/doag/ - Dumbing of Age General/Group Therapy Session

It's funny because she's a pervy lesbian.

Other urls found in this thread:

fastweb.com/career-planning/articles/the-35-weird-but-cool-college-majors
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>there's like a billion gender studies teachers

only in willis land

>hurr durr super overt and unbridled horniness is fun only if it's a lady wanting another lady

I hate everything

The incredibly thirsty lesbian is like the only amusing thing in this entire comic, stop whinging.

>sad online dorks to crush
>implying they get crushed
>implying everyone has as thin a skin as willis

Also he should really never draw Mike from the front again.

Holy shit, Willis made Mike's phone screen part of the transparent layer, and I thought I was going fucking crazy for a second seeing something other than a blank white screen in the hover image.

So are Ethan and Mike just regularly arguing with trolls online, or have they not left that bed for, like, two or three days or whatever?

Also,
>It's funny because she's a pervy lesbian.
To think that Willis considers himself a progressive when he has one character who is a perverted lesbian with little else to her character and another woman whose name is literally a play on "lesbian".

Anyways, the password is "horses". I don't know why; I thought it would be "journalists".

Well, might as well say goodbye to Daisy for the next few months. She's literally here for a punchline and Goodbye.

WTF?

Is it big enough to exploit? We need Mary/Carla pictures to go on that ASAP.

I think it's still the same day.

And don't forget the character who told everyone she was a lesbian like 40+ times in the span of one year, and one week in-universe.

I think growing up on transformers and GI Joe blinded willis to the concept of 'token' characters, and why many consider them just as offensive as the complete exclusion of minority groups.

theyre wearing different outfits, so its probably not the same day

>So are Ethan and Mike just regularly arguing with trolls online

I'm pretty sure Mike is still working on his "fuck Ethan (literally) to fuck with Danny (figuratively)" long game.

Arguing online together is just Mike's version of a romantic long walk on the beach.

i like the mike/ethan developments but i still hate that last panel. could he really not find a way to word that that didnt sound clunky and terrible?

Willis uses baby words in an attempt to sound interesting

>Ethan going full Hitler with the way his nose shadow is drawn.

Also is "absolutely shitting themselves" really the words to use for going nuts over a big story? What's wrong with "having a field day," "throwing a fit," "thanking god," "losing their minds,"etc?

Perhaps that phrase is on Willis' mind for some reason.

Kinda weird that this is drawing so much more media attention than the shooting

What do you mean password?

In Willis Land, politics > violence.

whenever Willis gets stressed he has a seizure and shits himself

maybe he just thinks it a normal thing for everyone?

that's everywhere though. that's the most accurate thing that a shooting gets downplayed for a scandal of a politician

Each strip has a title that connects it to its Internet URL. So if you guess the title, it's like a password to see the strip online before it's posted officially.

>Is it big enough to exploit? We need Mary/Carla pictures to go on that ASAP.

Sorry, user. It's barely big enough to make out something as simple as Dick Butt if you squint really hard.

That seems really exploitable.

Hey dudes, have a new comic.

Sorry that this one sucks, I'm just going through some stuff right now, but I had the need to just complete something.

Don't feel too bad. They're all terrible and we're used to it.

the exact place to be when youre emotionally compromised is somewhere where you already know everyone hates you, i fully understand your decision here

Dude

You realize that people aren't just yanking your leg when they say this shit, right?

Well, unless you just make it bigger.

Wait you can delete posts on Sup Forums?

Learn something new and retarded and useless every day.

You're a hero.

It's acceptable.

Not only that, but, considering that Leslie doesn't come out of the closet until shortly before the badly-drawn haircut, Daisy was the only out-and-out lesbian Willis had for years. This is what happens when you write a work that's nonsense unless you've read a bunch of other stuff.

Also, I looked through the archives, and I found something interesting. The first few strip with Daisy are actually...normal. She seems like a pretty competent head editor, and kind of a hardass too. But after the first gay joke, there are only two out of eleven other strips with her that don't end with a 'lol, look at how horny she is' joke. Willis actually had a half-decent character before he ran her into the fucking ground.

yeah, there's a button in the bottom right, near where you change your layout. certain boards won't let you(like /d/), but most do.

>like a billion gender studies teachers

FOR LITERALLY WHAT FUCKING PURPOSE. Gender studies is not that fucking important of a class. There should be like...2 MAX. That's like having 5 home ec teachers. Like...does everyone just teach one class a week, what the hell?

Well to be fair, one of the first things she says is "we're all gay in gender studies."

She also is very open about having a crush on Robin after she first shows up to class.

>FOR LITERALLY WHAT FUCKING PURPOSE

Because Willis craves those yummy Tumblr brownie points. Also because the only requirements to be a gender studies "teacher" in any universe, real or fictional, is to despise the cis scum and fight the patriarchy.

I think a degree in Puppet Arts is a more legitimate subject than Gender Studies.
fastweb.com/career-planning/articles/the-35-weird-but-cool-college-majors

question: are any of those billion gender studies teachers male?

i mean they probably aren't solely gender studies teachers.

you still need a degree

"Our growing department includes 11 full-time faculty members, numerous joint appointments, and over 37 outstanding affiliate faculty from a range of disciplines. In addition, more than 120 faculty on campus whose research interests include gender and/or sexuality are allied with Gender Studies. This rich and diverse faculty specialize in gender identity and sexuality studies; embodiment and scientific practice; cross-cultural, transnational, and historical perspectives on sex and gender; queer theory; social, institutional, and legal discourses of gender; mass media and popular culture; sexed bodies and health; literary and artistic constructions of gender and sex; the state, national identity, and citizenship; and gendered knowledge formations."

>queer theory
PffftAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAaaaaaaaaakillme

This is actually pretty similar to the stuff that literature majors study. One of my cohorts in my grad program was getting a gender studies certificate in addition to her Master's.

Anyone studying language and culture is going to be studying that kind of stuff.

If anyone cares, queer theory is when you study something (usually literature) in the context of marginalized genders and orientations.

Say, you could look at Harry Potter and talk about how it treats gayness. In that it hardly exists in the universe, despite Dumbledore being gay.

When Umbridge imposes rules about girls and boys staying a certain distance apart, it obviously doesn't account for gay/bi/etc. students. So that's something queer theory would point out.

You could also discuss how something reflects the treatment of LGBT+ people in real life, how it represents the culture at the time. Stuff like that.

The reason they can get away with calling it that is because the movement was mainly started by LGBT+ people to point out different contexts in literature that were being ignored. It's one of those "it's our word" things.

(I wasn't concentrating in literature specifically and took a couple of feminist-focused lit classes. Feminism isn't just about straight women, so lesbians and stuff definitely came up in class as topics.)

yeah I don't know why that's stated since the only Queer theory I know of is a literary study

I feel queer theory could also play into historical/sociological study. So like, how "queerness" has been defined and responded to throughout history/cross culturally. I took a Sex and Human Culture cultural anthropology class that, while not specifically about queer theory, did encompass it.

I have a hard time imagining any lesbians actually enjoying DoA. Does anyone know a lesbian who isn't horrified by the awful behavior of the lesbians in the comic?

> "It's okay when we do it."

Remember that time the Vice President shot a man in the face and the man apologized for getting shot in the face?

It's good that you're keeping your work ethic. I hope you come through whatever it is you're dealing with right now.

Just remember that you can't delete a post that's more than 1 hour (?) old
>tfw Umbridge was helping gay students get laid even more than usual

Maybe, but the last time we saw Ethan and Mike was doing just this. They may be wearing different clothing, but it feels like there hasn't been a passage of time between the two. Not even a joke where one of the two meets up with the other to discuss new targets or strategies.
It's sort of like my complaint about how Becky and Sayid were never shown having a proper introduction to each other. Willis just kind of brushes off the beginning of small details like that and dives straight into the middle, leaving the reader to assume that X had happened offscreen.

You'd think that, but it's still not possible to scrape a URL for a future comic without an automated script or a LOT of typing.
And I still haven't gotten around to making a script like that. School started up again, and I've gotta get back into the flow of things.

If I had to guess, it was because Willis ran out of ideas to make her unique to the rest of the cast, and didn't give her much in the way of development since she was always meant to be a minor character.

Isn't she also obsessed with Amazi-Girl?

Forget lesbians; I wanna know how alcoholics (former or otherwise) feel about Ruth and Billie's relationship.

What do you even do?

Data entry for a energy company.

What's the joke here? You're just doing the same shit as Willis with worse character designs and the genders reversed.

The joke is that he calls it a parody.

Does he call it a parody ironically?

No, he really thinks he's sticking it to Willis. This entire thing started because Willis made fun of him on twitter like a year ago.

>Sorry that this one sucks
>this one

>>there's like a billion gender studies teachers
>only in willis land
I mean, what are all those Gender Studies graduates going to do? Get real jobs?

As a bi person I find DoA abhorrent.

"I'll just DARE (this word is in bold) to do my "Mike things" to you, then.

Sorry, you're having a rough time.

The scout salute is 3 fingers, Willis you fucking hack.

t. eagle scout

Aren't scouts anti-gay anyway? Stealth shitlording by Mike?

Well he's trying to fuck Ethan over regardless, so

I doubt Mike was ever a boyscout.

We both know that Willis never thought of that and he just drew what he thinks the Scout salute is.

I dunno, the way the pinky is, it looks like he tried to draw the salute and fucked it up, so just drew it with the pinky straight. We know the fuck can't draw hands.

>We know the fuck can't draw hands.
Preach!

just... why everything, Willis? why even bother anymore?

i get that you think selling out is the "objective" of art, but i don't get why you think it's a black and white issue. could you maybe try to be good? try to improve or experiment? something, anything? i'm honestly getting tired of the same four arguments in these threads, something i thought couldn't happen, and i want you to step out of your comfort zone to at least break the monotony.

or is this what you wanted? the dull murmur of sycophants and the desertion of all critique? because one day you'll stop hearing the murmur, Willis, and you'll realize you're all alone with your aspie wife and down-syndrome children, and all you'll have to show for it is a pile of mediocrity that everyone forgot.

>could you maybe try to be good? try to improve or experiment? something, anything?
> i want you to step out of your comfort zone to at least break the monotony.
>or is this what you wanted? the dull murmur of sycophants and the desertion of all critique?

I don't know, user. Let's ask Willis.

>"And so I thought to myself, okay, what kind of story can I write effortlessly without having to put my nose in the Internet and spend thousands of dollars on toys that should be buying my kid food instead? WELL, COLLEGE, OBVIOUSLY. Take all my characters, reboot them, and just write them forever, because I know I can. It’s my wheelhouse. I can write that on autopilot, blindfolded. "

>write effortlessly
>on autopilot, blindfolded

Willis says no.
All those things you want to see? They require _effort_ and cannot be banged out for a newspaper serial format, three-month queue at a time. Experimentation would demand that autopilot be sacrificed.

i hate that he actually said these things. he draws like he's in his first year of college, and he writes like a jock in a creative writing class. way to go David Weenus, you shot for mediocrity and you barely made it. keep acting like you're some sort of visionary artist with breathtaking foresight, and just add someone with a different skintone but acts like every other cast member when the act starts to feel faked. and remember: being trans is ALWAYS a substitute for characterization.

fucking hack.

>being trans is ALWAYS a substitute for characterization

Don't forget. So is being black, gay, half-black, mute, lesbian, quarter-black, muslim, christian, autistic, or a straight white male.

The worst part is that "without having to put my nose in the Internet and spend thousands of dollars on toys that should be buying my kid food instead?" is a perfectly valid and understandable reason to switch tracks and write something that doesn't require as much upkeep on current trends, especially when you've got something like kids that need your focus and time. The problem is that, by the end, Shortpacked! was wasn't really focused on toys and topical niche humor at all.

Oddly enough Hispanic has only come up twice.

he still spends a hundred bucks on transformers every week or so

he post about it all the time on his twitter

For the first 3 panels, I thought Ethan was resting his head on Mark's arm.

Well, babies don't need THAT much food, right?

Plus they probably won't need a college fund based on how much of a useless nightmare their daddy thinks it is based on his half-year experience.

It's really sad to see you guys getting mad over what's essentially hyperbole.

Something about the way Mike looks in panel 4 is making me feel uncomfortable.

I'd suggest he spends far less that, but his Patreon DOES enable such spending habits.

We honestly wonder if Willis is going to try so hard to be a progressive and "cool" parent that it backfires upon him and his kids begin to shy away from and distrust him.

The problem is that most of us know exactly how small Gender Studies programs actually are. IU's current Gender Studies program has 12 core faculty members.

The problem is that hyperbole is being used in a situation where it should not be. Schools don't actually have all that many different teachers/subject. There are a few more for the core classes that everyone needs to graduate like chem 1xx, but for an elective that only attracted a class of a few dozen, I'd guess there's 2 or 3 teachers tops teaching different classes. Maybe even less since it's so niche. I know my community college basically gave a guy free reign to make his own race studies class, and he was the only one who taught it.

the problem is there was a school shooting less than a week ago (or was it two?) and this is the story that's getting the media blitz. but then, Ethan seems so abnormally detached from the news, though i'm pretty confident he has Leslie's gender studies class and this should probably personally interest him. ESPECIALLY since this shit happened directly after Robin came to speak with Leslie's gender studies class.

but then i'm the idiot for expecting a reasonably human reaction from a character in this comic anyway because what has given me a reason to expect that?

It might be just a little over a week.
And I think that in retrospect, Willis shouldn't have ever done the school shooting arc. If he wanted to tell the story, he should have just made it a straight kidnapping at the fountain, without having ever brought the gun into play. Plus, he could have given Dina something to do by having her be kidnapped as well, with implications of giving her over to Mike "Shock The Butt Monkey" Pence, if you catch my drift.

But involving gun violence was simply a mistake. I wish I could explain it in more detail, but for the most part it just opens up a larger can of worms than a kidnapping would have done.

That's fair.

It's just that the folks above you couldn't get that across without sounding, ehh, Sup Forums-ish

I wanna saw he did a school shooting because they were big in the news at the time

Willis likes to chase tragedies to get people to read his comic

Sup Forumss just feeling a bit randy since the inauguration

I wouldn't worry about it too much

You're probably correct, though Willis' buffer normally prevents him from being entirely on the pulse of the news.

Hell, just look at how this RA "election" storyline is going on after the actual election concluded. Which reminds me, I wonder how drunk Willis got during the inauguration.

he ate a hat as a joke, that's about it

he's was honestly pretty subdued during the election and inauguration, which is honestly even weirder

I believe he drank heavily the night of the election.

>Ethan seems so abnormally detached from the news, though i'm pretty confident he has Leslie's gender studies class and this should probably personally interest him
Nope, he's not in the class, and Mike's question makes it seem like he's not in *any* gender studies class, because he'd ask him if it was his teacher if so.

Willis did completely downplay the lingering effect a shooting on campus would have on people.

"Downplay" is an understatement. He just skipped ahead three days in the timeline to bypass any potential complications resulting from a police investigation into Toedad's motivations, specifically Becky being outed as a homeless squatter.

Yeah, you're right, he completely ignored it. I don't even think it really phased Amber at all, despite her near death experience. She was more disturbed about Sal than her own safety, which feels like a thing that could've been explored way more than it was.

Come to think of it, Mary's paranoia would probably cause her to be pretty anxious after the shooting. He should've had her react to Carla's prank with the assumption that something horrible was going to happen and just had a nervous breakdown, instead of grabbing a box for no discernible reason at all.

Hell, just look at what the school had the RAs do to discuss the shooting: Literally next to nothing other than get the wing together and read from a clipboard.
This may have just been at my own dorm, but if there was a topic worth discussing at large, we'd have had entire floor meetings, not simply limited to one wing at a time.

On another topic of the same vein: Somehow NOBODY had any feelings about the shooting, as if everybody knew it happened and went "Eh, it happens."

the only fallout from the shooting was Ruth saying school shootings don't happen in Canada

Which is a bold faced lie

It's amazing how Willis will probably NEVER bring up the idea that IU is still completely unaware of Becky's existence on campus, despite the likely police investigation of the events.

But I guess by the time they DO realize that Becky is a squatter, she'll have garnered enough money to pay off rent. Because I guess all she's good for now is working at Galasso's, to the point that it pays for her education. Well, I suppose there's also Joyce's dad loaning her money.

Posting the strip for context.

But yeah, the idea that no one was like, "Ruth, what the fuck, I'm fucking scared and you've completely failed to help" is complete bullshit. He was so wrapped up in the Mary drama that he completely fucked up the rest of his story.

is he not? i thought the entire cast was, but then, they only go to class once every real-time year and i'm not going to sift back through the archives to verify anything.
remember how Amber fell through the windshield of a fast-moving car? neither does the narrative!

And apparently his beef with Mary was so important that he scrapped a much better series of events to put more emphasis on her.

Either Willis still has a thing for Mary, or Willis slept through whatever writing courses he took in college and never learned how to focus.

I'm almost tempted to give Willis five bucks just to get a glimpse at all his Patreon-exclusive commentary, whatever that may be.

>is he not? i thought the entire cast was
nah its just joyce, joe, dorothy, and walky.
and mike sat in on one class but hes not in it

oh, and roz, obviously. forgot about her somehow

The stuff on the left is better. It's refreshing to see Walky grapple with a serious situation, and the quiet way Dorothy slips in there when he talks about not having to face scary situations alone is actually kinda sweet.

Okay, Dina doing the raptor pounce thing is silly, but if he's going to turn Mary into such a cartoony villain, why not have her be slammed in a cartoony fashion?

so do people just randomly lay about holding hands while eating in a living room?
also LOL STEVEN UNIVERSE