So in the Bladerunner universe the Replicants, biological androids, are used as slave labor. But realistically speaking...

So in the Bladerunner universe the Replicants, biological androids, are used as slave labor. But realistically speaking, why not just create regular robots?

We are robots

because only carbon based lifeforms can sustain a soul. non-carbon automatons with a diamond structure for instance can't have souls.

probably because replicants can be grown/cloned and are self repairing

Because bladerunner is actually biopunk, not cyberpunk so robots don't make sense in that universe

#replicantlifematters
Fuck humans! If they did not interfere, all replicants would see spaceships

Because they wanted to be able to fuck them, too

Easier to program, more adaptable

the replicants in essence are tailor made humans

it's tremendously evil

This 6000%

>s-s-s-souls exist and aren't just a made up word to represent the human mind! we are unique god said so!! GOD SAID SOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why does a mining or farming robot need a soul?

Because Tyrell wanted to live forever, he wanted his memories to be in a Replicant, this is why it was so important to create a Replicant capable of beating a Voight Kampf test.

Such an obvious answer that brainlets can't comprehend

replicants had human level intelligence. easier to create that with wetware.

How would you power them?

>made up word

Like "mind"?

>manual labor workers needing human intelligence
They even say in the movie that they dumb down the worker replicants. There is literally no reason to not have robots do basic shit as opposed to fake humans who will inevitably rebel.

Um, electricity?

This, basically. Their tech is actually clunky bullshit. They don't have the capability of making components small and/or complex enough to make an autonomous "robot." That's why they still use shitty monitors and and clicky, chunky, whirring bullshit like microfilm machines.

The plot point that fucks over the protaganists again and again is that they built the replicants to possess super strength and vitality. Why not give them the same strength as humans but equip them with superpowered tools that have an automatic killswitch should a replicant attempt to use them as weapons?

they were used for a variety of purposes, not just as manual labor. batty was a soldier, pris was a whore, zhora was an assassin, K was a detective, Luv did damn near everything for Wallace, etc.

He has a flying robot that does all kinds of shit. You act like picking grubs or mining rocks is some intricate shit.

Alright, the vast majority of the ones are going to be doing manual labor. At least the ones Wallace needed for colonizing faster.

In the Bladerunner universe the space race never stopped and the microprocessor branch of technology is much less advanced.

you baka ass nigga it helps if they're fully autonomous and can easily communicate with humans and shit, even the ones that do menial shit. sapper morton could perform the functions that would take several different types of machines.

They obviously had little foresight in creating them.

>Lets make disposable slaves that look just like us and are almost completely indestenguishable from us. Also, lets make them stronger and smarter than us because why not! What the fuck could go wrong

Yeah, and how did that turn out for them. They have a rebellion of fucking super strong, human looking androids that is going to tear their society apart. Just use fucking dumb robots.

the robots were probably nexus 1 the replicants we see in the movies are nexus 6 and up people are so used to seeing robots as machines that they figure the nexus 6s are basically the same as the nexus 1s but they just look like us which would be kind of badass to see. I don't think anyone realizes there's anything morally wrong with the nexus 6s or anything different about there mentality even Deckard who hunts replicants just sees them as machines the only one who could know the reality is Tyrell

We have drones too, does that mean we have autonomous humanoid robots? Simpleton.

No, but it does mean we’re real fucking close to replacing most menial labor with robots.

>Menial
Again, why are you pulling this shit out of your ass? All of the replicants shown weren't doing menial labor. Executive assistant/assassin, Blade Runner, Combat Medic, Soldier, Record Keeper.

>Dude they were only picking le grubs and mining
No.

Not him but the bladerunner universe developed different technologies. They are more advanced in aerospace and biotech while we are far more advanced in conventional information processing and robotics.

This fat kid is bad ass.

In the book they were proper androids but in the movie universe they have always been biroids.

I don't think it's establish that they've always been bioroids I don't remember hearing anything about the earlier nexus models in the blade runner movies

It's just my death of the author interpretation. We see a world still using CRT displays and microfilm, making due without any of the technologies you would expect to see in a world capable of making commercial ready androids. The Bladerunner universe appears to be a world where the space race with the USSR never ended, consigning the bulk of technological progress to aerospace, and a genius named Tyrell made tremendous progress in biotechnology.

>non-carbon
>diamond
uhhhh user

Aren't all words made up?

Don't talk shit about god you faggot or I'll jihad your ass.

seems like its pretty easy to erase someones mind in that universe

My point exactly!

Blade Runner vs Alien when

they dont have the tech for advanced robotics

this. nothing beats biological efficiency as long as you give it food and a place to shit. machines are expensive and complex.

you cant just add punk to something and make it a genre

try and stop him faggot

yes i can, its called punkpunk

You better shut up before I introduce you to spunkpunk

DOUBLE DUBS OF WISDOM AND TRUTH

that's stupidly wrong
in the book they had organs and shit

More friendly.

it's easier to just copy and modify natural human DNA than it is to try and make autonomous machines that are comparably versatile and reliable to replicants.

I imagine a replicant who can operate some heavy equipment is more efficient in a task like off-world construction than all but the most customized (and expensive) automated construction machines would be.

Are replicants still assembled piece by piece in 2049? How do they do things like attach the pre-assembled eyeball (with its own serial number) to the optic nerve / brain? Or grow the flesh onto the bones? Do their brains have serial numbers printed on them, or are they grown inside their skulls?

I always assumed they suspended all the parts together in like a mold / vat and then used some kind of stem-cell jelly to grow connective tissues between parts

How is reddit triggered by a soul