Why did Rick sacrifice himself if he could just get a duplicate Morty from a similar dimension?

Why did Rick sacrifice himself if he could just get a duplicate Morty from a similar dimension?

Because he likes this one.
This is HIS Morty.

depends on how rick is this particular rick is.

Mortys are rare multidimensional merchandize

Because the show is lowkey very optimistic. The characters are all cynical assholes, but still can't stop themselves from choosing the selfless route when put in high pressure situations.

because each morty is a product of his rick thats why we saw one morty that was super smart his rick was most likely the dumb rick from that one ep each rick are very different from each other which is why some are down with the counsel and other are against it and like rick said himself there is 1 morty for every rick

There are so many universes though that he could have certainly found a replacement Morty.

Remember in S1 where they found a duplicate universe with the same family? Everything from then on isn't even with the same people technically but it works the same.

This. It's the magic of Dan Harmon. He's simultaneously a huge softie, and also has the bitterness that comes from being a softie in a world that constantly lets you down.

>thats why we saw one morty that was super smart his rick was most likely the dumb rick from that one ep

Except he already had a Morty.

if you ever even attempt to find a error in my theory I will have your ASS

Is he?

A reminder that Beth said she hadn't seen her father for 20 years but when Rick's mind is probed in this episode he remembers the birth of Morty, which is 14.

Why would Rick invent things if another Rick could just do it?

Why run from the Galactic Government when he could go to a dimension where Birdperson doesn't get married?

Why wake up in the morning?

Rick is an artist and he creates and he fights against a universe that he knows is finite and cruel and everything he does can easily be dismissed as pointless. Going to a new dimension and setting up shop is always a last resort.

Because this show makes no sense because of the alternate universe stuff. Pretty much any problem they have could be solved by going over to another universe to find the solution.

>considering checking out Rick And Morty
>look up how many seasons it has
>It only has 2
What the hell. Why I've never really watched the show, I could have sworn this show had more seasons than just 2. I feel like I've walked into some other universe.

*while, not why

He lost the portal gun. He set it to self destruct when Tammy tried to take it during Bird Person's wedding.

He could be remember because he saw the video.
It could just be an oversight by the writers.

That's his grandson, and he loves him. Rick's an unrepentant asshole in a lot of ways, but his love for his family is genuine and fairly consistent. You're probably right in pointing out that he could always just get another, but that's not what he was thinking in the moment. In the moment, he was a grandfather about to watch his grandson die. He did what any grandparent would have done.

>his rick was most likely the dumb rick
Doofus Rick was too stupid to ever get laid. He never had Beth and therefore never had a Morty or Summer.

Strange to see an animalistic urge being promoted in a show where nothing matters.

>nothing matters
Not true. Even in the outright statement of nihilism by Morty to Summer he ends by saying "come watch TV with us", which is a statement of love.

Yeah, but that's Morty.
Not Rick.

Rick does stuff for Morty sometimes. Like cheer him up after he's almost raped (and take revenge later).

That's the thing, though- Rick's the biggest proponent of the "nothing really matters because we live in just one of an infinite number of realities" mindset on the show, but he's also the biggest slave to basic human emotions, love in particular. It's heavily implied that the reason he self-medicates so heavily is because he can't endure the near-constant emotional pain he's in.

The theme of the show is definitely that nothing matters, but I think it's also trying to explore the other side of that coin- that if nothing matters on a larger scale, then the only thing that can really possibly have meaning for any form of sentient life is how they live in the moment... Which technically means EVERYTHING they do matters.

Rick's fundamentally aware of this, and he's still an asshole. And he can't stand that about himself.

>that if nothing matters on a larger scale, then the only thing that can really possibly have meaning for any form of sentient life is how they live in the moment... Which technically means EVERYTHING they do matters

You just described my philosophy. Everyone assumes that because nothing matters on a scale of trillions of years, that nothing matters at all. But everything matters in the span of your lifetime and that is something to worry about.

It's called "cheerful nihilism".

Different user, but I struggle with that cheerful bit.

He was assigned a Morty specifically because he was too much of a dumbass to get married and have kids. He never had a Morty of his own. Everyone seems to forget that line.

>Everyone seems to forget that line.

And which line specifically would that be?

this show has no continuity and nothing makes sense

people need to stop reading into shit and coming up with retarded theories

isn't the federation interdimensional too? in the first episode, when rick's portal gun runs out of juice, they have to use a federation portal to get back.

>this show has no continuity and nothing makes sense
But that's factually wrong.
Bird Person meets his fiance in one episode and gets married in another.
The whole Morty speech to Summer is predicated on continuity about his corpse buried in the yard from another episode.

because he cares for morty

He cares for Morty for the same reason he cares for Beth and Summer.
They have some of his DNA in them. They're literally a part of him.

The choose one

But Beth and Summer don't share any DNA with him. They share DNA with that world's Rick and Morty. He literally abandoned the Beth and Summer that do share his DNA.

They could only do that 3 times, maybe 4 more times total.

Well, presumably since the universe was so similar they still share "DNA".

>why character acted like decent human being?

This rick wasn't like the other ricks that trade and sell Morty's. He recognizes this Morty as an individual, it was kind of the point of "Close Rick-counters of the Rick Kind".

A recurring theme in the show is that, despite the cosmic existentialism, Rick isn't above the idea that he matters, or what he cares about matters. He likes to think he is, but he isn't. It's the little humanity he has left in him

One thing about this scene I don't get is how the collars could work when they swapped them. The collar Morty had was the one Rick was wearing in every other splinter timeline.

I assumed that the collars were outside of the whole situation, like the testicle man they came from. Every version of a person needs to wear one to sync themselves but since the collar itself is outside the process and doesn't need to be synced up, they can wear whichever and it doesn't matter.

The collars were just a device.
They likely figured out who the wearer is and then connects them to the others.
Not that they're specifically made for a specific person.
Did that make sense, what I said there?

And Rick has admitted to succumbing to his animalistic urges constantly. He's impulsive.

Because he loves his grandson, and no amount of similar Morties could replace his Morty. Much as he'd like to disagree, his actions speak for themselves.

Because he's a human being and sometimes he does irrational things dictated by emotions and brain chemicals.

It has continuity.

You're just too stupid to follow it.

No you idiot, op is talking about the episode where they split the time stream apart.

He is The One True Morty.

I'll tell you why _______________________________________________its reddit and memey___________________________________________________________________________

but why doesn't he just get rid of his emotions with an device

Because its part of who he is.
That's why he tries to kill himself.
He wants to die but he doesn't want to be retarded.
And part of what makes Rick so smart is his personality.
And part of a personality is a person's emotions.

Well thats just retarded

>Why would Rick invent things if another Rick could just do it?
He trusts nobody, not even himself.

Because their inventions doesn't usually work very well, so there is a chance or getting lobotomized by it.

Honest question
couldn't rick invent something that makes him immortal?
Like a backup of his brain or something?

It was supposed to have to a third season early this year, but it kept being delayed to the point it's on an indefinite hiatus.

He could but that would pretty much make any story they could possibly write fucking meaningless.
Also, we don't know how their universe works or how the technology works, etc... blah, blah blah.

No, what happened was Harmon or someone, like an idiot, said it would start airing by December of 2016.
Its been pushed back but it certainly isn't on "hiatus" as the season is already well into production.

They already jumped Dimensions, you only get permission to do like two of those

Except Rick outright stated in that episode, too, that finding Universes that are similar enough to integrate are difficult to find and that he can only pull that shit a few times.

Permission? I'm pretty sure the Council of Ricks would be pissed to find out he replaced any universe's Rick as it would basically mean he's living under someone else's identity.
Could be why he's in prison.

thanks for giving me a name for my philosophy.

If you understand all of the previous stuff on how nothing has inherent importance so the only thing that is important is yourself, and you're stilling feeling bad user it might simply be biological and not philosophical.

Our bodies can be utter shits and I'd recommend finding a drug related way to balance yourself.

He already killed a Rick and a Morty in the Cronenberg episode. And in that episode Rick said they only get a few of those.

He said they only get a few because Not because "permission". Remember, the Council of Ricks seem to know each other via universe designations.

Who says he hasn't, already?

Rick says a lotta profound shit about the nature of Ricks and Morties that kinda allude to the possibility that he's already had more than one in the past. Perhaps he's as attatched to the one he has right now because it's closest to the one he lost.

After all, what are the chances that the Rickest Rick and the Mortiest Morty would happen to spawn in the same universe anyway?

Probably yes, but with several failures that could cost his life.

>The theme of the show is definitely that nothing matters, but I think it's also trying to explore the other side of that coin- that if nothing matters on a larger scale, then the only thing that can really possibly have meaning for any form of sentient life is how they live in the moment... Which technically means EVERYTHING they do matters.

This is what Nihilism actually means.

Writers did it to boost morality in the morally corrupt character.
We aren't supposed to think Rick hates his Morty.

>T-this is my Morty! It was made for me! Can't you see it?!
>W-woah, Rick, why are you getting so close to me, h-hey, why are you taking off your clothes, HEY GET AWAY RICK