Multiverse 2. Take for example the Tavern Arc of Sandman. It takes place outside the singular universe DC had at the time in a place like the Dreaming. It connects all the various multiverses and the people in the tavern are people from across many multiverses traveling through the Dreaming as the events of one multiverse, Zero Hour, push them to stay in the tavern.
You could also interpret the ending of Hellblazer not as John dying but him pulling one last con escaping a dying multiverse the Presence left, and the new young John that now will never age or die is him. Or perhaps into our world having escaped comic book crap.

Pic related is a cap someone made about Death the Endless and aspects of death from an old hypercrisis thread.

Multiverse 2 is the pre-Flashpoint version of the 52 that was created by Mr. Mind.

The KFC Multiverse isn't a thing; it's the regular 52. It just happens that every one of thr 52 has some version of KFC.

>Hanna Barbera Multiverse
Seen in Future Quest, Flintstones and Scooby Doo.
Continuing on the meta narrative idea of a collection of comics in a separate imprint being a collection of universes in a separate multiverse, the Hanna Barbera comics would be set in another multiverse.
The Hanna Barbera books don't fit within any universe in the Local 52 and are in separate universes from each other. For example Scooby Doo Apocalypse is a comic book in Future Quest. In Multiversity, the idea was shown that universes appear in other universes as comics throughout the multiverse. This would mean Scooby Doo exists as a parallel universe to Future Quest within a multiverse.

Pic related, by the way, is the page from 52 where Rip Hunters calls it a megaverse that I mentioned before.

Finally the seventh and last multiverse I am aware of.

>CW Multiverse
The shows Flash, Arrow and Supergirl do have tie in comics and so I include them here.
This multiverse is stated to be infinite. It covers the universes seen in the live action shows on the CW.
Whether or not all live action works fit into this multiverse, I can't say one way or the other. There isn't anything really to say that they aren't or are.

Anyways, those are all the multiverses in the DC megaverse I could think of. If there are any I missed or you think I forgot, please post and we can see just how many multiverses we can find.

Hypertime, son.
All possible multiverses exist in a sea of Hypertime.

I included the CW multiverse. You beat me to it.

DCAU fits in the Local 52. We see Justice Lords got an Earth and the cartoon Batman Beyond which presumably had the JL/JLU.

Frank Miller is one of the things I'm not sure how to place.

The Local 52 as seen in Rebirth is the pre-Flashpoint version of the 52 Mr Mind created.
Also the KFC story included differences in setting for some worlds and included universes not in the Local 52 such as Teen Titans Go.

Hypertime is a great way to explain how the old infinite pre-crisis multiverse exists as well as a separate 52 post flashpoint multiverse exists.
In the stream of time, people in Convergence traveled to a part of the river and while one current went on to have CoIE to Rebirth they were able to divert a second current to flow with the pre-crisis setting in tack.

>Frank Miller probably has a multiverse of his stuff as well
Has Miller written stuff with multiverses or just written an elseworld setting he expanded on?

The DCAU Earths in Multiversity are actually just the DCAU comics, specifically the Batman Beyond digital comic.

I mean, they're basically identical. But technically the Local multiverse is supposed to only cover comic books.

>representative of Marvel destroying their multiverse in Secret Wars.

But isn't it multiverse 7 now? Or was that about the 616 universe itself?

I see where you are coming from. Looks like a classic grouper vs splitter argument. Are DCAU cartoons and DCAU comics grouped together for being basically identical settings or split apart because of the different mediums?

Metaphor for the 616 itself is the popular reading. Universe 7 is the Marvel stand in universe but obviously different for copyright and that it is a universe not a multiverse that Marvel has.

I am surprised that Manhattan was powerful enought to alter the Presence and Lucifer.

Post more Rip Hunter user.

Manhattan current powers and capabilities are very unknown to us now. How were The Presence and Lucifer changed post Flashpoint? I know there is a current Lucifer comic but haven't read it.

Over in DC's Multiverse and in "Multiversity", the destruction of Earth-7 was not a jab at Marvel destroying their multiverse, but rather destroying the Ultimate Universe (Earth-1610). Earth-8 is the analogue for Marvel's Earth-616.

At Marvel, after "Secret Wars" it was hinted that Marvel's Earth-616 was in its eighth iteration, and thus was defined "Universe-8". Unfortunately, because everybody at Marvel other than Al Ewing can't and/or won't give two shits about the Marvel Multiverse and its meta-cosmology, that's pretty much going to be ignored.

Here's his notes.

Here's another.

It says Ignore Countdown.

I miss Rip Hunter's chalkboard. Where is he anyway? Shouldn't he be investigating what's going on?

Some noteworthy stuff:
Superman's son
Te versus Au+Pb (Tellurium, atomic number 52, versus Gold+Lead, 79+82)
The Reach and the Scarab
Someone is Monitoring

Some stuff being done in Rebirth.

There is a prime earth Presence and there is also a Prime earth Lucifer.

I can't think of anything he's done since Flashpoint.

Convergence.
Can you post him wearing his green jacket senpai?

I feel like he should be a pretty big part of what's going on right now. Time is getting fucked with. It'd be like if someone was fucking with Gotham and Batman is all "Eh, someone else can deal with this, I'm a take a batnap."

This one?
More notes anyways.

Thanks

somebody post the ultramenstruum screencap

The one from the old Sup Forums thread?

This one?

The Beyond comics for a time weren't sure if they'd follow the main comics continuity or the DCAU cartoons continuity. You had them bringing a version of Hush and referencing things like Batman Inc as if it was something that had happened in the past. Then when they finally decided to follow the DCAU continuity they still got things wrong because most of the writers were hacks that hadn't watched the cartoons.

Did the Justice Lords show up in the comic?

Yes, they did, but it was awful. Christo Cage treated them as if they were a version of Crime Syndicate with the Justice Lords being pure evil instead of being the same as the main universe's heroes if the Flash had been killed by Lex and Justice League decided to be more proactive as a result.

So you've Justice Lord Superman as comically evil and dating Justice Lord Wonder Woman, despite in the cartoon him being very level headed and still into his universe's Lois. You also had this waaay convoluted plot about him having a clone-baby with main universe's Wonder Woman, just because.

Wouldn't Justice Lord Lois and Superman be much older in Batman Beyond's time?

you underestimate what you can accomplish just by moving nonscientific particles from one place to another

He was with Justice Lord Wonder Woman in the past.

In flashbacks is told that they regained their powers, because Lex lied about his weapon sapping meta-human's powers permanently, and so Justice Lord Batman calls for the main universe's Justice League help again. The Justice League do, but because they've also to deal with Despero in their universe they must return, but Wonder Woman decides to remain in the Justice Lords' universe to be with JLBatman, because he reciprocates her feelings.
Then as soon as that happens Justice Lord Superman and Justice Lord Wonder Woman, who are super evil and lovers, attack JLBatman and Wonder Woman, this seconds before JLBatman was ready to finish create a suit of armor made of kryptonite. So JLWonder Woman kills JLBatman, Wonder Woman kills JLWonder Woman out of revenge and in the process loses her lasso because she took a life, JLSuperman fights Wonder Woman, but they end up in stalemate.
They continue to war for years, because of course Wonder Woman can't contact the main universe again to ask for help, and since their war isn't going anywhere despite both sides having tons of followers they decide to arrange a political marriage to strike a sort of peace between both sides. So JLSuperman and main universe's Wonder Woman marry and years later JLSuperman decides to have a super-baby to have a heir, this despite both being quasi-immortals. For some reason main universe's Wonder Woman goes with it and they create a clone-baby, because she despised JLSuperman and wouldn't have sex with him. So their plan was to raise the child each teaching their kid their own philosophies, basically using their clone-baby thing as a pawn in their little spat.
But then the baby is kidnapped by main universe's Brainiac and given to main universe's Uxar in the Phantom Zone. This whole thing pretty much being an excuse to explain the origin of this kryptonian kid from the Phantom Zone that showed waay before in the comic.

The more I learn of the Batman Beyond comics the more I wish I hadn't.

Forgot to add, the Justice Lords characters finally manage to go to the main universe, including main universe's Wonder Woman, who after all these years living in the Justice Lords' universe became battle-hardened and violent, because of course DCAU Wonder Woman would have to end up like all the crazed Elseworlds Wonder Woman. Main universe's Superman even suspect that she may be JLWonder Woman trying to con everyone. So JLSuperman manage to go to main universe as well to confront his "wife" and reclaim his kryptonian son that has been raised by main universe's Superman for the last few arcs way before this story-line. JLSuperman of course behaving super evil.
The whole thing ends with main universe's Terry going to the Justice Lords' universe to finish JLBatman suit made out of kryptonite, that for some reason has been sitting there unfinished all these years, and so he comes back to main universe wearing the suit to battle JLSuperman and save the day. Main universe's Wonder Woman and her followers from the Justice Lords' universe decide to go back home with JLSuperman and his followers in custody, but her Justice Lords follower tells her to stay in her home universe, because she, like JLSuperman, represents the old way and their universe needs a new start. So Wonder Woman decides to remain in the main universe.
Now the kryptonian kid, after learning his extremely convoluted origin, hates main universe's Wonder Woman for creating him with an evil man just because she wanted to use a child as a pawn and to not being there for him his entire life after he was kidnapped and tortured in the Phantom Zone. He wants nothing to do with her and wants to stay with main universe's Superman. Main Universe's Wonder Woman without any idea what to do with her life ask for old man Bruce if she can star with him and he's oh so happy to oblige setting for her an entire section of the manor for her to live in. The end.

The current one is pretty good. And the Tim run before it even had nice things about it.

The megaverse would encompass the multiverses of every property DC/Vertigo has ever crossedover with. Marvel, Aliens/Predator, Judge Dredd, He-Man, TMNT, Power Rangers, etc. It's all canon.

Those take place in the main canon, though.

You have no idea. They got so many things wrong from the cartoons, fucked with so many cool concepts that could have potential and did so many convoluted and contrived stories that just made things all around worse. What they did with the Hawks was pure bullshit.

Swamp Thing, The Sandman, The Books of Magic, Lucifer, The Spectre, and The House of Mystery/Secrets all crossover with each other and are clearly part of the mainline DCU.

Lucifer and God were outside creation (in the over-void) during Flashpoint and Manhattan's meddling. Altering time wouldn't have affected them anyways, they're extra dimensional/multiversal beings.

Lucifer? Nah, The Presence leaving and being replaced plus the situation with Michael don't match up with heaven stuff in DCU. Lucifer's realm though totally falls on the same spot like Dreaming and can probably connect to whichever and whatever multiverse.

I'd go so far as to say they are cross-multiversal being like what Dream the Endless was called earlier. Even stronger than a extra dimensional being.

Maybe... after god eats Michael in The Spectre afterward that led to the situation where he was on Earth when Constantine screwed him over and that leads into Lucifer to the point where Michael became a true archangel again and during that time Day of Judgement took place?

Which Constantine? The main DCU Constantine that stayed young or the Vertigo Hellblazer Constantine that grew old?

Hellblazer. There's no reason why they can't be the same person. Magic.

They existed at the same time with two different ages. They are different universes.

These threads.

Change the filename to Hypercrisis threads

I know. Aren't they great.

The most I ever thought was
>The anti-monitor is the embodiment of not reading comics, to not monitor them.
>If nobody reads comics than they cease to be published
>His actions create more apathy toward reading comics in that they are of little consequence in the grand scheme
>Even if or especially if the multiverse is remade, he still wins

>The Anti Monitor not wanting comics destroyed a multiverse
>The Empty Hand always wanting more comics destroyed a multiverse
Comic Multiverses can't catch a break.

In DC the Bleed contains the universes that make up the multiverse and The Bleed exists in the Monitor Mind The Overvoid
In Marvel the Multiverse is suspended in The Superflow which is itself contained inside of The Nuetral Zone which sits surrounded by the Outer Void

My belief, and correct me if I'm wrong or this has been stated before, is that the Overvoid and Outer Void are in fact the same non space with the DC and Marvel Universes orbiting each other in a cosmic dance coming into contact briefly with the Crossovers like JLA/Avengers and DC Vs Marvel and skirting along the edges of each other to produce the laundry list of similar characters

Is this a fair assessment

I don't know enough about Marvel to say, and them being separate companies we probably will never get anything official about their shared cosmos.
I like to think they boarder each other though. Like said earlier if all of DC's multiverses are the DC Megaverse then it floats around near the Marvel Megaverse and occasionally bits jump from one to the other or they bump and have a crossover. That's just my thoughts though.

A boy falls in love with a girl.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

The girl dies, the the boy is so saddened that he develops dimension-jumping powers to find a girl like her. This is actually his superhero origin story.

If we assume that DC and Marvel are floating around in the same trans-literary soup we might want to think of that soup as a solution
Taking into account we have discussed in previous Hypercrisis threads how DC resembles a Krypton atom but what atomic structure does Marvel resemble if any
If Marvel and DC are thought of as atoms then the ideas, characters and themes they often share is best described as the exchange of electrons and the major crossovers are their attempts to form a molecule

Best Keit-ai variant.

Already a thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

But the thing about Krypton atoms is they are noble gases and don't exchange electrons or form molecules.

Don't forget about Hypertime.

Well the atoms and chemistry part of DC is just part of a bigger picture.
A big overarching idea with DC is that it is a living organism. We see it in the meta works, Morrison talks about it in interviews, and imagery such as ultramenstrum or bleed/blood. The atoms or universes make bonds and form molecules and cells or multiverses, and all the multiverses or cells make organs to make the megaverse or organism as a whole.

Marvel, however, as threads and people have said works with the Marvel Machine Theory. Marvel is a mechanical entry as opposed to the organism entity that is DC.

If what you are talking about combining is taken into this, then we have a machine and biological organism combination.
Effectively a united Marvel/DC would be a cyborg.

Then perhaps we should examine Marvel from a point other than chemical
If marvel is a machine the perhaps examining it's mathematical significance is in order, so what is significant about 616
616 is the sum of the squares of the factorials of 2,3,4. (2!)2 + (3!)2 + (4!)2 = 4+36+576=616.
4 The Fantastic Four are regarded as the beginning of the Marvel universe especially considering recent event that lead to 616-8
36 is the Atomic Number of Krypton
576 I'm having a little trouble with though

>Pic related is a cap someone made about Death the Endless
It's wrong. Blackest Night pretty clearly spelled out Nekron, and Nekron isn't Death.

Death of the Endless herself told Captain Atom that Nekron was an aspect of her.

That wasn't by Neil Gaiman. He was really pissed when DC did that without his permission. It was promptly reversed.

It's canon mate.

Maybe look at those numbers and how they work with algorhythms?

The basis for any coding is binary. What is Marvel universe's binary?

>Effectively a united Marvel/DC would be a cyborg.

616 is 1001101000

If anyone hasn't seen this yet, it's worth it.

Got some very interesting ideas in it. Tbh I wouldn't be too surprised if the guy posts in these threads.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZGDoIFvVAwM

Welcome to the Mystery Cult, brother.
Just cut an S onto your right hand, place it on the page where Flash dies in CoIE and say "I Shall Become a Bat."

Snikt / Bub?

Since when does Neil Gaiman get to decide how stuff works for the entire DC reality? "Yeah, my OC is ultimate and nobody gets to play with that"

I met Neil and he's a nice guy and I like his work, a lot - but even Jack Kirby didn't get to do that.

Didn't Death use to be a bitch? But now she isn't. Nekron is the bitchy part of her that got split off. Hey! Solved!

>It was promptly reversed.

Also, how?

This coming from one of his biggest fans.

Gaiman can be such a hypocritical child at times.

He doesn't want anyone to touch his precious fanfic characters and anytime someone does, he throws a tantrum and cries and bitches because 'not muh'.

...and yet there he is with his dick firmly inside the works of 9001 other writers.

It's like he's yet to realize that characters outlive their original creators, perhaps nowhere more than in comics.

Who wrote this?

Is Death meatgazing Captain Atom?

I've been trying to connect The Filth more directly to the rest of Morrison's DC work. The same rainbow colored parapersona goo that leaks from people in the FIlth leaks from Psycho Pirate in Animal Man when the pre-Crisis characters start bleeding back in, and it's the same multicolored shit that's pumped in to Ultra Comics.

It seems to connect most directly to Multiversity. The "knocking door" and framing device of zooming up from the fleas and cracks and bleed spaces seem to book-end The Filth as well.

and let's not forget Seven Soldiers.

>the dusty alcove on the border of annihilation and reality
>Limbo where nothing can happen, where the living are rendered forgotten until someone happens to remember them
>The crooked man with his crooked house in the Still Zone

Again, Magic. Constantine could just de-age himself or something.

Makes sense. I don't like the people who say the DC Multiverse is like the map, that's just what the DC Multiverses looks like in that instance. The positions of Earths in the map would be constantly changing like everything else in the universe. Everything always in motion.