How well does it hold up these days?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWzAAX_4MY
youtube.com/watch?v=Okd4ISkI8mg
murderpedia.org/male.B/b/bateson-paul.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=AkIqFK3KoZ4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Still pretty great

Great movie but anyone who says this is the scariest movie ever made is so full of shit.

agreed on both points.

I would go the extra mile though and say it's better than great and a legit masterpiece.

Still great for the writing, performances, cinematography, etc. In terms of horror, it holds up about as well as other big 70s horror movies. Just don't go in expecting the scariest movie ever made and you'll probably enjoy it.

your mother sucks cocks in hell

>In terms of horror, it holds up about as well as other big 70s horror movies.

what does this even mean. what advances in portraying horror did we make since the '70s?

I still think it's the scariest film of all-time. Ultimately, it's about when you see it. If you see it as a kid, it's likely to scare you. If you're an adult that's already watched Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Last Exorcism and all that, you probably won't find The Exorcist scary. It's the Seinfeld effect for sure. Scares aside, it's a masterpiece.

Lots of people, especially younger audiences, unfortunately can't get over the pacing over older horror movies of the era like Texas Chainsaw, Alien, Halloween, etc. That's all I'm saying.

The scene in the hospital still messes me up.

So good that even Burning Angel remade it.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWzAAX_4MY

Don't watch it on more than 1 hit of acid.

no. now go away.

O shit. Do you know this from experience?

You wanna know how I know you've never seen The Exorcist?

Dominion is better.

Do tell.

Brilliant movie but not the scariest movie of all time, but it is very unsettling

Many old horror movies do have that strange despairing atmosphere from beginning to end that is hard to find in new films.

I think he's referring to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Okd4ISkI8mg

Yeah that's the one.

Even crazier when you find out the male nurse in the movie was a serial killer

That's just good filmmaking. Turn of the millenium J-horror has that same tone, but yeah nobody gets it right anymore.

hm, i didn't see this thread so i'll just paste what i wrote in horror general:
>i watched the theatrical cut of the exorcist last night and it's one of the greatest films of all time desu. perfect editing, captivating cinematography, ghastly but gorgeous soundtrack and sound engineering, stellar acting etc. not to mention the film works on few paradigms because friedkin is one of the few filmmakers whose turboautism comes close to kubrick's and hitchcock's. true masterpiece of kino

Anyone else think the drunken, old guy was trying, or did molest the girl?

Going to need some more info on this.

If I recall correctly, the book just says he was checking on her and that Reagan liked him. It was the demon killing him just for the fuck of it.

murderpedia.org/male.B/b/bateson-paul.htm

Crazy to think how influential this movie was. EVERYONE saw it when it came out, and it was quickly the highest grossing movie of the year and the highest grossing horror movie of all time. It was an absolute phenomenon. Imagine being alive then and seeing it in theaters on opening day.
Are we ever going to get a horror movie that has that kind of effect on an audience? It wasn't even until this year that an R-rated movie beat Exorcist for highest-grossing R-rated movie. And by percent-of-population, it's not even a comparison.
youtube.com/watch?v=AkIqFK3KoZ4

Yeah, this guy.

Damn that's pretty interesting.

that crucifix penetration scene fucking ALWAYS makes me cross my legs and i feel a tingle in my balls, fuck this shit.

bump

>tfw no comfy Exorcist show threads

It's actually pretty good. And I don't usually like old movies

Yep 1 hit no big deal so took second hit and was like NOPE.

Totally holds up. The sound design alone is just insane.